• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you're really in need of scratching that zombie itch, this is much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5xUT7iYCmw

Even better:

ibofoAY9g5ZByJ.gif

MjFrancis

People still watch the walking dead?
I watched two episodes and had my fill. I've had people suggest it to me since or even saying I should watch it because Season 3 was better. So... you want me to spend thirteen hours of my precious time watching Season 2 because it gets "better"?

These people have no sense of the economy of time. Mine is valuable, and I certainly wouldn't recommend people play a game that gets better after a dozen hours of crap*, or watch six horrible movies in a series to get to the one that might be okay. But for some reason people seem perfectly content to watch subpar television as they are stringed along week after week in hopes that it will get better or deliver on promises made early on. The television serial in general is in bad taste, and I've rarely watched one that was even executed competently let alone well (Battlestar Galactica & Lost being two of the decent shows I've watched that fell victim to sophmoric writing).

* I've noted that people frequently recommend JRPG's that 'get better' after 10 or 20 hours.

Vio-Lence

Banned
what about television series like The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, etc that maintain high quality for their runs? the long-form narrative of television series has its advantages over movies for some things.

but i agree with you when it comes to dropping shows, that's why I bailed out on breaking bad, the killing, boardwalk empire, and other things recently. if i'm not digging something week to week, it's out of the rotation for the most part.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have a tough time dropping shows I've already invested time in. Unless it totally craters to something like Nip/Tuck quality, I tend to stick with it.

MjFrancis

what about television series like The Wire, The Shield, Deadwood, etc that maintain high quality for their runs? the long-form narrative of television series has its advantages over movies for some things.

but i agree with you when it comes to dropping shows, that's why I bailed out on breaking bad, the killing, boardwalk empire, and other things recently. if i'm not digging something week to week, it's out of the rotation for the most part.
The problem with commercial television comes down to inevitable filler and other fat that can be trimmed 99.9% of the time. Even the best of shows have moments that drag. The writing gets worse, or the show goes on longer than it needs to. Take any show you love and I almost guarantee you could trim it down to something vastly more entertaining that was only lengthened because of the commercial nature of the medium. There are television spots or subscriptions to sell after all.

Dexter is a rare example of a show that would be legendary had it been a single season long. I would not have cut much if anything from it. After that it devolved into inevitable self-parody (though never quite as bad as the books) and fans of the original concept lap up the scraps that are given out every season thereafter.

The Sopranos was a pretty damn good series, but I'll be damned if you probably couldn't figure out a way to talk about these characters in one or two seasons and still have a great, impactful program that doesn't end up being "who's the new actor this season who's going to die before the end of the season"? It had highs and it had lows. Why does there have to be lows? Well, the creator had a successful show where he could mess around with all sorts of different concepts without any significant time restraints. Characters who are ultimately insignificant (or worse yet, boring) in the scheme of the Soprano family get lots of screen time. If one made this show a miniseries one would then have to think long and hard about what to include in this crime drama and why.

I mention Lost and Battlestar because those were two shows where concepts were birthed that were never tied up in the end, or worse yet, tied up in the most embarassing ways with deus ex machina plots points.

The short of it is that putting out your best product in as compact a format as possible forces you to make every moment count - or at least it should.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Its always tragic when a good show takes that turn from being good to just somewhat well written and fluffed just enough so it can be a steady cash cow.

Vio-Lence

Banned
i may be unique in that i don't have a single use for the WWE, but i prefer my MMA with maximum sports entertainment. haven't watched wrasslin in a legit decade.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
lol cumbr

I'll watch for shits and giggles. Are they really going to exhume old man taker for another one?

yes they are and there's a good chance it'll be a mess. the more he keeps coming back the higher the chance is for a major fuckup. he has this monster potbelly now.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
i may be unique in that i don't have a single use for the WWE, but i prefer my MMA with maximum sports entertainment. haven't watched wrasslin in a legit decade.

I think we've been getting a good continuous fix of scraps with Bellator lately.

Heel

I wouldn't miss Brock vs. Triple H under Vale Tudo rules for the world. Are they going to put a net under the bottom rope?

Heel

Friends, do they have April Fools' Day in Mother Russia?

Evgeni Kogan @evginikogan - We are going to be the first promotion to put on event in ‏People's Republic of North Korea! M-1 HWGP Final, Pyongyang, September 14, 2013!!!

I want to believe.

It's not even 5 and I am going to get more Beer. In other news I am almost done with my rough draft of my portfolio. Might have a chick come over and get on that couch.

Wandy/Mousasi would be amazing if Wandy is actually in shape for it.

Mousasi would actually have a chance in that fight since Wand isn't huge for 205.

Although Wand would be smarter not to do this. Look at what happened to Tito in his quick turnaround fight after the Bader win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom