• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Takuan

Werdum by 60 second sub.

Werdum by 18 minute KO.

Either works for me.

I love Hunt and would love to see him have the belt, but Werdum takes this pretty easily. I can't see him being dumb enough to stand in Hunt's range and there's no way Werdum doesn't sub him if and when it goes to the ground.

I just wished Jon Jones kept up with that pace. He had a fantastic 2011. He won the belt and defended it twice in one year - no one doubted that he was the best in the division at that point. Gus seems to be the only guy to ever given Jones any trouble at all, save for that brief moment where Vitor Belfort says he could have snapped his arm.

You just made Machida stans very mad. Years from now they will write stories about "The Round That Ryu (almost) Won"

Heel

The prospect of "Mark Hunt, 2014 UFC heavyweight champion" is not something I'll root against.

Freddy stay winnin' in the rear-view, relaxing comfortably and getting his bare ass smacked with a pine branch by his spiritual advisor in the friendly confines of a Stary Oskol sauna my brehs.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Joe Creepy rumored to be out of the fight against Sanchez.

Faaak

ha
B0LNHih.jpg

MjFrancis

You just made Machida stans very mad. Years from now they will write stories about "The Round That Ryu (almost) Won"
There are still Machida stans in 2014?

But seriously, I give him credit for stepping in the ring with Jon Jones at all. 205 is not Machida's weight class, now or ever. He'd be doing alright if Chris Weidman wasn't, you know, better.

He's an interesting fighter in that 90% of the time it's like watching a guy shadowboxing while the other 10% of his time in the Octagon is spent doing crazy awesome shit. Like watching rush hour traffic and you happen to see a car crash.

iddqd

Man... I don't check this thread for a couple of days and 180 went total shit.

Boring pride hurt again, Lauzon out and can't put Sanchez into final retirement...

BUT HEY!
The upcoming PPV has TWO fights that are interesting, totally worth the money.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Ninja Scooter hits it on the head. No one is going to remember champs averaging less than two fights a year.
It's 2014 and people are still saying "War Hunt".

He's 40 years old. He's got a 53% win ratio, and he hasn't dominated shit since 2006. People might as well be saying "War Oilers".

MjFrancis

Hunt is the most interesting HW that fights right now, lol. He lost, what - six in a row and came back to be one of the better HW fighters in the UFC. Everyone loves an underdog.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hunt has also been one of the most if not the most active UFC HW in recent years and he's been putting on some of the best fights in UFC recently.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Hunt has also been one of the most if not the most active UFC HW in recent years and he's been putting on some of the best fights in UFC recently.

Outside of his disappointing first fight with McCorkle he's had nothing but notable fights IMO.

Starting from his walk-off KO of "your eyelid is in your eye" Tuchscherer, his entertaining-yet-sloppy "what were they thinking putting these guys in Denver" gassy-haymaker fest with Rothwell, to his instant zing against Kongo he was consistently entertaining.

His fight against Struve took him up the ladder though. That fight was nothing but entertainment. From the sheer height disparity to the fact that Hunt was attempting submissions on the ground it was a glorious piece of sports entertainment. Then came that KO.

He may have lost the JDS fight, but it's one of the best HW fights in years. Then he followed it up with the Bigfoot fight. Then he did the impossible and put away Roy Nelson.

Hunt will never be the champion, but you have to love the guy for just bringing it.

alr1ght

NOTHING BUT PILLS! “Dolce had me use nothing but Diuretics to cut weight. I sweat-out zero water to make 145 pounds” – Exclusive

BJPENN.COM: How did Mike bring you down to 145 pounds?

BJ: Dolce had me take four different types of diuretics. He did not want me to sweat out a single pound. He put me on four different diuretic pills, had me take them four-times per day, and I did that for a week.

I took Expel, Dandelion Root, UVA Ursi and one more, I forget the name. This was the first time a nutritionist ever offered me diuretics to make weight, in my whole career.

The day before the weigh-in I was at 147 pounds. On that day, I addressed some concerns to Dolce about how I could not carry my bags or walk up any large amount of steps. My heart rate would shoot up and I would feel like fainting, but his approach didn’t change.

He didn’t have me sit in a jacuzzi to sweat, like you usually see him do. All he did was give me pills to suck all the weight out of me, but he didn’t have the knowledge, or the expertise to put the water back in, without an I.V.. (Previously a welterweight and lightweight, Penn walked into the cage at just 148lbs.)

Look how Ronda cut weight. She was 10 pounds over the day before weigh-in. I was only a pound over. He says Ronda didn’t use an IV either, but we cut weight totally different.

Mike Dolce does help a lot fighters, I’m not sitting here saying he’s totally useless. But he has no degree, no formal training, and there are a lot of holes in his game.
boom

Heel

This is the best MMA news in a while. Remember when Victor Gracie escaped the NSAC hearing with a promise from his new best friends?

"I'll give you my definition of reasonable testing going forward from this commissioner's perspective," NAC commissioner Anthony Marnell told Belfort at the hearing, "we're going to drug test you to the day you retire. That's my definition of reasonable. We, in my opinion, should be in and around your career until the day you call it quits."

Oh yeah, about that. Not tested once since.

lol friends heel/grim - what's with The Three Tenors avatars?

Well mak, it's a long story.

Oscar

Man... I don't check this thread for a couple of days and 180 went total shit.

Boring pride hurt again, Lauzon out and can't put Sanchez into final retirement...

BUT HEY!
The upcoming PPV has TWO fights that are interesting, totally worth the money.

Boring as in his personality? Sure.

11 out of 13 wins via TKO is far from boring.

sanchez and cain both off 180. that's what the ufc gets for not going through with the cain vs werdum and pettis vs Melendez co headliner as they originally planned.

Vitor Belfort is an empty shell of a martial artist. I hope he never says the words "honor" and "respect" out loudly...people may laugh at him.

People tend to forget his wreckage during the non testing days of MMA. Yeah he never cared for his opponents.

iddqd

Boring as in his personality? Sure.

11 out of 13 wins via TKO is far from boring.

Yes, I just meant in everything but inside of the cage.

But speaking of personality,
how about Conor McGregor vs. fellow German Dennis Siver.
Not even trying to test him against a wrestler I feel bad for Siver.
It will probably look a loot like the fight against Cerone and good job to the UFC in finding another "easy" striker for "Mystic Mac" McGregor.

VoxPop

Yes, I just meant in everything but inside of the cage.

But speaking of personality,
how about Conor McGregor vs. fellow German Dennis Siver.
Not even trying to test him against a wrestler I feel bad for Siver.
It will probably look a loot like the fight against Cerone and good job to the UFC in finding another "easy" striker for "Mystic Mac" McGregor.

so good. I wonder how Conor managed to get a 100k+/100k+ contract within a few fights

these other scrubs have a lot to learn

iddqd

I love the fact that Conor started shit talking to Siver after the recent 1:1 Soccer game between the nations.
And that Conor's team had REALLY tried to get that Siver fight before that for one of his team mates.

Mannheim's Muscle Midget can not catch a break.

That was a great video. Chad caught the pigeon. That was crazy.

They talked about it on the MMA Beat but Aldo isn't a fight seller.

And of course the notorious one, smh.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I'm tempted to drop some money on Money Mendes tonight. He's gonna be leaving the arena with the belt in an armoured helicopter, brehs.

And then he's going to LnP McGregor to a 50-44. And I will love him for it.

VoxPop

I'm tempted to drop some money on Money Mendes tonight. He's gonna be leaving the arena with the belt in an armoured helicopter, brehs.

And then he's going to LnP McGregor to a 50-44. And I will love him for it.

While a possibility, I just don't see it happening.

While that scrub Barao made a career of crushing cans (minus Faber), Aldo has been steadily beating solid competition (Swanson, Edgar, Faber, KZ, Lamas). He doesn't have Baraos awkward standup and has some leg kicks of death. Also his takedown defense is top notch (grabbing fence or not).

Mendes has been on a tear and knocking chumps out but thats exactly what they were. Chumps.

I see Aldo finishing Mendes again this time. If anything take the Under 4 1/2 rounds on the fight instead of laying your money down on Mendes.

My bets for tonight

Aldo/Mendes Under 4 1/2 rounds

Phil Davis by Decision

Lucas Martins inside the distance

Carlos Diego Ferreria by decision'

Wilson Reis by sub or decision

Not touching the other fights

alr1ght

World Series it is tonight. I can't be arsed to even set my dvr for the prelims. Will probably catch the last two fights if the game is over in time.

Top Bottom