• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
what dat is?
i had to google

eQ3j90U.gif

fascinating

dream

Weird. TNA just did a backstage segment where Dixie told Hulk Bellator's attorneys will no longer allow Tito and QRJ to appear on Impact Wrestling until after the Bellator PPV and that Tito and QRJ aren't happy about it. What do you make of this, Heel?

FACE

Banned
Constructive criticism generally involves thoughts and ideas that improve the sport for the benefit of all.... and this means more than "have less cards!".

Anyways, I'm going to just starting putting some team negative members on ignore, that will make this a more enjoyable place.

Bitch.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Dana: "BJ called me up out of the blue and said he wants to fight Ben Henderson. I said Ben Henderson? Why would you want to fight him? And he told me he thinks if he beats Ben Henderson I'd give him the fight he really wants .. Frankie Edgar. And then if he wins that maybe he gets Pettis. This kid is fucking fired up. He's so fired up he made me fired up!"

This reads like one of Heel's mock Dana posts.

Lenovos are nice.

How long do you think this would last? Like hows the build quality? I've had the same asus since 2009. I don't upgrade laptops that much because I never do much with them.

Also, I found out today I get all Microsoft software for free because of my major.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I like my mbp and I think the build quality is great, however you are paying a premium w/out much in return over a windows based box.

Another potential negative is that I've experienced nothing but issues with apple products past the 2 year mark. YMMV obviously.

MjFrancis

Dana: "BJ called me up out of the blue and said he wants to fight Ben Henderson. I said Ben Henderson? Why would you want to fight him? And he told me he thinks if he beats Ben Henderson I'd give him the fight he really wants .. Frankie Edgar. And then if he wins that maybe he gets Pettis. This kid is fucking fired up. He's so fired up he made me fired up!"
Chamber said:
This reads like one of Heel's mock Dana posts.
Either they are one and the same or they share the same account here. That explains away everything.

Dana says the highest pay for one fight in the UFC was $5 million in 2007. Who was it?

I went through all the events in 2007 and selected a list of the likeliest candidates of those who headlined a PPV card...

Rich Franklin
Chuck Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Mirko Crocop
George St. Pierre
Randy Couture
Anderson Silva
Matt Hughes
Dan Henderson

Next

bones posted this on his instagram.
http://instagram.com/p/eJpZHPMDPq

if that wasn't douchebag enough already, his description almost makes me vomit.. and he's got a lion for an avatar.
I think his only redeaming quality is he's a Fyodor fan.
that and he's an awesome fighter :/

Vio-Lence

Banned
Dana says the highest pay for one fight in the UFC was $5 million in 2007. Who was it?

I went through all the events in 2007 and selected a list of the likeliest candidates of those who headlined a PPV card...

Rich Franklin
Chuck Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Mirko Crocop
George St. Pierre
Randy Couture
Anderson Silva
Matt Hughes
Dan Henderson

If I had to guess it was either Handy Randy for his fight with Big Timmy or Gabe,

Or

Chuck in his rematch with QRJ.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I like my mbp and I think the build quality is great, however you are paying a premium w/out much in return over a windows based box.

Another potential negative is that I've experienced nothing but issues with apple products past the 2 year mark. YMMV obviously.

I used a MBP at work. It was a quality product but there's just no way I could justify spending that much money on one knowing that for the same cash I could get a windows laptop that would blow it out of the water.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

Rich Franklin
Chuck Liddell
Rampage Jackson
Mirko Crocop
George St. Pierre
Randy Couture
Anderson Silva
Matt Hughes
Dan Henderson

I think it's Chuck. I think.

Vio-Lence

Banned
I used a MBP at work. It was a quality product but there's just no way I could justify spending that much money on one knowing that for the same cash I could get a windows laptop that would blow it out of the water.

The main selling points of the MBP are the display, trackpad, and the case. It feels like a high end product. The downside is mine is 3 years old and has been having issues for the last year to 1.5 years. I've had the same issue with several gens of various ipod products. good luck any of them lasting 2 years of regular use. apple products don't seem like they are built to last.

I'm also not a huge fan of the operating system. for my money W7 is the single best OS in the past 10 years. Rock solid. The PC I built 4+ years ago has never crashed or had a single issue on W7. Any crashes I've had have been related to unstable overclocks.

IMO, for personal use there isn't much need for a laptop. i rather have a dedicated self built desktop PC for gaming and general activity and a tablet for internet browsing on the couch. outside of work and traveling for work, i don't see the need for laptops in 2013.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
None. Integrated graphics, same with the 13" MBP.

If you want a discrete GPU Mac you need to get at least a 15" MBP.

Which is something I have a hard time justifying for $1800, especially when you consider the kind of PC you can build for that amount. I love Macbooks and OSX, just hate the prices.

None. Integrated graphics, same with the 13" MBP.

If you want a discrete GPU Mac you need to get at least a 15" MBP.

That's what I was hinting at.

15 inch MBP $1,800:
15-inch: 2.3GHz

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Lenovo IdeaPad y410 I bought through the school deal for $760:
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
1TB 5400 RPM hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB

VoxPop

It's interesting how far along the sport has come since 2007.

This was their idea of a stacked card, even calling it UFC 73: Stacked

Kenny Florian vs. Alvin Robinson
Antônio Rodrigo Nogueira vs. Heath Herring
Tito Ortiz vs. Rashad Evans
Sean Sherk (c) vs. Hermes Franca
Anderson Silva (c) vs. Nate Marquardt

This was their Fight Night card

Drew McFedries vs. Jordan Radev
Jon Fitch vs. Roan Carneiro
Jason Black vs. Thiago Tavares
Sam Stout vs. Spencer Fisher

I'm grateful for what we have today

lol @ crocop's $350k paychecks

Overall the payscale seemed to be better back in 2007 with the smaller roster as well

My guesses for the 5 mil payout

Chuck for his December 30, 2006 rematch with Tito

Chuck for his Rampage rematch

Wand to stop ducking Chuck and come over to the UFC

Randy for his return to the UFC's HW division

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm also not a huge fan of the operating system. for my money W7 is the single best OS in the past 10 years. Rock solid. The PC I built 4+ years ago has never crashed or had a single issue on W7. Any crashes I've had have been related to unstable overclocks.

After using a MBP since Monday I have written off OSX. It's absolute junk compared to Windows 7. Whether it's the persistent top menu bar or the fact you can't maximise a program without moving it to its own individual page is stupid. The lack of a coherent taskbar and start menu also are grating. That and the spinning coloured circle of doom.

Don't get me wrong, the MBP is stellar hardware, and maybe I'd appreciate OSX with a larger screen, but I'm probably going to stick with Windows 7 until it becomes obsoleted by hardware changes or game requirements.

VoxPop

That's what I was hinting at.

15 inch MBP $1,800:
15-inch: 2.3GHz

2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz
4GB 1600MHz memory
500GB 5400-rpm hard drive1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 512MB of GDDR5 memory

Lenovo IdeaPad y410 I bought through the school deal for $760:
4th Generation Intel Core i7-4700MQ Processor (2.40GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
1TB 5400 RPM hard drive
NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB

I just bought a 13" Macbook Air for my gf for her birthday which should be coming in a few days. Came out to $1300 after tax/shipping for

1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
8GB memory
128GB flash storage

I've used a couple of windows notebooks, PCs along with the MBA, MBP, MBPr, iMac the past few years.

My general thoughts

One shouldn't even bother thinking about a discrete GPU as they all suck on every notebook aside from those giant Alienwares and Sagers. The new Haswells and even some of the Ivy Bridges have decent enough integrated graphics for light gaming. If you want to be gaming all the time, I'd recommend a full on desktop PC.

I use the 27" iMac and MBPr at work and they both suck for gaming. While it can run things decently, for that price, you would expect it to be a lot beefier.

The 2880 x 1800 resolution on the MBPr is absolutely glorious but it definitely chugs once in a while.

What you're paying for when you purchase a Mac is

- OSX: I very much prefer it to Windows and even have it dual booting at home on my PC but I guess it mostly comes down to personal preference

- Trackpad: I still don't get why Windows laptops don't have better trackpads. The trackpads on Macs are just amazing and I don't understand how I've lived without it pre-OSX

- Great design and size: While the design has been largely the same for the past couple of years, its definitely my favorite of all notebooks. It just looks great, feels great and the MBA especially is extremely light.

- Applecare: Can't stress how great Applecare is. Repairing or replacing Windows notebooks are a pain in the ass with you waiting as much as a few weeks to have your shit sent back to your from China.

Keyboard is good but not great. Definitely better on the MBP than the MBA

Flash storage / SSDs are an absolute must on notebooks. Much quieter, less moving parts, MUCH faster for everyday tasks. HDDs are a thing of the past and no one should use them except for external storage (if even that)

If you do absolutely nothing on your laptop and just use it for general web browsing, light gaming, watching movies, etc

PCs are just fine for that along with the right specs. I'm sure there are great windows notebooks out there but I have yet to try them. But when you match them spec for spec, side by side, the MBA just seems like a better value based purely on hardware.

It just a matter if you wanna enjoy it in a better fashion via Apple's perks for their $200-$400 premium. I honestly think the Macbook Air is the best bang for the buck for general computing along with its size, speed and amazing battery life.

MBPr if you want a workhorse for all your Adobe apps. It's definitely overpriced imo but well worth it if you have the cash. I'd definitely wait for the Haswell refresh though.

Heel

I'm grateful for what we have today

Believe me, 5 years from now you'll be saying the same thing about today's cards. Father Time makes cans of everyone.

MjFrancis

Fight Night cards haven't changed all that much - if anything some of them improved.

The PPV card looks well enough, but I wasn't watching then so many of those fighters were probably held in higher regard at the time.

Vio-Lence

Banned
Vox next time you are banned for arguing about mobile devices, ask yourself "Who ya crappin?"

That UFC 73 main card is fucking stacked compared to today's standards. In 2007 all those guys were still legit. A PPV with 2 title fights. Spider Silver and the Muscle Shark. An up-and-coming wrestler Suga Rashad vs an old vanguard wrestler Tito Ortiz in a passing of the torch match. The UFC debut of Big Nog over a tough Herring. Plus "I finish fights" Kflo in the opener.

Hindsight might say these fights suck now, but you are looking with the benefit of 20/20 vision 6 years later.

Lets compare it to the dogshit that is UFC 165 main card:
Light Heavyweight Jon Jones (c) vs. Alexander Gustafsso
Bantamweight Renan Barão (ic) vs. Eddie Wineland
Heavyweight Brendan Schaub vs. Matt Mitrione
Middleweight Costa Philippou vs. Francis Carmont
Lightweight Pat Healy vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Heel

I agree with friend Vio-Bud. To test this theory, I picked a random pay-per-view main card from Wikipedia.

Welterweight bout: Thiago Alves vs. John Howard
Lightweight bout: Joe Stevenson vs. Mac Danzig
Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Charles Oliveira
Heavyweight bout: Stefan Struve vs. Sean McCorkle
Welterweight Championship bout: Georges St-Pierre (c) vs. Josh Koscheck

This is less than 3 years ago. Here's another.

Middleweight bout: Kyle Noke vs. Chris Camozzi
Welterweight bout: Chris Lytle vs. Brian Ebersole
Lightweight bout: George Sotiropoulos vs. Dennis Siver
Middleweight bout: Michael Bisping vs. Jorge Rivera
Welterweight bout: B.J. Penn vs. Jon Fitch

VoxPop

Vox next time you are banned for arguing about mobile devices, ask yourself "Who ya crappin?"

That UFC 73 main card is fucking stacked compared to today's standards. In 2007 all those guys were still legit. A PPV with 2 title fights. Spider Silver and the Muscle Shark. An up-and-coming wrestler Suga Rashad vs an old vanguard wrestler Tito Ortiz in a passing of the torch match. The UFC debut of Big Nog over a tough Herring. Plus "I finish fights" Kflo in the opener.

Hindsight might say these fights suck now, but you are looking with the benefit of 20/20 vision 6 years later.

Please.

Anderson Silva defending his title against a Pancrase standout that no one cares about

Sherk x Franca was the equivalent of today's Barao x Wineland as no one would pay to see these two fight

undefeated Rashad coming off his headkick KO over Sean Salmon (!) fighting a guy who just got mauled by Chuck. Not to mention they fight to a draw cause of Tito's constant cage grabbing

Nog coming over from Pride and struggling to win in a Pride rematch no one wanted to see in the first place.

Ex title contender KenFlo going up against Alvin Robinson.

Hardly "stacked"

I watched this card live so it must count for something, right?

Don't get me wrong. Current era UFC has had its fair share of shitty diluted cards. But keep in mind this "Stacked" card came at the height of MMA's popularity with recent folding of Pride under their belt as well. This is the best they could come up with?

Heel

Main Card on Pay-Per-View

Bantamweight Renan Barão def. Urijah Faber
Middleweight Tim Boetsch def. Hector Lombard
Heavyweight Cheick Kongo def. Shawn Jordan
Welterweight James Head def. Brian Ebersole
Welterweight Matthew Riddle vs Chris Clements

You think this will hold up 5 years from now, Viofriend?

I just bought a 13" Macbook Air for my gf for her birthday which should be coming in a few days. Came out to $1300 after tax/shipping for

1.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz
Intel HD Graphics 5000
8GB memory
128GB flash storage

I've used a couple of windows notebooks, PCs along with the MBA, MBP, MBPr, iMac the past few years.

My general thoughts

One shouldn't even bother thinking about a discrete GPU as they all suck on every notebook aside from those giant Alienwares and Sagers. The new Haswells and even some of the Ivy Bridges have decent enough integrated graphics for light gaming. If you want to be gaming all the time, I'd recommend a full on desktop PC.

I use the 27" iMac and MBPr at work and they both suck for gaming. While it can run things decently, for that price, you would expect it to be a lot beefier.

The 2880 x 1800 resolution on the MBPr is absolutely glorious but it definitely chugs once in a while.

What you're paying for when you purchase a Mac is

- OSX: I very much prefer it to Windows and even have it dual booting at home on my PC but I guess it mostly comes down to personal preference

- Trackpad: I still don't get why Windows laptops don't have better trackpads. The trackpads on Macs are just amazing and I don't understand how I've lived without it pre-OSX

- Great design and size: While the design has been largely the same for the past couple of years, its definitely my favorite of all notebooks. It just looks great, feels great and the MBA especially is extremely light.

- Applecare: Can't stress how great Applecare is. Repairing or replacing Windows notebooks are a pain in the ass with you waiting as much as a few weeks to have your shit sent back to your from China.

Keyboard is good but not great. Definitely better on the MBP than the MBA

Flash storage / SSDs are an absolute must on notebooks. Much quieter, less moving parts, MUCH faster for everyday tasks. HDDs are a thing of the past and no one should use them except for external storage (if even that)

If you do absolutely nothing on your laptop and just use it for general web browsing, light gaming, watching movies, etc

PCs are just fine for that along with the right specs. I'm sure there are great windows notebooks out there but I have yet to try them. But when you match them spec for spec, side by side, the MBA just seems like a better value based purely on hardware.

It just a matter if you wanna enjoy it in a better fashion via Apple's perks for their $200-$400 premium. I honestly think the Macbook Air is the best bang for the buck for general computing along with its size, speed and amazing battery life.

MBPr if you want a workhorse for all your Adobe apps. It's definitely overpriced imo but well worth it if you have the cash. I'd definitely wait for the Haswell refresh though.

Did you miss the part when I wrote that the laptop I bought has a 4th gen in it already? Also, you sure love that kool-aid.

VoxPop

Main Card on Pay-Per-View

Bantamweight Renan Barão def. Urijah Faber
Middleweight Tim Boetsch def. Hector Lombard
Heavyweight Cheick Kongo def. Shawn Jordan
Welterweight James Head def. Brian Ebersole
Welterweight Matthew Riddle vs Chris Clements

You think this will hold up 5 years from now, Viofriend?

Anderson Chael 2 was originally set to ME this card.

Aldo Koch was supposed to serve as Co-ME.

Nog pulled out with an injury against Kongo.

Akiyama was supposed to face Thiago Alves, Akiyama got injured. replaced with Siyar. Alves got injured. Siyar then got injured and got replaced with Clements.

Thiago Silva was also supposed to fight Shogun on this card. Silva got injured. Shogun got pulled to face Vera on FOX shortly after.

This was an awesome card before all the injuries.

Vio-Lence said:
2007 kflo wasn't a title contender. He was a guy coming off tuf working his way up the ranks.

Wrong. KenFlo fought your ever loving Muscle Shark for the LW strap in 2006

TheKaeptain said:
Did you miss the part when I wrote that the laptop I bought has a 4th gen in it already? Also, you sure love that kool-aid.

Wut?

Lets compare it to the dogshit that is UFC 165 main card:
Light Heavyweight Jon Jones (c) vs. Alexander Gustafsso
Bantamweight Renan Barão (ic) vs. Eddie Wineland
Heavyweight Brendan Schaub vs. Matt Mitrione
Middleweight Costa Philippou vs. Francis Carmont
Lightweight Pat Healy vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Man speaks the truth. That 2007 card was awesome. This 165 card should be free

I had no idea that Arlovksi is fighting today. Should be a decent scrap lol

Top Bottom