• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT4| BangBros

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm looking forward to all of those Fox fights you listed besides the flyweight one.

And the UFC has 15 guys signed at 125.

VoxPop

Like a matchmaker decides to add new divisions anyway. The actual matchmaking and signings at flyweight have been solid.

I guess we can ignore the biggest draws in combat sports weight like 10 pounds more than these dudes.

I was talking about the UFC on FOX card and not the divisions when i was talking about Silva.

When Mighty Mouse and Benavidez can draw like Mayweather/Pacquiao or hell even Canelo, I'll eat my words. These guys would be playing Santa's elves on direct to DVD movies if the UFC wasn't here pampering them.

sazabirules said:
I'm looking forward to all of those Fox fights you listed besides the flyweight one.

And the UFC has 15 guys signed at 125.

Did I miss the fact that vox said he was yaco's alt or something?

I'm equally hyped for Glover/Rampage, Cerrone/Pettis. Doesn't mean the card isn't shit. They should be bringing out the biggest and baddest for their Fox cards, not the bargain bin crap.

Like a matchmaker decides to add new divisions anyway. The actual matchmaking and signings at flyweight have been solid.

I guess we can ignore the biggest draws in combat sports weight like 10 pounds more than these dudes.
bu bu bu but MIDGETS

Seriously though, Mighty Mouse is a ridiculously boring fighter. It's him that makes the Flyweight Division suck just like how it's Cruz that makes the BW division suck.

Oh and Vox, Rampage/Teixeira and Cerrone/Pettis are nowhere near bargain basement crap. At least the Flyweight title isn't shitting up another PPV.

VoxPop

bu bu bu but MIDGETS

Seriously though, Mighty Mouse is a ridiculously boring fighter. It's him that makes the Flyweight Division suck just like how it's Cruz that makes the BW division suck.

Oh and Vox, Rampage/Teixeira and Cerrone/Pettis are nowhere near bargain basement crap. At least the Flyweight title isn't shitting up another PPV.

Honestly I'd rather have the flyweight shit up another PPV in co main event form than misconstrue the casuals' views on MMA again with this garbage matchup. They should just make a 140 division and if you can't cut it, send them packing to Japan where the competition is easier.

Heel

I was talking about the UFC on FOX card and not the divisions when i was talking about Silva.

When Mighty Mouse and Benavidez can draw like Mayweather/Pacquiao or hell even Canelo, I'll eat my words. These guys would be playing Santa's elves on direct to DVD movies if the UFC wasn't here pampering them.

Armchair booking is easy. Joe Silver juggles hundreds of fighters at once and is the best in the biz at what he does, period.

As far as flyweight goes, you have to start somewhere. 155 was a clusterfuck for years, now look at it. You can whine about Mighty Mouse or acknowledge that 90% of the fights have been great.

VoxPop

Armchair booking is easy. Joe Silver juggles hundreds of fighters at once and is the best in the biz at what he does, period.

As far as flyweight goes, you have to start somewhere. 155 was a clusterfuck for years, now look at it. You can whine about Mighty Mouse or acknowledge that 90% of the fights have been great.

145 is still a joke if you look at it. Only recently Edgar and KZ brought some new life to it. 135 is also a bunch of guys who couldn't cut it at 145. As is 125 to 135. It was halfway decent when Torres was king but after his dethroning, it's only been downhill from there. Barao x McDonald and winner vs Cruz is quite possibly the last good matchup left there.

I'll stick to whining about Mighty Mouse, Benavidez, McCall and Dodson which is pretty much the entire division. Rousey puts more asses in the seats than these guys ever will.

Heel

145 is still a joke if you look at it. Only recently Edgar and KZ brought some new life to it. 135 is also a bunch of guys who couldn't cut it at 145. As is 125 to 135. It was halfway decent when Torres was king but after his dethroning, it's only been downhill from there. Barao x McDonald and winner vs Cruz is quite possibly the last good matchup left there.

I'll stick to whining about Mighty Mouse, Benavidez, McCall and Dodson which is pretty much the entire division. Rousey puts more asses in the seats than these guys ever will.

Enjoy wallowing in your ignorance and spouting hyperbole, brah. Some of the best fights of the year happened at 145 and below. That includes Mighty Mouse vs. McCall.

Benavidez vs McCall is going to be an amazing fight because both of those guys go in there to hurt people. However Mighty Mouse just goes in there to point fight and tire guys out by making them chase him and you get shitty fights like the one vs Benavidez where neither guy really committed to anything.

VoxPop

Enjoy wallowing in your ignorance and spouting hyperbole, brah. Some of the best fights of the year happened at 145 and below. That includes Mighty Mouse vs. McCall.

I got nothing against 145. Barely have a tolerance for 135 and 125 is pure shite. Mighty Mouse vs McCall blew chunks. Glad you enjoy watching guys with arms shorter than Sean Sherk battling it out for the baddest 125 pounder in the world only to realize they would get obliterated by Meisha Tate.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
1IFRO.gif

Feel free to ask questions. Makes me realize there's no real simple way to dive into the sport at a base level, as far as I know. There should really be a go-to documentary, book, collection of fights that gives historical context...something.

This is somewhat helpful: http://www.ufc.com/discover/

Thanks for the link, it definitely gives me a good place to start.

I studied a little bit about the Unified Rules of the sport and I noticed that some promotions had extra rules and restrictions on top of the general rules that were introduced. Is there any particular reason for that, or were those additional rules added for the sake of differentiation?

Heel

Thanks for the link, it definitely gives me a good place to start.

I studied a little bit about the Unified Rules of the sport and I noticed that some promotions had extra rules and restrictions on top of the general rules that were introduced. Is there any particular reason for that, or were those additional rules added for the sake of differentiation?

What are the different rules and restrictions you are seeing? If it's not allowing elbows on the ground, it's because they can easily lead to cuts that stop the fight.

A promotion like Bellator that hosts a tournament will disallow elbows on the ground until the finals because there's a risk the winner could be cut by an elbow and not be able to heal in time to compete further in the tournament.

If you mean kicks and knees to a grounded opponent, that's a promotion that isn't based in the U.S. and doesn't have to worry about being sanctioned by a state athletic commission. Most promotions these days don't allow that just as a matter of safety, though.

What are the different rules and restrictions you are seeing? If it's not allowing elbows on the ground, it's because they can easily lead to cuts that stop the fight.

A promotion like Bellator that hosts a tournament will disallow elbows on the ground until the finals because there's a risk the winner could be cut by an elbow and not be able to heal in time to compete further in the tournament.

If you mean kicks and knees to a grounded opponent, that's a promotion that isn't based in the U.S. and doesn't have to worry about being sanctioned by a state athletic commission. Most promotions these days don't allow that just as a matter of safety, though.

Yeah, the differences I noticed was mostly stuff like no elbows or knees on a grounded opponent, and whether or not you could stomp on someone or spike them. A lot of these different rule sets started out in promotions that are now defunct, but I noticed that some other promotions - like Pancrase, for example - are still using somewhat different rules. Thanks for explaining the reasoning behind some of this stuff.

Out of all the new divisions, 145 is the best.

Aldo
Edgar
Zombie
Hioki
Guida
Garcia
Siver

Not too bad for a division that's been around for only a year. BW wishes it looked like that.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Out of all the new divisions, 145 is the best.

Aldo
Edgar
Zombie
Hioki
Guida
Garcia
Siver

Not too bad for a division that's been around for only a year. BW wishes it looked like that.

division looks like one stud, several 155 washouts, and tomato cans. and it's suspect that you woould leave money mendes off the list considering he'd wax about everyone else you listed.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I expect a small migration of talent from 155 to 145. It'll be the new "Failed LHW = MW Contender" scenario.

Hell, this may lead to a knock-on effect in 145ers dropping to 135 too. But I don't really give a shit about anything under 145. With Cruz gone the 135 division seems to have just completely stopped, and the less said about 125 the better.

ShaneB

I'll always favour the lighter weight classes, so if those divisions do expand with some much needed depth and some mean power punches, I'm all for it. I'm excited for Dodson vs MM, should be a great fight.

145 is deff the MW of the lighter divisions, but I don't think that's much a bad thing.

When is Weeman going to try out for the 125lb division? I'd take him over Mighty Mouse. Or maybe we can have Weeman vs Hornswagle winner gets a title shot.

SteveWD40

Ah yeah, I have had those.

I watch too many MMA Video / training blogs now to eat stuff like that without feeling guilty, fuckers with their chicken and salad / no gluton / zero carbs.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Ah yeah, I have had those.

I watch too many MMA Video / training blogs now to eat stuff like that without feeling guilty, fuckers with their chicken and salad / no gluton / zero carbs.

I put on over 10kg when I was back home for 3 weeks in 2011. Now you know why. Scotch pies, madras pizzas and doner meat calzones. Probably taken 10 years off my lifespan, but worth it.

SteveWD40

I am starting training again next month (finally) so trying to shave off the last 10 pounds until I am at my ideal weight. Don't want that horrible moment when your gi climbs up and your beer gut is hanging out for all to see, even rashguards can't hide that shit.

*munches on 2nd raw carrot of the day*

MjFrancis

My favorite UFC divisions are

1. 155
  2. 170
  3. 145
  4. 205
  5. 185

The competition at 155lbs and 170lbs is fierce. GSP has the top spot locked down, but top contenders for 170lbs may as well be picked by throwing a dart at a list of names (as what must have happened when Dan Hardy was given his shot). There's at least a half-dozen fighters at 155lbs who could take the championship from Smooth. At 145lbs things have been getting more interesting as more 155lbs guys drop down for a title shot. Plus, the Korean Zombie, against all odds, has an undefeated 3-0 streak in the UFC with FIVE UFC bonuses and a 7 second knockout on his résumé. How could you not like a division with a cat like that in it's ranks?

SteveWD40

you'd lose that 10 lbs faster if you just started training imo.

I am in the regular gym daily (cardio mostly), the standup class at my local gym is brutal though and I don't want to die young.

but top contenders for 170lbs may as well be picked by throwing a dart at a list of names (as what must have happened when Dan Hardy was given his shot).

170 was in a very weird place then, remember that Swick and Kampmann were the 2 top contenders at that point, injury's got in the way, Daley tooled Kampmann and Hardy merked Swick and there you had it, terrible decision but at the time they needed someone they could market to fight GSP who hand't just lost to him (Fitch and Kos).

My favorite UFC divisions are

1. 155
  2. 170
  3. 145
  4. 205
  5. 185

The competition at 155lbs and 170lbs is fierce. GSP has the top spot locked down, but top contenders for 170lbs may as well be picked by throwing a dart at a list of names (as what must have happened when Dan Hardy was given his shot). There's at least a half-dozen fighters at 155lbs who could take the championship from Smooth. At 145lbs things have been getting more interesting as more 155lbs guys drop down for a title shot. Plus, the Korean Zombie, against all odds, has an undefeated 3-0 streak in the UFC with FIVE UFC bonuses and a 7 second knockout on his résumé. How could you not like a division with a cat like that in it's ranks?

1) 205
2)Heavy
3)185
4)155
5)170

This is not an order on which I think are the most stacked, just on which divisions have my favorite fighters. Right now I like these divisions more because of the star power and my heroes. When guys like Wand, Shogun, Silva, Nog, Overeem, Machida, Vitor etc retire than 155 will be my fav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom