• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
To be honest I was considering moving to Hong Kong or Singapore, but I need to consider my girlfriend and her (relative) lack of employable mobility.

Taipei is beginning to get a little stale to me after 3 years, but it's where the good jobs are. Unless my girlfriend could get a job with me in another country then I'm staying here.

No real complaints though. Much better standard of living compared to Scotland.

Besides, it gives me a reason to look for you every Chinese New Year, if only to run away in the other direction.

Tito Ortiz protesting Stephan Bonnar's induction into the UFC Hall of Fame. And for once, I agree with Tito. Sure, Bonnar had the "legendary" fight with Griffin for the TUF Finale but there's not much else in his career in the UFC to deem HoF fame status. His most notable win was James Irvin and a 2006 Keith Jardine. His biggest accomplishment seems to be putting over actual contenders.

If UFC wants to take the Hall of Fame seriously, and not go down the same path as WWE's Hall of Fame, then I don't understand how a can like Bonnar who wasn't even a champion get's a way in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If UFC wants to take the Hall of Fame seriously, and not go down the same path as WWE's Hall of Fame, then I don't understand how a can like Bonnar who wasn't even a champion get's a way in.

Who would be the first "celebrity" induction to the UFC HoF?

Yeah I basically see it in the same light as I do the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducting Public Enemy.

Actually, no thats not true. i think I can see more of a case for Public Enemy. At least they probably deserve to be inducted into some kind of hall of fame. I dont think Bonnar deserves it at all. I mean not to be too down on the guy but he was mediocre at best. And I dont know that the TUF Finale fight deserves as much credit as it gets .. who am I to say though, I wasnst really into mma back then.

Who would be the first "celebrity" induction to the UFC HoF?

Mike Tyson, MC Hammer, Kevin James, or Mandy Moore.

Yes or not, will Brock Lesnar ever get in and does he deserve it?

muddream

Banned
Listen, this Bonnar kid is as tough as they come. Nobody wanted the Anderson Silva fight when he stepped up, didn't hesitate for a second. Without him we'd still be doing shows in front of 500 people. He's what this sport is all about, not being a fuckin pain the my ass like that Frank Shamrock.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
ahghghgugfghuhghghughghughughhh nooooo god
He asked who it would be, not who we wanted it to be. Discounting folks like Rogan who already are employed by Zuffa, it's gonna be one of those kinda assholes who is in the crowd all the time and making movies for them. Or maybe Bruce Lee.

muddream

Banned
Who went to WAR in the Octagon more often than Stephan Bonnar? Not many...and certainly not Tito.

Real fuckin fighters don't have contract disputes, they just love to fuckin fight.

Vio-Lence

Banned
i just noticed the dark theme, now MMA-GAF is closer to sherdog than ever before.

and fuck Jacob Ortiz, you could make a pretty good argument that Steve "The American Psycho" Bonnar was more successful and relevant in the Ultimate post 2004 than the Huntington Beach Bad Boy.

Im down for Bonnar to be in the HoF. Hell, Mask is in there.

Bonnar
Saku
Crocop
Barnett
Wand
Big Nog
Bas Rutten
Frye
Brock
Rampage

All should be in there. They should absolutely recognize PRIDE.

Boogie

My license plate is BFNL 944. Today driving to the gym, I saw a vehicle with BFNL 945. I thought that was pretty awesome. Wish I had taken a pic, but ah well. Thought I'd share this with you all.

*Starts a full workup of background checks on Shane *

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
dat Pride rematch. Aleks vs Mirko. Maybe Freddy will come out of retirement to avenge his brothers second loss to Mirko.

Winner can fight James Thompson.

Speaking of which, what's he been doing lately? He hasn't fought since he decisioned Lashley, right?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'd pay to see Crocop vs Batista

I'd throw money on that too

Glad Dave had the good sense to do it once then get out of the game. He might have a wild hair up his ass and go for another one once Guardians wraps, but uh...don't do it Dave.

Heel

method=get&s=finish-rate-graph.jpg

So technical, Joe.

Wait a tick though - I'm pretty sure that pre zuffa UFC fights didnt end at all until someone finished them. At least the ones in the very early days like UFC 10 and earlier didn't I dont think. I remember 40 minute fights. Plus everyone knows what they're doing now and the skill sets are homogenized. Whereas before you had some Joe whose experience was breaking wood blocks at Ken's Karate in Bumfuck, Michigan fighting Royce Gracie.

Wait a tick though - I'm pretty sure that pre zuffa UFC fights didnt end at all until someone finished them. At least the ones in the very early days like UFC 10 and earlier didn't I dont think. I remember 40 minute fights. Plus everyone knows what they're doing now and the skill sets are homogenized. Whereas before you had some Joe whose experience was breaking wood blocks at Ken's Karate in Bumfuck, Michigan fighting Royce Gracie.

HE'S TRYING TO MAKE A POINT!

Vio-Lence

Banned

image.php

Happened.

Heel

I'd argue that skill parity isn't an MMA problem, it's a UFC problem. Joe Silver has pretty much "solved" matchmaking to the point that he often puts together dead even fights that go no where.

Couple that with fighters taking less risks as the stakes in MMA have risen and you're left with a lot less sizzle.

As far as the Ultimate goes, the wild west is over. Long live the squash match. Long live Bad MMA.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks to that graph I'm gonna go rewatch the old UFC David vs Goliath gimmick ppv.

muddream

Banned
I'd argue that skill parity isn't an MMA problem, it's a UFC problem. Joe Silver has pretty much "solved" matchmaking to the point that he often puts together dead even fights that go no where.

Couple that with fighters taking less risks as the stakes in MMA have risen and you're left with a lot less sizzle.

As far as the Ultimate goes, the wild west is over. Long live the squash match. Long live Bad MMA.

Gone are the days of epic budo wars in the Ultimate. Welcome in the era of squash match and stalemate snooze fests.

Powerful posting technique

dream

my friend drm what is your opinion of Floyd Money Mayweather showing up to his presser with this attire?

iqSuQsJ3BOPC8.png
While I would prefer to see PBF in a suit, I think it's important to consider two things:

1) there's no logo for Clorox bleach or condom depot on the shirt
And
2) the tshirt itself cost seven thousand dollars.

You guys think the UFC playing up Can's Mexican-ness is crazy? Watch this presser, De La Hoya is saying Viva Mexico in between every word when talking about Canelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom