• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoodbury

Is it really common for people not to pick up maps? See this in a lot of videos.

With how small the icon of where you are is on the maps they're pretty worthless. I can never see which way I'm facing or where the entry or exits are.

I still pick them up out of habit though when I start in the camp area, lol.

NeoRausch

Edit: hahaaahaha, weird is actually playing nintendoland, wtf holmes?

loool!

it's my birthday, so I can do whatever the fuck I want today!

... also had friends over because of that and I don't think they are to keen on watching me slaying those g-rank monsters.

well... one wanted to see it, but only did a fast offline hunt.

Fistwell

loool!

it's my birthday, so I can do whatever the fuck I want today!

... also had friends over because of that and I don't think they are to keen on watching me slaying those g-rank monsters.

well... one wanted to see it, but only did a fast offline hunt.
Hahaha! Happy birthday bra!

Good hunting tonight. Had some great hunts with Qurupeke, Armin, Edayan and Za_Warudo. Had an epic Event quest run where we killed Narga, Rath, Zinogre plus a bonus Brachy in one run. Got a Rath Ruby from that. Then we finished with a Glacial Agnaktor which netted me 2 Wyvern Stones o_O. The desire sensor must have been malfunctioning. Thanks guys!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
KuGsj.gif

Will add when I get home.

ryz

Can i mix the two different variants of an armor set like i want to and still receive the optimal stats? Or should i try to match a single variant of each armor piece? It's really confusing for me..

Also:

I'm currently testing the longsword and i REALLY like it. I'm using the Cerberus Katana and consider upgrading it to the "Ananta Boneblade", which has Elemental Paralysis? Is element this any good?

Raide

Can i mix the two different variants of an armor set like i want to and still receive the optimal stats? Or should i try to match a single variant of each armor piece? It's really confusing for me..

Also:

Paralysis is always good, especially if you plan to drop barrel bombs and run away giggling.

You mostly have sets of armor but you can mix and match but then you end up with loads of stuff under +10 and it does nothing. In the end it will be a few points here and there + gems that might let you pick another piece to bump another stat. Throw in some lucky charms and you can make a mixed set.

Ken

Getting OHKO despite having 540 defence? ...Yeah no thanks G Rank.

At least you're not a gunner!

Also:

What do you mean by two different variants? You mean parts from different armor sets right, because if so then yes that works? If you mean the gunner and blademaster armor, those parts are incompatible with each other except for the head.

And yeah, mixing and matching is how you get some nice skills.

DaBoss

Getting OHKO despite having 540 defence? ...Yeah no thanks G Rank.

And I'm supposed to face a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus with 453 defense in an arena and then face a Los and Brachy at the same time. Fuck whoever thought this is a good idea.
And I'm gonna do it without G-Rank stuff due to my stubbornness.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
I know I'm still terribly early into the game, but I recently defeated the Great Jaggi Mission. Felt amazing!....

....and then the game blew me away....I went to the normal starting zone (no quest), just to gather materials...then the DDUUNNNN sound effect...a Great Jaggi showed up WTF?? It blew my mind...and then...ANOTHER one showed up.

I <3 this game. Question for you pro players ha ha. I own this on the DS and have a comfortable time with it, but I wonder if the Circle Pad Pro is worth it for this game? Does it really help etc? Thanks for any help!

B00TE

Making a full gunner set just bankrupted me again. And I don't even mind!

Loving the total change in playstyle so far. Been a fun challenge solo. At least Cha-Cha and Kayamba make for good distractions.

Ken

And I'm supposed to face a G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus with 453 defense in an arena and then face a Los and Brachy at the same time. Fuck whoever thought this is a good idea.
And I'm gonna do it without G-Rank stuff due to my stubbornness.

Are they G Rank health too, or just damage? G rank health sounds impossible.

Oh that desire sensor, i've been one rare item away from finishing either one of two armour sets, first set is the Brachydios set that requires just his gem and the other is Jhen Mohran's standard one which of all the rare things in the materials requires but a Rathian Plate.

Now after about 16 Brachydios punch ups in both single player and multiplayer (where of course everyone I played with got the gem) I couldn't abide anymore explosions and decided that the Rathian plate would be infinitely easier to obtain.
OVER 20 RATHIAN LATER! TAILS CUT! HEADS SMASHED! CAPTURE PLANS! FELYNE CARVER SKILLS SOMETIMES ACTIVE! THROUGH LUCKY CAT AND ULTRA LUCKY CAT! FINALLY, FINALLY, it's mine, to think this isn't even as rare as the ruby and that I have 2 or 3 Ratholos plates without even knowing i'd need them which is rather fortunate because i'd hate to be fighting that guy over and over instead.
Granted it also took me 20 plus Zinogre for the Jasper but that chap was blitzed many times in co-op and once again I did not know back then i'd need it but oh boy, the moment I knew i'd need that plate....bloody hell, this is like the one thing I hate about this series.

Now all of i've got to do is harpoon a bunch of fish for big fins, but i'll be damned if I can find those large slow fish that popped up in the early game harpoon tutorial.
Best part about this is i'm an urgent away from G rank so I imagine the armour will be like worthless very soon.

Are there any items, skills, ect you can use to increase rare drops? I've killed/capped Duramboros 20+ times and have 3x as much as I need on just about every mat, but I have yet to get a single Duram Tailbone. I decided to farm for a Rathalos set because I needed a break and I managed the whole thing in a matter of hours.

It's really starting to slow my enjoyment of the game.

teekun

So I knew that online servers for the WiiU were going to be different between Europe and North America until the patched it, so that's fine. But what I didn't know was that even local multiplayer is region locked on the 3DS. What the fuck is the point of that? The North American version even has every European language option, so it's not as if compatibility is an issue here? Thanks, Capcom. Brilliant move.

Raide

I know I'm still terribly early into the game, but I recently defeated the Great Jaggi Mission. Felt amazing!....

....and then the game blew me away....I went to the normal starting zone (no quest), just to gather materials...then the DDUUNNNN sound effect...a Great Jaggi showed up WTF?? It blew my mind...and then...ANOTHER one showed up.

I <3 this game. Question for you pro players ha ha. I own this on the DS and have a comfortable time with it, but I wonder if the Circle Pad Pro is worth it for this game? Does it really help etc? Thanks for any help!

The more monster you kill, the more chances or them showing up when you go for Free Hunt. :p

DaBoss

Are they G Rank health too, or just damage? G rank health sounds impossible.

Ivory Lagiacrus took a long time (~30min), but that could be because I was using the Dios Lance. But I can kill a High-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus in about 10 min.

Los and Brachy aren't G-Rank, they're High-Rank. I can't tell if they got an attack buff though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
New room up if anyone in US feels like helping out! Have to do the HR1 urgent and then HR2 quests/event stuff.

FP3 -> L5

gaf/gaf3

DoubleTap

I'm just 35 hours into the game and I think it's worth it. It makes the swimming sections a lot easier. It also makes the 3DS a LOT more comfortable to hold.

I know the lock on feature works for a lot of folks here but I like to keep an eye on my monster in real time so I keep my right stick oriented to the target and adjust my running direction in real time.

I find the sudden shift of view when locking on disorients me when I'm running.

ihasaflavour

Neo Member
I'm just 35 hours into the game and I think it's worth it. It makes the swimming sections a lot easier. It also makes the 3DS a LOT more comfortable to hold.

I know the lock on feature works for a lot of folks here but I like to keep an eye on my monster in real time so I keep my right stick oriented to the target and adjust my running direction in real time.

I find the sudden shift of view when locking on disorients me when I'm running.

Thank you for the reply. This is what I was thinking as well :)

tengiants

Thank you for the reply. This is what I was thinking as well :)

I ordered the 3ds XL CPP from play-asia (expensive shipping but at least it's fast). It makes the 3ds so much more comfortable to hold in general and I now prefer using it for all my 3ds playing. I can now play for sessions longer than 30 minutes without my pinkies and fourth fingers going numb.

Are there any items, skills, ect you can use to increase rare drops? I've killed/capped Duramboros 20+ times and have 3x as much as I need on just about every mat, but I have yet to get a single Duram Tailbone. I decided to farm for a Rathalos set because I needed a break and I managed the whole thing in a matter of hours.

Are you cutting off his tailbone? There's a couple of stages to it. First it cracks, then it'll come off. You can carve what comes off for a 'highish' (think it's upwards of 70% but don't quote me on that) chance for the tailcase. Also once it's off, you can also mine what's left of the end of his tail when he's tripped and on his side for another chance at the tailcase. Only get one mine opportunity however.

I've never seen it in quest rewards by the way, so it may only be obtainable through the aforementioned.

HaRyu

Unconfirmed Member

Lucky Cat food skill increases the number of drops . Which totally shows up at random, so when it does pop up, use it wisely. Now, this doesn't increase the CHANCES of a particular drop at being what you want, but it increases how many drops you get, so the number of chances increases.

There's also a Super Lucky Cat skill, but I think that only gives you more money, not drops.

Ken

Fate +10 and +15 increase number of rewards at reward screen.

Ridley327

Lucky Cat food skill increases the number of drops . Which totally shows up at random, so when it does pop up, use it wisely. Now, this doesn't increase the CHANCES of a particular drop at being what you want, but it increases how many drops you get, so the number of chances increases.

There's also a Super Lucky Cat skill, but I think that only gives you more money, not drops.

There's three Lucky Cat food skills

-Lucky Cat, which is just what you described, but has a lower chance of happening than
-Ultra Lucky Cat, which tends to reward you more often than Lucky Cat, but is far rarer
-Crazy Lucky Cat, which increases the amount of money you make off a successful quest (does not apply to Account Items)

burgerdog

Any G-Rank gaf on? I need some help killing Lagombi and Wroggi to make a sharpness set. Should only need two runs of supply constraints and bad, white, and blue.

I made a room in 03/09 / halpGAF / 147

Join me if you're free and can help :0!

DaBoss

You guys think Mark of the Hero is tough? How would you compare it to the Dual Rajang arena quest from MHFU? Now that was tough.

I never played MHFU, so I can't say. I did manage to beat Ivory Lagiacrus, and had Azure Rathalos limping. So I guess it would probably be easier than Dual Rajang.

Of course, I'm saying this with me having only High-Rank equipment. It will be easy with G-Rank gear.

Ken

What benefits the most from Attack Up Large? I feel like making the Miralis set since I have a ton of materials for it, but I don't know which weapons the skills on it would be good for. Wouldd rather make Diablos X for Great Sword crit drawing.

I never played MHFU, so I can't say. I did manage to beat Ivory Lagiacrus, and had Azure Rathalos limping. So I guess it would probably be easier than Dual Rajang.

Of course, I'm saying this with me having only High-Rank equipment. It will be easy with G-Rank gear.

I've been reading around that the monsters in MoaH are G Rank? At least that's how it was in previous MH installments with the final village quest (Dual Rajang, Gold and Silver).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom