• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Jacob Volkmann, who was recently cut after going 6-2, said he’s very bitter about his release. Volkmann was always getting into trouble on his interviews and that probably played a part on his getting cut when the option was available, considering he wasn’t any kind of a star. Volkmann said, “They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top 5% of the fighters well, the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury. The catastrophic injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund. There’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six ($6,000 guaranteed and a $6,000 win bonus). You’re really not making too much money because you’re self- employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not.”
I imagine a typical jobber rolls in the UFC and goes 1-2. So that's $24,000/year BEFORE taxes and BEFORE any sort of medical deductions. Sure, it's three days of work, but if they have any sort of self-respect they're treating their training as a full-time job.

I really hope these guys don't depend on this income because they could make more per year doing janitorial work or landscaping than fighting on the prelims. I hear it's safer, too.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Jacob Volkmann, who was recently cut after going 6-2, said he’s very bitter about his release. Volkmann was always getting into trouble on his interviews and that probably played a part on his getting cut when the option was available, considering he wasn’t any kind of a star. Volkmann said, “They always claim that they treat the fighters so well. Yeah, they treat the top 5% of the fighters well, the ones that are on the main card all the time. They don’t treat the rest of them very well. The healthcare plan is horrible, with a $1,500 deductible per injury. The catastrophic injury insurance is not even really good insurance. There’s no retirement fund. There’s no signing bonus. You start off at six-and-six ($6,000 guaranteed and a $6,000 win bonus). You’re really not making too much money because you’re self- employed, so you’re paying the self-employment tax and you’re paying the regular tax and income tax. So you’re paying twice as much in tax. They claim they’re treating the fighters well, but they’re not.”

Coming from him, this is rich!

How you like dat free market, Christmas?

Yeah and if you're an undercarder making 6 and 6 per fight and you don't have any other job, you're not too smart unless you think you'll go up in the ranks really quickly.

I imagine a typical jobber rolls in the UFC and goes 1-2. So that's $24,000/year BEFORE taxes and BEFORE any sort of medical deductions. Sure, it's three days of work, but if they have any sort of self-respect they're treating their training as a full-time job.

I really hope these guys don't depend on this income because they could make more per year doing janitorial work or landscaping than fighting on the prelims. I hear it's safer, too.

I imagine just being in the UFC nets them a ton of sponsors who then give them free stuff + cash. And from what I've heard the sponsors pay monthly, not based on appearances so they do make a regular salary. I can't imagine even a guy like Volkmann making any less than 30k a year when all is said and done, just to train and fight.

He feels they're paid low compared to the guys pulling in 6 digit income for a single fight. That's all. I feel no worse for him than I do for guys who ride the pine in other sports collecting paycheck larger than the average income of an American who then go on strike because they feel they're not being paid well enough. Suck it up and deal or move the hell on.

Heel

M-1 Challenge 39: Ibragim Ibragimov headbutts Dennis Smoldarev after losing by TKO

ibragimov00.gif

TUF: Russia please.

Fifty

What is God's Child, Jon Jones doing in Russia? I hope he's not getting into shady business with the Russian Mafia. This can't end well. Hopefully it's just for the opening of the Nike Store in Moscow or some shit like that. Keep him safe, Malki, keep him safe!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Can someone explain to me how Pat Healy's win becomes a no contest but Overroid's win over Brock is still a W?

Really dude? We got a man who is made out of oatmeal who's the number one middleweight and a man who was on TRT who talked his way into a LHW superfight. Is there any illusion left?

Heel

Can someone explain to me how Pat Healy's win becomes a no contest but Overroid's win over Brock is still a W?

Reem wasn't popped in his post-fight drug test at UFC 141 vs. Brock. That came back clean. It was a random pre-fight drug test after a press conference for UFC 146 vs. JDS.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

Cos the test he failed was months after the fight. EDIT: Beaten like Brock's colon.

Wasn't Reem given a conditional fighter liscence to fight Lesnar and needed to pass numerous random tests after the fight?

I get it if it was an ordinary circumstance but dude wasn't on any ordinary circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom