• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackflag

Awww yeah. Finally got a Hard Horn last night after a couple days of farming.

Was in some really horrible groups yesterday. How does someone over HR 100 cart 3 times to Diablo.... I fought Diablos and Black Diablos like 30 times in the last couple days and only carted once because of a stupid mistake that got me triple charged.

Oh well, back to the grind tonight. I still need 1 more hard horn.

Raide

Jesus capturing still seems impossible. I have the damn armor that lets me see when they're cappable, I lay the trap, hit Peco with two tranq bombs and he still breaks free. It worked just fine when I tried it last time! Is there an element of random chance in this as well? 0.2% chance of trap actually working, some bullshit like that?

As long as they limp away, follow them to their next area and get them to sleep. Lay trap right on them and tranq them right in the face. Works every time. Just wait for them to sleep to make it so much easier, since if you don't they tend to enrage.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
You can whack a monster while he's trapped? I'm always worried about accidentally killing them

Also I don't like running around wasting time doing nothing while waiting for the AI to stumble on the "go sleep due to injuries" routine :/

Raide

You can whack a monster while he's trapped? I'm always worried about accidentally killing them

Also I don't like running around wasting time doing nothing while waiting for the AI to stumble on the "go sleep due to injuries" routine :/

Asleep = No whack.
Trapped = You have a certain number of whacks before they pop out.

If you find the path each monster takes, you can lay the trap before they have change to escape. That usually gives me issues since I drop it, they run off and I have no more traps. I always play it safe by chasing them for a minute or two as they go to sleep.

so i'm trying to make the Jinouga armor and each one I fight gets progressively bigger, it's hilarious as I even go to the kitchen and get the weakener skill but the Zinogre that i fight after that records as the biggest yet
KuGsj.gif

It's so weird. I'm probably going to have to fight him a few times more and at this rate I might fight the longest one in the game .

I SERIOUSLY agree with you on capturing peco. That fucker always breaks my tranqs. =|

He's the reason I asked about Perception in the first place!

Quick question regarding HR level.

I see the quests and such in the Village are up to HR 9 or something, but then I see people saying "I'm HR 27" or something for online. Do the quests just keep going and going for online (or rather local MP since I play on the 3DS).

Can anybody kind of explain that?

DaBoss

Quick question regarding HR level.

I see the quests and such in the Village are up to HR 9 or something, but then I see people saying "I'm HR 27" or something for online. Do the quests just keep going and going for online (or rather local MP since I play on the 3DS).

Can anybody kind of explain that?

There is no HR in the Village. For Tanzia HR, once you beat the "final boss monster", your HR is "unlocked" and will now use Hunter Rank Points which are accumulated upon completing quests at Tanzia.

There is no HR in the Village. For Tanzia HR, once you beat the "final boss monster", your HR is "unlocked" and will now use Hunter Rank Points which are accumulated upon completing quests at Tanzia.

Interesting. So when my guild card says HR2, is that just because I am at the 2* quests in MP? Once I "beat the SP game" it will start accumulating by points which are received upon completion of quests in MP?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Want: Luminous Organ. 0 in 4 fights. But some how.. I end up with 4 Dark Dragon Gems and 1 Deep Dragon Gem. dat desire sensor?

Want: Luminous Organ. 0 in 4 fights. But some how.. I end up with 4 Dark Dragon Gems and 1 Deep Dragon Gem. dat desire sensor?

haha same thing happened to me, I needed Electrofurs from Zinogre and was planning on getting the Jasper(which is more rare) later but 5 fights so far and no furs but 2 jaspers?

does not compute, Capcom... Does not compute.

L Thammy

Repeatign for new page: the packet relay tools appears on the Wii U eShop. Haven't downloaded them to try them out (no 3DS version), but there's a download button.

Korosenai

Which rank GGnox? What move are you getting hit by?

It was the one you fight in the 4 star quests. Finally beat him this morning using my Qurupeco Switch Axe (I forgot what it's called, maybe Pescopander? but it does fire damage). I stocked up on antidotes and it was pretty easy. Didn't know what to do when it turned black though, just pretty much ran around and avoided it's attacks.

Repeatign for new page: the packet relay tools appears on the Wii U eShop. Haven't downloaded them to try them out (no 3DS version), but there's a download button.

You have to have a Wii U lan cable to use it.

Kaji

simple question: was it in the top quest box or the bottom break/capture box? Because if that's the only place you can get it as a quest reward, that'd be the only explanation for people reporting it as a superior source for hardhorns.

I'm not sure if this was already covered but the Sand Barioth + Black Diablos quest is the only quest which can have hard horns as quest reward.

DaBoss

Interesting. So when my guild card says HR2, is that just because I am at the 2* quests in MP? Once I "beat the SP game" it will start accumulating by points which are received upon completion of quests in MP?

Not sure what you mean by SP. If you mean beat the Tanzia (MP) "game", then yes, you will obtain all of the points you have accumulated and you will receive points upon completing more quests in order to level up.

explodet

It was the one you fight in the 4 star quests. Finally beat him this morning using my Qurupeco Switch Axe (I forgot what it's called, maybe Pescopander? but it does fire damage). I stocked up on antidotes and it was pretty easy. Didn't know what to do when it turned black though, just pretty much ran around and avoided it's attacks.
When it rages and turns dark, its head is less vulnerable to attack but its tail is more vulnerable. So if you find your attacks bouncing at its head when it's raging you can switch to its tail and do more damage there.

BTW, just when I thought Gigginox couldn't get any less appealing, they throw G rank Giggi at me. Blech. That was thoroughly unpleasant. I actually prefer Baleful Giggi at G.

DaBoss

When it rages and turns dark, its head is less vulnerable to attack but its tail is more vulnerable. So if you find your attacks bouncing at its head when it's raging you can switch to its tail and do more damage there.

BTW, just when I thought Gigginox couldn't get any less appealing, they throw G rank Giggi at me. Blech. That was thoroughly unpleasant. I actually prefer Baleful Giggi at G.

Nope, both are the worst monsters in the game for me. Not even Negate Poison or Negate Paralysis will help with their annoyance.

Korosenai

Ok that makes sense. I still would have probably just ran around though because it moves too fast and is way too agressive to do much against it.

Insaniac

Hey guys, I'm a veteran to Monster Hunter games, but new to Tri Ultimate, and there's a lot of new content vs original Tri, so I was wondering some stuff:

So far I've found the Jaggi Armor to be sufficient for now (beat Gobul, doing 4 star quests now) but I'm curious as to what other low rank armor sets are worth crafting. I used to like the Alloy set in Tri for the Crit/Affinity bonus, Barroth looks decent too with defense and attack boost. Just curious to hear some of your opinions because I've skipped doing much monster farming for now (to get new armor) and have just been going on Jaggi armor alone.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Hey guys, I'm a veteran to Monster Hunter games, but new to Tri Ultimate, and there's a lot of new content vs original Tri, so I was wondering some stuff:

So far I've found the Jaggi Armor to be sufficient for now (beat Gobul, doing 4 star quests now) but I'm curious as to what other low rank armor sets are worth crafting. I used to like the Alloy set in Tri for the Crit/Affinity bonus, Barroth looks decent too with defense and attack boost. Just curious to hear some of your opinions because I've skipped doing much monster farming for now (to get new armor) and have just been going on Jaggi armor alone.

It really depends on what weapon you're using and how much time you're going to spend in Low Rank. You probably don't want to farm something like Rathian for a Plate, or Gigginox for Maws, but if you get one to drop, go for it. That said, Wroggi armour is pretty handy with Sharpness and Status+. Also it makes you look like a cowboy and should only take you a few Wroggis to complete the set. Works well with most weapons in that regard. Rhenoplos armour was a favourite of mine prior to G rank because it's so simple to make and provided me with some decent Hammer skills early on.

Since you're a vet, the Jaggi armour will be more than enough to carry you through LR. Just wait till HR before spending time making another armour.

I pretty much had 1 armour for all of LR (Wroggi)
1 armour for all of HR (Wroggi again, HR version)
And only now at G - Rank am I making a couple of different armour sets.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Barroth isn't bad and it's easy to farm, but be careful because stamina will drain pretty quickly. I'm using Durambros and I like the bulky-ness it has. Thinking of switching Lagiacrus though.

Insaniac

Barroth isn't bad and it's easy to farm, but be careful because stamina will drain pretty quickly. I'm using Durambros and I like the bulky-ness it has. Thinking of switching Lagiacrus though.

wait, does armor affect your stamina drain? This is new to me

also to other people: Thanks I will definitely farm Wroggi, Sharpness sounds good, and I enjoy using paralysis weapons. I'm using a switch axe with Exhaust Phial, is that affected by Status attack up?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

also to other people: Thanks I will definitely farm Wroggi, Sharpness sounds good, and I enjoy using paralysis weapons. I'm using a switch axe with Exhaust Phial, is that affected by Status attack up?

The Barroth armor has the hunger ability which drains your stamina more than usual. I used it for a while and it's really not that bad. You just actually need to eat the rations they give you is all.

Wroggi is definitely worth it, makes the poison fights so much easier.

DaBoss

The Barroth set has the Hunger skill, so stamina will go down faster.

As for your second question, I'm not sure.

EDIT: Beaten.

EDIT2: Searched around, and the answer seems to be a yes to your second question.

Insaniac

The Barroth set has the Hunger skill, so stamina will go down faster.

As for your second question, I'm not sure.

EDIT: Beaten.

EDIT2: Searched around, and the answer seems to be a yes to your second question.

It seems there is an ability called 'Stamina Drain / Stamina Thief' which is similar to KO King, so I don't think status attack up affects exhaust phial

DaBoss

Man, I want to head over to Capcom and make this inventory management much more easier.

Welp....Argosy Captain is still gone. maybe I have to beat the Jhen Mohran repel quest first? Is that required?

I thought you completed all of the quests?

It seems there is an ability called 'Stamina Drain / Stamina Thief' which is similar to KO King, so I don't think status attack up affects exhaust phial

Oh OK.

Since you're a veteran, no worries there. I'm a veteran too, and I went from Jaggi armor to Rathalos armor, to Rathalos S to Rath Soul. Just remember to fully upgrade them so you can stand the damage from the higher ranked mobs.

Ultratech

Was doing some reading earlier and didn't realize Poison has definitely changed a bit for this game.

Apparently, you can still build up Poison on a monster while it's Poisoned. (In the old games, it stopped building up while they were Poisoned.)

Makes that Gigginox SnS very tempting now. Or at least it'd be super awesome against Uragaan and Deviljho (who is surprisingly weak to Poison in this game; it barely did crap to Jho in Tri).

At least it makes it to where you could have a very high upkeep on something being Poisoned.

Also makes for some lulz since you can poison Dire Miralis.
(Dunno how effective it actually is, but it does work, I know that much.)

We have two free spots right now

See, there needs to be a PSA about this in the OP. Even if there are spots in your room, if the LOBBY is full then no one can join. There might be 2/4 people in your group, but if the lobby is 100/100 then you're boned. Which is why you should always make games in lobbies with like 40 people tops. That way when people search do I search by monster they can join without issue. Don't you hate it when you search for a particular monster, join a group with 1/4 or 2/4 and still can't join for some reason? It's because the host created the group in a lobby that is now full.

People need to know this! Don't host games in the top lobbies with 90+ people!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom