• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
I only got spoiled one death but fuck you guys.

Holy shit it's a DINOSAUR, David Rickles

0032_h9qy.gif

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
What's wrong with spoiling a book that is thirteen years old? I had a big part of book 3 spoiled for me before I read it. It is bound to happen.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
How about I want to experience the whole story fresh with the TV series and am holding out on reading the books for that reason.

You'd be waaaaaaaaaaaaay better served by experiencing the story fresh with the books than with the TV series. The TV writers can't hold a candle to what's on the pages; at best they recreate what was there, and at worst they butcher it hilariously and create all sorts of problems with the characters and narrative.

Plus reading the books insulates you from spoiler issues, which are gonna be inevitable since it only takes one asshole to ruin things for you. You'll be vulnerable to that one asshole for the next 7+ years. Considering how mainstream GoT/ASOIAF is now, you know that a Dumbledore situation is going to go down.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
For the amount of stuff that does happen it's pretty surprising that people haven't been spoiled multiple times already.

And yeah, I'd stick with the TV show if you think it's really well made, written etc. If you do read the books it will slant you a fair bit.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
How about I want to experience the whole story fresh with the TV series and am holding out on reading the books for that reason.

I got into the series through the show but after Season 1 I knew I was going to get spoiled eventually (probably by my own self reading wikis and stupid shit like that) so I moved straight onto the books. I wasn't a fan of some of the changes made in the show in Season 2 (plus the overall quality seemed to dip a bit) but rumours are that it'll pay off.

I guess my point is that the show is a different enough beast from the books that I don't feel one sullies the experience of the other: the changes keep the show somewhat surprising even when knowing what happens in advance, plus you get excited about seeing your favourite parts on screen and can look out for hints regarding some of the background details that can be picked up in the books but aren't dealt with directly in the show.

When I read they were going to make GoT as a show I ordered the first book to see if I would like it. Got hooked about a hundred pages in and read all the others in about a month's time. They blow away the TV show in no uncertain terms. Only problem is when you reach the end of the last book and you realize you'll have to wait years upon years for GRRM to finish the next one. There's no doubt that the TV show will catch up to books before they are finished. Apparently HBO is preparing for this by possibly making prequel seasons if/when it gets to that point.

Vio-Lence

Banned
GoT should have Neil Marshall direct every big budget episode. He killed it on the battle of the blackwater episode. Dude has proven that he can direct action movies on the cheap. Another reason why that episode was so good was because of its singular focus. It didn't jump around every 5 minutes to see what Dany wasn't doing, etc.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
By pure luck a friend managed to score some tickets for the Sony Ericsson Open. I casually follow tennis and play it from time to time, it's fun (and exhausting) as hell. It will be the first professional match I ever attend. According to the schedule, it's Andy Murray vs Richard Gasquet.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Are the books like LOTR?

Because if they are then fuck em, I'm never gonna read them. That kind of reading feels like work.

No. They do have long paragraphs describing food if you're into that.

GoT should have Neil Marshall direct every big budget episode. He killed it on the battle of the blackwater episode. Dude has proven that he can direct action movies on the cheap. Another reason why that episode was so good was because of its singular focus. It didn't jump around every 5 minutes to see what Dany wasn't doing, etc.

In Season 1 I thought the show looked incredibly cheap. The sword fighting looked amateurish and was not a huge fan of Tyrion being unconscious for that battle so they didn't have to show anything.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
You'd be waaaaaaaaaaaaay better served by experiencing the story fresh with the books than with the TV series. The TV writers can't hold a candle to what's on the pages; at best they recreate what was there, and at worst they butcher it hilariously and create all sorts of problems with the characters and narrative.

Plus reading the books insulates you from spoiler issues, which are gonna be inevitable since it only takes one asshole to ruin things for you. You'll be vulnerable to that one asshole for the next 7+ years. Considering how mainstream GoT/ASOIAF is now, you know that a Dumbledore situation is going to go down.
Yep, this why I decided to read the books after season 2. 1)I wanted to know what happened next 2)Be exposed to the pure version of the plot since the tv show cuts out a lot of stuff and 3)I had two huge character deaths spoiled, I could't run the risk of some jerkoff spoiling more stuff throughout YEARS of waiting.

When I read they were going to make GoT as a show I ordered the first book to see if I would like it. Got hooked about a hundred pages in and read all the others in about a month's time. They blow away the TV show in no uncertain terms. Only problem is when you reach the end of the last book and you realize you'll have to wait years upon years for GRRM to finish the next one. There's no doubt that the TV show will catch up to books before they are finished. Apparently HBO is preparing for this by possibly making prequel seasons if/when it gets to that point.
A prequel season (or two) during Robert's Rebellion would we orgasmic. GRRM has told the showrunners his general idea of how he'll end it all in case he croaks before the last book, so the tv show can provide closure if they decide against prequel seasons/he croaks.

Are the books like LOTR?

Because if they are then fuck em, I'm never gonna read them. That kind of reading feels like work.
Only Sansa chapters, some Catelyn chapters, and half of the 4th book feels like work. GRRM does a great job of making the books addicting.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Only Sansa chapters, some Catelyn chapters, and half of the 4th book feels like work. GRRM does a great job of making the books addicting.

boneski, everything outside of the North in book 5 is abysmal. but the Jon, Reek rhymes with Meek, Davos are great. basically if it's not taking place in the north, its awful in that book.

TheChits

Damn that was a VERY illegal knee on SFL. Dude went out
These guys know how to kill time. In between fights they had this shit going down
sflwtf00.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom