• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
9b0a7f1adbc411e2b01422000aaa05b1_7.jpg

Be careful!

Quoting for a new page.

So by the time Eddie fights again, MMA-GAF will running the streets of NYC in The Division. Damn shame.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Bad Boys 2 is on right now (never watched it before) and hearing Will Smith saying "nigga" is quite jarring.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jesus christ guys, do yourselves a favor and watch all Bad Boys 2 beg to end.

one of these days, I love Martin Lawrence about 50% of the time and Will Smith like 5% of the time but it appears to be one of those things I really need to just do. Martin's stand-up days in the 90s were peerless, so good.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Tom Cruise's War of the Worlds is on now.

I forgot how much of annoying fuck that girl is.

The kid in Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is still the most annoying fucking creature ever conceptualised though.

dream

When keeping it real goes wrong. He certainly looked guilty. Brazen as fuck.

I love that brazenness. He is such a fucking gangsta and he doesn't give a fuck. That's amazing to me because he has every reason to not be so hood, but he just can't overcome his nature.

dream

The question of the crossover of interest between pro wrestling and mixed martial arts has always been a hotly debated topic, usually with both sides claiming one has nothing to do with the other for obvious reasons.

Pro wrestling companies, the WWE in particular, don't want to invite any comparison with UFC, for fear it looks like they have competition. Plus, in some venues, like pay-per-view, if it was competition, than they were losing ground to competition for years. Plus, they weren’t able to garner similar ad prices or television rights or charge close to the same ticket prices even with being an established entertainment form and with better ratings.

For obvious reasons, UFC wants no link with pro wrestling, because one is sport and the other is athletic theater.

Still, UFC's original audience in 2005 came from the pro wrestling audience that watched the WWE's flagship program, Raw, in particular the 18-34 male demographic that stuck around in huge numbers to watch The Ultimate Fighter reality show, and purchased the second Randy Couture vs. Chuck Liddell fight on pay-per-view. Since then, UFC has more than thrived on its own, but one of UFC's biggest stars in history, many would argue its biggest drawing card, Brock Lesnar, walked into UFC as a huge star based on his exposure as one of the WWE's biggest stars. And, after becoming UFC heavyweight champion, Lesnar is a significantly bigger drawing card as a pro wrestler now as former UFC star, than he was from 2002 to 2004 when WWE promoted him as one of its biggest stars.

UFC was, however, once it had its audience on Spike, able to draw on its own after WWE left Spike in the fall of 2005.

The latest bit of evidence comes in the form of Bellator ratings. Bellator in its first season on Spike TV averaged 809,000 viewers, airing directly after TNA Impact on Thursday nights at 10 p.m.

On 6/19, in its first show on Spike TV not to have a pro wrestling lead-in, the show from Thackerville, OK, headlined by "King" Mo Lawal, one of the company's best known fighters, beating former Kimbo-killer Seth Petruzelli, did a 0.4 rating and 480,000 viewers from 8-10 p.m., down 41 percent from the spring season average. The show did a 0.4 in the Male 18-34 demo, and 0.6 in the Male 35-49 demo.

The debut of Fightmaster, Bellator's new reality show starring coaches Frank Shamrock, Randy Couture, Joe Warren and Greg Jackson, did 432,000 viewers from 10-11 p.m. Neither show cracked the top 100 in the 18-49 demographic for Wednesday.

Spike officials were quick to put the blame on the Chicago Blackhawks 6-5 overtime win over the Boston Bruins in the Stanley Cup playoffs. That game did 6.64 million viewers, a number that is exceptional for the NHL.

"A lot of hockey fans are MMA fans, and that's 6.5 million viewers, a few hundred thousand were guys that we were counting on, and that's what we attribute the low numbers to," said David Schwarz, Spike TV's Senior Vice President of Communications. "We took a big hit with the hockey game."

One of the reasons both shows were put on Wednesday to debut was to avoid the possibility of going against the seventh game of the NBA championship series, on Thursday. It is very possible even with the TNA lead-in, the show would have done worse, given the NBA’s audience.

Fightmaster, which got generally strong reviews, only did a 0.5 in the target Male 35-49 age group and a terrible 0.3 in Males 18-34. Ultimate Fighter on Spike routinely did 1.5 or better in the Male 18-34 demographic, which was usually its prime audience.

How valid that excuse is will be obvious when it doesn’t go against hockey in upcoming weeks. Spike replayed the first episode the next night at both 8 p.m. and 11 p.m., both before and after Impact, to try and reach the wrestling audience. The show did 302,000 viewers at 8 p.m. the next day for a replay, well below the level of repeated UFC programming. At 11 p.m., the show replayed again after Impact and did 267,000 viewers, a number which sounds bad, but it was against the fourth quarter of the seventh game of the NBA playoffs for a show that had aired multiple times over the previous two days. It should be noted that TNA did not promote either the replay feed coming on next, nor the show itself airing a second first-run episode the next Wednesday.

"For reality shows, it takes time for people to find it," said Schwarz. "We're optimistic we'll see the numbers go up. We went head-to-head with a monster game that did a huge number."

Bellator's next live event, 7/31 in Albuquerque, which features two championship fights and three of the company's four biggest stars, is arguably the strongest lineup in company history.

The show has Michael Chandler, the company's lightweight champion, defending against David "Caveman" Rickels, and welterweight champion Ben Askren defending against Andrey Koreshkov. In addition, Lawal faces Jacob Noe in the summer light heavyweight tournament final, and Ryan Martinez faces Vitaly Minakov in the heavyweight tournament final. Both tournament winners will be getting title shots.

"We're optimistic about July 31," said Schwarz. "We've got a big card. We think it'll do better."

By all rights with such a loaded show, it should do significantly better. But with that kind of a lineup, doing less than probably 800,000 viewers for such a big show would be an indication of how much Bellator needs the wrestling audience for a normal show. Bellator programming will be moving to Friday nights in September.

Whatever chance there was of a Benson Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis rematch on 8/31 in Milwaukee went out the window when Pettis’ knee was examined by UFC doctors and they told him he needed to be rehabbing it for six weeks before getting back to training. That wouldn’t give him enough time to be in peak shape for 8/31.

In what will almost have to be his last UFC fight without a win, the one-time legend Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto returns on 9/21 in Toronto to face Ivan Menjivar. It will have been 19 months since Yamamoto, now 36, has fought in UFC, due to injury issues. Until suffering a torn ACL in late 2007, Yamamoto had a 17-1 record. He was Japan’s biggest drawing card, as a great wrestler who became a good kickboxer. While maybe 5-foot-3, he fought most of his career at 155, even though his walk-around weight was 141. He even fought to a no contest once with Josh Thomson, who was gigantic next to him. When lighter weight classes came in, the feeling was he’d dominate. But injuries started catching up to him, both the knee and a dislocated elbow suffered when he left MMA to pursue his father’s dream of an Olympic wrestling medal (he failed to make the Japanese team). Kid was popular because his father wrestled for Japan in the 1972 Olympics and later became a national coach, and his two older sisters, Seiko and Miyu, were both very pretty girls who were world champions at wrestling, almost like if Gina Carano had a sister and both sisters were world champions type of deal. Miyu also married Enson Inoue, a Hawaiian who was one of Japan’s early MMA stars, and Inoue helped take Kid from wrestling into all-around fighting. On December 31, 2004, Kid vs. Masato in a kickboxing match did a 31.6 rating, still the second most watched New Year’s Eve fight (behind Bob Sapp vs. Akebono) in the history of that tradition. While Kid lost, he did knockdown the much bigger Masato, and the Japanese saw both as winners. From there, he was the first MMA fighter to get mainstream endorsements and was Japan’s biggest MMA star until the Japanese scene collapsed. But he’s gone 1-5 since his injuries and 0-3 in UFC, and this has to be his last chance, and they obviously have not given him an opponent that is easy, as Menjivar is currently ranked No. 10 in the bantamweight division. I’m not sure what happened but Yamamoto at one point was going to cut to 125 for his last shot in UFC.

UFC has commissioned a documentary that would likely be out toward the end of this year on the 20-year history of the promotion.

Rousey did an interview last week regarding the filming of the show, which is currently going on, saying, “Now that we’re halfway through the show, I can say that a lot more interesting things have come up with Miesha than would have with Cat (Zingano, who was the original choice as coach before tearing her ACL and needing surgery just before the show was to be filmed). So yes, I think a lot of people were right about the drama aspect being better.” Last week, Dana White described the filming by saying, “It’s going exactly the way you’d expect it to be going. Bad. I’m dead serious. Miesha and Ronda hate each other. It’s literally crazy drama every day. It’s irritating. I don’t even know if some of he stuff will make TV. It’s bad. Those two do not like each other, and their camps don’t like each other. And it’s just pure f***ing mayhem every day.” Rousey also said, “I don’t need this show. I already have my options. But I want the division to work and want it to keep going without me there. I think this show is the best way to increase the depth of the women’s division and get attention to the women’s division and get to know that there are good fighters there. People don’t know who they are. I’m doing this show more in the interest of the division than to really accomplish very much personally.” Given all the offers she has, it’s going to be interesting to see how long Rousey stays in the sport.

As of this past weekend, there have been 176 UFC fights in 2013. Of those, 88 have had finishes and 88 have gone to the judges. That’s not all that shocking since the finishing rate of right around 50% has been pretty consistent since 2010. In 2005, when UFC first hit television, it was 75%, and even as late as 2008, it was 68%. The change in percentage coincides with the percentage of fighters in smaller weight classes, which as a general rule, are more likely to go do the judges.

A new MMA movie is scheduled out this summer called “Tapped,” which was filmed in Toronto and Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida are in it. The trailer is out, and both are in it. The storyline is that, “A disgruntled teenager, sent to do community service at a rundown karate school, enters an MMA tournament to face the man that killed his parents.” .
A new MMA movie is scheduled out this summer called “Tapped,” which was filmed in Toronto and Anderson Silva and Lyoto Machida are in it. The trailer is out, and both are in it. The storyline is that, “A disgruntled teenager, sent to do community service at a rundown karate school, enters an MMA tournament to face the man that killed his parents.” .

dream

Jason “Mayhem” Miller, who admittedly is pretty close to being out of his mind, Miller, who was cut by UFC after his loss to C.B. Dollaway last year, went off on Dana White. He claimed the reason MMA isn’t legal in New York was because “You keep blocking every attempt at a fighters union, firing everyone who suggests one.” Given that in the last year there was only truly controversial firing and maybe two that I’d have second guessed, which were Jon Fitch and Paul Sass, and the Fitch firing based on the reasoning that he’s declining is impossible to argue based on his first fight since being cut, I have no idea who they would be. He also wrote, “When you buy out all the competition possible, leaving one janky show available, and no union, that is basically a monopoly. Miller also claimed that he fought, blew out his knee, and his UFC insurance wouldn’t cover it by claiming it was a pre-existing injury. It should be noted that every promotion UFC bought (WFA, Pride, Strikeforce) were all promotions that the owners were trying to get out from under because they were huge money losers. It made no logical sense for UFC to run shows under any name, but UFC, since the brand name makes such a huge difference. Pride logistically couldn’t continue because they couldn’t get TV in Japan. WFA was a one-and-done dead brand. Strikeforce was kept alive for Showtime, but when the Showtime deal fell through, there was no logical reason from that point to run shows under that name instead of the UFC name nor the top Strikeforce talent away from fighting the UFC names.

While Miller is a known eccentric, putting it nicely, with some major issues, Tim Kennedy’s criticism of fighter pay won’t be so easily dismissed. Kennedy has a rep for saying what’s on his mind. On the Grappletalk podcast, Kennedy said it was pathetic about what fighters earned. “I’m one of the top three percent of guys in the whole entire sport and it would be slim pickings to survive off what I make in fighting.” “It’s a good thing I have another job because the UFC doesn’t pay very well.” “Anyone who accepts that as a reality of the sport is sad and pathetic. I hope this isn’t the reality of the sport. If it is, I should probably go do something else, like empty trash cans. I’d make more money than I do now.” Kennedy said for his 7/6 fight against Roger Gracie, a PPV fight on a bigger than usual, he’s got a $55,000 guarantee and a $15,000 win bonus. He said that after expenses, he’s only making $20,000 for the fight, and that’s a pre-tax figure. He listed 13% of his salary in gym fees, 12% for specialized nutrition and consulting; 10% to his manager, 10% to his coach, 8% for his training camp lodging, 3% for medicals and 3% for equipment.

The top matches scheduled for the 9/4 show in Brazil (the city has yet to be announced but a return to Belo Horizonte looks to be the favorite) on Fox Sports 1 is Glover Teixeira vs. Ryan Bader, Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Yushin Okami and Joseph Benavidez vs. Jussier Formiga Da Silva.

UFC has banned Pretorian Hard Sports apparel as a sponsor after they fell way behind in payments to the company.

It was announced that the 7/13 Invicta show, from Kansas City, headlined by Marloes Coenen vs. Cris Cyborg to create the company’s first featherweight champion, would be on regular PPV. It’ll be carried throughout the U.S. and Canada by all the major cable systems, as well as The Dish Network, but as of now, not by DirecTV (negotiations are ongoing). It’s on a Saturday night with no UFC, so as far as big-time MMA, it’s got the night to itself. It’s scheduled at 9 p.m. Eastern, with a four-hour show instead of the usual three-hour PPV show, and plans are for ten PPV fights if time allows for them. When Cyborg was Strikeforce champion, she retained it against Coenen on January 30, 2010, in Miami. She was simply too strong for her, and got a third round stoppage. That was the longest anyone had lasted with Cyborg since 2005, early in her career, when she was a completely different person. Cyborg and Coenen are the two most well-known active women fighters not in UFC, with Coenen having held the Strikeforce bantamweight title (now the UFC title), beating Sarah Kaufman, but losing it to Miesha Tate (who lost it to Ronda Rousey). The other PPV fights are Ayaka Hamasaki, the strawweight (115 pound) champion of the Jewels promotion in Japan, vs. Claudia Gadelha in a battle of 9-0 fighters; Sarah D’Alelio vs. unbeaten Lauren Taylor, and Leslie Smith (coming off two straight fight of the night bonuses) vs. Jennifer Maia of Brazil. They are only charging $14.95. Nobody has been successful at the PPV business without television and Invicta has yet to make a TV deal. Promoter Shannon Knapp said they got a good deal on satellite time, and since they were already using a satellite as opposed to traditional streaming for the iPPV, the added costs for doing this show weren’t that great. She said they have no expectations at all of how they will do, and the costs now are still about trying to build the 14-month old company to where it can get the right kind of a television deal. It will also be available on iPPV through Ustream at the same price. While Invicta shows have gotten good reviews, for an all-women’s promotion, I still see the long-term of whether they can make it or not dependent on getting the right television deal. It’s never going to sell a lot of live tickets and nobody has been able to make PPV work since UFC circa 1997 on a consistent basis without television. Invicta took out satellite time on its last iPPV to make sure there were no problems, after having problems with Internet streaming for some of its other shows. Amazing they can do it while Sinclair, which owns hundreds of TV stations, doesn’t.

Who is Joe Warren and why is he on a show with Randy, Jackson and Shamrock? What has he done?

Show ain't that bad. Everyone wants to scrap so far. No employable skills indeed. LOL @ that Ortiz guy and LOL @ the guy nobody wanted on their team so Warren had to get him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Bad Boys 2 overstayed it's welcome by a good 45 minutes. Come at me, playboys.

And holy shit man, Aaron Hernandez was about dat life. Double homicide now?

Heel

That megaton. Remember how we wished Spike would carry GLORY over K-1? Awesome.

A few days ago Liverkick was saying they might be changing to a 4-man grand prix this year to fit on American television.

We've been keeping our ears to the ground over the past few months in regards to everything GLORY, from possible television deals to upcoming shows to the format for their big Heavyweight tournament for this year. Last year's GLORY Grand Slam tournament was interesting, to say the least, using a one-night, sixteen man format with shorter rounds. It led to some quick action, but some of the more methodical, technical fighters like Remy Bonjasky were really hurt by such a ruleset and four fights in one night is just a lot of fights.

While some within the GLORY organization were steadfast in saying that they would repeat the format again this year, we've heard some conflicting reports on the format of the tournament. As GLORY gets closer to a larger American television deal (no insult to CBS Sports, but tape delay at 1am is simply not good enough for shows like this) they have to be concerned with time constraints and putting on a tighter, more unified production. GLORY already do a fantastic job with their pacing on their events, with the fights following each other in quick succession in a way that doesn't feel rushed, but natural. We can at least expect the quirks of last year's Grand Slam to not return.

So according to our source, who wishes to remain unnamed, this year's tournament will be shrunk down from sixteen men to just four to be able to properly fit on a two to three hour American television slot while putting on entertaining fights and being able to properly present the fighters to the audience. The first three participants will be based upon the GLORY World Rankings, although it should be noted that word is that Semmy Schilt will not participate. That means that Gokhan Saki, Daniel Ghita and Tyrone ***** are guaranteed spots in the tournament, with the fourth spot being a "Wildcard." That "Wildcard" spot will be determined by another tournament that will take place before the event, a Qualifying tournament. It is not clear who will participate in this tournament, but the next four in the rankings are Peter Aerts, Remy Bonjasky, Jerome Le Banner and Errol Zimmerman (although I believe that Rico Verhoeven is actually in that spot now after his win over Errol).

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bad Boys 2 is a true action epic. You can't have an epic done under 130 minutes playboy, it doesn't work like that.

I agree with you, despite not having seen BB2, you gotta break those 2 hour marks significantly and bring 45 minutes of action near the end to truly make an epic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom