• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKehoe

I don't get that vibe at all. Especially hearing Chael talk about his opponents marketability rather openly. People who desperately want to be a champion don't tend to care who they face to get there. Chael is more focused on making money. Champs do tend to make more money but he's under no illusion that even if he wins at LHW that he'll be able to actually hold that title long enough for being a champ to be lucrative. Well further than being something he says he's done.

He promised his dying father he would be a world champion He wants it. Hence his quotes about how he would trade everything he has if he could be champion for just one night. Chael has done a great job of making himself a star and making money but he is still a competitor and he really wants to win.

Heel

This card looks interesting.

PNfE5mk.jpg

Badr Hari vs. Zabit Samedov

Mike Zambidis, Dzhabar Askerov, Artur Kyshenko and Yury Bessmertny in a 4-man tournament

Aleks Lenko in an MMA match

Aleks Lenko's opponent just got announced... :)

ibdsXM6AxhjR53.gif

He promised his dying father he would be a world champion He wants it. Hence his quotes about how he would trade everything he has if he could be champion for just one night. Chael has done a great job of making himself a star and making money but he is still a competitor and he really wants to win.

This is literally the very first time I'm hearing anything about this at all. Which is weird because it seems like it would be excellent marketing material.

DKehoe

This is literally the very first time I'm hearing anything about this at all. Which is weird because it seems like it would be excellent marketing material.

I believe he spoke about it in the countdown show for the first Silva fight.

This is from a Sports Illustrated article on him

When Sonnen's father told his then 25-year-old son that he was dying of colon cancer, he did so with all the sensitivity of a father ordering his child to go mow the lawn. Chael had already heard the news by that point and he employed the line he'd been working on in his head for weeks.

"I said something like, 'Hey, you're going to beat this thing,'" Sonnen recalls. "He just kind of looked at me and said, 'Get out of here!'"

Sonnen went outside and sat in the big Ford truck his father had recently bought, then he put his head down on the steering wheel and cried. He was crying so hard that he didn't hear his father's approaching, didn't even notice him standing there until he heard his old man's voice say, "I see you're admiring your new truck."

Just before his father died, Sonnen sat down at his bedside and laid out some future plans. It wasn't so much promises, but more like "letting him know what he was going to be up to." Some of Sonnen's plans were vetoed on the spot, like when he said he planned to marry the girlfriend he was dating at the time. Others were more serious, such as when he vowed to become the UFC champion by beating light heavyweight champ Tito Ortiz.

What sort of thing did you expect?

They way you worded it made it seem more like his father was dying so he pledged to him that he'd win a championship. The article describes it more like he was just talking to his dad about what he was planning to do next. It's splitting hairs a bit but that's why I said I suppose it counts anyways. Maybe Chael just didn't want it to sound so heavy when he described it.

brentech

He talked about it before his bouts against Paulo Filho in the WEC as well. Said he promised his dad he'd be world champion one day.
Then got locked in an arm bar because he wouldn't back away when Filho was laying on his back baiting him (partially because Paulo had about 0 cardio)

The article there definitely makes it sound a lite more laid back, but when he was in WEC I remember his prefight of him telling the story and just saying that he told his dad he'd be champ outright.

TheNatural

My Member!
Ariel Helwani ‏@arielhelwani 7m
"Dana scrum lasted around an hour. TONS covered. Most interesting? He's calling GSP today to see what he wants to do. Hendricks not 100%."

"If Georges wants to fight Anderson Silva, we're not going to tell him `No, you have to fight Johny Hendricks,'" White said.

Heel

Hour long scrum? Can't wait.

Some crazies starting to come out in the Boston bombing thread...can you believe this shit alr1ght? lol unbelievable

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
"Dana scrum lasted around an hour. TONS covered. Most interesting? He's calling GSP today to see what he wants to do. Hendricks not 100%."

"If Georges wants to fight Anderson Silva, we're not going to tell him `No, you have to fight Johny Hendricks,'" White said.

Im sure Georges just cant wait to fight Candy.

Dana still trying to make that fight happen. No budo from Dana, he promised, but he had nothing but wolf tickets to spare.

George Saint Pierre wants none of Silva. I bet he is praying to all the gods that Weidman beats him.

Heel

Dana White’s Meniere Disease “100 percent cured” after stem cell procedure in Germany

“Well, A-Rod from the Yankees, hit me up and told me that when he was hurt Kobe [Bryant] called him and they both went to Germany and did this stem cell stuff. Right. So he says ‘listen bro, I don’t know if this is going to help you, but I’ll tell you what it’s worth a shot.’ Well, long story short, we had the fight out in Sweden. I went to Germany. I got the stem cells. Dude, I am 100 percent cured.

“I am 100 percent a new guy, man. I’m working out again. I’m doing all the things that I used to do. I’m traveling. My life is back,” White said. “All they do is they go in there, they take your blood, they incubate it, they spin it and add stuff to it. I don’t know what the hell they do, I’m no scientist. I’m a million bucks now, man. I couldn’t feel better.”

Blood-spinning, the new horse meat.

Vio-Lence

Banned
uncle fester, aka bald bozo fuck, was already using steroids. might as well start doing RTR or whatever they're calling the new blood transfusions or w/e. guy is a complete joke.

wishes he was as cool as Vinny Mac.

Vince-McMahon-WWE-Superstar-5.jpg

Vio-Lence

Banned
Wait, who was Vio-Friend saying was ugly? Because Elena Delle Donne is certainly not.

actually i was referring to the number 1 pick. The number 2 and 3 picks were dressed in feminine attire. The number 1 pick was dressed in an ugly suit that would look at home in the NBA draft.

When I saw that Nate Diaz was changing weight classes I just assumed it meant down .. not up. I'd love to see a fight between him and Maia 2.0.

uncle fester, aka bald bozo fuck, was already using steroids. might as well start doing RTR or whatever they're calling the new blood transfusions or w/e. guy is a complete joke.

wishes he was as cool as Vinny Mac.

Vince-McMahon-WWE-Superstar-5.jpg

Say what you want about Dana, but hes way better than Vince can ever be. Vince has completely destroyed his product. Its such garbage that its unwatchable watered down crap. Plays it too safe. Its telling when I would rather watch 100 Jon Fitch fights than watch Wrestlemania. At least Dana is in touch with his product and is a fan of the fights. Vince don't care what the fans want, hence the John Cena show.

Say what you want about Dana, but hes way better than Vince can ever be. Vince has completely destroyed his product. Its such garbage that its unwatchable watered down crap. Plays it too safe. Its telling when I would rather watch 100 Jon Fitch fights than watch Wrestlemania. At least Dana is in touch with his product and is a fan of the fights. Vince don't care what the fans want, hence the John Cena show.
Wrestling is just a commercial for Vince's real product, WWE merchandise.

Terrible article. Somebody email that dipshit the meaning of sports entertainment.

So the great hype grows. Jones, who in a span of 13 months beat four former light heavyweight champions, all of them real contenders, and did so in a way that secured a place for him as one of the two or three transcendent fighters in his sport, is positioned as the uppity negro.

It's like Cumbr wrote it. Yelling cism for cism sakes. I mean this asshole thinks Brazil is a race.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Incredibly LTTP here, but I've just finished watching Dredd. Fucking great movie.

I'm sure that Can Crusher hates it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Terrible article. Somebody email that dipshit the meaning of sports entertainment.

It's like Cumbr wrote it. Yelling cism for cism sakes. I mean this asshole thinks Brazil is a race.

And given the nature of the fighters—the challenger nestled inside his inverted commas, the champion faced with a public as resentful of him as it tends to be of any athlete who's young, gifted, black, and not very good at pretending not to be immensely pleased with himself—there is only one possible form that selling point can take, and of course it's already taken it. Sonnen has called Jones "boy," and talked him down as an "entitled bratty kid" (the cognate you're looking for is "uppity"). The hype machine hasn't really even been turned on yet, and Sonnen has already nearly exhausted the euphemisms for that one word he'll hint at, tease, and never quite say. It's been depressing to watch.

iRMJFo9Ak43Ct.gif

I thought it was pretty cool actually, even though I like The Raid more which has a similar concept. Too bad there won't be a Dredd sequel.

Why not? I loved Dredd. Very fun action movie .. reminded me of something out of the 80s which I guess makes sense since it was a resurrected script for Robocop movie.

Deadspin article is actually good though not helpful to MMA's image at all. It accurately breaks down Sonnen's rhetoric. Everyone knows he just says it for reaction but I don't think that many people credit just how much he's formulated these statements for specific effect.

DKehoe

He talked about it before his bouts against Paulo Filho in the WEC as well. Said he promised his dad he'd be world champion one day.
Then got locked in an arm bar because he wouldn't back away when Filho was laying on his back baiting him (partially because Paulo had about 0 cardio)

The article there definitely makes it sound a lite more laid back, but when he was in WEC I remember his prefight of him telling the story and just saying that he told his dad he'd be champ outright.

They way you worded it made it seem more like his father was dying so he pledged to him that he'd win a championship. The article describes it more like he was just talking to his dad about what he was planning to do next. It's splitting hairs a bit but that's why I said I suppose it counts anyways. Maybe Chael just didn't want it to sound so heavy when he described it.

Here is the clip of him talking about it on the countdown show for the first Silva fight.

Since he describes it as "the only promise I made to him that I didn't keep" I think it means a lot to him to win the title. He isn't going to be just phoning it in for the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom