• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBoss

Man, at this point I'm a bit frustrated. G-Rank Ivory Lagiacrus is annoying the heck out of me. It just has a shit ton of HP and does so much damage. A lot more compared to every other monster. Even Black Diablos wasn't this bad.

blackflag

See, there needs to be a PSA about this in the OP. Even if there are spots in your room, if the LOBBY is full then no one can join. There might be 2/4 people in your group, but if the lobby is 100/100 then you're boned. Which is why you should always make games in lobbies with like 40 people tops. That way when people search do I search by monster they can join without issue. Don't you hate it when you search for a particular monster, join a group with 1/4 or 2/4 and still can't join for some reason? It's because the host created the group in a lobby that is now full.

People need to know this! Don't host games in the top lobbies with 90+ people!

Yep I was frustrated to hell last night when searching for diablos and trying to join games. It took forever.

Satch

Banned
oh my god nobody ever brings deodorant to the Steel Uragaan fight so i always end up running around and de-stenching everybody else :lol

Not sure what you mean by SP. If you mean beat the Tanzia (MP) "game", then yes, you will obtain all of the points you have accumulated and you will receive points upon completing more quests in order to level up.
It remembers all the points you gained in single player and multi. When my friend (who's done tons of quests) passed HR 7 Urgent to become 8+ he skipped to HR 60ish. When I (who leeched off people with one set of armor/weapon and did mostly key quests only and once) completed my level 7 urgent and became 8+ I skipped to HR 40.

Mupod

YAAAAAAAAASSS Got both Piercings from Arena!

Now I need Long Fragments oh GOD. :lol

I cleared all my remaining village quests, checking the boats every time and sending them to pirate's tomb w/treasure tracker whenever it came up. I got 1 long fragment. On the upside, only need one more for gunner boots and I long ago made the blademaster ones.

In other news, Alatreon's down. My good old farcaster spam strategies worked fine on him and Mark of a Hero although the latter doesn't let you sleep in the bed to recover, sneaky bastards. Beat both my first try with lots of time to spare but jesus I don't ever want to do that in high rank gear.

For Alatreon I wish I'd found the ballista binder earlier in the damn quest. Seems like he drops his head down more often than he used to but he's still super annoying to fight, I won't mess with him again until I have a decent bowgun to use on him. Escadora X looks really good though so I suppose I should get used to fighting him.

Right now I'm just trying to upgrade my guild card and get some awards...how the hell did I go through the entire game without ever capturing a Lagombi? It's the only thing I haven't caught yet. Hopefully all these tanzia port harvest tours that I didn't do are enough to raise my guild card.

Fewr

I just bought this game because everybody says it's awesome and I liked the demo...

but now I feel like a total n00b, seeing that this thread is 396 pages long.
any starter tips? :p
Research charm tables asap. I'm serious.

If you don't you'll wish you did after spending 60+hrs on this game, and will have to decide whether to keep going on a gimped savefile or start again.

Fewr

I just did the Gigginox + Baleful Gigginox quest.

3 antidotes used, a few mega potions. I am still the king of gigginox hunting.

tengiants

Research charm tables asap. I'm serious.

If you don't you'll wish you did after spending 60+hrs on this game, and will have to decide whether to keep going on a gimped savefile or start again.

It's not that big of a deal starting a new save file at least. This game is interesting because you really pick up on all the subtle monster animations and react appropriately without even thinking about it after awhile, which allows you to fly through the game even with minimal armor sets. Plus, you're always grinding monsters in this game, so what's another?

I cleared all my remaining village quests, checking the boats every time and sending them to pirate's tomb w/treasure tracker whenever it came up. I got 1 long fragment. On the upside, only need one more for gunner boots and I long ago made the blademaster ones.
Ew. But you can save before dispatching a 4 star boat, and reload if you don't get what you are looking for.

What are the requirements? My poor captain's ship is still lvl 1 because of this.
Afraid of the glitch? MH3U shipped with all MH3G JP patches. To get piercings you need to beat every arena quest (rank A or S) with every weapon.

If you are talking about Long Fragments, you need to upgrade your boats to the max and wait until one of them get a temporary upgrade (from 3 to 4 stars), then send them to Pirate's Tomb, preferably with a Treasure Tracker.

Fewr

It's not that big of a deal starting a new save file at least. This game is interesting because you really pick up on all the subtle monster animations and react appropriately without even thinking about it after awhile, which allows you to fly through the game even with minimal armor sets. Plus, you're always grinding monsters in this game, so what's another?

Just in case s/he has OCD.
I know this flaw could have made me hate the game / franchise if I found out now at 120+hrs of playing that I won't ever get rustshards nor any chance of cool stuff.

1/1000000th of a chance is better than none

I just upgraded my Slime hammer to Dios Tailhammer+. Took me 10 mins to do VQ Azure Rathalos.

Man, this weapon is leaps and bounds above the Hidden Breaker+ (also of the same rank). Now I get what so many people are talking about...

L Thammy

Brachydios is the best. I hope that by 4G, all the flagship monsters with have a subspecies and rare species. Imagine a Brachy whose slime and explosions poison you. No rolling that off.

vareon

I'm in the process of cleansing myself from Slime weapons, only using it when I just wanted a quick hunt to farm parts. Since I don't want to make a shitload of elemental weapons (already have Ice), I think I'm just looking for affinity and raw damage or possibly Dragon if I like the look of it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Wroggi S obtained, now for that triple Giggi quest...

Also: Keep the subtitle for OT2 or change it to a new one?

Theres no way to get handicraft/sharpness +1 at about the Caudeus part of offline is there? Just did the quest to scare him off and the wikis say that the armor had handicraft/sharpness +1 but i dont see the skill.

Infinite

They seriously expect you to do Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydois, and Azure Rathalos at the same time? Got damn anyone did this quest yet

They seriously expect you to do Ivory Lagiacrus, Brachydois, and Azure Rathalos at the same time? Got damn anyone did this quest yet

Yeah, it's easy. Smoke Lagi first, give it everything you got. After you done with Lagi, Brachy and Rath wil show up, let Brachy beat the shit out of Rath and finish him off. Now you have to deal with Brachy only and that should be easy enough to finish the quest.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I love the sense of progression in this game despite having no leveling system for the character. The capture Rathian mission seemed fucking fightening a couple of days ago, now that I have a Volvidon set instead of a Jaggi one and more experience using my Great Sword it went down smoothly.

Having two companions helps a lot too I guess.

latent power is crazy awesome, the damage you can do in that 90s is insane, you time it right and I don't know trap or stun the monster and it's a done deal. I just dismantled poor barroth just now, I feel awesome
3AQmK.gif

After 20 lucent nargas finally got a cloudy moonshard, so 20 more lucent nargas to go to complete my armor...

Another one for a weapon :D

Had 2 but I used one to fully upgrade the longsword. With Rath Soul Z I'm getting crits all day. Kind of don't want to switch now. If you haven't got a durambolite I wouldn't mind farming it with you

Rize_21

Alatreon is a fruit salad of
the previous elder dragons,Kirin for the thunder attacks,Teostra/Lunastra for the charge,claw(iirc),tail attacks,and Kushala Daora for the ice breath
hmm...I hope this won't signify that these ones are out in the future.
I have little time to do this quest(doing fine with the lance at the moment),and I read that's he's been pretty nerfed on the MHwiki,but does someone know how many times he roars before dying?it was around 9 or 10 times after half an hour last time I tried(failed the quest,bounced a lot with the lance charges around the volcano's small lakes).
Here's the set+weapon I'm using:
And in the item pouch:

Book of Combos 1,Book of Combos 2,Potion,Mega Potion,Mega Dash Juice,Demondrug,Armorskin,Cool Drink,Max Potion,Ancient Potion,Lifepowder,Powercharm,Powertalon,Armorcharm,Armortalon,Farcaster,Barrel Bomb S x2,Barrel Bomb L x2,Barrel Bomb L+ x2,Whetstone,Honey,Ice Crystal,Scatterfish and Bitterbug(for cold drinks)

Fistwell

Book of Combos 1,Book of Combos 2,Potion,Mega Potion,Mega Dash Juice,Demondrug,Armorskin,Cool Drink,Max Potion,Ancient Potion,Lifepowder,Powercharm,Powertalon,Armorcharm,Armortalon,Farcaster,Barrel Bomb S x2,Barrel Bomb L x2,Barrel Bomb L+ x2,Whetstone,Honey,Ice Crystal,Scatterfish and Bitterbug(for cold drinks)
Maybe exciteshrooms and bomb cases instead of power and armor charms? Pod mentioned spamming farcaster, that sounds like a good idea. I did wihtout (using dios LS and nargaX), but barely just made it.

If anything, you should just get you ass online and help me farm l narga and a lagi. ;)

Sharp+1 is only on G rank armor afaik. So unless you progress online first and then come back to tackle offline, no, probably not.

NB: Boosting you way through low and high rank online takes no time at all w/ a good group. Not sure if you wanna rush through it though, or take your time and enjoy the ride.

taybul

Started the night farming offline low level Duram to go down its path for a hammer, ended the night online fighting dual G rank Durams, one regular, the other rust, in the arena. Man what a fight. Having a HH user in your group is pretty awesome.

Mupod

Are the Artian X parts any good? Do you guys use it?

The blademaster boots are godlike, just look at em. Dunno about the rest, haven't had any reason to make it.

The entire gunner set is awesome for LBG. It's got all the essential skills and leaves you two equipment slots to slap on pellet/elemental/status/whatever depending what you're doing.

Of course it's a huge pain in the ass to make, unless you've been sending your boat guys to treasure areas every time. And it doesn't always match armor sets since you can't change the color of the metal bits, only the 'gears'. And of course since it's only a 3 piece set you're going to need to do some experimentation rather than just make the set and forget it.

Mupod

Alatreon is a fruit salad of
the previous elder dragons,Kirin for the thunder attacks,Teostra/Lunastra for the charge,claw(iirc),tail attacks,and Kushala Daora for the ice breath
hmm...I hope this won't signify that these ones are out in the future.
I have little time to do this quest(doing fine with the lance at the moment),and I read that's he's been pretty nerfed on the MHwiki,but does someone know how many times he roars before dying?it was around 9 or 10 times after half an hour last time I tried(failed the quest,bounced a lot with the lance charges around the volcano's small lakes).
Here's the set+weapon I'm using:

And in the item pouch:

I really hate his quick horn swipe and lightning call.

Bring flashbombs. You can knock him out of the air with them, and he flies around a lot. The Ballista Binder can bring him down but it's not always there...and flashbombs work better anyways, if you can land em.

I brought 20 bomb casings, 5 flashbombs, 10 flashbugs and 10 exciteshrooms. This way I can spam flashbombs AND combine extra farcasters. Farcasters are great because there's a bed up at the camp you can rest in to recover hp/status, and of course you can safely sharpen etc. The best thing about resting is it revives/heals the shakalakas too.

Also brought materials for extra max potions. Really helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom