• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how are you struggling so much with this. Hit the bear until he is about to die, you'll know because he will be limping. Trap him (with either shock or pitfall, no difference), while he is trapped throw two tranq bombs at him, done. It's very easy.

I'm too strong I keep killing him but this last time I went with 4 tranqs while trapped did not work o_O

maybe try the hammer now?

yami4ct

Yeah, I thought I disliked regular Gigginox, but Baleful Gigginox can die in a fire.

Jade Barroth wasn't too bad though, even with Wroggi armor on.

I hated regular Giginox my first try. Later, I came back with some Wroggi armor and a fire longsword. Didn't even have to try. Barely even had to dodge attacks. It was actually too easy, haha.

Haven't gotten to Baleful yet, but given it's a more powerful Gigi+Paralyses instead of poison the idea of him terrifies me.

I'm too strong I keep killing him but this last time I went with 4 tranqs while trapped did not work o_O

If you're having that much trouble, you might be able to craft 5 perception gems and slot them in if your armor supports it. You'll need to kill gigis, the leach things, to get the stuff for it IIRC and mine to get some other stuff. It'll give you ability that'll make the monster icon on your map flash when the monster is ready for capture.

Ridley327

I hated regular Giginox my first try. Later, I came back with some Wroggi armor and a fire longsword. Didn't even have to try. Barely even had to dodge attacks. It was actually too easy, haha.

Haven't gotten to Baleful yet, but given it's a more powerful Gigi+Paralyses instead of poison the idea of him terrifies me.

Unlike the regular Gigginox's poison, Baleful's paralysis attacks are very, very easy to avoid. He has more health than a regular Gigginox, but I find that it's a lot easier to fight the subspecies than the regular one.

yami4ct

Unlike the regular Gigginox's poison, Baleful's paralysis attacks are very, very easy to avoid. He has more health than a regular Gigginox, but I find that it's a lot easier to fight the subspecies than the regular one.

Man, than it turns out that Giginox is just a great/freaky design, but not that interesting a fight. That's sort of disappointing.

Mupod

If two tranqs didn't do it, keep hitting him in the trap. Sometimes you can do just enough damage to push him over the capture threshold and you'll get him. Likewise you can 'pre-tranq' before he gets in the trap but they recover very quickly.

G-Rank achieved last night. I guess I did a lot of the key quests when helping people fight monsters for carves. Still rocking Rathian/Rathian Heart armor so I imagine I may get 1-hit in G-Rank (thank goodness for gunlance's shield).

I will miss you Rathian Armor. I felt like the cowardly knight in the monster hunter world.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Any GS users know how to get the sideways smash charge animation on the third hit of a sword charge combo? I thought it would be (X X X) but the third charge animation looks no different than the first charge.

Hold a direction on the left analog stick as you go into it, I believe. I always seem to hold left to do it.

Raide

If people are having issues capturing stuff, they need to get one of the Capture Guru sets and it makes everything easy.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Easier way is to have the GS unsheathed, use the special button (kick button) and then press X and it will do a side smash.

The side smash is the one that has a higher level of "bash" damage, right? I've knocked a few monsters to see stars a few times with that.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Feeling pretty let down by the Chainslaughter Blade long sword (looks like a chainsaw sorta thing). Looks pretty cool but sounds like a damn toy when you swing it.

Damage seems alight, was able to kill a Great Jaggi much faster than before which is nice.

Question: When do you guys decide to get a new set of armor? Do you upgrade your current armor and stick with it until its not good enough anymore, or so you switch sets frequently? I've been rocking the Rhenoplos blademaster set since the 2* quests. Just got to the 4* quests and I'm thinking about forging something new.

P.S Fuck the Gobul

Raide

Feeling pretty let down by the Chainslaughter Blade long sword (looks like a chainsaw sorta thing). Looks pretty cool but sounds like a damn toy when you swing it.

Damage seems alight, was able to kill a Great Jaggi much faster than before which is nice.

Question: When do you guys decide to get a new set of armor? Do you upgrade your current armor and stick with it until its not good enough anymore, or so you switch sets frequently? I've been rocking the Rhenoplos blademaster set since the 2* quests. Just got to the 4* quests and I'm thinking about forging something new.

P.S Fuck the Gobul

I tend to craft a new set when I have the mats for it. :D

Reknoc

Trying a Rathalos for the first time on the bus may not have been the brightest of ideas lol least I learned I can pretty much just get up his bum and he can barely do anything to me.

Raide

Trying a Rathalos for the first time on the bus may not have been the brightest of ideas lol least I learned I can pretty much just get up his bum and he can barely do anything to me.

The back-hop fireball of death really sucks if it catches you, as does the talon poison +fireball to the face combo.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I tend to craft a new set when I have the mats for it. :D
It's been kinda hard to resist doing that so far. Liking the look of that Barroth set.

By the way, what the hell is falling from Barroth when he does his shake attack? With him rolling around in water so much it looks like he is washing himself so I thought maybe it was some gross ass shit, but it sorta looks like rocks too.

Raide

It's been kinda hard to resist doing that so far. Liking the look of that Barroth set.

By the way, what the hell is falling from Barroth when he does his shake attack? With him rolling around in water and stuff it looks like he is washing himself so I thought maybe it was some gross ass shit, but it sorta looks like rocks too.

He covers himself with mud. Get too close and you get covered in it. He basically uses it for defense but once you wear it off (waster attacks) he takes a good amount of Fire damage.

DaBoss

By the way, what the hell is falling from Barroth when he does his shake attack? With him rolling around in water so much it looks like he is washing himself so I thought maybe it was some gross ass shit, but it sorta looks like rocks too.

I make an armor set when I feel like I'm weak, but now that I'm essentially done High-Rank, I just look at what is good and make that armor set.

It's mud.

Infinite

Always carry flash bombs to punish him when he does the high poison talon dive and triple fireball shots in the air. Also when he rages he will do a jump back fire ball so if you're close try attacking next to his talons so you can get hit by them which saved you from the fireball. Also just be patient and block the roar if you're idle

There is a way to get more than you could ever need, but it involves Uragaan so probably not practical for you yet. When you do unlock him, make sure you mine his back when he falls over because the lava nuggets you usually receive are worth TONS of resources.

Early on, Quality Sponges from breaking Royal Ludroth's mane in a quest are worth I think 1000. Plus the Dash Extract from him is ALWAYS useful if you use a weapon like lance, DS, hammers, bow or switchaxe.

If you max out your boats you can get some high valued resource items. I keep getting these large lobstershells worth 1000 that I could also make a crappy hammer out of.
You can loot Uragaan's back when he falls over mid-fight?

500 hours in Tri and I never knew this...

Rize_21

Who exactly drops Elder Dragon Bone?

Jhen, Ceadus (Gold and normal) or Dire Miralis?

Or do all 3 drop it?
It's in the hiddens places when you begin a quest(I've got mines in G-quests),there's a food combo that helps ,but I do not remember the talent's name)

Hoodbury

It's in the hiddens places when you begin a quest(I've got mines in G-quests),there's a food combo that helps ,but I do not remember the talent's name)

There's either a spelling mistake or a misunderstanding going on here. There are two items being talked about it seems:

Dragonbone relics - found in secret areas - Tundra for sure, not sure about the other areas. You always get the secret area if your food skill is Felyne Explorer for High and G-rank quests.
Elder Dragon blood - carve or reward for killing the elder dragons in the game.

super MH noob here:

Why are the number of items I have listed in red or white. Does red mean maximum capacity of that one item that I can carry on my person at any time?

Why can't I buy more than 2 trap tools, or bring more than 1 trap with me on the Capture the Great Jaggi quest? (other than the trap I get from the blue box)

Do tranq bombs stack? I've gotten the great jaggi to drool and limp and then get him in a trap but my tranq bomb does nothing. Does cha-cha attack trapped dudes and "wake" them from their tranq'ed ness?

ugoo18

There's either a spelling mistake or a misunderstanding going on here. There are two items being talked about it seems:

Dragonbone relics - found in secret areas - Tundra for sure, not sure about the other areas. You always get the secret area if your food skill is Felyne Explorer for High and G-rank quests.
Elder Dragon blood - carve or reward for killing the elder dragons in the game.

I meant Elder Dragon Bones. For the Dire Miralis Switch Axe upgrade, 5 are needed.

RobbieNick

I am officially a humongous idiot.

I kept wondering to myself. "How come my little dwarf guy is forging better armor?" Then, I finally noticed the tiny numbers in the corner and realized you have to press to the right. Then, there were a ton of options that opened up for me. @_@ How could I have been so dumb? Now. I have Qurupeco armour and a Barroth helmet. (I look very ummmm festive. Like I'm gonna party in Rio.)

On the plus side, I can honestly say I beat a Barroth wearing only hunter armor.

Raide

super MH noob here:

What's the number of items I have being red or white. Does red mean maximum capacity of that one item that I can carry on my person at any time?

Why can't I buy more than 2 trap tools, or bring more than 1 trap with me on the Capture the Great Jaggi quest? (other than the trap I get from the blue box)

Do tranq bombs stack? I've gotten the great jaggi to drool and limp and then get him in a trap but my tranq bomb does nothing. Does cha-cha attack trapped dudes and "wake" them from their tranq'ed ness?

Yes but you can store more in your hut if you need to. Always prep before a hunt. If its a Gathering Quest then just take the basics and leave yourself plenty of space for loot.

You can Buy and Send to Item Box. That way you can buy loads and make a collection of traps for hunting later.

Drooling = Hugry. You need them limping before a capture. If they drool you can drop various meat to Sleep/Poison/Paralyze them. ChaCha is usually no problems but if you Shock Trap them or Pitfall, then they are stuck and no amount of hitting them in the face will change that. :p Also, tranq bomb in the face. Limping +Trap+2 tranqs does the job.

FINALLY!

this game is full of asshole creatures!

sent dude limping away to the sleep den 4 times

why? First time I cleared all the little dino assholes out, retreated with bear dude kept hitting him slowly one hit at a time since my dual blades kept killing him for hours failing this capture quest (my first experience with this game)

sent him limping back to sleeping den I wait outside to give him time to reach his sleep spot

walk in one sole dino asshole is guarding him facing me
I want to get to him to use Ez Shock Trap

dino asshole turns around does a smash side bump attack on bear dude's butt waking him up!

After hours of failing that pissed me off went after jerk douche ass dino bunghole killing him

now I know I am going to fail if I shred Bear dude up so I love tap attack him again slowly because he is no longer limping

he exist I follow tap tap tap he limps home again

I give him time to reach his sleep spot

walk in later

Again!? Another single douche dino dunghole is looking me dead in the eyes turns runs and chomp chomp bites sleepy dude in the ass waking him up WTF

now I am about to throw my gamepad, I click HOME and walk away get a drink

continue later.

I kill dino asshole for that damn alarm clock chomp

tap tap tap at bear dude, he exit, follow tap tap tap so close to killing this bear and fail again I stop... he limps home

I wait set tranqs on Y button

Ez Shock Trap on gamepad menu ready

I run in this time to beat alarm clock dino asshole but he was not there

I get to bear dude's butt hit ezST shock shock double tap Y = 1 tranq / 2 tranq music plays XD

FUCK THIS GAME!

now I understand why some people spend 800+ hours on a single monhun title

someday I will learn the name of dino asshole and sleepy bear butt if two assholes can trigger a store like this on one run o_O damn I am screwed

I learned a lot from failing I was too aggressive raining dual blade cuts on bear dude for hours
until this final successful run little single taps was an much easier to keep him alive

If you're having that much trouble, you might be able to craft 5 perception gems and slot them in if your armor supports it. You'll need to kill gigis, the leach things, to get the stuff for it IIRC and mine to get some other stuff. It'll give you ability that'll make the monster icon on your map flash when the monster is ready for capture.

speaking of these assholes how do I keep them away? these sneaky dudes keep harassing me they keep me from farming my stones

chrono01

Why did I imagine you having this face while attempting to complete the quest?

0kOSTKm.jpg

But yes, the capture quests can be a pain, especially if you don't bring extras. If you cannot lay the trap down while it sleeps [and instead try to catch it limping away] and another monster gets into it? Anger!

The Lagiacrus capture quest was different. I seriously could not get him to sleep. I had to capture him while he was swimming around [granted, he was badly injured]. I forgot and only had one EZ Shock Trap on me. Thankfully, he did not flee the area after I laid it down and he was past the threshold to be captured. >:)

yami4ct

speaking of these assholes how do I keep them away? these sneaky dudes keep harassing me they keep me from farming my stones

Either hit them with your weapon or, when they bite you, roll away to get them to pop off and then kill them. They don't respawn all that quick, so once you get rid of them you won't see them for awhile.

LOL. Man, that sounds rough. I'm glad to you got it. Later capture quests tend to be easier because the monster health is higher. Accidental kills are the #1 reason to fail a capture quest. Reason #2 is an idiot taking the EZ Shock Trap, using it wrong, and no one else having supplies.

Busaiku

Yeah, that Rathalos (which I thought was Diablos) was easily the most annoying so far (through Low Rank).
I wasted 40 of those 50 minutes just trying to chase it down, and got timed out for it.

At least I know where it goes now.

I should probably start carrying around Psychoserums.

Raide

You can hold a Torch + mine at the same time. They hate the light!

Also, awesome bear story. Capcom have done a great job of making so many jerk monster that love to bump into you at the worst possible moments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom