• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

How do I get Conqueror's Seal?

I did the "Deserted Island Dustup" quest (Hunt 2 Azuros) but didn't get a seal. I killed them offline, does it matter if I actually play with other people or is this item just not a 100% drop?

G rank multiple large monsters. Sweltering Showdown is a common quest to farm for them.

ramyeon

Speaking of the WiiU, how do I get online with my 3DS through my WiiU? I want to be able to play online while my wife watches her TV shows (once off-screen play hits, though...).
Probably easier to wait till the update hits later this month by the looks of it haha.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ick - I have the relay tool, but I'm not going to spend more money to do it. I'll just wait until the off-screen patch hits. Thanks guys.

Ridley327

How do I get Conqueror's Seal?

I did the "Deserted Island Dustup" quest (Hunt 2 Azuros) but didn't get a seal. I killed them offline, does it matter if I actually play with other people or is this item just not a 100% drop?

It's not a 100% drop, but it's more common if you do the more challenging dual monster quests.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Also, just as a note from my personal experience, I was only able to get the Frill to drop while hunting the G. Jaggi in the quest that's given (can't recall the quest name). I killed him maybe 5 times or so by just venturing out into the Moga woods and the frill wouldn't drop. Read online that I had to damage the frill while on the G. Jaggi Hunt quest - Frill dropped for me the first time I went after it.

Yes, it's a Wound Reward, which means you won't get it from carving the body. You'll have to kill him in a quest (although a non-specific Quest, ie, Trap Peco, where G. Jaggi will still appear, will yield Wound Rewards) to get the drop afterward.

Mupod

Is there a "fast" way to generate resource points? I'm at 175 and haven't really been able to farm or send the boats out.

There is a way to get more than you could ever need, but it involves Uragaan so probably not practical for you yet. When you do unlock him, make sure you mine his back when he falls over because the lava nuggets you usually receive are worth TONS of resources.

Early on, Quality Sponges from breaking Royal Ludroth's mane in a quest are worth I think 1000. Plus the Dash Extract from him is ALWAYS useful if you use a weapon like lance, DS, hammers, bow or switchaxe.

If you max out your boats you can get some high valued resource items. I keep getting these large lobstershells worth 1000 that I could also make a crappy hammer out of.

DaBoss

Ceadeus strat is simple

1. Go online, get nice weapon
2. Go offline, beat the living shit out of ceadeus.

You're weak! :p

Whats everyone's playtime so far?
I'm at about 92 hours.

Around 80ish hours when I checked.

Is there a "fast" way to generate resource points? I'm at 175 and haven't really been able to farm or send the boats out.

Capping monsters in Moga Woods is the best and fastest way to do it.

DaBoss

Oh yea, last night when I was playing. I managed to take down Azure Rathalos. I can confirm that they don't have G-Rank health, but they seem to do G-Rank damage.

JoV

I tried doing it solo yesterday with dual blades, but ended up going back in kitty cart for the third time at the 40 minutes mark. Anyway, I guess I managed to do a great deal of damage as I broke his head and neck sponge, and it was constantly fleeing to other areas so I think I was really close.

Yeah, sounds like it was nearly there. I have the Jaggi set, upgraded to level 3 across the board (not sure if I should be upgrading this armour or not but oh well), plus the lupine katana long sword.

Took quite a while because I could never build my combo meter up at all, but got there in the end.

Rize_21

You can also convert monster's part for Moga's points,Royal Ludroth(its mane iirc) and Qurupeco items give between 1 000 and 1 500 points.It's also the case with the others.(Duramboros,Plesioth,...)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There is a way to get more than you could ever need, but it involves Uragaan so probably not practical for you yet. When you do unlock him, make sure you mine his back when he falls over because the lava nuggets you usually receive are worth TONS of resources.

Early on, Quality Sponges from breaking Royal Ludroth's mane in a quest are worth I think 1000. Plus the Dash Extract from him is ALWAYS useful if you use a weapon like lance, DS, hammers, bow or switchaxe.

If you max out your boats you can get some high valued resource items. I keep getting these large lobstershells worth 1000 that I could also make a crappy hammer out of.

I'll have to remember this, thanks.

Speaking of lava chunks, I did a Tavern quest yesterday to slay 20 Bufflangos and there were 2 big lava rocks in the arena. Do they do anything?

Also, thanks for the info from others on resource gathering. I'll just have to go to Moga for a bit and cap some monsters. Once I can farm Uragaan, I'll hopefully be to the point where resources aren't a problem.

Capping monsters in Moga Woods is the best and fastest way to do it.

This. Beat Lagi offline and it will appear in Moga Forest. Get a fire weapon, cap him for 1300 resources in no time at all, and you get a 4-star rare trade item as well.

make sure you mine his back when he falls over because the lava nuggets you usually receive are worth TONS of resources.

Didn't know this, thanks!

Where do you send the boats for that? Hunting/Treasure?

Mondriaan

I'll have to remember this, thanks.

Speaking of lava chunks, I did a Tavern quest yesterday to slay 20 Bufflangos and there were 2 big lava rocks in the arena. Do they do anything?
In the PSP games, there were frequently zones where there were explosive rocks and bullfangos. One semi-amusing thing to do was to get them to charge at you and into those rocks (this tactic also worked on Basarios), which would eventually explode and kill the bullfango. You could explode the rocks yourself by attacking them.

beje

Banned
Yeah, sounds like it was nearly there. I have the Jaggi set, upgraded to level 3 across the board (not sure if I should be upgrading this armour or not but oh well), plus the lupine katana long sword.

Took quite a while because I could never build my combo meter up at all, but got there in the end.

I´ll try again tonight bringing some traps/bombs and farming for megapots. Worst mistake I made was going in there completely unprepared and relying just on the blue chest stuff.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
In the PSP games, there were frequently zones where there were explosive rocks and bullfangos. One semi-amusing thing to do was to get them to charge at you and into those rocks (this tactic also worked on Basarios), which would eventually explode and kill the bullfango. You could explode the rocks yourself by attacking them.

This makes sense - thanks! I was trying to mine it, but nothing happened. I needed to farm their heads for the Lance (Bullfango, not Bufflango? My bad...) and it turned out to be much easier to do HR2 quest vs the event quest.

Mupod

Where do you send the boats for that? Hunting/Treasure?

I want to say fishing in the fourth area that unlocks when your boat is maxed and it's a day where they have 'made some upgrades'. I don't think it's from hunting or treasure.

Does anyone know for sure what has 7* commodities? I was gonna assume Ivory Lagiacrus since Azure Rathalos gave multiple 6*, but Steel Uragaan gave me garbage so I don't wanna waste my time.

I want to say fishing in the fourth area that unlocks when your boat is maxed and it's a day where they have 'made some upgrades'. I don't think it's from hunting or treasure.

Does anyone know for sure what has 7* commodities? I was gonna assume Ivory Lagiacrus since Azure Rathalos gave multiple 6*, but Steel Uragaan gave me garbage so I don't wanna waste my time.

Only Ivory Laggi and Deviljho.

Yaaay so I beat my first rathalos! Barioth is next I guess, is he harder? Because rathalos wasn't too bad at all. Also I'm currently using a rimeblade, should I farm rathalos to make anything good? Or make his armor? Or should I just get to high rank ASAP?

Man, bought the guide and so far it's pretty worthless. It has nice graphs and such but just something like "Velvety Hide" is only listed on a couple monsters, I look at the monsters and It's Fish - Jellyfish ... doesn't tell me where to locate these things though. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.

Kind of wish I didn't waste $15 on this thing.

explodet

Pokemon, and Emi and I will attest.
Every now and then someone jokes about Monster Hunter X Pokemon and we laugh, and then get very scared about how a massive time devourer that would be.

Fought my first Zinogre last night - man, that was a good time. It just raged, and raged, and raged, and then it was dead.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Man, bought the guide and so far it's pretty worthless. It has nice graphs and such but just something like "Velvety Hide" is only listed on a couple monsters, I look at the monsters and It's Fish - Jellyfish ... doesn't tell me where to locate these things though. Unless I'm just reading it wrong.

You can then search "Jellyfish" and it should give you the location.

If you care about drop rates and armor requirements, the guide is a godsend.

Santiako

Hunts Baleful Gigginox, carves 3 times, 3 Pale Extract

LD6CFNZ.gif

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hunts Baleful Gigginox, carves 3 times, 3 Pale Extract

I hate Baleful Gigginox. I need some Paralysis Immunity.

