• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

TheChits

Gotta feel for Hathaway. Dude hasn't fought since September of 2012. Put up a good fight.

Dude was dazed since the first minute when he started shadow boxing.

Yeah not getting a tune up fight after such a long time off really sucks. Props to him for making it a good show though

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i know he was up against nam chan, but wow, vaughn lee looked outstanding.

ShaneB

Just finished the main card..

Menjovar/Hioki awesome fight, those standing hammerfists were funny however. I had Menjivar winning =/

Mitrione/Jordan - woo. That went as I hoped, a quick ko.

Sai/Lipeng - decent fight.

Kim/Hathaway - Great scrap! What a killer elbow.

TheChits

John_Hathaway_vs._Dong_Hyun_Kim_ktfo.gif

Video where you can hear the impact of the elbow. The gif doesn't do it justice

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Ugh. That was a fair wallop. Reminded me of Glover's bout with Maldonado; sometimes you get the feeling they've played with the mics to boost the sound of the strikes up a bit, but in both of those cases it just sounded, I don't know, appropriately brutal?

ShaneB

This Twerksun dude who is getting worked is supposed to be the best MMA fighter in China.

Christ, XFC puts this shit to shame. Congrats on that World Fucking Domination, Uncle Dana. Good luck getting people to pay for the PPVs you've watered down for this bullshit.

It's at the point where all my friends who used to be hardcore fans that got me to be a hardcore fan don't watch the shit anymore. They're all sick of how diluted the product is now.

Best UFC card of 2014 so far.

poly... these two posts are some great contradictory bullshit.

I'm on TeamPositive, everyone knows this, and I remember that it was pretty much chits (and MjFrancis too apprently :)) and I that were looking forward to some fights on this card. I don't mean to pull a Dana here, but just save the bullshit for when cards are actually over. You can bitch and complain all you want when cards are over if cards are indeed terrible and trash and boring whatever else, but until they're over, no one has any fucking idea how they're going to play out.

Fun card all around, good prelims. Was fun watching Vaughn Lee style on Phan.

Hey that's how I was feeling at the beginning of the card coming off the the last 3 abysmal UFC shows.. and in the beginning of the prelims we were seeing a similar lack of budo for the most part.

The turning point for the China card to me was the Vaughan Lee / Nam Phan fight. Vaughan was in beast mode and every fight from then on was generally good IMO. Like I said, it was the most entertaining card of 2014 by far, but it's not like the bar was set incredibly high before that.

It's not like "Best UFC card of 2014 so far" is necessarily high praise. It's like saying Event Horizon is the best Paul W.S. Anderson film.

Hey that's how I was feeling at the beginning of the card coming off the the last 3 abysmal UFC shows.. and in the beginning of the prelims we were seeing a similar lack of budo for the most part.

The turning point for the China card to me was the Vaughan Lee / Nam Phan fight. Vaughan was in beast mode and every fight from then on was generally good IMO. Like I said, it was the most entertaining card of 2014 by far, but it's not like the bar was set incredibly high before that.

It's not like "Best UFC card of 2014 so far" is necessarily high praise. It's like saying Event Horizon is the best Paul W.S. Anderson film.

This card was better than the last, and that card was better than the card before it. It's a positive trend, Pauly.

And this trend will continue until it culminates in the TUF womens' 115 final with Tiny Tornado versus Thug Rose, an event both so athletically awesome and sexy that it will firmly ensconce THE ULTIMATE as the #1 sport worldwide for the rest of the millennium. We will then be able to get rid of the pretense of calling MMA by any name other than THE ULTIMATE, and also the pretense that any other sports matter in our solar system.

OH PORRA!

Countered a right elbow with a spinning one and knocked him out...PORRA!

It was a good card. We need to ease up on the ultimate a little bit...you know we got Dragon/Weidman baby! thats great right? Followed up by Manuwa/Gus and Guillard/Johnson in London before the big WW championship card.in Texas So the next ones oughta be good!

Vio-Lence

Banned
Watched 12 years a slave, gravity, and american hustle last night during the snow storm. Haven't seen all the bp nominees but 12 years should be a lock. Type of movie that wins Oscars. I think my favorite of 2013 was rush.

Watched 12 years a slave, gravity, and american hustle last night during the snow storm. Haven't seen all the bp nominees but 12 years should be a lock. Type of movie that wins Oscars. I think my favorite of 2013 was rush.

haha, I watched 12 Years A Slave last night too.

Didn't the constant reusing of the Inception "Time" theme take you out of the flick? Like you were expecting to see a spinning top on one of the tables on screen?

I mean fucking seriously. For fuck's sake at least change what key it's in.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I didn't notice. I haven't seen inception since its theatrical run. Let's say the theme wasn't very memorable to me.

It was well acted. It was a good looking film. Not sure I'd want to watch it again due to subject matter.

Should be mandatory watch in us highschool history class.

Vio-Lence

Banned
wonder who's dick David O. Russel is sucking to get his last 3 movies nominated for best picture. I think the fighter, silver linings playbook, and american hustle were slightly above average flicks. nothing exceptional at all.

wonder who's dick David O. Russel is sucking to get his last 3 movies nominated for best picture. I think the fighter, silver linings playbook, and american hustle were slightly above average flicks. nothing exceptional at all.

I'd have to disagree with you on Silver Linings Playbook, and Christian Bale definitely deserved his Oscar for The Fighter, but as far as American Hustle goes I agree completely. It wasn't a bad flick by any means, I liked it, but nowhere near Best Picture-worthy IMO.

The Globes gave it all those awards because it was the most bang for their buck in terms of getting big stars to come and then the hype machine took it from there.

ShaneB

My point is why bother posting that crap while the card is just starting? It's pointless. You obviously love MMA, you obviously started watching in hopes that there would be good fights. If you hated the UFC that much you would just not watch these cards. But you started watching, and you start to spew negativity claiming it's a complete disaster. It's like in the other sports threads when people claim their team is the absolute worst, and the game is over and it's not even 10 minutes done yet. It's pathetic in my opinion. Have some fucking faith in a sport you love. If you think it's all doom and gloom, just stop watching, and save the nonsense until a card is actually over. But no, you started watching because I guess you hoped to see good fights, so why be so negative?

And who cares if "Best UFC card of 2014 so far" is a low bar right now? Not every card is going to be stellar, it was a fun night of fights from top to bottom. What else does a card need to be?

*shrug*

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
haha, I watched 12 Years A Slave last night too.

Didn't the constant reusing of the Inception "Time" theme take you out of the flick? Like you were expecting to see a spinning top on one of the tables on screen?

I mean fucking seriously. For fuck's sake at least change what key it's in.

Blatant reuse is a recurring thing for Zimmer. And Gregson-Williams.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Why dont you shut up and back him up for once...hes one of our kind that was a shiny star in this...dont degrade him!!!

I'm tired of watching him go into the astral plane against his will. Mirko does a great job of degrading himself by not hanging it up already. In hindsight he should have hung it up after the 06 OWGP.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I'm tired of watching him go into the astral plane against his will. Mirko does a great job of degrading himself by not hanging it up already. In hindsight he should have hung it up after the 06 OWGP.
Against his will? For all you know he is the angel that tells fighters it is not their time thus allowing their earthly bodies to regain consciousness.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
What does "one of our kind" mean? Are you suggesting Gr1mfriend took money to shinblast Japanese cans in predetermined matches back in the day?

Preposterous. I did it for free.

Against his will? For all you know he is the angel that tells fighters it is not their time thus allowing their earthly bodies to regain consciousness.

I laughed but then like bender with an emotion chip made myself feel bad.

Top Bottom