• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgerdog

her poison backflip is devastating ;__;

and she does this bite that she always directs to the left, but now with pink rathian, it's got FIRE, so the reach on it is incredible with massive damage

i try to avoid both of those things by being on the outside of her right leg at all times, but it's not good for my damage output because, as a hammer, i need to be near her head

and that's the danger zone ;____;

You can try gambling and roll between her legs. You just have to hope she doesn't end up charging or blade kick(tail)ing you!

How are you supposed to do that phase 2 Jhen quest solo?
Tried attacking non stop, ship destroyed.
Tried attacking and using the gong/spear, ship destroyed.
Tried using only ballista and canon with gong/spear, ship destroyed.
And everytime there was about 4 mins. left before the end of the quest.
I guess I'm sticking to online hunts for a while.

Use the weapons on the ship to stop his attacks.
Gong when he's going to fall on the ship, he's going to fall over, then put the anti-dragon bomb in his mouth, and the other two just barelly outside.
Was farming him for Elder dragon blood. Got his set and a Eternal Glyph.

Anyone mind giving me some insight on what armor I should forge [for Great Sword]?

I'm currently on Rank 5 [Low-Rank] in Moga Village, so the really great skills [such as Crit Draw and Sharpness] are unavailable to me.

I currently have the Jaggi and Wroggi Set, along with Chief's Great Sword. I'm currently working towards the Valkyrie Blade, and then, onwards to Sieglinde, so my weapon-choice [at least early-on] is pretty set.

Armor though...I'm really not sure. Honestly, the Jaggi armor [as well as Wroggi for the poison enemies] have served me well, I'm just tired of looking at it. I want something new! I was debating the Lagiacrus armor [if just for the slots and FastCharge/Tenderizer, which I hear are decent]. I should easily be able to slot it with QuickSheathe once I hit High Rank. and Status+ Jewel in it to offset the Status- debuff.

However, I heard that the Diablos/Rathalos armor is great for Great Swords, but I'm having a difficult time discerning why. I can understand at High-Rank, but what makes it so good at Low-Rank? It's got FastCharge, which Lagiacrus has as well, as well as one less slot. Is there anything I'm missing, or should I just grind for the Lagiacrus armor and be done with it?

Sorry for the amount of questions, but I'm feeling kind of lost armor-wise. ~_~
Go online and try to make an early high rank set like the Wroggi set set and upgrade it with stones as well as you can. That will last you awhile. Don't worry about skills so much this early on. Your real focus should be creating a set of 3 or more GSs with varied elemental effects to switch around with. Damage, breaking and flinches and knock downs are the big thing here. If you are hit and running like you should with a GS, offense is where you need to be focused I think

Alchemy

I used low rank Ratholos even well into High Rank. Gem it up for attack up Large and your triple charges will be knockin those mofo's tails off like crazy.

Well I was going to make a set of Barroth armor but it sounds like I should just wait it out until I can make some Ratholos gear.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Definitely if you still have a spot open for it. I think it takes 1 medicine jewel if I remember correctly.

I had an attack up +3 tali so I had plenty of spots to get Attack up Large and gem out that negative skill.

Lucky! I'll have to check my charms but I don't think I have anything that good yet. Best I have so far is Auto-Guard +10, but that only really works when you have Razor Sharp. Otherwise I'm whetstoning all the time. T_T

Kouriozan

Gong when he's going to fall on the ship, he's going to fall over, then put the anti-dragon bomb in his mouth, and the other two just barelly outside.

Ok, thanks, I'll try that next time.

Hoodbury

I made my first complete set: Jaggi (lawl)

Anyway, I still haven't tried online but I really don't know where to start. Don't want to be dead weight even in the Beginner channels...

If you got a full set and you understand what you're doing, you'll be fine. If you still don't feel comfortable, keep going on the moga village quests until you do. Have you beaten Peko yet? He seems like a mini wall for quite a few other new people. See how you do against him.

A good entry point to online might be to have a green sharpness weapon too.

Fistwell

I think you're wasting time analysing something that doesn't need to be analyzed.
KuGsj.gif

Key hint: if I respond to something with only an emoticon, it's usually meant to be taken as a joke.

Edit- Also yes, it was the way he said it.
Still not answering my question.

chrono01

Go online and try to make an early high rank set like the Wroggi set set and upgrade it with stones as well as you can. That will last you awhile. Don't worry about skills so much this early on. Your real focus should be creating a set of 3 or more GSs with varied elemental effects to switch around with. Damage, breaking and finishes are the big thing here. If you are hit and running like you should with a GS, offense is where you need to be focused I think

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I am indeed continuing to Un-Sheathe/Attack/Sheathe/Run. I'm charging to Level 3 at every moment that I can [still getting used to this part], as well as focusing on the tail section [unless I need a specific item from the other areas, or if I've already sliced the tail].

As for Great Swords, which would you recommend [if it's not too much trouble]? I see a lot of talk about High Sieglinde-P, so I'm kind of focused on forging that one closer to completion at every moment I can. I've also heard Anquish-P is great, so I'll likely go for that one too when I can. Lagia Wildfire-P, as well maybe? That would give me Poison, Thunder, and Dragon elements.

But yes, that won't be until [much] later. I have so much farther to go still. :)

Hoodbury

Lucky! I'll have to check my charms but I don't think I have anything that good yet. Best I have so far is Auto-Guard +10, but that only really works when you have Razor Sharp. Otherwise I'm whetstoning all the time. T_T

Ya, just checked again, LR Los armor only has 3 slots so you'd probably need a tali with attack up and use a weapon slot to get both attack up Large and gem out the negative skill.

I didn't get my +3 attack tali until a bit later now that I remember, but I had an attack up +1 tali before that. So I was able to run with AuL with the negative skill for awhile. It's not the worst negative skill though. AuL is pretty dang good for GS users so I'd try to get that before worrying about getting rid of the negative skill.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ya, just checked again, LR Los armor only has 3 slots so you'd probably need a tali with attack up and use a weapon slot to get both attack up Large and gem out the negative skill.

I didn't get my +3 attack tali until a bit later now that I remember, but I had an attack up +1 tali before that. So I was able to run with AuL with the negative skill for awhile. It's not the worst negative skill though. AuL is pretty dang good for GS users so I'd try to get that before worrying about getting rid of the negative skill.

Yeah, sounds like a plan. My only concern is I'll get used to AuL and then I'll make HR armor and it won't be available, and I'll have withdrawals. =/

Lagiacrusty

Neo Member
Having so much fun with this game. I was moving weapon to weapon, trying all the new ones to find one that I would main. I was an avid hammer user in Tri, but this time around I fell in love with the hunting horn. I feel like K.O. just gets delivered a lot faster with the constant back and forth combo and the much more accessible super pound. And although it doesn't feel as outright powerful as the hanmmer, I feel that I can get hunts done quicker with it and have a lot of fun doing them. HUNTING HORNS UNITE!

oh by the way, Is there anything hunting horn related that I can use Lagiacrus Plates or Rathian Plates for. I've got two random Lagi Plates and one Rathian just sitting in my box not being used at all.

Hoodbury

Yeah, sounds like a plan. My only concern is I'll get used to AuL and then I'll make HR armor and it won't be available, and I'll have withdrawals. =/

ya, I actually just did this last night. Finally upgraded to a HR armor set and it didn't have any attack up with it. I gemmed and tallied in attack up small though, but it's still quite a difference stat wise.

Emitan

Going to go back to the mighty Bolt Axe+ (aka "The Rath Killer") because the Red Rook is a bad idea against things that breathe fire...

EDIT: What do Normal and Long mean on gunlances?

Pineconn

EDIT: What do Normal and Long mean on gunlances?

They refer to the ranges of the shellings and the Wyvern's Fire. Also, the number of shellings in the chamber depends on the type. You can have Normal (five), Long (three), and Wide (two). I think the Wide shellings are the strongest, with Long being between Wide and Normal (and Normal obviously being the weakest).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ya, I actually just did this last night. Finally upgraded to a HR armor set and it didn't have any attack up with it. I gemmed and tallied in attack up small though, but it's still quite a difference stat wise.

Worth it, though, I assume?

Tried again, it didn't work.
Managed to break all his parts, used the gong at the right time, attacked like crazy, but still ship destroyed.

Are you using the gong and the Ballista Binder in the first part too?
I think I can only point you to this guide on the wiki.
And explain what I did, in the second part I would go attack his foot until he's near the boat, and use up the ballista I still had then use the Dragonator first to stop his belly drop, to get enough time to use a second time, after it I used the gong to get to be able to use it a second time or third too, and then the ballista binder, and just to stop the belly drop because it does more damage to the ship.
And remember you always can check the ship status on the quest info screen, the was one time I lost with 14 seconds left because I stoped his stone throw instead of the belly drop. ;___;

Ken

Do you guys think its worth it to try and farm rustshards/charms before HR, or not to stress it?

I'd just use the time to get to G rank and then farm charms and shards at G rank volcano instead. You get higher rarity charms and ancient shards.

Hoodbury

Worth it, though, I assume?

Ya, eventually you gotta upgrade you know. The low rank Los was still fine for most but I still have troubles with Lagi in the flooded forest and didn't like getting carted in 2-3 hits from him. I'm only on HR4 too so I'm sure as I get up to 5 and 6 they'll be hitting harder and harder.

My new set has Huge Earplugs and attack up small so it's not a complete loss of offensive skills either that I went to.

dwix

If you got a full set and you understand what you're doing, you'll be fine. If you still don't feel comfortable, keep going on the moga village quests until you do. Have you beaten Peko yet? He seems like a mini wall for quite a few other new people. See how you do against him.

A good entry point to online might be to have a green sharpness weapon too.

I'll second this... Once I got green sharpness and a good understanding of it all, I hopped online. Go into the Beginner channels and just look for HR 1 rooms. Everyone tends to be very helpful and embrace the fact that people are still learning.

I feel like now that I'm in HR 2 it is all business, but that could just be the rooms I've joined. I can't imagine how it is in higher ranks.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ya, eventually you gotta upgrade you know. The low rank Los was still fine for most but I still have troubles with Lagi in the flooded forest and didn't like getting carted in 2-3 hits from him. I'm only on HR4 too so I'm sure as I get up to 5 and 6 they'll be hitting harder and harder.

My new set has Huge Earplugs and attack up small so it's not a complete loss of offensive skills either that I went to.

Erg I wish I had earplug jewels. :(

On Nibelsnarf:

If you lay down bombs and it passes over them with its mouth open, it will eat the bombs.

Sometimes it acts stunned and hangs its mouth open close to the ground giving you an opportunity to attack the open mouth and cut the uvula.

Other times it will act stunned with its mouth open pointing upward and too high to strike. Sheath your weapon for an "A" button prompt to fish it out of the sand.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Nibelsnarf freaks me out. I thought it would just be a sand-Gobul but its eyes are fricking weird and scary.

FlyFaster

As for Great Swords, which would you recommend [if it's not too much trouble]? I see a lot of talk about High Sieglinde-P, s

Over rated weapon. the poison damage isn't worth it at all. What Rank are you now? I'll let you know an actual good weapon you should be using.

In general, status and element is NOT what you are looking for with GS. You want to look for 2 things:

1) Raw damage. Higher the number the better
2) sharpness - the higher the better. blue, then white, then purple.

Element/status comes after that, if even then.

I generally have at least 5 to 6 different GS on hand at any given time and try to use the corresponding elemental weakness for the Monster I'm fighting. But if the right element GS doesn't have as high of sharpness or it like 200 -300 attack less then another weapon, I'll use the higher raw weapon over it.

If you do this you'll see that you are staggering monsters more and killing them quicker. Also skill and eat for Attack. Everything about GS is straight forward, attack, attack, attack.

Do you guys think its worth it to try and farm rustshards/charms before HR, or not to stress it?

wait til HR volcano either on or offline. You'll be getting them WAY more often. Most times 3 per run, usually at least 1.

I still don't know what Nibelsnarf is supposed to be; is he a turtle or something?

Salamander.

Edit: Mostly its a mixture of salamander traits, from the head, eyes, external gills, and body. The only unusual thing added, is the shell-like structure on its back. That actually reminds me of a caterpillar I can't remember the name of.

Did all that and still, ship destroyed within the last two mins. But I didn't know that about the bombs, so next time I'll try that when I'm in the mood for soloing him. Anything else you could miss? He keeps slamming into the ship too often between the gong/ballista loading times. I need two of his gems (earthdragongem or something like that, got 3 out of 5, none in the last few runs though...)

njean777

So if I am having a hard time with the Qurupeco in SP, what should I do? I beat him and have the next quest to capture him, but his call to other bosses is mad annoying. Is Barroth easier in SP? I played with 4 people online and we stopped a lot of the HR 1 quests, but I really would like to complete my armor set for Barroth before I go back to the Qurupeco.

FlyFaster

So if I am having a hard time with the Qurupeco in SP, what should I do? I beat him and have the next quest to capture him, but his call to other bosses is mad annoying. Is Barroth easier in SP? I played with 4 people online and we stopped a lot of the HR 1 quests, but I really would like to complete my armor set for Barroth before I go back to the Qurupeco.

Bring Dung Bombs in multiple monster quests.

Dung + bomb casing = dung bomb.

It makes the monster you throw it at leave. Very handy in the HR when the quests are "unstable".

Dung bombs. Use them on the summoned monsters. I haven't fought Barroth in MP, but he's pretty easy in SP. I keep going back and fighting him because I'm also working on Barroth armor and I've never had any problems.

Did all that and still, ship destroyed within the last two mins. But I didn't know that about the bombs, so next time I'll try that when I'm in the mood for soloing him. Anything else you could miss? He keeps slamming into the ship too often between the gong/ballista loading times. I need two of his gems (earthdragongem or something like that, got 3 out of 5, none in the last few runs though...)

The first time I "beat" him was a time over, the next time I traded mining his back for more attacks on him two back weak points, and I started using the Gong and Ballista Binder in the first part to stop his attacks. Always use the 20 ballista ammo in the blue box. The second part I already explained, then I killed him every time.
Ah...I'm a GS user.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom