• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heel

Where are you getting those images?

Chopper_city.jpg

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Where DAT UFC on Fox thread?
Working on it. It's a 2 post OP (first post is UFC, second is Glory, there is a subtle reason for this (; ). It will be up when the sun is up in the U.S. Remember, I'm not a daywalker anymore.

Also, the late 90/early 2000 Cash Money covers are making me rofl. Taking me back to 9th grade y'all.

bone_and_sinew

Not sure if old but since I'm presently working on the thread, I found something interesting while googling:

"As expected AXS TV will air next month's Championship Fighting Alliance 11 event, which includes Fallon Fox's next fight and a heavyweight headliner between Mike Kyle (19-9-1) and Valentijn Overeem (32-30)."

The televised main card for CFA 11 includes:

Mike Kyle vs. Valentin Overeem
Fallon Fox vs. Allanna Jones - featherweight-tournament semifinal
Luis Palomino vs. Robert Washington
Elvin Brito vs. Sean Soriano
Czar Sklavos vs. Alexis Vila
Oscar Delgado vs. Mike King

http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/...11-fight-valentin-overeem-mike-kyle-headlines
http://www.mmaweekly.com/cfa-11-air...ereem-vs-mike-kyle-fallon-fox-vs-allana-jones

This is Bad MMA distilled by Walter White. "Women" fights, Lessereem, Mike Kyle, Baboon Palomino, Alexis "I killed Joe Warren before Pat Curran did" Vila, a dude named Czar. It's on May 24. I'm thinking of going since it's here in Miami, only $25 for general admission. I need a partner in crime to go with me though.

ShaneB

UFC on Fox/Glory thread is up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542475

edit: Aww man, no Bellator until the summer and "season 9" doesn't start until September. I wish Bellator would do away with these "seasons".

Really?? .... Really?! Half the posts here are about complaining about how many events the UFC put on.

Bellator obviously doesn't have brand name draw that the UFC does, but they do lots of things right. That includes seasons/tournaments.

bone_and_sinew

Really?? .... Really?! Half the posts here are about complaining about how many events the UFC put on.

Bellator obviously doesn't have brand name draw that the UFC does, but they do lots of things right. That includes seasons/tournaments.
And half your posts here are complaining about everything.
The problem with Bellator's seasons is it puts their champs on the shelf far longer than they should be and creates backlogs of contenders. Featherweight and Lightweight (their 2 deepest divisions) have two tournament winners waiting for their shots yet the champs aint fighting until September the earliest since the summer series are mini-tourneys. There doesn't have to be more events, just better spread out.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The problem with Bellator's seasons is it puts their champs on the shelf far longer than they should be and [...]

The problem with Bellator is that they have champions period.

If you want to make the tournament model work, do away with any notion of belts. Present the winner of the tournament with a trophy and a cheque and allow them to be seeded into the second stage of the next tournament. This way you can avoid the bullshit of champions retiring because they only have one meaningful fight every two years and the knock-on effect of champions/challengers getting injured and setting back the "proper" final of the tournament.

But alas, the casual MMA/combat sports fan has been conditioned to gaze upon belts and their holders as the be-all-end-all of the sport. So what we'll get instead is 4-man tournaments, and later "2-man tournaments" or just the potential of Bellator scrapping all their divisions above welterweight in order to give their actual talent/names meaningful fights.

Yeah this fucking blows. I was just starting to get into it too. This season stuff they do sucks.

3 or 4 times. That's 1 fight for every quarter. Thats ideal

Ideal being key. But the way everyone is getting injured in training camps, I don't think we'll ever see that with any regularity. I think we'll only see that kind of activity if we get super young champions and only until they realize just how much power they wield as champs to dictate how often they fight.

SteveWD40

When you make GSP money from sponsorships that you ONLY get due to that belt, you best believe they will duck and dodge any chance to lose it, anyone can get Serra'd on a bad night.

I don't like it, but I get it.

DKehoe

Posted on the Wrestling Observer board by a guy that does stuff for the UFC in their german market and also knows a bunch of guys in MMA (so when he posts stuff it's not bullshit):

JJ hasn't been taking the fight seriously at all. The one thing Greg Jackson requested he train to avoid (arm triangle), he laughed off. He took half a week off midway during camp to go away with his girlfriend. He has no respect at all for Chael's wrestling. He believes Chael will fall into the same trap that every other of his opponents has fallen into.

fuckin Eurosport showing GLORY Instabul now. how about showing these things live?

edit: it's GLORY London, actually. still, the point stands.

Posted on the Wrestling Observer board by a guy that does stuff for the UFC in their german market and also knows a bunch of guys in MMA (so when he posts stuff it's not bullshit):

no one believes me when i say Chael is the next champion. just wait and see.

We all know this fight is a huge mismatch, but damn. I hope Chael can pull it off.

Not that I want to see this, but does anybody think the only person with balls to pressure Jones and go nuts swinging is Wand? Wand is fucking nuts insane.

I have no doubt that Jones drinks his own kool aid at this point but I still have a hard time believing that Chael can get the upset. Do we know how seriously Chael is training for this fight either? For all intents and purposes, it seems like he's pretty much geared up for a career in broadcasting.

Chaels biggest problem is that he has shitty finishing abilities. No KO power and no fancy sub skillz. If he had those than he would be a wrecking machine.

DKehoe

Do we know how seriously Chael is training for this fight either? For all intents and purposes, it seems like he's pretty much geared up for a career in broadcasting.

Chael desperately wants to be a world champion. He has to know there is a good chance this could be his last shot at a title. I really doubt he isn't going to make the most of an opportunity he was extremely lucky to get.

Seems almost certain Jones will crush him but would be amazing if Chael somehow pulled it off.

Jones really needs to embrace his inner heel. He isn't GSP.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Mousasi tweeted yesterday asking what everybody thought about him potentially dropping down to 185. It would be nice to see him in the middleweight division (where people are actually his size), but his cardio would be shit. He would probably get wrestled/grappled to death by some of the top 10 fighters in that division too.

Chael desperately wants to be a world champion. He has to know there is a good chance this could be his last shot at a title. I really doubt he isn't going to make the most of an opportunity he was extremely lucky to get.

Seems almost certain Jones will crush him but would be amazing if Chael somehow pulled it off.

Jones really needs to embrace his inner heel. He isn't GSP.

I don't get that vibe at all. Especially hearing Chael talk about his opponents marketability rather openly. People who desperately want to be a champion don't tend to care who they face to get there. Chael is more focused on making money. Champs do tend to make more money but he's under no illusion that even if he wins at LHW that he'll be able to actually hold that title long enough for being a champ to be lucrative. Well further than being something he says he's done.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
^^ Honestly, I think Chael's booking talents and business acumen is kind of wasted in the UFC, where it's a Silva/White/Fertitta shop with an unbreakable ceiling. He should be talking to folks like Vince McMahon or Paul Heynman if he wants to be a career planner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom