• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Young FodaZombie is too young too appreciate Nirvana I think. Just like the Star Wars original trilogy.

There is no such thing as too young or too old to appreciate something. If it's good it'll stand on its own, regardless of context.

Oh and most of the music I enjoy was made before I was born.

Young FodaZombie is too young too appreciate Nirvana I think. Just like the Star Wars original trilogy.

i'm about your age and i think Nirvana were fuckin awful. only decent thing grunge scene did was when it ended.

ok, Chris Cornell was a pretty damn good singer. there's that.

Dirt
Jar of Flies
Superunknown
In Utero
Siamese Dream
Vitalogy
Weezer (Self Titled)
Pinkerton
Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

All amazing albums from that period that I guess would loosely be put into the "grunge" classification.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Dirt
Jar of Flies
Superunknown
In Utero
Vitalogy
Weezer (Self Titled)
Pinkerton

All amazing albums from that period that I guess would loosely be put into the "grunge" classification.

Dirt is pretty much my favorite album of all time. All of those are great records.

Grunge gave the world Pearl Jam and Soundgarden. It also led to the Foo Fighters. You guys sucks...

except Poly since he knows what's up.

Foo Fighters is the New Order to Nirvana's Joy Division.

and yeah alr1ght for those that want to go deeper Temple Of The Dog and Mad Season are worthy

I've never heard anyone call Weezer grunge.

Temple of the Dog, man.

It's not grunge but you could say that if it wasn't for Grunge bands like Weezer and even Green Day wouldn't have been as popular. Once the Grunge movement died (which is what happened when Kurt killed himself) the populous that was left afterwards was looking for something to fill the void.

Grunge is really important too. Hair bands were killed by Nirvana and replaced by people that cared more about the music than the image. Which is also something that the Grunge era really accomplished. None of the bands sounded the same. Which I don't think any other movement in Music can say. Maybe the 70's era but that decade was full of amazing music but it's hard because there wasn't really a movement behind them except Punk.

Too bad we've fallen back into fucking Radio rock BS. I blame Green Day and their brand of Pop Punk.

*Turns up Black Flag*

EDIT: Poly, Are you a Joy Division fan?

Yeah pretty much the whole Grunge thing was the equivalent of Punk in the 70s. Punk was a reaction to overindulgent prog rock and disco and Grunge was a reaction to the hair bands. That's why I find it kind of funny to see Mak compare Grunge to Disco when they were opposite sides of the coin.

And yes I'd call myself a Joy Division fan. Some of their stuff is a bit too rough around the edges for me but "She's Lost Control" and "Dead Souls" are my jams.

Heel

Shane Carwin @ShaneCarwin - Officially retired 2day:) thank you to my family, friends and fans! #dreambig GOD BLESS!!!

Also, Uncle Dana says they're working on new gloves that curve the fingers to combat eye poking.

Hair bands were killed by Nirvana and replaced by people that cared more about the music than the image.

nirvana.jpg
soundgarden-8.jpg
pearl_jam_biography.jpg

grunge was shit. there's no other way around it. flanel shirts, dirty jeans, mid-20 losers singing about "issues". holy shit, why did this boring ass stuff ever reached the airwaves is beyond me.

even the fuckin masses knew it was shit, which is why they were dumped for the equally vomit-inducing nu-metal in 2 or 3 years after it popped up.

Grunge music was awesome. All the extra trappings weren't. But honestly what style of music didn't have stupid looking hairstyles and clothing?

grunge was shit. there's no other way around it. flanel shirts, dirty jeans, mid-20 losers singing about "issues". holy shit, why did this boring ass stuff ever reached the airwaves is beyond me.

even the fuckin masses knew it was shit, which is why they were dumped for the equally vomit-inducing nu-metal in 2 or 3 years after it popped up.

Nu-metal didn't come about until the late 90's. Also, nu-metal was picked up by high school kids. Most of the people that were into grunge hated that shit. They were coming out of college by the time it started.

Oh and Pearl Jam still sells millions of records and sells out stadiums. People didn't forget about it. People didn't dump Grunge. It ended because the groups broke up or had key members die.

I suspect the problem (for you and Astro) is that Grunge was very American and Gen-X centric. It was a bunch of young guys trying their hardest to be themselves and not the Yuppies that the generation of the early 80's turned into. Like I said they were all different bands with very different structures. The 'issues' they were talking about were, and are, still very relevant to the late teens-late 20's American listeners. This is why people still listen to them today.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Don't Pearl Jam put in a lot of effort into their shows and always mix up the set list? I'm a huge fan of bands that change it up and play long shows.

Don't Pearl Jam put in a lot of effort into their shows and always mix up the set list? I'm a huge fan of bands that change it up and play long shows.

Yeah I went to a show a few years ago and it was three hours long. The next night my friend went to their show and it was completely different including the guitar solos.

and here you are focusing on the image.

every one of those albums I posted is considered a classic.

4 things:

1 - i never even mentioned "image" before that post

2 - it was actually jerry who brought that up

3 - it was Maklershed, not me, who did the disco comparison

4 - Grunge was the biggest fuckin downgrade ever between fads

how the fuck do we go from awesome headbanging tunes like this neck snapping shit here or this fuckin tune into... this

Oh and Pearl Jam still sells millions of records and sells out stadiums. People didn't forget about it. People didn't dump Grunge. It ended because the groups broke up or had key members die.

Earth, Wind & Fire also sell out stadiums nowadays. means shit. it's banking on nostalgia.

Not sure how I feel about LP liking bands full of dudes that wore more fashion make-up than my sister did in the 80's. LP you do understand that Glam is considered the nu-metal of the 80's right?

Vio-Lence

Banned
Dirt
Jar of Flies
Superunknown
In Utero
Siamese Dream
Vitalogy
Weezer (Self Titled)
Pinkerton

Big metal head and I enjoyed most of those albums in my formative years middle school and high school. Only grunge band I still listen to on the regular is Alice in chains. Layne plus Jerry were great.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Big metal head and I enjoyed most of those albums in my formative years middle school and high school. Only grunge band I still listen to on the regular is Alice in chains. Layne plus Jerry were great.

Hence your username, I hope.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Not sure how I feel about LP liking bands full of dudes that wore more fashion make-up than my sister did in the 80's. LP you do understand that Glam is considered the nu-metal of the 80's right?
Even though I like grunge I won't stand for you disparaging glam.

Shout at the devil
Appetite for destruction
WASP

Plenty of classics among the trash.

also, jerry, explain exactly what does Glam and Nu have in common besides popularity.

i'm rather curious to see what you pull out of your ass this time.

They're both looked at with disdain because they were both producer pushed and mechanically driven by the industry. They are both there to fill the voids left by the cultural movements that had an actually impact on the music scene (Punk, Brit Pop, and Grunge). Nothing about them is similar when it comes to music. Which isn't the point I am making. One thing I find funny is that you say people ditched Grunge but bring up Glam. A style of rock that was buried by Grunge.

Even though I like grunge I won't stand for you disparaging glam.

Shout at the devil
Appetite for destruction
WASP

Plenty of classics among the trash.

Van Halen is not glam.

yeah, let's make men out of poly and jerry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmOzjT6HChE

They're both looked at with disdain because they were both producer pushed and mechanically driven by the industry. They are both there to fill the voids left by the cultural movements that had an actually impact on the music scene (Punk, Brit Pop, and Grunge). Nothing about them is similar when it comes to music. Which isn't the point I am making. One thing I find funny is that you say people ditched Grunge but bring up Glam. A style of rock that was buried by Grunge.

and Nu Metal buried Grunge. so technically, as you put it, the "pushed and produced mechanically" (because all the mainstream stuff ISN'T like that, right jerry) won the war.

dude, Glam evolved, naturally, from the hard rock stuff from the late '70s, like Aerosmith and Kiss. these bands were extremely popular so their sucessors, louder, heavier and with crazier hair took over and carried the torch.

don't tell me you were fooled by the "fuck the labels, fuck MTV (but please, fund our records and show our videos ad-nauseam)" bullshit that came from the Grundge heads. they belonged to machine from day one, without it, they would be nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom