• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream

1.4 rating

1.8 million viewers

That is the number for the main card from 8-10:45 p.m. The number is nothing short of remarkable for the first night of a new station in an unfamiliar spot on the dial, even beating out all four networks in the 18-49 demo and every key male demo.

All hail Chael.

Reem vs Schaub
Reem vs Barry
Reem vs Hunt
Reem vs Mir
Reem vs Bigfoot II

Reem should just fight in Brazil so get can be on dat dere cell tech
What a tough night to be a fan last night.

Heel

UFC Takes Center Stage in Prime Time as FOX Sports 1 Posts Strong Day 1

Los Angeles – FOX Sports 1 launched yesterday in approximately 90-million homes. Powered by 11.5 hours of live NASCAR and UFC programming, plus three hours of the inaugural editions of FOX SPORTS LIVE, FOX Sports 1 posted strong audience figures on its first day of operation, according to fast national information released by Nielsen Media Research.

FOX Sports 1, driven by UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS. SONNEN, posted an average audience of 1.71 million viewers in prime time (8:00-11:00 PM ET), a more than 10-fold increase compared to that which SPEED, FOX Soccer and FUEL TV combined to deliver on the comparable night a year ago (141,000). Among younger demographics the comparisons are even more significant. FOX Sports 1 viewership was over 25 times greater than SPEED/FOX Soccer/FUEL TV among both Adults 18-49 and Men 18-49, and 40 times greater among Adults 18-34 and M18-34. All ratings are coverage area nationals, live plus same day stream.

“We must congratulate the UFC for putting together a terrific event for the launch of FOX Sports 1 that fans were obviously very excited to watch,” said Bill Wanger, Executive Vice President, Programming and Research, FOX Sports. “The prelims and main events were action-packed, and the production quality and new camera angles gave fans a totally new perspective - hats off to the UFC and its incredibly loyal fan base for making our first night such a complete success.”

FOX Sports 1 averaged a 1.33 household rating last night in prime time, and ratings were particularly strong among younger demographics. Remarkably, FOX Sports 1 out-rated all four major broadcast networks among Adults 18-49, Adults 18-34, Men 18-49, and Men 18-34 based on impressions within each demo.

FOX Sports 1’s first ever primetime event, UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS. SONNEN, averaged a 1.38 and beat the average of the eight UFC on FX Fight Nights by +49% in rating (1.38 vs. 0.93) and +38% in viewership (1.78 million vs. 1.29 million). FOX Sports 1’s first UFC FIGHT NIGHT also beat seven of those eight FX Fight Nights individually. Among younger demographics, last night’s FOX Sports 1 card easily beat the average of FX’s primetime UFC cards by +50% in viewership among Men 18-49 (994K vs. 663K) and +44% higher among Men 18-34 (492K vs. 342K).

The inaugural airing of FOX SPORTS LIVE improved greatly over SPEED’s performance in the time period. Compared to SPEED’s third quarter of 2012 time period average FOX SPORTS LIVE improved by +137% among Total Viewers (476K vs. 201K), and an immense +1384% over SPEED’s Men 18-34 time period performance (163K vs. 11K).

UFC FIGHT NIGHT: SHOGUN VS. SONNEN was the most socially-active English-language show in all of television yesterday, with 46,520 commenters, producing 124,635 Tweets, based on the number of commenters not Tweets. For the entire day, FOX Sports 1 was the third-most socially active English-language network (52,209), as ranked by number of unique commenters after NFL Network (116,253 unique commenters) and FOX Broadcast (104,365).

iIfeNQUd75OBn.gif

rIC6y.gif

dream

So Brock countered the Go To Sleep into the Kimura Lock, but Punk stepped over and countered it into a straight armbar, then when Brock bridged, Punk transitioned to a triangle which Brock QRJ'd his way out of.

Heel

Sorry friend dream, I enjoyed Bottle Rocket's quirkiness. Dignan trying to get into the book store, Dignan going back to save Applejack, Kumar the safe cracker, Mr. Henry at the country club...just too many great moments lol. Mak shoots and scores.

Breathless was fantastic, especially the bedroom scene. The bonus features going over how that scene was filmed and how the dialogue was written on the fly was really interesting.

dream

Interested to hear your take on the jump cuts in Breathless, along with the allusions to both classical music and American noir films.

The jump cuts weren't some artistic choice. The original cut of the movie was 3 hours long and that was the only way to shorten it down. Godard didn't realize he was changing the game until after his final cut was done. Godard also edited at random.

Heel

Interested to hear your take on the jump cuts in Breathless, along with the allusions to both classical music and American noir films.

Yeah, the bonus interviews gave great perspective on the jump cuts. While watching I thought they were a bit stilted, and without watching the interviews I would have taken them for granted. Now I know how revolutionary it was at the time.

The use of special film for night scenes, using a wheel chair as a dolly, Goddard using handheld cameras to save time...all really interesting stuff. Same goes for the music and noir references. Glad I watched the second disc.

dream

No I'm serious, the self-reflexivity of Breathless combined with the intertextual references to Faulkner and Mozart and Renoir along with Bogart (did you notice Michel constantly ran his thumb across his lip? That's another nod to Bogart, who had that tic in real life) seems to suggest an outright rejection of the idea of aesthetic hierarchy but idk man maybe it's just drm.

dream

If the fundamental tenet of French New Wave is to foster an aesthetic of authenticity by breaking conventions of classical cinema, then Godard's attempt at locating Breathless as a bridge between the high and low sort of suggests that art, as a discourse, only responds to other discourses, obviating the arbitrary distinctions between cultures, no?

The only way that would be relevant is if everything was intentional. It isn't. Breathless is the outcome of a first time director making a movie too long, bowing down to the producer, and secretly trying to butcher the film.

EDIT: Dream almost go me to break my summertime rule.

#1. No discussing film analytically.

Because I have to do this shit all the time and I tire of it.

If the fundamental tenet of French New Wave is to foster an aesthetic of authenticity by breaking conventions of classical cinema, then Godard's attempt at locating Breathless as a bridge between the high and low sort of suggests that art, as a discourse, only responds to other discourses, obviating the arbitrary distinctions between cultures, no?

why can't you just watch 400 Blows and enjoy it for what it is bro

also, last year at marienbad is some trippy shit

VoxPop

Damn just got back from Boston. Great event for what it was. Crowd was fucking electric for their hometown fighters and guys like Reem, Urijah, Sonnen and Shogun. Not sure how it came off on TV but people went absolutely ape shit for JLau and McGregor. Too bad they both put up shitty performances. McGregor was okay at best.

Lol @ Reem
Lol @ Shogun
Lol @ Pride

Barnett is their lone survivor. Time to fall to the Pride destroyer in 2 weeks.

Oh yeah and Wand. Let's see how he does when someone doesn't stand in front of him and fight like an idiot (albeit awesome)

Chael was absolutely brilliant in the fight and post fight. Never marked out so hard.

Think about this friends - Doomsday's last fight in the UFC before his comeback this weekend was June 26, 2011. Dominick Cruz's last title defence came three months after that.

MjFrancis

Reem vs Schaub
Reem vs Barry
Reem vs Hunt
Reem vs Mir
Reem vs Bigfoot II

Reem should just fight in Brazil so get can be on dat dere cell tech
What a tough night to be a fan last night.
That's my favorite matchup - no matter who wins I approve of the outcome.

I'm not interested in a Bigfoot II fight just yet. Overeem just proved he needs to fight someone with a gas tank on his level before he attempts to fight anyone within spitting distance of contention in the UFC HW roster. Schaub or Barry could help put on a better show than Hunt but at this point it's clear Overeem is liable to fall over at any time in the match despite having fuck-awesome knockout power himself.

Cheick Kongo 2.0. Has anyone else called that yet? I'm sticking with that.

I'm not interested in a Bigfoot II fight just yet. Overeem just proved he needs to fight someone with a gas tank on his level before he attempts to fight anyone within spitting distance of contention in the UFC HW roster. Schaub or Barry could help put on a better show than Hunt but at this point it's clear Overeem is liable to fall over at any time in the match despite having fuck-awesome knockout power himself.

I was waiting for the fight to get stopped, Browne was taking a serious beating, but Reem is always one tap away from losing when hes gassed. Browne looked even more gassed than Reem before that kick. Very bad loss on Reems part.

CroKongo 2.0

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.

I'd say that the next fight will be Overeem vs. Pat Barry or Overeem vs. Struve.

If he ends up with fighting Shane del Rosario, then you know they're clutching at straws to save Overeem's marketability.

Heel

He apparently knows Sony's launch date so I doubt it. I like the theory that he works for the ESRB.

Why does that dude type like a doofus? Worried that his employer will pick up on his normal mannerisms? It's like he thinks he's a sleeper cell agent who has been activated and must send out code...or something, lol.

Movie talk is too high-brow for me, I mentally checked out once drm said "hierarchy of art".

I don't normally view films so analytically unless the story absolutely calls upon you to do so. Not that I'm incapable or opposed to higher thinking, but I'm more about enjoying a film at face value. I want to take in the cinematography, character dialogue and development, etc.

The dynamic between the two main characters in Breathless is absolutely enjoyable at face value, but there's plenty there for in-depth discussion and analysis if that's your thing.

VoxPop

164 is looking gooood.

Bendo x Pettis

Barnett x Mir

Mendes x Guida

Vera x Rothwell

Koch x Porier

Random FS1 Condit x Kampmann Fight Night looks meh

Some fights I would like to see next after FS1

Sonnen x Wand
Sonnen x Machida
Sonnen x Lil Nog

Shogun x Lil Nog
Shogun x Machida 3
Shogun x OSP
Shogun x Bader - Loser leaves to Bellator

Browne x Barnett
Browne x Werdum

Overeem x Miocic
Overeem x Mir
Overeem x Barry
Overeem x Struve
Overeem x Nelson

Urijah x MayDay
Urijah x Pickett

Brown x Kos
Brown x Kampmann
Brown x Lombard

Uriah Hall x Shlemenko

Doomsday x Philippou

Johnson x Jim Miller

JLau x Cerrone

McGregor x Swanson
McGregor x Korean Zombie
McGregor x Hioki
McGregor x Koch/Porier winner

OSP x Te Huna
OSP x Shogun

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Why does that dude type like a doofus? Worried that his employer will pick up on his normal mannerisms? It's like he thinks he's a sleeper cell agent who has been activated and must send out code...or something, lol.

He types that way to avoid being sourced by other websites. Game "journalists" steal news posts from GAF all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom