• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MMA-GAF |OT5| Father Time Is Undefeated

Vio-Lence

Banned
It really is about star power though. There haven't been enough compelling fighters to seize the reins from the old guard.

Dana had to sign the 40 year old carcass of Anderdon Silva to a 7 fight deal to try to generate buzz.

No charismatic stars plus Dana's incompetence building and nurturing talent.

Think about this? Which stars did Dana actually cultivate? Maybe GSP and Forrest Griffin, everyone else was pre Zuffa like Chuck, Tito, Randy, etc. From Pride like QRJ, Crocop, Wand, Shogun, Hendo, Nogs. And their biggest draw was Brock from the WWE.

Zuffa got extremely lucky with TUF for the first 3 seasons and rode the fad until the bubble burst.

Game over.

Vio-Lence

Banned
And we got some new guy crying about why this thread aint on topic? Where were you 5 to 7 years ago when we gave a shit, and there was something to actually talk about.

I will try joining nerd chat this weekend for shogun osp. Cya friends.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The fuck happened to this thread?

Historically, the MMA OT has relied on the same 3-4 dudes to keep discussion going. Mainly poly, heel, grim, capt and a few other guys. With poly gone, that's a huge dent there.

Combine this with a lack of events (both meaningful and actual - outside of the Aldo fight there's been a dry spell) and the fact there's generally not a lot happening in the world of MMA as there was a few years ago. Not to mention the obvious decline in quality and notability of the sport as a whole.

I remember the 2 and 3 OTs going by very quickly. This OT seems like it's been going on forever.

Danas trying to find somebody that has a personality and can actually fight to create hype. Aint happening in this sport boiiiiii! Its all about thanking the trainers and boring interactions with boring MMA journalists.

Btw:
Have you guys heard about Magomed Abdusalamov and what happened to him?
The guys a vegetable after 1 boxing match on HBO.

This one takes the cake in terms of long term injury/damage.

industrian

A blood clot in your brain will do that to you.

And while we're on the subject of blood clots, last week I was in-and-out of the emergency room. I was diagnosed with multiple blood clots throughout my lungs on Monday morning, and it got to the point where I could hardly breathe and legit thought I was going to die on Thursday morning. Funnily enough, I've lived in fear of another pulmonary embolism for the last two years - and when I stopped worrying about it two weeks ago this shit happens.

Fortunately I don't have to pay for it this time. The Scottish healthcare system is quite something.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
A blood clot in your brain will do that to you.

And while we're on the subject of blood clots, last week I was in-and-out of the emergency room. I was diagnosed with multiple blood clots throughout my lungs on Monday morning, and it got to the point where I could hardly breathe and legit thought I was going to die on Thursday morning. Funnily enough, I've lived in fear of another pulmonary embolism for the last two years - and when I stopped worrying about it two weeks ago this shit happens.

Fortunately I don't have to pay for it this time. The Scottish healthcare system is quite something.

Well that's no bueno. What caused it?

industrian

Well that's no bueno. What caused it?

Once I'm cleared up I'll be asking them to run every test possible on me to find out why.

But I assume my circulatory system is fucked from my previous clots. Having a family history (mother) of it helps too.

Having it occur every two years since 2010 is a question I want to know why. Will I get another one in 2016?

iddqd

I was also wondering where the thread went. I have to look on page 4 now sometimes.

Let's see in a couple of days, when the UFC releases their 2015 schedule if they have learned anything or if its going to be same crazy bloat as this year.

And industrian, hope that shit gets better!

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing but a pipe dream friend. We've heard for how many years now from Uncle Dana "OMG WE'LL SELLOUT A SOCCER STADIUM WITH _______________" and it's never happened.
I know :( The stadium in question is an indoor/enclosed arena so it's not quite as unbelievable as having an event with one hundred thousand people sitting so far away from the cage that the fighters look like ants, but if/when they do a show there the biggest name will probably be Hector Lombard and the seating will be arranged so the place is at significantly less than capacity. It's fun to dream though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I remember the 2 and 3 OTs going by very quickly. This OT seems like it's been going on forever.

Damn, we are over the 1 year mark with this thread and can probably squeeze out another 3-4 months at the current rate.

Personally, I don't have much to say on MMA these days. The events don't work with my schedule so even on the rare occasion when Uncle Dana and Joe Silver put together a decent card, I can't actually watch it.

iddqd

All finishes so far on the undercard from Australia but I'm torn watching more Assasins Creed Unity clusterfuck streams. Its a car crash I have trouble not looking at.

iddqd

Well, this is a first for me. So many finishes that the pre-card ended 45min too early.

EDIT
Not true, there is still one more to go.

Heel

GLORY back. Is normal.

AdventurousNeatHalcyon.gif

MrSerrels

Top performance by Matthews. Thought it was hilarious that he was doing the "I WANT A TITLE SHOT" motion, then he started screaming about how he wanted his BJJ Black Belt. lol.

industrian

I'll have to pass on watching OSP send Shogun to work at his brother's gas station. I've got an early hospital appointment in the morning.

Heel

B-Hop vs. Kovalev tonight. Looking forward to seeing if The Alien can shock da whirl one more time.

Nerd Chat up?

Top Bottom