• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't watch TUF yet :(

Pretty sure if you get shot in a middle of war you'll still be able to run around swapping rocket launchers and killing fools lol

I agree with a) and b).

C) doesn't bother me. D) is just humor.

The complains about realism, and saying nobody cares about the SP is just borderline stupid because Battlefield 3 only sold 12 million copies because the SP looked awesome, even though it ended up being a steaming pile of donkey shit.

Visually though, man the game looks amazing and folks saying Killzone looks better or that it looks like BF3 on ultra are taking the piss. The later is all the funnier because it comes from dudes with high end machines who buy high end machines just so they can crank up the settings, because you know...from medium settings to ultra is such a huge leap, but somehow they don't see the leap in this lol

Sure does, that bit where the transport helicopter crashed looked like CGI.

I wish you had to cut that dude's arm off because I'd be able to make a bad pun like "That was quite humerus!"

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I watched it and I think I'm over the whole spectacle thing that has proliferated the past 5 years. Not to mention BF3's campaign was horrible.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I watched it and I think I'm over the whole spectacle thing that has proliferated the past 5 years. Not to mention BF3's campaign was horrible.

It still has the same problems as every shooter ever did. Enemies still look as dumb as fuck. You're still shooting an M16. When youre getting into a vehicle you just magically teleport..they really couldnt have implemented a simple animation to enter/exit vehicles? smh. Every of those scenarios played out exactly how you expected them to. 9 out of 10 times if there's a chopper in a shooter it will either try to kill you by tipping over and mincing you with propeller blades..or once you shoot it down it will magically accelerate 200 percent in a straight line and then fall directly in front of your speeding vehicle..or in this case both of those. Also yea the campaigns in battlefield are almost always weak sauce. You know you got issues when your side game (bad company) is more interesting than your main room show piece.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I hope more gamers continue to realize how stale the shooter genre is. That shit was old even when the current crop of consoles launched much less now.

That being said, studios like DICE and Guerilla are only there to push technology and make great looking games so I'm not going to waste any time talking about the lack of gameplay innovation in Killzone and Battlefield. They do a great job at the shit they focus on.

Heel

I think we can all agree that the best part of that reveal was the opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sCrhRPCMg

lTrukOJ.gif

I hope more gamers continue to realize how stale the shooter genre is. That shit was old even when the current crop of consoles launched much less now.

That being said, studios like DICE and Guerilla are only there to push technology and make great looking games so I'm not going to waste any time talking about the lack of gameplay innovation in Killzone and Battlefield. They do a great job at the shit they focus on.

i don't even think the FPS genre is stale, there's only so much you can with it.

i just wish companies take the shooting to new places, which is why i enjoy stuff like Bioshock, Killzone or Halo. they're fictional universes, so designers can come with anything they want, any type of enemies, of guns, of locations, of crazy plots involving ancient alien races or cities in the sky.

BF and CoD are just... boring, sterile and they can't do anything about it because by copying real world guns and locales, they're constrained in what they can do.

my 2 cents.

real talk: what videogame genre is innovative or pushing boundaries?

i'll wait for an answer.

Exactly.

Games have been the same for two decades by now. It's about execution these days, just like movies are.

I think we can all agree that the best part of that reveal was the opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-sCrhRPCMg

lTrukOJ.gif

Can't fault DIce for having a sense of humor.

i don't even think the FPS genre is stale, there's only so much you can with it.

i just wish companies take the shooting to new places, which is why i enjoy stuff like Bioshock, Killzone or Halo. they're fictional universes, so designers can come with anything they want, any type of enemies, of guns, of locations, of crazy plots involving ancient alien races or cities in the sky.

BF and CoD are just... boring, sterile and they can't do anything about it because by copying real world guns and locales, they're constrained in what they can do.

my 2 cents.

I agree. Folks waiting for some sort of pariah evolution in genre gameplay are crazy. There's only so many ways you can make a gun shoot in a military shooter.

MjFrancis

real talk: what videogame genre is innovative or pushing boundaries?

i'll wait for an answer.
Real(er) talk: what genre needs innovation? I just want what we've been given over the past half-decade-plus to be refined.

I like shooters but I mostly go third-person, so I'll look at that. All sorts of awesome mechanics that have barely been explored here.

• Active reload - why don't more games have this?
  • Constantly depleting health ala Lost Planet's T-ENG.
  • Score attack or fast-paced action like Vanquish.
  • Allowing co-op players to utilized separate difficulty curves - love this.
  • RE6 and Riddick have the same partially regenerating health system.
  • More CQC combat like Gears 1-3 or even FPS games like Condemned.
What do I want dumped? XP that unlocks abilities and perks (Gears XP is for superficial game changes, so that's tolerable). This is popular because it decreases the skill necessary to beat better players. It's introduced the grind (everyone's favorite part of the best genre in the world, JRPG's) into the shooter. Noobs were pissed they were getting schooled in QIII and now we have aim-assist, kill-streaks, perks, and weapon unlocks. The pendulum has swung from almost entirely skill-based shooters to watered-down, lukewarm monotony.

Can Crusher said:
Games have been the same for two decades by now.
If you really believe this you have been playing games at only the most superficial of levels.

Even shoot 'em ups have grown as a genre from the 1990's to the early 2010's, let alone any FPS, TPS, RPG or RTS you could think of at either end of that two decade time frame.

MjFrancis

every genre evolves. Tekken 2 and 3 play almost nothing alike, and yet are separated by 2 years.
An even better example, thank you.

Even take the sport of fighting. What's up with the lack of innovation in that? Shit has barely changed since they got rid of the victory-by-killing-your-opponent mechanic.

If you really believe this you have been playing games at only the most superficial of levels.

Even shoot 'em ups have grown as a genre from the 1990's to the early 2010's, let alone any FPS, TPS, RPG or RTS you could think of at either end of that two decade time frame.

How have they grown?

Doom is about killing a bunch of monsters non stop, then Medal of Honor Allied Assault brought the great innovation that were scripted moments and bam there you have every COD like game out there. Game x or game y will introduce little stuff like cover mechanics, but it's pretty much the same concept, but now with amazing tech and ability to make it feel like a movie.

System shock was released in 94 mate. What exactly has changed since then? Platformers are the same shit as ever. TPS's, yeah they went 3d and added a cover system or a squad system or whatever, what changed? Look at Uncharted, shit is the same thing as Metal Slug man.

RTS's, what exactly has changed? You countrol a bunch of units with your mouse, and you just pit them against other units.

RPG's, lol man. Now that is a genre that hasn't changed for shit. The only thing these days that will allow for a radically different way of playing videogames are some revolutionary interface, some incredible breakthrough in A.I or whatever. I mean look at the list you made for 3rd person changes, that shit is insignificant it's baby steps. They are still games about a 1 man army dude, no matter how you slice it and dice it, the conventions are still the same.

every genre evolves. Tekken 2 and 3 play almost nothing alike, and yet are separated by 2 years.

But what exactly evolved? It's still 2 dudes on a 2D plane going at each other, and they have health bars and the 1st to beat the other wins. It has been the same formula since like Mortal Kombat.

MjFrancis

Look at Uncharted, shit is the same thing as Metal Slug man.
It's no big deal, man I found your problem. You're playing games with the same passivity you watch movies with.

You're describing the genres in the same way I'd describe board games as "one genre." Chess is not checkers, just how Doom is not Quake III is not Gears of War is not Call of Duty. Yes, you just run around and shoot things. Well, you move pieces on a board in chess and checkers. The mechanics, skill, depth and complexity of these games are all different.

It's no big deal, man I found your problem. You're playing games with the same passivity you watch movies.

You're describing the genres in the same way I'd describe board games as "one genre." Chess is not checkers, just how Doom is not Quake III is not Gears of War is not Call of Duty.

Gameplay has been standardized to the point where if you learn how to play Gears of War 1, you will be able to pick up every damn 3rd person shooter out there and be at ease with everything inside 15 minutes.

That's what I'm talking about. Those folks wishing for next gen games to suddenly become some never before seen stuff in terms of game design are in for a shock, unless of course they just want to see small shit like active reload and cover mechanics type of stuff.

How have they grown?

Doom is about killing a bunch of monsters non stop, then Medal of Honor Allied Assault brought the great innovation that were scripted moments and bam there you have every COD like game out there. Game x or game y will introduce little stuff like cover mechanics, but it's pretty much the same concept, but now with amazing tech and ability to make it feel like a movie.

System shock was released in 94 mate. What exactly has changed since then? Platformers are the same shit as ever. TPS's, yeah they went 3d and added a cover system or a squad system or whatever, what changed? Look at Uncharted, shit is the same thing as Metal Slug man.

RTS's, what exactly has changed? You countrol a bunch of units with your mouse, and you just pit them against other units.

RPG's, lol man. Now that is a genre that hasn't changed for shit. The only thing these days that will allow for a radically different way of playing videogames are some revolutionary interface, some incredible breakthrough in A.I or whatever. I mean look at the list you made for 3rd person changes, that shit is insignificant it's baby steps. They are still games about a 1 man army dude, no matter how you slice it and dice it, the conventions are still the same.

you're taking things to the bare essence of it. every game can be boiled down to "it's X doing Y while Z happens".

But what exactly evolved? It's still 2 dudes on a 2D plane going at each other, and they have health bars and the 1st to beat the other wins. It has been the same formula since like Mortal Kombat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml6WIxxo0WA

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNLEhRfDPE

don't be dense, bro.

you're taking things to the bare essence of it. every game can be boiled down to "it's X doing Y while Z happens".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml6WIxxo0WA

vs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJNLEhRfDPE

don't be dense, bro.

I'm not saying the games haven't evolved, I'm saying games haven't fundamentally changed. Because the ideas behind them are mostly the same, and they replicate what has been done before but do it better. That's what I'm tryin to say man. It's why now you have these studios starting to say that eventually it's the story and the worlds that will really set games apart, because gameplay keeps getting more and more standardized.

MjFrancis

High level play affects everything. Take Gears. The campaign and Warzone MP aren't even the same game. I could beat the SP campaign on Insane any number of times and the mechanics are different enough that I will still get my ass handed to me more often than not by high-level players in Warzone. I've racked up less than 500 kills in Gears 1 SP and some of those guys reached 10,000 years ago. They noticed that in Gears 2 the Gnasher shot at a different rate of speed. Most Gears players won't notice that, but much like a fighting game that depends on knowing the frame counts of your opponent, change that aspect of the game even a little and there's a lot of adjustments to be made.

And I'll wait for whenever you want to explain how Uncharted plays like Metal Slug. That's really letting your guard down for that behind-the-ear hook, Can Crusher.

And I'll wait for whenever you want to explain how Uncharted plays like Metal Slug. That's really letting your guard down for that behind-the-ear hook, Can Crusher.

You go in one direction(linear A -> B), kill hundreds of guys, go through scripted sequences where helicopters try to kill you, use cover when it suits you, kill bosses on moving trains, use a multiple array of weapons, you have no choice that has moral consequences , you have straightforward platforming, multiple settings, enemies drop ammo and guns that you pick up on the fly, you use turrets or equivalent in certain moments, you are able to kill people with melee combat, and then you kill the final boss ...

What changed? It's in 3D and you can move in a 360º degree field, oh and you have simple puzzles to solve that have been around since forever in game design, and production values up the wazzoo with animations and character models that allow for much better immersion and life like visuals.

It's not like you are allowed to be Nathan Drake, speak for him, decide for him and change the outcome of the story or the way the game progresses.

Give Nick the money he deserves Dana.

Vio-Lence

Banned
If I was Nick Diaz I would hold out for a higher ppv split.

----
In regards to videogame talk, the worst thing to happen in the last decade of gaming is "AAA" + cinematic experiences. Shit is fucking embarrassing.

If I was Nick Diaz I would hold out for a higher ppv split.

----
In regards to videogame talk, the worst thing to happen in the last decade of gaming is "AAA" + cinematic experiences. Shit is fucking embarrassing.

I hope Nick Diaz gets a better camp, Gracie is shit. If after this Nick Diaz still isn't getting a proper camp and getting paid what he deserves then just fucking move somewhere else.

The trailer is absolutely retarded.

MjFrancis

You go in one direction(linear A -> B), kill hundreds of guys, go through scripted sequences where helicopters try to kill you, use cover when it suits you, kill bosses on moving trains, use a multiple array of weapons, you have no choice that has moral consequences , you have straightforward platforming, multiple settings, enemies drop ammo and guns that you pick up on the fly, you use turrets or equivalent in certain moments, you are able to kill people with melee combat, and then you kill the final boss ...
You've used enough vague descriptions to equate a 2D side-scrolling run and gun with a 3D action-adventure third-person shooter. That must be why I read so many comparisons between the two series when Uncharted 3 came out!

Really, there's no serious response that can be given to that comparison. This is a video game forum, where video game enthusiasts gather an argue and share their thoughts. Your descriptions are vague enough that they don't produce meaningful conversation. It's like a car enthusiast who is describing the difference between a 350z and a 370z and someone else noting both cars have four wheels and can be driven rather fast. So what's the difference!?! For instance, while you may describe either game as containing "platforming" elements, their effective implementation is different enough as to merit separate words in the dictionary to describe what happens in 2D platforming and what happens in Uncharted's brand of platforming. Actually, that's just why we describe one as 2D platforming and the other as 3D platforming, or as Uncharted can devolve into, QTE's.

So aside from that spat where it appears you don't understand the differences between two entirely different genres, I understand what you are saying. That's not to say it's correct, but I understand. Barring an entirely new genre, these games all play the same to you, from Uncharted to Metal Slug. That's not very discriminating taste, but to each their own. Even if you are just looking for an entirely new subgenre, well, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
This looks like five different games mashed into one and it manages to be brilliant. Take my money Kojima, take all of it.

PS: There's no way the game will look like that on current gen consoles.

It looks on par with something like GOW: Ascension. Depends on how big the "open world" is.

Vio-Lence

Banned
GSP vs Diaz II for the NYE card. book it now, 1.5m buys.

Diaz can fail with upward mobility ala Chael Sonnen. maybe after losing to GSP a second time, he can challenge Anderson Silver at #185 for the title. Mickey Soares would make that fight.

SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT :)

Vio-Lence

Banned
Nick isn't a draw, friends.

When has milquetoast GSP broke 1 million ppv buys? GSP's ceiling w/out a good Heel like Diaz is 800k buys. 1.1 million is Brock Lesnar territory.

Diaz generates Sonnen level heat. Sonnen carried that bum Silver to 925k ppv buys.

so I have to ask Chamber, who ya crappin?

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Sonnen isn't a draw either unless he's paired with C. Silva. Where was Chael's drawing power when 136 did 250k on PPV? Where was Nick's drawing power when he did 280k with BJ?

BTW, Kevin Iole isn't a reliable source.

It's like a car enthusiast who is describing the difference between a 350z and a 370z and someone else noting both cars have four wheels and can be driven rather fast. So what's the difference!?!

I'm not here to convert you buddy, you can think what you want. But it's funny that you are in essence giving me reason. Those who look at BF4 and think "This shit ain't next gen gameplay", it's exactly like looking at a car sucessor that drives better, goes faster, sounds louder, looks better and saying "This shit ain't next generation driving". Get it? I don't have a problem with the advancements, I have a problem with the idea some have of "next gen gaming".

When has milquetoast GSP broke 1 million ppv buys? GSP's ceiling w/out a good Heel like Diaz is 800k buys. 1.1 million is Brock Lesnar territory.

Diaz generates Sonnen level heat. Sonnen carried that bum Silver to 925k ppv buys.

so I have to ask Chamber, who ya crappin?

He's crapping everybody, even himself. He's in too deep

MjFrancis

I'm not here to convert you buddy, you can think what you want. But it's funny that you are in essence giving me reason. Those who look at BF4 and think "This shit ain't next gen gameplay", it's exactly like looking at a car sucessor that drives better, goes faster, sounds louder, looks better and saying "This shit ain't next generation driving". Get it? I don't have a problem with the advancements, I have a problem with the idea some have of "next gen gaming".
You're making sense now brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom