• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

MjFrancis

Machida has been on a roll since Jon Jones put him to sleep on live television. He's knocked out Ryan Bader and Mark Munoz, at least putting him up as a respectable gatekeeper, and he put on a boring dance with former great Dan Henderson and a dance with Phil Davis that every judge who wasn't on the official roster scored 30-27 in his favor.

I figure he will beat Gegard Mousasi but there's a 50/50 chance he will be able to do so in classic sports entertainment fashion. He's always had the ability to KO an opponent after he bores them half to death first.

Dysun

lyoto-machida-as-ryu2.png

the machida era starts in 2014 bros

MjFrancis

Of course if you get too aggressive with Machida, you might lose.

Beat him at his own game. Fight defensively. Wait for him to bring the fight to you, then elude his strikes with your own fluid elusiveness. Dodge, parry, roll, but whatever you do don't go for the take down unless there are mere seconds on the clock. And when you do, don't follow-up - remember, you are fighting the defensive fight. Don't use combinations too often, that's too aggressive. Be like water.

It worked for Mr. Wonderful, right?

Heel

Sadly Mousasi is right. The most effective way to beat Machida is wage a war of technicality, do your best Machida impression and get booed out of the arena.

dream

I'm at the point where not only do I not watch this stuff, but I don't even check results anymore. Gegard vs. Lyoto. Who gives a shit.

MjFrancis

Machida has explosive knockout power, if he ever cares to show up. It's like watching a cat pounce on it's prey.

It's kind of cool if it happens, but it's not something you part with money to watch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm at the point where not only do I not watch this stuff, but I don't even check results anymore. Gegard vs. Lyoto. Who gives a shit.

My strategy of only watching co-main and main events has worked wonders for my enjoyment of the "sport". Not sure how friend Heel watches so much bad mma without wanting to off himself.

I have no faith in the EA UFC game. At first I was pumped but its close to release and so far its bare as fuck bones.

-No Pride?
-Legends
-Legend Attire
-Career mode?
-Only a 100+ Roster? Sounds bare bones

EA MMA even had a PRIDE mode. WTF. And there has been a total lack of game play

MjFrancis

The title of the video has "gameplay" in it

And there's no gameplay, dafuq
There's a tendency in AAA games to dumb down the game mechanics while the eye candy gets all the attention and development time. It's not necessarily an either/or equation, but too many developers seem to be treating it that way. Press X to win, fill up bars and all that jazz.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I have no faith in the EA UFC game. At first I was pumped but its close to release and so far its bare as fuck bones.

-No Pride?
-Legends
-Legend Attire
-Career mode?

I keep saying this is just EA MMA with next gen graphics and the UFC roster. EA will throw out their standard excuse about how they needed to get the engine up and running (probably the same engine as EA MMA in reality) and next year's game will have more content (it won't).

It's going to be a yearly release game. They will stretch these supposed features out like always. And no gameplay and its like two months away? Come on brahs.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Holy shit I got destroyed at work yesterday. I was actually seeing double on the drive home. Thank goodness I was driven home by a dancer or I might've done something irresponsible. I have no idea how bone junior managed to make an appearance later on, I thought I might not get it him up due to the combination of beer, black label, and 151.

Oh you wanted a work story Grimmy

Vio-Lence

Banned

-No Pride?
-Legends
-Legend Attire
-Career mode?

in Pride Mode does yakuza come up to you before the match and offer you a bonus for jobbing to Wand?

ShaneB

My strategy of only watching co-main and main events has worked wonders for my enjoyment of the "sport". Not sure how friend Heel watches so much bad mma without wanting to off himself.

I keep saying, fast foward is magical! No wonder a card will suck after watching like 7 hours of fights only being mediocre.

bone_and_sinew

Beer, Black Label and 151?

I would be fucking dead.
Gotta do these crazy things now before I turn 30 a year from now, my testosterone drops, and I have to go on TRT. But at least on TRT I'll be Old New Bone and do whatever I want, as long as its in Brazil since Vegas won't have me.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I keep saying, fast foward is magical! No wonder a card will suck after like 7 hours of fights only being mediocre.

Yeah, no way am I getting up at 3-4 AM to watch the full card. That'll just put me back to sleep. Nowadays, unless I'm somehow somewhat interested, I'll just check the thread to see if it any fights sound interesting. Otherwise I can't be bothered.

bone_and_sinew

Like Chamber, my MMA watching is basically down to mains, co-mains, and that's about it really. And at least you guys get to watch it on tv in HD, I gotta watch a shitty flash stream on my phone since work doesn't carry ppv cards anymore.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Does it do that bad writing thing that all TV shows do for stupid people? Were the reiterate the plot every five seconds?

I find the show to be really well acted, well written, and well shot. It's the total package as far as I'm concerned. The last episode featured a 6 or 7 minute tracking shot during a gangland deal gone bad. Shit was children of men or michael mann tier.

Top Bottom