You can then search "Jellyfish" and it should give you the location.

If you care about drop rates and armor requirements, the guide is a godsend.

Nah, the guide does not list location for monsters in that way. Although a few hours into the game, you should know where Jellyfish and Giggis are located. A minor nitpick in an otherwise incredibly helpful guide.

Abandond

You should try doing the lambo arena quest with the bow with the goal that you will try to beat your best time. The quest costs nothing if you fail and doesn't allow any more than one player.

The basic idea here is to experiment with your attacks (the different charge levels and your distance to the enemy) and see what helps cut down on your time to completion.

This is kinda late but does anyone know how to get to the lambo arena quest? Google isnt really coming up with much.

explodet

Yeah, I thought I disliked regular Gigginox, but Baleful Gigginox can die in a fire.

Jade Barroth wasn't too bad though, even with Wroggi armor on.

depths20XX

Hmm, they also drop on those little wormy things, found in the tundra.

I hate Baleful Gigginox. I need some Paralysis Immunity.

Nah, the guide does not list location for monsters in that way. Although a few hours into the game, you should know where Jellyfish and Giggis are located. A minor nitpick in an otherwise incredibly helpful guide.

I love Baleful Giggi. I use bow, so not only can I dodge him like it's nothing (plenty of space to see it coming), but his armor (Which I'm THIS close to completing) is godlike for bow.

DaBoss

I now know that I must get another Brachydios Gem for its long sword if I want to have a chance at beating Mark of a Hero. Hope this time it is easier to get. :S

Apparently I actually have to kill Giggi two more times. Once as Baleful for the armor, and then once for two regular, non + hides for the village. FURRRKKKK.
Anyone wanna kill him two more times? One of the times should be piss easy.

Kouriozan

Failed jhen, again and again. My brachy LS and 650 attack isn't enough apparently. Of course I break all his part and use the gong at the right time.
Ugh, this fight makes me hate this game >.<

Chuckpebble

Any GS users know how to get the sideways smash charge animation on the third hit of a sword charge combo? I thought it would be (X X X) but the third charge animation looks no different than the first charge.

Push the left stick in any direction prior to starting that charge, no input on the left stick is an infinite combo. It has to be performed after doing the "slap" attack. There's two ways to get there:

Charge attack (hold X) -> Slap Attack (X) -> Smash Attack (Push Stick hold X)

Kick Attack (X while Blocking) -> Slap Attack (X) -> Smash Attack (Push Stick hold X)

You can also do the kick attack by pressing the special button on the touch screen or pressing start, but the new way is much better.

Santiako

shock traps are not working for me when I used 2 tranq bombs after trap nothing

need web to make pitfall maybe?

drug meat on a honey eating bear?

I don't know how are you struggling so much with this. Hit the bear until he is about to die, you'll know because he will be limping. Trap him (with either shock or pitfall, no difference), while he is trapped throw two tranq bombs at him, done. It's very easy.

Mupod

Failed jhen, again and again. My brachy LS and 650 attack isn't enough apparently. Of course I break all his part and use the gong at the right time.
Ugh, this fight makes me hate this game >.<

Try a dragon or ice weapon. Make sure you're using the ballista binder and dragonator as well as the gong.

My strategy using only low end gear: get felyne bombardier and optionally the artillery skill. Ignore the ballista shots in the box at the start, but grab the binder and bombs.

Gather 10 ballista shots, use them on whatever (tusk or arm), jump on the back and place two anti dragon bombs on the right tusk. Then do what you can to one of the two weak points on his back before he throws you off (let that happen).

Note: don't bomb the weak spots. Bombs and ballistas do FIXED damage, I'm saying to attack the tusk and such with those because you'll want to break them for drops.

when you climb back in to the ship, grab 10 ballista shots from the chest. Go back up and use them, use the gong or binder to stop his head on charges when he surfaces on the port side. Jump on his tusks when he lowers them and hit the weak spots - they should break by this point. Farcaster back if you don't get thrown off. Take the last 10 ballista shots out.

After this, dragonator him when he charges from the front. This is pretty important so make sure you get it figured out, you didn't specify if you were doing this so just making sure. The correct timing is hitting it after he dives down in front of the boat but before he surfaces.

From here, he'll attack from the starboard side one last time. Use your 10 ballista shots if you haven't, then gather the last 10 from the pile. In this phase I like to try and break his left arm with bombs and ballista shots, if you haven't finished off his back weak points you can do that too. Just make sure you've used all the chest ballista shots and all the ones from the pile. Save a gong or binder for the end of phase 1 because he sometimes charges one last time from the port side.

Phase 2, you get 20 more ballista shots in the pile. Gong him when he tries the big bellyflop attack and he'll fall down letting you get in his mouth and do HUGE damage. He also falls down if you stagger his belly twice, but you can't just stand in front of it and attack. I attack his belly by standing in his armpit.

He'll fall down briefly if you break his tusks, and he'll back up a LOT when his arms get broken. Staggering the belly makes him back up, as does the ballista binder. Of course you'll want to dragonator him early on and again if he's still not dead by the end. Sometimes he'll brain fart and bellyflop over and over while out of range of the boat, which is awesome because the boat will be completely safe whether you did enough damage to kill or not.

If you do all this with a half decent dragon/ice weapon he'll die by 5 minutes remaining. At worst you'll get a repel. If your weapon is really good you can ignore the gimmicks and just attack his arm and tusks instead of firing ballista shots.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
shock traps are not working for me when I used 2 tranq bombs after trap nothing

need web to make pitfall maybe?

drug meat on a honey eating bear?

As has been stated, make sure he's limping, not just drooling with exhaustion. Let him move to a new area if you're worried about killing him. Once he's limping away, he's ready to be caught.

Kouriozan

Failed yet again Jhen, great.
I think I wont be able to do G rank solo before a long time then.
So much fun to waste hours trying to do that key quest.
Here is what I do in phase 2 : attack and break his 2 arms, then he is near the ship so I wait and use gong when he is about to crush it.
He falls, I run in his mouth to place the four bomb. After that I use the spear and keep attacking his arms while waiting to use gong again to attack his mouth.
Repeat that one more time, then, ship destroyed!! Yay! Less than 5 min. left everytime.
Ok, I give up.

Mupod

Failed yet again Jhen, great.
I think I wont be able to do G rank solo before a long time then.
So much fun to waste hours trying to do that key quest.
Here is what I do in phase 2 : attack and break his 2 arms, then he is near the ship so I wait and use gong when he is about to crush it.
He falls, I run in his mouth to place the four bomb. After that I use the spear and keep attacking his arms while waiting to use gong again to attack his mouth.
Repeat that one more time, then, ship destroyed!! Yay! Less than 5 min. left everytime.
Ok, I give up.

Okay, I wrote my wall of text assuming you were doing village jhen or something. Most of it still applies though.

in your case - don't put bombs in the mouth! That's the WORST thing to do. Just attack it, it's his weak spot and he takes massive damage in there. Bombs will do the same damage anywhere, so use them to break a tusk.

second: don't attack the arms in phase 2 if you're failing. His belly takes about twice as much damage and he alternately reels back and falls down when it's staggered. You can hit it without being flopped on if you stand in the right way in his armpit.

persongr

Yous guys are talking about GRank and stuff and I, only today, managed to clear HR2 Quests :p

4 hours straight, I managed to farm Diablos enough with some random players, hunted whatever monsters I and the other guys had left, and then the urgent quest unlocked, and what a fight it was. Not too difficult, but so fun!

insin

Neo Member
Any tips for Diablos? I fought him online with a few GAF folk last night for the first time. He seems somewhat difficult to get in and hit. Every time I got close, he either swatted me away or headbutt me into submission.
Sonic bombs and flashbombs will get you lots of free hits - sonic bomb him when he digs into the ground while not raging, get a couple of combos in (2 triple stabs if you're lancing) and sheath your weapon. When he digs himself out, he hovers briefly, so throw a flash bomb to bring him crashing back down. If you're good with your sonic bombs, that's 10 lots of free hits just on your own.

Ii you're lancing, he's never too bad. Having Guard +1/+2 will let you face his charges and have plenty of time to recover - if you can get him to charge while you stand against a wall, you'll be more likely to get some hits in afterwards. Try to stay under so you can get some stabs in while he tailspins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom