• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

I liked the card from top to bottom except the last FB prelim. Certainly the bloodiest card in a long time ( I guess since the last Cain/Silva fight..), that was rather disgusting.

I'm 31 today =/ Just feels like 31 wasted years.

I agree Shane. Pretty great card all around. Bummed the next event is in Brazil again. There's something about those Brazil cards that makes me not care all that much.

Who's really pushing a narrative here? Prior to Hunt, the best striker JDS had fought was probably the ghost of Mirko. Rogan only said that Hunt had more experience against elite strikers, and it was and still is true. A short, fat 40 year old with a broken toe gave Junior his toughest stand-up battle in the UFC, that's not a knock on Junior but a testament to Hunt. If you think he was just winging overhand rights you weren't paying attention.

That said, that was probably Junior's most impressive performance in the UFC (to me). Adapting, persevering and going for the finish til the very end (with a kick no less), plus his chin didn't seem that much worse for wear after the Cain fight.

Joe Rogan: "The timing is just different. The ability to capitalize on openings. Junior might be a better athlete but Mark Hunt is on a different level kickboxing."

I'm by no means faulting Hunt. He did a pretty good job especially considering the toe. I'm saying I thought it was funny how Rogan tried to oversell Hunt while Hunt was getting the better of JDS and then it quickly shut down as soon as JDS landed that first big overhand right.

I'm just praying now that JDS can get the strap back from Velasquez.

Unrelated: Bioshock Infinite is awesome.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hunt's had his time in the sun now. Hopefully the UFC allows him to have a decent retirement circuit now. I'd like to see him throw down with Bigfoot and Nelson - and personally I would love for him to fight Dan Henderson. That last one is unlikely to happen due to the bullshit "it's not a meaningfull fight!!1!" demands of casuals. I just want to see two old warriors have a "testimonial" fight of sorts before they retire.

man, looking at that Twitter thread, Sony is like, 2 sentences away from having the hardcore eating from its hand.

It drives me crazy to see one of the complaints about Xbox/MS is that they're 'arrogant'. So people are gonna deny themselves fun gaming experiences because they're randomly assigning personality to inanimate objects / companies?

Hunt's had his time in the sun now. Hopefully the UFC allows him to have a decent retirement circuit now. I'd like to see him throw down with Bigfoot and Nelson - and personally I would love for him to fight Dan Henderson. That last one is unlikely to happen due to the bullshit "it's not a meaningfull fight!!1!" demands of casuals. I just want to see two old warriors have a "testimonial" fight of sorts before they retire.

Those would be some fun fights. And curses to you and your exceptional picking skills, Industrian. You're keeping me from the #1 slot on UFC.com.

It drives me crazy to see one of the complaints about Xbox/MS is that they're 'arrogan't. So people are gonna deny themselves fun gaming experiences because they're randomly assigning personality to inanimate objects / companies?

they're just projecting on the brand what they feel about the people behind the decisions. i've seen worse.

I agree Shane. Pretty great card all around. Bummed the next event is in Brazil again. There's something about those Brazil cards that makes me not care all that much.

it's because it's in Brazil.

industrian

I'm praying to god that Werdum beats Nog. Then we've got a decent title fight set for September and at the same time avoiding the "Frankie Edgarization" of the HW division.

There's a good set of potential fights at HW here:

Barnett vs. Mir
Struve vs. Gonzaga
Bigfoot vs. Hunt
Nelson/Miocic vs. Overeem/Browne

I would not see Dana risking his rubber match meal ticket any time soon, but I would love to see JDS vs. Cormier. If JDS were to beat Cormier it would totally put this rubber match into orbit. But the risk of Cormier winning totally scraps that, because at this point a Cormier win in the HW division does absolutely nothing positive.

In general, Cormier needs to get a fight organised for 205 already. Since Wanderlei's not available, why not give him Chael Sonnen as a LHW warm up?

And curses to you and your exceptional picking skills, Industrian. You're keeping me from the #1 slot on UFC.com.

I aim to please. ;)

I would pride myself on being second overall on Sherdog... but then again only me and alr1ght are still playing that shit.

industrian

Just came back from the store with a ton of meat. If the weather holds up today will be a good day

I'll be going to Costco next weekend to buy another month's worth of meat. Should be good.

We're getting consistent temperatures of over 30c/86f now. Hopefully I get a good couple of weekends in which to travel and do shit.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I'll be going to Costco next weekend to buy another month's worth of meat. Should be good.

We're getting consistent temperatures of over 30c/86f now. Hopefully I get a good couple of weekends in which to travel and do shit.

Im making brisket for the first time today. Here's hoping i dont fuck it up.

ShaneB

If you haven't already friends, please read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". It's turned into my favourite book I've read so far this year.

TheChits

chits, nothing i love most than showing you freakshows and huge mismatches. here's 3 for today:
Ray Sefo vs Min Soo Kim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONuRmVJru20

I felt bad watching this one. MSK had nothing to threaten with

OK I need to plug Shingeki no Kyojin aka Attack on Titan again, 8th episode just dropped and the show is getting really good.

Indeed. My only gripe so far is inconsistent animation, but the actual story is really interesting.

I would also like to second Shane's recommendation of Endless Fantasy from Anamanaguchi. Great album all the way through

If you haven't already friends, please read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time". It's turned into my favourite book I've read so far this year.

Is this the one told by an autistic boy? I think I read that a few years ago. Unless I'm wrong. In which case ignore this drunken rambling.

i'm pretty sure i'm forgetting a few regulars, help me out:

L2tKEr4.png

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
What's a Monday without some champagne.

Also got to try some $2500 Hennessy Richard Hennessy Cognac, as well as the lesser, $1500, kind.

Now I'm eating some strip loin of wild boar with oven roasted potatoes, onions and broccoli and pan jus.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I honestly can't understand spending $4000 in drinks, but whatever floats your boat.

You misunderstand, or rather, I wasn't clear enough. The importer, Moët Hennessy, had a tasting of their portfolio so everything was free, thought that was clear from the pics.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Damn Keen. What does loin of boar tastes like? And how was the cognac? I have a suspicion that $2,500 doesn't taste a whole lot different than $50 cognac but who knows.

Boogie?

The boar was excellent.

The cognac was good, but I'm not well versed enough in cognac to appreciate that appreciably more than something that costs a $100-$200. A friend who's into cognac said it was the best he's had.

Too bad they didn't bring the Krug Clos d'Ambonnay, which also costs around $2,500, that I could've appreciated.

FACE

Banned
You misunderstand, or rather, I wasn't clear enough. The importer, Moët Hennessy, had a tasting of their portfolio so everything was free, thought that was clear from the pics.

I thought you were the swedish Host.

PS: Don't google "Henessy" at work.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Joe Rogan: "The timing is just different. The ability to capitalize on openings. Junior might be a better athlete but Mark Hunt is on a different level kickboxing."

I'm by no means faulting Hunt. He did a pretty good job especially considering the toe. I'm saying I thought it was funny how Rogan tried to oversell Hunt while Hunt was getting the better of JDS and then it quickly shut down as soon as JDS landed that first big overhand right.

I'm just praying now that JDS can get the strap back from Velasquez.

Fair enough, I took those comments to be in relation to Junior's past opponents but you never know with Rogan. Hunt definitely became more timid after that overhand. That thing was a fucking bomb.

As for a rematch with Cain, I mentioned above that I thought Junior looked better than ever against Hunt, but he still predominantly moves forwards and backwards in straight lines like a fencer: it's why Hunt (who initially wasn't afraid to hold his ground and counter) was catching him in the early going and it's why he repeatedly got pinned up against the fence. Hunt wasn't able to capitalise and Junior circled out relatively untouched on most of the instances (if only they were in a ring!) but it was his Achilles Heel against Cain. Personally I think it's too soon for a rubber-match; having one now pretty much guarantees a fourth and letting Cain and Junior get some more fights under their belts would result in a more interesting match-up.

Bros the virgin thread just got fucking real...

getting that depressed over virginity is something else, though I'm sure there are other factors at play for him.

I often wonder if, for people struggling with it, going to visit a hooker or something just to get it over with would do more harm than good.

poly, Chamber, FACE, Heel, chits, Shane, Normal Bird, Ninja, Gr1m, ya'll got new themes. set in stone now.

Keen, i'm undecided between 2. how much do you like song sang in swedish?

This is so gold.

In other news relevant to this thread, I'm real sorry I wasn't around her to here to give brisket advice, but we had a party barge booked at Lake Travis today. As a Texan and a huge brisket afficianado, I feel like i let the team down. Hope it turned out well anyway, Gr1m.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member

In the neighbourhood where my two of my cousins grew up there was a psycho duck that would attack children and teenagers (mostly boys). Apparently it once had a bunch of ducklings that some kids trapped and stuffed in a sack which they repeatedly drove over. It basically dedicated its life to revenge and was a lot more aggressive and dangerous than some would imagine a duck could be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom