• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

I mean, sure, that was a fun fight. But man, these guys are just not good fighters.

Truth. Matt Brown is a gate keeper with a nice career of putting guys over ahead of him because of his fun style, and Erick Silva is the Brazillian Roger Huerta.

if you think every single fight is going to be some kind of technical showcase then im sorry. maybe you should stick to straight jiu jitsu or kickboxing fights

That has nothing to do with being a good, high level fighter. Matt Brown is not this. He's an entertaining fighter, no doubt, and he can beat up on guys in the middle and lower tiers, but that fight as fun as it was, was sloppy as fuck. Brown was basically fighting a guy who was out on his feet for 2 and a half rounds and was still going out there looking like a fight out of a Rocky movie.

dream

if you think every single fight is going to be some kind of technical showcase then im sorry. maybe you should stick to straight jiu jitsu or kickboxing fights

I'm not saying the fight wasn't fun. It was a fun fight. So was the fight between the two dudes leaving the bar last night. That doesn't mean they're actually talented fighters.

Lazyslob

Banned
I'm not saying the fight wasn't fun. It was a fun fight. So was the fight between the two dudes leaving the bar last night. That doesn't mean they're actually talented fighters.

lol i dont think you really know what a talented fighter is. they are talented and ill bet theyll whoop most amateur and coming up fighters. the best in this is just insane. dont downplay people just because they arent the fucking best

Heel

Matt Brown is the best hand the Ultimate has. Whoever finally beats him is going over the moon. UFC, do not waste this opportunity.

lol i dont think you really know what a talented fighter is. they are talented and ill bet theyll whoop most amateur and coming up fighters. the best in this is just insane. dont downplay people just because they arent the fucking best

a guy that can "whoop most amateur and coming up fighters" sounds sorta like a gatekeeper to me.

dream

So you agree that Matt Brown is a gatekeeper at best. Cool.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Disappointed in Erick Silva for keeping the Matt Brown train going. Disappointed in Heel for putting over Matt Brown in nerdchat. I want to fight you irl, friend.

well of course, most gatekeepers are what? like 90 percent of fighters to you?

Of course when we have these kinds of conversations and discussions they are relative. We are not saying Matt Brown is a mediocre fighter compared to the rest of the world, just like when people say Kwame Brown is a shit basketball player even though he could probably drop 50 and 20 on your average playground. But compared to the top of the division in his chosen profession? He's not that great.

Heel

Greg Savage ‏@TheSavageTruth 5m
The ambulance gurney is being brought to the octagon door. Looks like they are prepping him to transport to the hospital.

Greg Savage ‏@TheSavageTruth 2m
Backboard is in the cage and they have immobilized Silva. He's on the backboard and on his way out of the cage.

BnVHDSRCcAYeBR9.jpg:large

Lazyslob

Banned
Of course when we have these kinds of conversations and discussions they are relative. We are not saying Matt Brown is a mediocre fighter compared to the rest of the world, just like when people say Kwame Brown is a shit basketball player even though he could probably drop 50 and 20 on your average playground. But compared to the top of the division in his chosen profession? He's not that great.

im not talking about people in the world. he is a good fighter and he just fucking beat a good fighter. then "oh lol he's just a gatekeeper"

edit: hope silva is okay

I wouldn't be surprised if Silva fought a majority of that fight with a concussion. His corner really should have thrown in the towel in the 2nd when he gassed again 30 seconds in.

im not talking about people in the world. he is a good fighter and he just fucking beat a good fighter. then "oh lol he's just a gatekeeper"

edit: hope silva is okay

Erick Silva is a product of hype. He's not really shown himself to be some great fighter either. There's a reason this fight was buried on FS1.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Silva looked like complete shit. Give him more Japanese cans to crush.

Matt Brown would get destroyed by the top of the division.

Rur0ni

Liked Philippou's knockout of Larkin. Was some heavy strikes being thrown around in there.

Edit: Dude bounced off the mat like a street fighter character.

No one better try to pin this on Herb. He did a damn fine job tonight.

Silva was never really out so I don't think you can put it on Herb. His corner should have stopped it though. Even if he was returning punches it was clear early in the 2nd that he was done and had no shot of winning this fight. You don't magically un-gas when you are that dead tired.

Dysun

Erik Silva gassed out in the first round and Matt Brown beat on him for a while in a sloppy fight. Mildly entertaining, but I still think he gets worked easy by anyone in the Top 5

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Erick Silva is probably one loss away from going back to Jungle Fights. It's a shame really, as he obviously has/had potential, but he didn't learn from the Jon Fitch fight. That and anyone who gets KO'd by Dong Hyun Kim is always going to be suspect. He's 4-4 in the UFC (5-3 adjusted for that robbery of a DQ loss) but I figure that he has to start from the very bottom again in order to be taken seriously. That and spend a lot of time on a treadmill.

As for this whole Matt Brown discussion, he is introduced as a "technical brawler", so what do you expect? I figure he'd make for an entertaining title fight, and may even steal a win from a guy like Lawler or Ellenberger, but against someone like Condit he's getting smashed. A fight against Nick Diaz would be quite interesting to watch.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'd like to see matt brown get a large step up in competition. the guys earned my respect. he might not be the best, but unlike a lot of fighters he always presses forward and unlike a lot of aggressive fighters he is ALWAYS going for big hits and not just waiting for opportunities. he has cardio for days, has a chin/heart, and is willing to get hit to land a hit. i think he is dangerous to anyone in the weight class.

i like the diaz match up.

Dysun

If you would've told me in 2010 that in 2014 Matt Brown would be in title contention, I would've laughed loud and long.
I laugh loud and long at the notion now

Erik Silva
Mike Pyle
Jordan Mein
Mike Swick
Luis Ramos
Stephen Thompson
Chris Cope

Not one top fighter in there

ShaneB

From back in March...

Erick "Da Fallen God" Silva vs. Matt Brown. May 10 Fight Night.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Awesome, awesome fight

I see fireworks in our future.

Good friends.

Is this where we pretend finishes make for a good and exciting fight?

I'm with Chamber and anyone else who can think logically about entertainment.. This "don't complain until you see the fights!" logic is null and void when it's Matt fucking Brown, or a card that starts at 4:00 AM featuring Royston Wee.

Back to RAW, brehs!

Yeah... to you and to anyone else who doubted the fight...
iItHhjuJJ7ncS.gif

Heel

I was wrong, Shane. Matt Brown is great enhancement talent. Perhaps the best carpenter in the Ultimate today. He's going to put someone over with actual talent in a big way.

Top Bottom