• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

hehehehehe_duck.gif

Not an impressive night for the UFC. Maybe a few okay fights out of 20 or so.

They really need to stop with these Brazil cards. The fighters are usually cans that nobody will ever see again. They can't speak english which makes it really hard to make them compelling or interesting. And there are too many goddamn fights.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
They really need to stop with these Brazil cards. The fighters are usually cans that nobody will ever see again. They can't speak english which makes it really hard to make them compelling or interesting. And there are too many goddamn fights.

The two ultimate fighter winners looked all right. The middleweight winner used Sonnen's fight plan to win, and "Junior" should be an average addition to the lowly heavyweight division. Maia looked his age, Thiago is no longer relevant and the main event was a gimme.

I haven't bought a PPV all year and I don't see that changing any time soon.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
i feel bad for malonado cause who the fuck decided to give him this fight.

I feel bad for Miocic for the same reasons. With the added emphasis that he trained for an actual fight and couldn't back out of the replacement fight as it would leave Damien Maia the only "name" on the card.

They really need to dial back these Brazil events to 1 or 2 per year. Unless they have Brazilian vs. Brazilian fights then they're usually just can-crushing spectacles for Brazilians to beat foreign fighters (with hilarious subversions every so often.)

Lazyslob

Banned
I feel bad for Miocic for the same reasons. With the added emphasis that he trained for an actual fight and couldn't back out of the replacement fight as it would leave Damien Maia the only "name" on the card.

They really need to dial back these Brazil events to 1 or 2 per year. Unless they have Brazilian vs. Brazilian fights then they're usually just can-crushing spectacles for Brazilians to beat foreign fighters (with hilarious subversions every so often.)

yea, i think this is a lose lose for miocic. but damn he beat a guy who is a small lhw.

I am fucking tired of MMA for a while now. Today was too much. I think I'm gonna skip the Mighty Mouse PPV altogether and not watch shit until 175

still stoked on mousasi handling munoz. WHEN EVERYONE WAS CALLING HIM OVERRATED. i've always been on dat mousasi bandwagon
This will make him even more overrated.

Munoz is terrible and we've known that since his fight with Okami. His MMA wrestling is absolute garbage.

Mousasi has beaten Ilir Latifi and Mark Munoz in the UFC and in my opinion both those guys suck. So yes he is overrated as far as I'm concerned.

He has a lot to prove in today's middleweight landscape.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine what Dana will be like if Machida beats Weidman and he ends up having to promote Machida/Mousasi 2.

"I'll tell you something, anyone who saw the first fight and wasn't immediately asking for five more rounds is a fucking idiot who doesn't know shit about fighting. These guys are fucking killers. Did you see what they did to Mark Munoz?"

Imagine what Dana will be like if Machida beats Weidman and he ends up having to promote Machida/Mousasi 2.

"I'll tell you something, anyone who saw the first fight and wasn't immediately asking for five more rounds is a fucking idiot who doesn't know shit about fighting. These guys are fucking killers. Did you see what they did to Mark Munoz?"

"Mark Munoz is a fucking stud, and these guys made him look like he belonged in fucking Bellator or something"

Lazyslob

Banned
This will make him even more overrated.

Munoz is terrible

LOL okay. dude is top 10 mw and only got his ass whooped by elite. even better for mousasi considering how dominant he was. munoz got beat by weidman machida and now mousasi. dont act like he's bad because you dont have a solid point

LOL okay. dude is top 10 mw and only got his ass whooped by elite. even better for mousasi considering how dominant he was. munoz got beat by weidman machida and now mousasi. dont act like he's bad because you dont have a solid point
That top 10 ranking was completely undeserved. It's not just who he's lost to but it's how he has lost to them. Only fights he looked good in were vs Kendall Grove (lol) and a rapidly declining Tim Boetsch. As for the Leben win, we now know how bad of a spot Leben was in at that point in his career.

Seriously since the Okami fight Munoz has been a can to me. He's supposed to be this great wrestler and took some of the most embarrassing shots for a takedown that I've ever seen against him.

industrian

The only "names" Munoz has beaten have been MW Maia and Boetsch. And Boetsch's status in the MW division was massively inflated by that comeback against Okami and the contentious decision against Lombard.

Lazyslob

Banned
i just think ufc needs to stop being stupid and putting only brazilian fighters on brazilians cards. shit, goes for any country. i think any country would love to see any big name and not just people native to the country and avoid headliners like moldonaldo. it would avoid this kind of catastrophe

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Cards sucked ass, fuck this sport, etc... but I did enjoy visting nerdchat after a long absence.

Also I just want to make sure this mild fever isn't making me hallucinate but are Sokoudjou and James Thompson seriously on a Bellator card? WTF happened to that company? And why aren't they fighting each other? Go full freak show or go home.

industrian

i just think ufc needs to stop being stupid and putting only brazilian fighters on brazilians cards. shit, goes for any country. i think any country would love to see any big name and not just people native to the country and avoid headliners like moldonaldo. it would avoid this kind of catastrophe

The majority of Brazilian fans only want to see Brazilian fighters win.

Lazyslob

Banned
The majority of Brazilian fans only want to see Brazilian fighters win.

no, not really. i mean it's the brazilian tuf finals so it makes sense but if you think brazilian people only want to see brazilian people fight, well, that's fucking stupid and not true. you really think they would pass up gustaffson fighting jones cause "well, they aint brazilian". uh huh.

industrian

no, not really. i mean it's the brazilian tuf finals so it makes sense but if you think brazilian people only want to see brazilian people fight, well, that's fucking stupid and not true. you really think they would pass up gustaffson fighting jones cause "well, they aint brazilian". uh huh.

I didn't say "fight", I said "win."

No educated fight fan would pass up a fight like Jones/Gus. But there's numerous factors involved here. One being that Brazil has a highly-developed fight scene with high-level fighters (second behind only the USA) so it's not like places like the Germany, the UK or Japan where you're lucky to get one decent high-level fighter as a local draw. The other factor comes down to if fighters like Jones and Gus would want to fight in Brazil, and expose themselves to the visa, travel and tax issues that entails. Most fighters don't like travelling unless they can help it, with champions in particular wanting a marquee venue like Las Vegas or a local venue.

Gotta agree with Brother Industrian here. Traveling long distances sucks for any athlete. It adversely affects performance. This is the primary reason why events in Brazil, Australia, the UK, and now all these Fight Pass cards in foreign countries are comprised mostly of locals. Flying Gus and Jones (for example) to Brazil or Australia would not only affect them negatively but as a result raises the likelihood for a worse fight. And that's before all the monetary issues that Industrian mentioned come up.

The UFC doesn't need to stop loading Brazilian cards with Brazilian fighters. They need to stop airing them internationally and put them on Fight Pass like they do the other smaller shows. Now if they get a card stacked with well known, top performing Brazilians.. THEN air that card internationally. Or even better.. take the best of the best fights from all of their Fight Pass cards and throw them on a non-live internationally broadcast show.

Sure it loses a bit by not being live but at least then they can visually build these unknowns into proper cans stars and we don't have to slog through the crap fights. The "hardcore" will still subscribe to Fight Pass to see every fight while the casual and jaded get a show every 2-3 weeks that's concise and entertaining.

I actually liked that fight. It did get FOTN too

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I am fucking tired of MMA for a while now. Today was too much. I think I'm gonna skip the Mighty Mouse PPV altogether and not watch shit until 175

I think my next UFC card will be LP's EA UFC stream. Can't wait to get the e-fed up and running, brehs!

bone_and_sinew

My sister was making fun of my knees being sharp...I've dropped to 145 pounds, because of this stupid bug. I haven't weighed this low in 10 years :\

industrian

According to my scales I've lost 17lbs this month.

It's amazing what giving up beer and meat can do for you. Whilst the meat thing is purely a financial decision (vegetables & rice is practically free in Taiwan and I'm saving money for going home in September), I'm pretty sure the weight gain I've mentioned before in this thread was due to my body rapidly metabolising beer into fat. Hell, I wasn't even drinking that much, like 40-60oz (1200ml-1800ml) on Fridays and Saturdays just to chill out. But even that figure is like 1000-2000 extra calories I guess...

bone_and_sinew

Watching Payback, friend? I need your strength.

Spacey kills it. Power over money, brah.
I usually don't care about the Emmys but they're going to be fucking stacked this year. The main stars of True Detective, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Kevin Spacey, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other quality dramas with fantastic characters all deserve it.

Top Bottom