• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jercruz

Will these tables eventually be patched? I guess I am asking if this is a real 'bug' or is it by design? Great explanation, btw. Thanks.

Is it by design? I don't know. Part of me thinks so. Its like EV/IV training in Pokemon, you don't see the numbers and you have to count it mentally, but it was intentionally put there.

Capgods said that if it gets too bothersome they can patch it.

demigod

That is one badass gif/intro. Getting both versions, can't effing wait!!!

Once again, NoA shows how shitty they are by not giving us a bundle. Really hope they have the XL Circle Pad Pro here, don't feel like paying $40 to Play-asia for it.

must ignore charm tables MUST IGNORE CHARM TABLES

also: im trying to learn the sword and i noticed ive had to sharpen it twice every time i fight lagombi. i only need to sharpen my switch axe once. any reason why that is?
Sharpness degrades per attack, and the SnS attacks very fast.

also: im trying to learn the sword and i noticed ive had to sharpen it twice every time i fight lagombi. i only need to sharpen my switch axe once. any reason why that is?
I think it's because it's a faster weapons so you're getting out many more attacks from it so faster dulling.
Additionally, different weapons have different sharpness levels. Some weapons have longer bars of a particular color.

Is it by design? I don't know. Part of me thinks so. Its like EV/IV training in Pokemon, you don't see the numbers and you have to count it mentally, but it was intentionally put there.

Capgods said that if it gets too bothersome they can patch it.
Seems like the locking of tables to a save file is intentional. The "cursed" tables are probably not intentional. Hoping they patch it but it's weird that the JPN players didn't raise enough stink about it to get it patched.

Filth

must ignore charm tables MUST IGNORE CHARM TABLES

long sword or great sword?

Mondriaan

When you start a 'New Game', you are assigned a table that indicates what kind of charms you can get. there are lots of tables available. capcom probably did this so that different players can get different charms.

Its a one-off thing, once you begin you can never change what table you were assigned. how can you, when it is internal and invisible to you.

now, in theory its should be all fine and dandy. regardless of what table you get assigned, it shouldn't matter... BUT it seems that there are tables that are buggy. "cursed" is just a fancy way of saying it.

basically these "cursed" tables have poor charm selections and some will not give you minerals (that you mine) needed to forge special armours and/or weapons.

so basically these "cursed" tables can handicap your playing experience and the only way to get around it is to start a 'New Game'. annoying when you have poured hundreds of hours in the game.
These tables existed in MHP 3rd, but the difference is that you would be assigned a different table every time you started a new gaming session, so it seems like it wasn't intentional. There is no reason for "cursed" tables otherwise.

Cursed tables make more sense from the perspective of giving players long lucky/unlucky streaks.

These tables existed in MHP 3rd, but the difference is that you would be assigned a different table every time you started a new gaming session, so it seems like it wasn't intentional. There is no reason for "cursed" tables.

How do we know about these cursed tables?
I hear that no one is sure if there is more than 12 tables.

Volodja

Ready to get the 3DS version at launch, I've only ever played the PSP games in single player anyway.
However I can't say I look forward to fighting monsters underwater after trying it in the demo.
Granted, it was a Plesioth fight so it was already doomed from the start.

jercruz

How do we know about these cursed tables?
I hear that no one is sure if there is more than 12 tables.

Based on Athena's tool, there are 17 tables. Tables 11, 12, 15, 16 and 17 are "cursed".

Also from Athena's tool

There are two different ways to find out which charm table you have been assigned.

The first way is to analyze the charms you have found. This requires you to have played the game long enough to have accumulated at the very least a few dozen charms.

And finally, you can find the tools itself HERE. I recommend downloading the tool and looking at the "Help > FAQ" area. All information regarding these "cursed" tables and more can be found there!

Yeah, online is pretty much the only reason I'm even considering a Wii U. But $300 for online play seems a bit much for me. Guess I'll find out what happens when I'm standing in line for the game Tuesday.

By the way, how painless is save transferring? Is it something I can do quickly on a daily basis without feeling like it's the worst thing ever?

I would like to know about the transferring myself. I plan on getting both and plan to do the transfer everytime I leave the house.

jercruz

Cursed tables make more sense from the perspective of giving players long lucky/unlucky streaks.

I like this, so on some days you are "cursed" and get bad charms and maybe no rusties. On a good day you can get a god-charm. Instead of being unlucky forever.

I know this is off topic, but i have been in a time sink hole at the monster hunter wikia page and reading about Frontier has made me curious and fascinated.

What are the current player numbers for that game in asia? I realize many of the 'new' monster use very similar animations to old one, but the shear number of them at this point surprise me. Have thy done interviews about why they keep them exclusive to frontier?

deviljho

Thanks, means a lot coming from you. :)

OP is the man. It's time to party!

CIUBfjZ.jpg

Eyothrie

I strongly recommend trying the demo a few times before purchase, just to make sure you are ok with its mechanics.

It was fun. I had problems with the camera at first, but once I realized that I could center the camera on the monster by pressing the target icon on the gamepad, it was all good.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
First monster hunter game for me and I am ready! Do y'all think I'll need a pro controller or will most of you be using the wii u game pad?

I'm excited but I'm not sure how to put it other than that. That title card gets me more hyped than anything though which is odd as its a new series for me.

Personally I think the thing I'll like the most is all the bigger monster types. Even within the demo, Mr. Snow Bunny didn't get tiring due to the weapons making it different enough to fight each time.

If I can expect that quality across the game, it's going to last me a long time.

Peru

I'll be going 3DS only for a loooooong time. At least through this year. So I'll be talking trash and cursing monsters along with everyone in this thread, but no hunting together for now I'm afraid.

Personally I think the thing I'll like the most is all the bigger monster types. Even within the demo, Mr. Snow Bunny didn't get tiring due to the weapons making it different enough to fight each time.

If I can expect that quality across the game, it's going to last me a long time.

Tri had such glorious new monster designs, really well thought-through creatures with variety and character, and here we get much more, so no need to worry about that.

Orayn

AWW YEAH! OT'S FINALLY UP! Gonna add myself to the list, but my NNID is BROrayn if anybody wants to friend me immediately.

First monster hunter game for me and I am ready! Do y'all think I'll need a pro controller or will most of you be using the wii u game pad?

Mostly depends on how comfortable you are with the GamePad in general. If you think holding R and/or L all the time with it would be uncomfortable, which is understandable because of how high up they are, the Pro Controller is worth looking into. Otherwise, the GamePad should be fine.

I'm gonna be hunting with the pro controller unless I can map the L+R functions to ZL+ZR. I find the L+R buttons on the gamepad too mushy to deal with the awkward placement of such important buttons.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
If you pre-order from the Capcom store, you get a free CCP IIRC. I would just go with that if it's an option for you.
Damn, I woulda jumped on that for sure but I did best buys buy one get one half off for it and Lego. Ahh well, I'll try with the game pad first and get the other later.

Orayn

A recent patch for Japan, which is supposedly on-disc for everyone else, lets you map certain things to ZL and ZR. The only one I know for sure right now is target camera on ZR, but there may be others.

Proven

So my 3DS XL arrived in the mail a couple hours, and I've finally finished setting it up. Now I just have to wait for the game and have 5 days to play the hell out of the demo whenever I get bored.

Back to my usual lurking though.

PusherT

3DS all day every day. I will be on this day 1 from 3ds Eshop. I may even get a wii u to take my 3ds version online the 3d is just so good. I hope that app comes to NA.

Are there any good skills for Gunlancing I am thinking about skills that affect sharpness and guarding?? I used to play Tri online with a few gaffers "Boney" and "Lance bone path".

Great OT, OP. Short, sweet, clean, and straight to the point.

I'm downloading the the Wii U version day one, I need this game in my console at all times.

Just added my name to the list, I look forward to hunting with you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom