• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Research charm tables asap. I'm serious.

If you don't you'll wish you did after spending 60+hrs on this game, and will have to decide whether to keep going on a gimped savefile or start again.

Just in case s/he has OCD.
I know this flaw could have made me hate the game / franchise if I found out now at 120+hrs of playing that I won't ever get rustshards nor any chance of cool stuff.

1/1000000th of a chance is better than none

Ok, WTF are you talking about here? I have over 200 hours played and this is the first I've heard of this "charm table." What does that mean?

Maybe exciteshrooms and bomb cases instead of power and armor charms? Pod mentioned spamming farcaster, that sounds like a good idea. I did wihtout (using dios LS and nargaX), but barely just made it.

If anything, you should just get you ass online and help me farm l narga and a lagi. ;)

Sharp+1 is only on G rank armor afaik. So unless you progress online first and then come back to tackle offline, no, probably not.

NB: Boosting you way through low and high rank online takes no time at all w/ a good group. Not sure if you wanna rush through it though, or take your time and enjoy the ride.

It's definitely a G rank skill and not on the normal Helios (Ceadeus) set. At very earliest you can get it from Goldbeard Ceadeus (Solo Port for example).

Gotcha. I must have read the Wiki wrong! As for online, I'm playing with the girl on 3DS' so it may be a bit of a challenge. We're currently working through the HR2 stuff that's why I kind of have to gear up in Offline as much as I can. She's going at her own pace and has about 3* offline level stuff I think with some higher rank stuff here and there. I just got addicted and almost at the 100 hour mark since launch, lol. I said "dang, haven't been this hooked in a game since WoW" and she just looked at me and said "yeah ... ". BUT, she's pretty addicted to, ha! She has almost 60+ hours and she got the game a week after me!

Ok, WTF are you talking about here? I have over 200 hours played and this is the first I've heard of this "charm table." What does that mean?

From my understanding, it's a randomized table that is assigned to your saved game. Some are really good, some are shitty (according to users). There were ways to find out if you were on a specific table, if you download the Ping application (here) there is a Rnd Table (T) button that you can fill in random charms to see what table you have as some charms are available to certain tables while others are not.

I remember there were steps to make sure you had a good table at the beginning requiring fishing and reporting what came back, not sure if that website is up still or not.

Here's a good thread

I'm not even sure if it's something that 'matters' but being a min/maxer from my MMO days I read that thread to find out how to get no T10 which seems to be great all around. Both the girl and I did what is explained in that thread.

From what I've read, 12 + 16 are the ones you can't get Rustshards (whatever they are used for, end game stuff I think).

So with that application, I look at my Charms in-game:
oCZh3iw.jpg

And then input them into the table, I can see I am not on T12, T15, T16, or T17 because that combination of charms isn't on those. (most likely I'm T10 as that's the one I was going for with the directions in that link, plus I've gotten a Rustshard mining in the volcano)

EDIT: Holy shit that iPhone pic is big! Quoted to shrink, lol

Mupod

What's the trick to it if any? I had brought some, got them right in his face when he was flying, but it didnt seem to work.

hell if I know. Maybe they don't work when he's enraged? Best way to do it is to be under him and throw it forward in front of his nose, but that might get you splattered by that thunder claw thing he does.

Chuckpebble

hell if I know. Maybe they don't work when he's enraged? Best way to do it is to be under him and throw it forward in front of his nose, but that might get you splattered by that thunder claw thing he does.

When I fought him in Tri, I only ever used them when he was doing the ice breath thing where he sweeps his head from side to side. It was the easiest way for me to ensure the bomb flashed in front of him. Haven't faced him in this game yet though. Not sure if his moveset has changed much. Used to be, you had to knock him out of the air twice to keep him grounded for a while.

Gotcha. I must have read the Wiki wrong! As for online, I'm playing with the girl on 3DS' so it may be a bit of a challenge. We're currently working through the HR2 stuff that's why I kind of have to gear up in Offline as much as I can. She's going at her own pace and has about 3* offline level stuff I think with some higher rank stuff here and there. I just got addicted and almost at the 100 hour mark since launch, lol. I said "dang, haven't been this hooked in a game since WoW" and she just looked at me and said "yeah ... ". BUT, she's pretty addicted to, ha! She has almost 60+ hours and she got the game a week after me!

From my understanding, it's a randomized table that is assigned to your saved game. Some are really good, some are shitty (according to users). There were ways to find out if you were on a specific table, if you download the Ping application (here) there is a Rnd Table (T) button that you can fill in random charms to see what table you have as some charms are available to certain tables while others are not.

I remember there were steps to make sure you had a good table at the beginning requiring fishing and reporting what came back, not sure if that website is up still or not.

Here's a good thread

I'm not even sure if it's something that 'matters' but being a min/maxer from my MMO days I read that thread to find out how to get no T10 which seems to be great all around. Both the girl and I did what is explained in that thread.

From what I've read, 12 + 16 are the ones you can't get Rustshards (whatever they are used for, end game stuff I think).

So with that application, I look at my Charms in-game:

And then input them into the table, I can see I am not on T12, T15, T16, or T17 because that combination of charms isn't on those. (most likely I'm T10 as that's the one I was going for with the directions in that link, plus I've gotten a Rustshard mining in the volcano)

EDIT: Holy shit that iPhone pic is big! Quoted to shrink, lol

Cool, more useless Windows apps.

Isn't there a web app somewhere? I tried this but it didn't work.

Also if I have a bad charm table I blame the OT. Why the fuck isn't something this important featured in there? I'm going to be furious if I just wasted 200 hours of my life.

Rize_21

Thanks for the advices.
I wouldn't have think of these items otherwise.:)Time to trade some ammos to Captain Argozy!
I like when the Alatreon does his thunder claws attack(x3) because it leaves him open like the Nargacuga when he does his successive jump attack,his paws and tail are reachable for a"good"amount of time.
About the flash bombs...I have some troubles with it too,sometimes it does anything when it explodes close to his head(same thing with the Bracchy),and sometimes it works,weird.

@Festwill:
Nothing against some industrial mass murders!I'll be online around 10:30pm if you're up!
Edit: about the A.Lagiacrus,you guys weren't kidding when you said he was easy,poor thing
,you can activate the Dragonator against him.

Mondriaan

Also if I have a bad charm table I blame the OT. Why the fuck isn't something this important featured in there? I'm going to be furious if I just wasted 200 hours of my life.

There was a small crowd screaming bloody murder about how there shouldn't be anything that could possibly dissuade people from picking up the game. I think charm table information should have been in the OP, though.

ramyeon

Cool, more useless Windows apps.

Isn't there a web app somewhere? I tried this but it didn't work.

Send a fishing boat, post the haul you get and ask somebody else to plug it into the app and tell you your table.

There was a small crowd screaming bloody murder about how there shouldn't be anything that could possibly dissuade people from picking up the game. I think charm table information should have been in the OP, though.

Well they may have just turned me off to Monster Hunters forever. I have T5, which isn't horrible but doesn't have any of the shit I've been looking/hoping for. I didn't realize my entire save file could be permanently gimped behind the scenes. Because why would I realize that. T6 has Handicraft+4 OOO -- are you fucking serious? My current charm is some useless gunner crap with OOO so I can have a measly +2 to Handicraft. Wow.

Fuck this series.

ryz

bad charm table I blame the OT. Why the fuck isn't something this important featured in there? I'm going to be furious if I just wasted 200 hours of my life.

Because it won't destroy your experience with the game. You can happily waste +300 hours before even thinking about maximizing your equipment build and squeeze THE BEST out of your gear with charms. It's nearly not that much of a deal. You would miss out on a couple of super optimized builds in G rank.

Of course it's a totally, bloody stupid idea from capcom, but you will still have fun being on a bad charm table.

Well they may have just turned me off to the series forever. I have T5, which isn't horrible but doesn't have any of the shit I've been looking/hoping for. I didn't realize my entire save file could be permanently gimped behind the scenes. Because why would I realize that. T6 has Handicraft+4 OOO -- are you fucking serious?

Fuck this series.

Cool down, man. You're not even guaranteed to receive such a charm! Could be months before it drops.

ramyeon

Well they may have just turned me off to Monster Hunters forever. I have T5, which isn't horrible but doesn't have any of the shit I've been looking/hoping for. I didn't realize my entire save file could be permanently gimped behind the scenes. Because why would I realize that. T6 has Handicraft+4 OOO -- are you fucking serious? My current charm is some useless gunner crap with OOO so I can have a measly +2 to Handicraft. Wow.

Fuck this series.
Calm down man, as long as you're not in any of the bugged/cursed tables you're fine.

Because it won't destroy your experience with the game. You can happily waste +300 hours before even thinking about maximizing your equipment build and squeeze THE BEST out of your gear with charms.

Are you joking? What else is the point of this game, if not to try and maximize your build? There's literally nothing else there. You kill the same monster over and over again, the only progression is figuring out which equipment lets you kill them faster. I've been searching for the perfect set up since hour one. Now I find out that I'll never be able to achieve it, 200+ hours later. Fuck. That.

I finished every village quest but I still haven't unlocked the ?????? quests at the bottom of the list. Do I need to figure out the Ancient Mask stuff first?

P.S. I'm pissed that I probably didn't have to do that damn exploding powdergem quest. I thought that would unlock more but...no.

ramyeon

Are you joking? What else is the point of this game, if not to try and maximize your build? There's literally nothing else there. You kill the same monster over and over again, the only progression is figuring out which equipment lets you kill them faster. I've been searching for the perfect set up since hour one. Now I find out that I'll never be able to achieve it, 200+ hours later. Fuck. That.
I guess I must be doing it wrong then. Because I was playing the game to have fun, not to have the "perfect set up".

ryz

Are you joking? What else is the point of this game, if not to try and maximize your build? There's literally nothing else there. I've been searching for the perfect set up since hour one. Now I find out that I'll never be able to achieve it, 200+ hours later. Fuck. That.

I'm not joking. I'm on T2, also a "mediocre" table. Nothing will guarantee you that a particular charm ever drops, even if you would be on the "best" table. It's just that it could drop.

I'm not joking. I'm on T2, also a "mediocre" table. Nothing will guarantee you that this charm ever drops, even if you would be on the "best" table.

Right, but I'm guaranteed to never get it on my current table. 0% chance. At least the possibility exists on the other table.

I can't believe this shit. Never in my wildest dreams could I envision such a fucking ridiculous gameplay system. Here I was thinking that a Japanese game might finally be worth something, but NOPE. It's also criminal that there's absolutely zero mention of this in the OP. I feel slightly betrayed, to be honest.

ryz

Right, but I'm guaranteed to never get it on my current table. 0% chance. At least the possibility exists on the other table.

I can't believe this shit. Never in my wildest dreams could I envision such a fucking ridiculous gameplay system. Here I was thinking that a Japanese game might finally be worth something, but NOPE.

I bet there are a gazillion other builds that will achieve the exact same skills you might be looking for in god knows when. Or is there a particular build you're missing out on right now?

ramyeon

I can't believe this shit. Never in my wildest dreams could I envision such a fucking ridiculous gameplay system. Here I was thinking that a Japanese game might finally be worth something, but NOPE. It's also criminal that there's absolutely zero mention of this in the OP. I feel slightly betrayed, to be honest.
There are other ways to go about getting skills than just charms which are completely random anyway. But aside from that what exactly does this have to do with the game being made in Japan? You can't be serious.

I bet there are a gazillion other builds that will achieve the exact same skills you might be looking for in god knows when. Or is there a particular build you're missing out on right now?

My current build is a mix of Helios X/Z:

HG Earplugs
Sharpness+1
Partbreaker
Bombardier (or w/e elemental weapon I'm currently using +10)

With some of the charms from different tables I could swap out some of the Z pieces and retain Sharpness +1, while gaining an additional 5 slots (with 3 being in one piece). That's like an entire new armor skills (probably quick sheath) or elemental attack +15. That is huge. At this point in the game there's not much for me to do but farm more powerful gear. What's my motivation now knowing that I'll never be able to have a build as powerful as what I could get with a different table? The game is basically ruined now. I'm a blademaster on a heavy bowgun table. Ugh.

ramyeon

My current build is a mix of Helios X/Z:

HG Earplugs
Sharpness+1
Partbreaker
Bombardier (or w/e elemental weapon I'm currently using +10)

With some of the charms from different tables I could swap out some of the Z pieces and retain Sharpness +1, while gaining an additional 5 slots (with 3 being in one piece). That's like an entire new armor skills (probably quick sheath) or elemental attack +15. That is huge. At this point in the game there's not much for me to do but farm more powerful gear. What's my motivation now knowing that I'll never be able to have a build as powerful as what I could get with a different table? The game is basically ruined now. I'm a blademaster on a heavy bowgun table. Ugh.
Have fun? I don't know I kind of figured half of the point of this game is skill and knowledge of the monsters your facing as opposed to just grinding armour sets that make you more powerful.

Have fun? I don't know I kind of figured half of the point of this game is skill and knowledge of the monsters your facing as opposed to just grinding armour sets that make you more powerful.

Maybe in the first 50 hours or so, but I've been playing the game for almost 5 times that long now. There's not much meat left here. Luckily the fights are still in engaging due to the animation priority, but they're still only in service of getting new gear. I was planning on playing this game off and on until MH4 came out... now I feel like I never want to turn it back on.

Bamur

Neo Member

Fuck this series.

You are freaking out over 1 handicraft from a charm. There are only 6 charms across 4 tables that allow +6 handicraft. Your table has a +5 handicraft 1 slot charm, how is that ruining your game? If anything it seems like you are more mad that you haven't had any luck with the charms you want to get, and that wouldn't change if you were on a different table.

Table 5 has 24 charms with +5 handicraft. Do some research.

Mondriaan

Maybe in the first 50 hours or so, but I've been playing the game for almost 5 times that long now. There's not much meat left here. Luckily the fights are still in engaging due to the animation priority, but they're still only in service of getting new gear. I was planning on playing this game off and on until MH4 came out... now I feel like I never want to turn it back on.
You should become a bowgunner. They probably have the most fun in the long run.

By fun I mean the most opportunities to shorten quest times via item and ammo load outs.

Mupod

I'm on T10 and my best charm is +3 handicraft, I've also got 240 hours on the game and a lot of that was mining. I don't worry too much about this shit because I know I can make good armor sets without relying on charms anyways.

The only table that seriously gimps you is that one which can't get rusted fragments. Artian X is really, really useful.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Random charms are fun, because it might lead me to using sets / skills I wouldn't consider otherwise. Capcom's decision on these perma-set tables is stupid, but if I play on table 10 for 600 hours and never find a decent Handi charm, I won't have a meltdown.

ryz

Do I really need to fight Uragaans for Agnak S set? Need Lava Nuggets.

The Agnaktor quest also has them as a quest reward, just like Uragaan's. Usually one batch of 4 lava nuggets drop.
Uragaan's back can be mined of course for some extra chance obtaining them. Choose the fight which is more fun to you. (Personally, i love fighting Agnaktor and hate Uragaan)

blackflag

My best charm is + 5 fencing. But it has nothing else.

On that note, I need to farm some charms. Do you guys find it worth it to do explorer and suicide runs or just to. Do harvest?

Mupod

Random charms are fun, because it might lead me to using sets / skills I wouldn't consider otherwise. Capcom's decision on these perma-set tables is stupid, but if I play on table 10 for 600 hours and never find a decent Handi charm, I won't have a meltdown.

kinda funny that my not-quite-as-horrible luck with evade dist charms contributed to me picking up HBG again, which has kept my interest in the game strong. I like to play the game just to play it, but it's much better when I have a defined goal. And there's sooo much you can do with bowguns.

I have Escadora X in my future and oh god that's gonna take forever. Do we have any idea how far off G Alatreon DLC is?

JoeFu

Banned
I'm on table 8 or something but I haven't even looked at what drops I can get from that, nor do I really care.

BTW anybody down to play online? I'll make a room in the usual spot.

vareon

I'm something like 70 hours into this game and I have no idea what a "table" even is. Help!

I'm at 200 hours and I don't really care what table I am (apparently not the cursed one since I got rustshards). No big deal and it won't retroactively destroy the fun you already had.

The first time I fought a Glacial Agnaktor, I was like, "God damn this guy is huge, and it's not even a crown Glacial!" The second time for the online one it was a crown, but it was only a couple inches larger -_- By the way, why don't monster names show up on my guild card size sheet?

Anyway, what do you guys use in your loadout?

• Potions
  • Mega Potions
  • Max Potions(in case I get comboed and cart)
  • Mega Demondrug x1(to offset Long Sword's low damage at the beginning of the quest)
  • Psychoserum(swapped out my fluffy mask for Ultimate with Slime Attack, so good)
  • Energy Drinks
  • Powertalon
  • Armortalon
  • Paintballs
  • Flash Bomb
  • Mega Pickaxes & Bug Nets (gathering rush in the minute after killing the monster!)
  • Whetstones
  • Honey
  • Herb
  • Blue Mushrooms

I completely ignore status effects and heat. I'll bring hot drinks if I remember, though.

Infinite

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";55624952]The first time I fought a Glacial Agnaktor, I was like, "God damn this guy is huge, and it's not even a crown Glacial!" The second time for the online one it was a crown, but it was only a couple inches larger -_- By the way, why don't monster names show up on my guild card size sheet?

Anyway, what do you guys use in your loadout?

• Potions
  • Mega Potions
  • Max Potions(in case I get comboed and cart)
  • Mega Demondrug x1(to offset Long Sword's low damage at the beginning of the quest)
  • Psychoserum(swapped out my fluffy mask for Ultimate with Slime Attack, so good)
  • Energy Drinks
  • Powertalon
  • Armortalon
  • Paintballs
  • Flash Bomb
  • Mega Pickaxes & Bug Nets (gathering rush in the minute after killing the monster!)
  • Whetstones
  • Honey
  • Herb
  • Blue Mushrooms

I completely ignore status effects and heat. I'll bring hot drinks if I remember, though.[/QUOTE]

It varies quest to quest but potions, mega potions, whetstones, and armor and power talons stay in my inventory.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
It depends what set I'm carrying. I use Wide-Range +2 a lot, so that means I end up bringing Seeds, Potions, Nullberries and stuff where I normally wouldn't.

Constants are:
  • Mega Potion
  • Flash Bomb
  • Pitfall Trap
  • Shock Trap
  • Tranqs
  • Whetstones
  • Powercharm
  • Powertalon
  • Armorcharm
  • Armortalon
  • Dung Bomb
  • Farcaster
  • Pickaxe
  • Bug Nets

If I have to bring as much healing stuff as you bring, I'm probably going to end up dying in the fight anyway. Occasionally for some really tough multi monster quests, I'll bring extra potions, Ancient Potion, etc. I tend to not bring meat because most quest will finish before I need to eat and I always get stamina buffing food before the quest. I'm betting I'll be bringing some Mega Dash juices on the tougher G rank missions though.

Willectro

Banned
I caved and picked up the 3DS version and the circle pad pro (I've got a cold and will be spending time on the couch this weekend so I figured why not). I've only played the demo.

Which weapons are good for MH newbies? I'm guessing Sword/Shield and Dual Blades?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I caved and picked up the 3DS version and the circle pad pro (I've got a cold and will be spending time on the couch this weekend so I figured why not). I've only played the demo.

Which weapons are good for MH newbies? I'm guessing Sword/Shield and Dual Blades?

You can throw Long Sword in there as well. Hammer is usable for newcomers (it was my first weapon of choice), although it takes a long while to master it (especially when fighting with other people). I would stay away from Great Sword at first (powerful, slow), Hunting Horn (slow, less damage output than hammer, need to memorize songs) and any sort of Gunner weapon at first. Dual Swords will do a lot more damage than Sword and Shield.. and you're likely to not be blocking much with it anyway.

Anything is usable right away if you go in with the right mind set, but some weapons are definitely more welcoming as you're learning monsters and the game in general.

Willectro

Banned
You can throw Long Sword in there as well. Hammer is usable for newcomers (it was my first weapon of choice), although it takes a long while to master it (especially when fighting with other people). I would stay away from Great Sword at first (powerful, slow), Hunting Horn (slow, less damage output than hammer, need to memorize songs) and any sort of Gunner weapon at first. Dual Swords will do a lot more damage than Sword and Shield.. and you're likely to not be blocking much with it anyway.

Anything is usable right away if you go in with the right mind set, but some weapons are definitely more welcoming as you're learning monsters and the game in general.

Great, thanks for the info.

JoeFu

Banned
I have no idea what that means. =D

What I've been TRYING is to press Start to bring up the menu, then pressing "X," but all that does is flash Cha-Cha's location on the map.

Where is this 'signal A' tap screen? Maybe I removed it when I re-arranged my panels?

Yeah its one of the panels

Schwabe

I have no idea what that means. =D

What I've been TRYING is to press Start to bring up the menu, then pressing "X," but all that does is flash Cha-Cha's location on the map.

Where is this 'signal A' tap screen? Maybe I removed it when I re-arranged my panels?

the purple dot isn't cha-cha O,o

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom