• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fistwell

flying out of view completely then coming in with the poison tail slap/air fireball.
Yeah you really want to keep your camera on him when he takes off. If he flies off then that's that. If he curls his tail below himself, he'll do 3 fireballs and come close to the ground, leaving himself open for some tail hits (particularly interesting if you're using a sword). If he does a little wiggly in the air, he's gonna poison-pounce. You can superman-dive out of that with ease so long as you see it coming. He telegraphs most of that stuff, you'll see it coming if you can keep your camera on him.

beje

Banned
Which one is the Jaggi armor set? The one that needs the materials from the Jaggis I kill?

Keep doing the normal missions until they send you to kill a Great Jaggi, once you get some materials from it, that set will be available from the blacksmith. Just make sure you don´t mistake gunner and melee equipment (filter it with the minus button in the list) because armour must match your type of weapon and do that mission a couple more times until you have all the materials and stuff.

I used to run with Jaggi Armor. Got it far - the next upgrade would require Advanced Armor Spheres. I just started getting Armor Sphere Pluses! So now I'm running a Barroth armor and hoping to get Lagi armor... if the option for the waist, legs and head ever become available...

EDIT: Question - how did I end up with a Great Jaggi Head?!

Kyzon

I'm nearing 100 hours I believe (too lazy to look)

Me and some guy just took on Jho. What an intense battle that was @__@ I do not look forward to fighting him Solo.

Bedtime for now, but in the morning I'll be ready for my HR 5 urgent :3

Yeah you really want to keep your camera on him when he takes off. If he flies off then that's that. If he curls his tail below himself, he'll do 3 fireballs and come close to the ground, leaving himself open for some tail hits (particularly interesting if you're using a sword). If he does a little wiggly in the air, he's gonna poison-pounce. You can superman-dive out of that with ease so long as you see it coming. He telegraphs most of that stuff, you'll see it coming if you can keep your camera on him.

I'll keep this in mind. It's turned into a real bastard of a fight. Predominantly, I'm getting hit by the fireballs which are coming from all manner of crazy angles. Its not even trying the trample attack. Pretty much its just swooping, get on the ground and dawdle, I get close, whips its head -> fireball or roar -> fireball

If the plate is as hard to get as it sounds, I don't think I'll be finishing this set any time soon anyway so might as well give up.

Is there any point in grinding for this set in low rank? I'd have to do this all again in high rank right?

If he's really giving you a lot of trouble, try getting the Qurupeco HBG. It's an abnormally strong Pellet HBG for low rank. I forgot my kill times with low rank Rath with it but it's more or less 6 mins with everything but the tail broken. I was farming him for Flame Sacs for my Brothers Flame DS and somehow ended up with 2 Plates I never used or even noticed.

Neki

Keep doing the normal missions until they send you to kill a Great Jaggi, once you get some materials from it, that set will be available from the blacksmith. Just make sure you don´t mistake gunner and melee equipment (filter it with the minus button in the list) because armour must match your type of weapon and do that mission a couple more times until you have all the materials and stuff.

Thanks, appreciate the help!

Fistwell

I'll keep this in mind. It's turned into a real bastard of a fight. Predominantly, I'm getting hit by the fireballs which are coming from all manner of crazy angles. Its not even trying the trample attack. Pretty much its just swooping, get on the ground and dawdle, I get close, whips its head -> fireball or roar -> fireball

If the plate is as hard to get as it sounds, I don't think I'll be finishing this set any time soon anyway so might as well give up.

Is there any point in grinding for this set in low rank? I'd have to do this all again in high rank right?
I see you're going for the head, are you using a hammer? If so I can't really comment on ground patterns, as I mainly LS his tail and wings (and just pop his head on potshots, as opposed to going for the head consistently).

Regarding plate, what's rare on a given tier obviously becomes not-so-rare on the next, meaning you'll get plates in high-rank without trying. (Of course when you'll be drowning in pates you'll be wanting the high-rank set which requires ruby) Note that, however, if you're only missing one armor piece, you can often still jewel yourself up to get most of the set's skills.

On whether to skip los set, I dont know what skills are on it or what other sets you have, but if you're reaching the end of low-rank and you don't particularly feel too squishy on defence, I would tough it out for now and craft easy early high-rank stuff (wroggi, jaggi), which won't take long to make and might last you a while.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just broke down and bought a CPP XL on amazon >.> those prices, arrggghh damn you NOA. I should be able to get this from my local gamestop for $20 but because you're such a failure.... you make it so hard to love you sometimes

Now wath, now that i've dropped $40 on this thing they'll release a new 3DS redesign to be unveiled at this year's E3, complete with the second pad built-in >.> I just know it!

I see you're going for the head, are you using a hammer? If so I can't really comment on ground patterns, as I mainly LS his tail and wings (and just pop his head on potshots, as opposed to going for the head consistently).

Regarding plate, what's rare on a given tier obviously becomes not-so-rare on the next, meaning you'll get plates in high-rank without trying. (Of course when you'll be drowning in pates you'll be wanting the high-rank set which requires ruby) Note that, however, if you're only missing one armor piece, you can often still jewel yourself up to get most of the set's skills.

On whether to skip los set, I dont know what skills are on it or what other sets you have, but if you're reaching the end of low-rank and you don't particularly feel too squishy on defence, I would tough it out for now and craft easy early high-rank stuff (wroggi, jaggi), which won't take long to make and might last you a while.

I use long sword/great sword and occasionally dual blades. My main strategy was to just come in from the side and hit one of its legs or move a little further back and work the tail a bit. Once it starts falling over I work on getting its tail

As far as why I wanted the set, I just dont want to have to use Jaggi anymore. I'm sick of looking at it lol. Rathalos has Attack M and Sharpening I believe so outside of Glutton which is nice, I'd never have to use Jaggi again. I'm just about done with low rank, one more hunt to go then its off to repel/fight Caedeus. Think I'll just stick it out till high rank and work on something there.

Clunker

Yea, it's the purple set with the cool hat. Very easy to make, good skills, only hard part is getting a King's Frill.

And for BBQ the trick is listening to the music, after about a second after it ends the meat will change colour and you have a small window to get a well-done steak.
I'm one of these guys - a newcomer working on a Jaggi set. Only thing I need is a King's Frill (and for some reason the Jaggi chest isn't showing up at blacksmith's, though I'm assuming it will once I actually have a frill). Read some tips online, but I'm unclear; should I be attacking the head straight-on, or the neck from the side? Is a long sword okay for this or should I use a hammer (the 2 weapons I'm swapping between)? And is capturing better for my odds of getting a frill?

I named my 3 farmers: Tuber, Tater & Tomata + I called my pig "Porkins" lolololol

Man I love this game

CE0CEA07-4AB8-40FE-A41A-2340DA88D750-661-00000077ED24CA16.jpg

Ken

I'm one of these guys - a newcomer working on a Jaggi set. Only thing I need is a King's Frill (and for some reason the Jaggi chest isn't showing up at blacksmith's, though I'm assuming it will once I actually have a frill). Read some tips online, but I'm unclear; should I be attacking the head straight-on, or the neck from the side? Is a long sword okay for this or should I use a hammer (the 2 weapons I'm swapping between)? And is capturing better for my odds of getting a frill?

Just hit the red part and you'll be doing damage to the frill.

King's Frill has 66% chance if you break it, independent of if you capture or kill it.

Reknoc

I always attached the head straight on, I also use a long sword. It'll take a while but you'll know when you've done it because he stumble, bits come flying off him and his frill becomes busted. Of course that doesn't mean you'll get the frill since the drop rate is pretty low haha.

But yea it'll show up at the blacksmiths when you get a frill (you'll need 2 I believe for the set).

King's Frill has 66% chance if you break it, independent of if you capture or kill it.

Guess the chance isn't that low :(

ramyeon

Oh man Pink Rathian was no pushover. She was all fine until she started raging, poisoned me and then pinned me against a wall while she charged me over and over again. Still managed to take her down and the Rath Heart armour looks fantastic - those Rathian rubies making me not really want it though lol.

ramyeon

keep throwing tranqs away lol not hitting him
You need to weaken them till they limp, lay a trap to trap it in and then when it's trapped use tranqs. You should generally only need to throw 2. And take your time so you don't waste them, they should be trapped for awhile if they're weak enough.

Fistwell

keep throwing tranqs away lol not hitting him
If you have time, move all the way up in his grill, or to its side, and throw point blank in his direction. NB: it doesn't matter where the tranq hits on his body.

Any GS users know how to get the sideways smash charge animation on the third hit of a sword charge combo? I thought it would be (X X X) but the third charge animation looks no different than the first charge.
Haven't played GS in a while, but ain't you supposed to just press back at the same time?

rugioh

Banned
Any GS users know how to get the sideways smash charge animation on the third hit of a sword charge combo? I thought it would be (X X X) but the third charge animation looks no different than the first charge.

Clunker

I always attached the head straight on, I also use a long sword. It'll take a while but you'll know when you've done it because he stumble, bits come flying off him and his frill becomes busted. Of course that doesn't mean you'll get the frill since the drop rate is pretty low haha.

But yea it'll show up at the blacksmiths when you get a frill (you'll need 2 I believe for the set).

Guess the chance isn't that low :(
Thanks, everyone! My first time trying to farm for a specific item, so let's see how it goes. Also, there's a lot of random hints on the Internet about this: is it true the head can break twice? Doesn't seem like it, but some gamefaqs posts seem to hint at this.

JoV

Royal Ludroth taken down :)

Like pretty much everyone I imagine, found fighting underwater pretty tough, but it does make for a very epic encounter.

Not had a game get a grip on me like this for ages. Can see how people can pour massive numbers of hours into it....

ramyeon

Thanks, everyone! My first time trying to farm for a specific item, so let's see how it goes. Also, there's a lot of random hints on the Internet about this: is it true the head can break twice? Doesn't seem like it, but some gamefaqs posts seem to hint at this.
Nope it only breaks once, King's Frill isn't that rare either so you should have it after a couple of tries. Make sure you're doing it in the quest as well, not free hunting in Moga Woods.

Fistwell

I use long sword/great sword and occasionally dual blades. My main strategy was to just come in from the side and hit one of its legs or move a little further back and work the tail a bit. Once it starts falling over I work on getting its tail.
If using LS og GS, maybe try going after the ass. Some of it will land on the tail, some of it on the legs. It requires more time in some situations to walk around and get there (if he's facing you), but it has the advantage of placing you further away from the face.

Just stating the obvious here, but if getting hit too much, make sure to wait for him to commit to a move, and only then (if you have room and time), go in, land a cple of hits, roll away.

It can be a bit of a war of attrition in the early goings. When he eventually gets hungry, you get ginormous windows to f his s up, ganster-like. As you get more comfortable with his moveset, you'll be able to read him instinctively and just start mauling him right away.

Any tips for Diablos? I fought him online with a few GAF folk last night for the first time. He seems somewhat difficult to get in and hit. Every time I got close, he either swatted me away or headbutt me into submission.
Bring sonic bombs (screamers+gunpowder, screamers from great jaggis, I think wroggis, baggis and maybe qurus as well, it's a "bag" item, gunpowder from fireherb+nitroshroom). Use sonic bomb when he burrows, throw it as the tail is disappearing underground. Be wary that it only works when he's not raging (look for black smoke coming from his mouth to see if it rages). There are 2 indentations in the wall in 8 into which you can climb. If you stand there and he charges, his horns will get stuck in the wall (if he has horns left). The pillar of the stone arc works the same in area 10. Roll away or superman-dive at the last possible instant. Be patient, early on it'll feel like you're barely making any damage. He will get tired and give you opening.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Finally crafted the Lance from the old DLC. Now to finish my Barroth set and start working on HR3 so I can get the new SA. Woo!

Any tips for Diablos? I fought him online with a few GAF folk last night for the first time. He seems somewhat difficult to get in and hit. Every time I got close, he either swatted me away or headbutt me into submission.

Mupod

You don't bring poop? Poop makes all multi-monster things trivial.

Unless it fails 10 times + all the dungbombs that get delivered to the chest don't work either. I recommend trying to get Felyne Dungmaster active for that specific monster, because him and Jho are seriously BFFs in this game.

Finally crafted the Lance from the old DLC. Now to finish my Barroth set and start working on HR3 so I can get the new SA. Woo!

Well, you're using a lance, should be pretty straightforward - get under it and poke/counter/block. Diablos is not vulnerable to attack very often no matter what weapon you're using, but if you use sonic bombs when it's digging AND NOT IN RAGE MODE it'll be open for free hits for a while. A LONG while if it's tired.

The face is not the weak spot, so if you want horns I recommend bombing the head. Before the horns are broken, you can get its horns stuck in certain areas for free hits. Look for pillars and such, make it charge into them.

Been wondering the same thing, but I don't like that charge anyway since it ends the combo. Looks cool, though.

daxy

After the slap, hold forward (or wherever you want to face) and x simultaneously.

@ guy above, it's highest damage attack on GS. If you can pull off both charges it's worth it. The second charge can also topple and you can evade out of the post charge animation to end it quicker.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Well, you're using a lance, should be pretty straightforward - get under it and poke/counter/block. Diablos is not vulnerable to attack very often no matter what weapon you're using, but if you use sonic bombs when it's digging AND NOT IN RAGE MODE it'll be open for free hits for a while. A LONG while if it's tired.

The face is not the weak spot, so if you want horns I recommend bombing the head. Before the horns are broken, you can get its horns stuck in certain areas for free hits. Look for pillars and such, make it charge into them.

I switch between SA and Lance, and I fought him with SA yesterday...Maybe that's why I envision that fight to be so ridiculous. I'll bring along some sonic bombs and some barrel bombs to try and get horn breaks. Thanks for the tips!

beje

Banned
Royal Ludroth taken down :)

Like pretty much everyone I imagine, found fighting underwater pretty tough, but it does make for a very epic encounter.

Not had a game get a grip on me like this for ages. Can see how people can pour massive numbers of hours into it....

I tried doing it solo yesterday with dual blades, but ended up going back in kitty cart for the third time at the 40 minutes mark. Anyway, I guess I managed to do a great deal of damage as I broke his head and neck sponge, and it was constantly fleeing to other areas so I think I was really close.

lol what a mess how I fail at this is funny dude limping went to bed so I go to his den wake him up lay a trap he limps around the trap to exit his den area smh

Nilaul

Well as pretty much everyone knows, the Wii U hasn't been doing great in the sales department, due to the console not having many high profile games. This could finally be coming to an end though as Nintendo of France confirmed that the Wii U sales have tripled due to the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. But that's not all, UK game retailers reveal that the Wii U sales in the UK have increased by 125% since the release of Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I really hope this is the turn around Nintendo needed.

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/monster-hunter-3-has-knocked-up-wii-u-sales-in-europe1
:p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Speaking of the WiiU, how do I get online with my 3DS through my WiiU? I want to be able to play online while my wife watches her TV shows (once off-screen play hits, though...).

ChuckNyce

Just hit the red part and you'll be doing damage to the frill.

Also, just as a note from my personal experience, I was only able to get the Frill to drop while hunting the G. Jaggi in the quest that's given (can't recall the quest name). I killed him maybe 5 times or so by just venturing out into the Moga woods and the frill wouldn't drop. Read online that I had to damage the frill while on the G. Jaggi Hunt quest - Frill dropped for me the first time I went after it.

ChuckNyce

Fantastic news about sales picking up in those regions. I'm really curious to see what happens with the US Wii U sales, especially seeing as how the franchise isn't quite as popular over here. March was a pretty good month for Wii U as far as quality software releases.

Capell

Unconfirmed Member
How do I get Conqueror's Seal?

I did the "Deserted Island Dustup" quest (Hunt 2 Azuros) but didn't get a seal. I killed them offline, does it matter if I actually play with other people or is this item just not a 100% drop?

Hold left when performing the third attack.

Speaking of the WiiU, how do I get online with my 3DS through my WiiU? I want to be able to play online while my wife watches her TV shows (once off-screen play hits, though...).
This is not possible as of yet.

Edit: Or did I miss the relay tool coming out in the USA?

Is the Network relay tool up on the eShop? You'll need a ethernet to USB adaptor though, you download that relay tool to enter the "network mode" for the 3DS to connect to you'll need to pick the lobby etc on the Wii U. Anymore info probs can just read the manual on the Wii U pad.

Edit: Sigh I wanna go online with Euro GAF but my fecking assignments await T_T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom