• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Haunted

The Lobby showing "Seeking Companions" for a room is the worst, because it conceals whether the people are on a quest or not.

Terrible design choice.

Haunted

So I've managed to solo ALL quests through level 8 and all but a couple of 9 star quests and the
urgent quest to fight Deviljho
just opened up. I figure, eh, I've faced him before in a couple of quests when he's shown up and learned to respect his enraged mode but I've never actually killed him. I've made it through every single quest the first time I've tried it except the first time I faced Duramboros (I forgot to bring traps and just ran out of time whittling down his health) and the first time I faced Ceadeus. I've never carted three times in any quest and failed it.

Now, normally, I only ever bring the following to fights I expect to be tough:
10 pots
10 mega pots
10 honeys
energy drinks
painballs
dung bombs
tranqs, traps, and stuff to make new traps
whetstones

I travel light and I've never had to bring a bunch of miscellaenous stuff with me like drugged meat, flash bombs, etc.

So I figure, eh, this should be a tough fight, but I just built my Rath Soul set that I took out
Ivory Lagiacrus
EASILY with in the first try (that was a pushover fight) and I've got my Ancharius Sword which is about as good a GS as I can get at my rank but just in case I actually added a couple of Max Potions to the mix, figuring if I get carted then at least I can get up to max health again after a cart.

Can I just say
holy fucking shit
?!?!? What the HELL do I do against this guy? I haven't gotten slapped around that hard since MHFU days. Not only is his rage mode total BS but I have to keep my health topped off at all times in case he decides he wants to
start EATING ON ME

Any suggestions for a GS user besides the obvious "don't let him hit you"? I mean - holy crap they take off the kid gloves with this guy and it totally took me by surprise. I even had my Shakala's setup for support and everything.

8-0
Bring Meat. Drugged, Poisoned, Tinged. The one fight in the game where those are really useful, imo. He's always hungry and he'll always go for it eventually. Also bring max potions if you know it's going to be tough, brings your health bar back to 150 after fainting (and is good for completely healing you in a pinch).

As for the actual fight, I'm not a GS user, so I don't have any specific tips for you. I stay below his feet with my GL and Guard+2 and just block everything. :D

gotee12

Stupid question time...

I just made my first set of HR armor (Arzuros). When I check our the armor stats on the equipment screen, I see a solid red square to the right of each armor piece name. What's that red box mean/indicate?

Haunted

Stupid question time...

I just made my first set of HR armor (Arzuros). When I check our the armor stats on the equipment screen, I see a solid red square to the right of each armor piece name. What's that red box mean/indicate?
Colour. :) You can tweak it under Change Appearance.

210 hours in. 3 dozen g rank armor and weapon sets/pieces. I cannot beat that Final arena village quest. I have only tried it twice, but so far that is enough to dash my spirits.

i swear to god, that ivory lagi hits like a G rank level monster.

also

Banned
Most would say that's for the worse, no need to change what is already perfect. Capcom seems to agree as well otherwise they wouldn't be removing underwater from MH4. It's the only thing holding MH3U back from being a 10/10 game imo

I wouldn't say the game is perfect. First, they should really change the drop system so that the carve/capture rates of rare materials would increase each time you would kill/capture a monster and they would reset to their default values each time you would obtain said rare materials. It would go a long way towards giving hunts, where all the rewards are ''trash'', some meaning. Second, I wish monsters gave more feedback, i.e., more breakable parts and more statuses. They should at least add a desperation status (that would be different from the enraged status) that would increase the monsters' attack power when it's HP got low enough. If you would deal enough damage, the monster would then start limping and try to go to sleep. Third, I want less reskinned monsters and less recycling; when Brachydios starts circling around you, I can't help but see Barroth. Fourth, the environment should be more interactive. Looks like MH4 will improve in this area.
Capcom seems to agree that the game is definitely not perfect, since MH4 is changing the gameplay quite a bit. Mark my words, water combat will be back in MHU4, along with all the weapons/features they will cut in MH4.

DaBoss

210 hours in. 3 dozen g rank armor and weapon sets/pieces. I cannot beat that Final arena village quest. I have only tried it twice, but so far that is enough to dash my spirits.

Because it does. Try doing it in High-Rank armor. :p

Chunky

Afaik, the monsters in that quest have High Rank health, but do G-Rank damage.

Ragus

Banned
Break beard, break horn and you will repel him.

Done. Thanks.

Now, I'm after my first High Rank quest - wow, finally some decent challenge. Game is starting to feel fresh again. I have question about armor - now I'm using Lagi low rank set. When should I be looking for a upgrade? Any particular set (longsword)?

Or should I just start mixing equipment from different monsters?

Kyzon

Neko means cat

If you guys wanna see something funny, go into Moga Woods during the day in G Rank gear and fight a Great Jaggi

Remember not to blink

Lol, I never get the good jokes the first time.

Is there a "drop rate" for which monsters appear in moga woods? I can't seem to ever get pink rath, and up.

here I am fighting Brachy and Cha-cha gets slimed and I look away from my screen for a second and he respawns under me and blows up so I'm raging at him and kayamba spawns right under me and blows up too...
LLShC.gif

Ridley327

Is there a programme for the Dlc? Specifically, when Alatreon will be avaiable online?

The game shows as far as the following week's DLC when it updates on Tuesday. I would certainly like for Alatreon to hit sooner rather than later, but we do know he's coming regardless.

Fistwell

Started another room in fp3 l9. Moc, Weird, Mileena, I can see you guys playing single players. Come online already! :)

On a completely unrelated topic, love the sound-bites tenebra gives when you swing it or sheathe it.
Too bad it's a shit weapon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Twin Peaks quest: awesome name, otherwise lame.

Ran down the clock and my lives but I did it, lol.

I thought of that too, but only the big monsters were re-textured, right? And really, they look pretty much identical to their 3DS counterparts, just with added shiny.

Fewr

I love the third pic - the prance gesture, lol
The avatar up top is my new twitter avatar.

----------------

Has anyone tried doing quests in teams? Last night I did Rathian/Rathalos and we accidentally split up in two teams. We were both done at around the same time, I had fun. My only problem was the carving afterwards.

Ridley327

I thought of that too, but only the big monsters were re-textured, right? And really, they look pretty much identical to their 3DS counterparts, just with added shiny.

There's definitely some improved texture work in the environments; not nearly as dramatic as the monsters, but they did work on them all the same.

I would probably guess that the videos add the most to the file size; most people don't realize it, but there is quite a bit of CG cutscenes that you can unlock as you progress through the game.

Satch

Banned
Has anyone tried doing quests in teams? Last night I did Rathian/Rathalos and we accidentally split up in two teams. We were both done at around the same time, I had fun. My only problem was the carving afterwards.

I was helping out in a low rank room a few days ago, and we did that quest. The three of them wanted me to gear up and kill Rathian for them while they killed Rathalos. I've found that it's a good way to keep the monsters away from each other so that they're easier to manage.

So, I can't resist this any longer. Tomorrow I'll be buying a Wii U and this game, I'm brand new to the series. Any tips or anything for me?

Fewr

So, I can't resist this any longer. Tomorrow I'll be buying a Wii U and this game, I'm brand new to the series. Any tips or anything for me?

This:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55678860&postcount=14

Also:

If you have a 3DS try the demo, or when you start the game check out all the weapons and see which you like best.
The tutotial is pretty much useless, so ask here any questions you have.
Don't give up, it can be frustrating at first, but keep going and you'll find this is the best game in the world. I am new to the series too, I thought I'd spend 40hrs at most on this (I can't complete games anymore). I just checked my savefile and noticed I've reached 140hrs and still love the game.

Riposte

Are GAF rooms password protected? If so I won't bother. Then again you guys are probably have armor that it too good for what I want to do anyway.

Riposte

That's a handy way to hide information. I wonder if I'll do that for when I make an OT. Probably won't have to.

Satch

Banned
I feel bad for everybody having trouble getting Palliums and Brachy Gems.

My luck has been nothing short of incredible. :)

Exhumed

Wow haven't been faked out that bad in a long time. Sand Barioth starting limping away, so I start sharpening. He jumps in his tornado off screen and comes outta no where and nearly kills me. Did not see that one coming.

Almost HR6!

Screaming at the ending game CG, but it was great to see how their adventure went.

Anyway... *emotions* Fantastic game, I hope we get MH4 next year.

10/10

This:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=55678860&postcount=14

Also:

If you have a 3DS try the demo, or when you start the game check out all the weapons and see which you like best.
The tutotial is pretty much useless, so ask here any questions you have.
Don't give up, it can be frustrating at first, but keep going and you'll find this is the best game in the world. I am new to the series too, I thought I'd spend 40hrs at most on this (I can't complete games anymore). I just checked my savefile and noticed I've reached 140hrs and still love the game.

No 3ds here but I've been watching this game for weeks now so I'm sure I'm gonna love it... Can't wait to get off of work at noon and run to gamestop for a wii u and the game :D

Top Bottom