• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT| If at first you don't succeed, try Tri again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
iSg8nrj6BTviq.gif

Soon my precious.. soon..
The Qurupeco frame reminded me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks25KdKbb1g

Can someone simplify the 3DS online for me? I feel dumb, but I don't get it.

So, if I own a wii u and 3DS, I can take the 3DS online and play with other people online on their 3DS? Does my WiiU act as a server?

Peru

So, if I own a wii u and 3DS, I can take the 3DS online and play with other people online on their 3DS? Does my WiiU act as a server?

You can play with other people online on their 3DS or WiiU_ you use the same rooms as everyone else but it has to be hosted by a WiiU player.

YuChai

something like that. except with some limitation e.g. can't create room online (but still can join others)

You can play with other people online on their 3DS or WiiU_ you use the same rooms as everyone else but it has to be hosted by a WiiU player.

So, if my buddy is in Hawaii on his 3DS, with wifi, and I'm here in CA with my WiiU and 3DS, can we play together?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Orayn

So, if my buddy is in Hawaii on his 3DS, with wifi, and I'm here in CA with my WiiU and 3DS, can we play together?

The 3DS version always needs a Wii U to go online. It's not a very good setup, but that's probably because Capcom added it so late. (Original release was December 2011.)

PusherT

I think the 3d adds a lot to game in my experience. It seem like with the added depth the 3d adds when playing multiplayer you can judge space better meaning getting hit less by poor LS,GS "upswing" and hammer users. It should help immensely when playing muti with some noob long sword user who likes to hit your character as well as the monster.

Taking the 3ds version online sounds like the way to go.

Peru

If he has a WiiU and the app as well. I wasn't clear - someone who plays the WiiU copy of the game needs to host the room. And all of you with 3DSes have to have the wii u ad hoc running.

If he has a WiiU and the app as well. I wasn't clear - someone who plays the WiiU copy of the game needs to host the room. And all of you with 3DSes have to have the wii u ad hoc running.

I see, thanks. Pretty dumb system
But, I guess better than nothing.

Added my NNID. Played a bunch of frontier unite but it has been quite some time so i'm sure I am going to suck. Between this and starcraft 2 i don't think i'm going to have time for real life. Im pretty pumped though.

Question for any experience players out there:

I've attempted to play the demo several times because, from what I can tell, I should love this game, but the controls are a real sticking point for me.

Example - When using the bow, you hold the R-shoulder to go into aiming mode. You then adjust your aim with the R-stick. But, somehow, you also need to be holding X (or maybe Y?) during this time so that you're pulling back on your bow and then release it to shoot. How is that possible? I can't be holding a button with my right thumb and moving around the R-stick at the same time. Am I missing something?

Beelzebub

Question for any experience players out there:

I've attempted to play the demo several times because, from what I can tell, I should love this game, but the controls are a real sticking point for me.

Example - When using the bow, you hold the R-shoulder to go into aiming mode. You then adjust your aim with the R-stick. But, somehow, you also need to be holding X (or maybe Y?) during this time so that you're pulling back on your bow and then release it to shoot. How is that possible? I can't be holding a button with my right thumb and moving around the R-stick at the same time. Am I missing something?

Adjust the aiming with the the d-pad

ugoo18

When you start a 'New Game', you are assigned a table that indicates what kind of charms you can get. there are lots of tables available. capcom probably did this so that different players can get different charms.

Its a one-off thing, once you begin you can never change what table you were assigned. how can you, when it is internal and invisible to you.

now, in theory its should be all fine and dandy. regardless of what table you get assigned, it shouldn't matter... BUT it seems that there are tables that are buggy. "cursed" is just a fancy way of saying it.

basically these "cursed" tables have poor charm selections and some will not give you minerals (that you mine) needed to forge special armours and/or weapons.

so basically these "cursed" tables can handicap your playing experience and the only way to get around it is to start a 'New Game'. annoying when you have poured hundreds of hours in the game.

So should i try to get on the good tables then rather than just ignoring it completely?

Interesting. Will have to try it.

A lot of the controls seem very non-obvious to me. Experimentation has only gotten me so far. Any idea if the final version allows custom controls?

No. Have you looked at the digital manual? It goes into some decent detail about the controls for each weapon.

Nicko

NINID added to the spreadsheet. Looking forward to huntin' with you guys! Really enjoyed Tri, Freedom, and F2, so can't wait to get back into it.

For some reason, the thought of a progress-reward technique style fantasy game that does not have a super deep convoluted story sounds super refreshing and enjoyable right now...

I am not really a huge MMO gamer, due to work, girlfriend, and adult life responsibilities. Therefore the thought of coming home from work, and spending a half hour to an hour a few nights a week, while making clear forward character progress, sure sounds relaxing and awesome.

I really hoping for more MH support here in the states, so I bit the bullet and bought both Wii U and 3DS versions... still trying to figure out how to convince my GF to play coop with me on 3DS and Wii U linked.

Please add me so we can get some good online hunts going! See you all in a week!

Nicko

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Amazing thread Andrex, thanks :)
I´ll get the WiiU and 3DS version at the european launch, also put my new NNID (cw7asuke) into the spreadsheet)

Hunting Season is about to begin !!!

Satch

Banned
i have immense respect for anybody that uses the great sword

i feel like i try to take a swing and the rabbit has time to order a pizza to eat while watching reruns of seinfeld

NNID is ShadowgeistZ

Hit me up if anyone needs a lancer hanging around. Otherwise I'm playing with some local friends for a while, I managed to convince 2-3 other people to get the game on 3DS!

i have immense respect for anybody that uses the great sword

i feel like i try to take a swing and the rabbit has time to order a pizza to eat while watching reruns of seinfeld
Lol. Like the hammer, once you learn specific monster timings you start to go pro at wrecking stuff.

It also helps that it is hard to miss Med to big monsters with the reach that it has.

I wish I had your persuasion skills.

There are no skills, really. It took every drop of blood to convince them to play, I've been trying to convince people since Tri, lol

You would have better luck trying to grind a coin into dust with your fingernails. =(

It should also be noted that, in this game, HR doesn't matter until you reach G-rank quests. So you aren't held back by your HR after you complete the key quests.

Nerazar

Amazing thread Andrex, thanks :)
I´ll get the WiiU and 3DS version at the european launch, also put my new NNID (cw7asuke) into the spreadsheet)

Hunting Season is about to begin !!!

After I read about the GameStop offer (WiiU Basic @ 199€), my fingers got itchy again... If I turn in my old 3DS, I might get a good price out of it, Monster Hunter included.

Especially after Off-TV-Play was confirmed... how could I ever resist the Hunt?!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After I read about the GameStop offer (WiiU Basic @ 199€), my fingers got itchy again... If I turn in my old 3DS, I might get a good price out of it, Monster Hunter included.

Especially after Off-TV-Play was confirmed... how could I ever resist the Hunt?!

You know what to do man.....do it :-D

Nerazar

You know what to do man.....do it :-D

I guess I just might do it if the stars allign and if the 199€-offer is still standing. Even though it's a bit crazy to own a PAL-WiiU *just for* Monster Hunter ... but well, I have my JP-WiiU (region lock, I'm looking at you!) mostly for Karaoke as of now (It may sound crazy, but the JP-Lineup of the WiiU is non-existant compared to the West).

Doesn't seem too weird if I look at it that way...! :D

I friend requested all of you North Americans on the NNID list.

Will be playing a lot around launch. Lets quest/hunt together

:]

I'm fairly new, but excited to learn

chronosic

After playing for 2 hours I'm finally back into the swings of things. I love the early game, building yourself up, creating an armoury.
Also concerning the charm tables, the info we have for the JP version dose not seem to apply to the NA version. Checked what time I started my new game, and the table I got did not correspond at all with the info we have.

Ken

After playing for 2 hours I'm finally back into the swings of things. I love the early game, building yourself up, creating an armoury.
Also concerning the charm tables, the info we have for the JP version dose not seem to apply to the NA version. Checked what time I started my new game, and the table I got did not correspond at all with the info we have.

What if there never were charm tables and it's all a trick on the silly foreigners.

I guess I'm going to be doing a lot of ship sailing. T.T

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
USB keyboard? Now I really have to try this out. This was initially being bought because the better half demanded it and I have not played Monster Hunter since the original (which funnily enough was on her PS2 at the time), so I thought what the hey.

But it seems that this will be quite the fun circus.

Doombear

I friend requested all of you North Americans on the NNID list.

Will be playing a lot around launch. Lets quest/hunt together

:]

I'm fairly new, but excited to learn

Added you back, as well as a few others that have sent Friend Requests. Keep em coming Hunters of GAF!

I had read that the times may not actually correlate to the same tables as they did in Japan. I will be happy to not land on 12 or 16 myself, and I am not going to wait until someone breaks down the times for the NA/EU tables. Capcom admitted you are locked at character creation so I am at least going to do my best to land on one that will let me get Rustshards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom