• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

Mupod

So I've managed to solo ALL quests through level 8 and all but a couple of 9 star quests and the
urgent quest to fight Deviljho
just opened up. I figure, eh, I've faced him before in a couple of quests when he's shown up and learned to respect his enraged mode but I've never actually killed him. I've made it through every single quest the first time I've tried it except the first time I faced Duramboros (I forgot to bring traps and just ran out of time whittling down his health) and the first time I faced Ceadeus. I've never carted three times in any quest and failed it.

Now, normally, I only ever bring the following to fights I expect to be tough:
10 pots
10 mega pots
10 honeys
energy drinks
painballs
dung bombs
tranqs, traps, and stuff to make new traps
whetstones

I travel light and I've never had to bring a bunch of miscellaenous stuff with me like drugged meat, flash bombs, etc.

So I figure, eh, this should be a tough fight, but I just built my Rath Soul set that I took out
Ivory Lagiacrus
EASILY with in the first try (that was a pushover fight) and I've got my Ancharius Sword which is about as good a GS as I can get at my rank but just in case I actually added a couple of Max Potions to the mix, figuring if I get carted then at least I can get up to max health again after a cart.

Can I just say
holy fucking shit
?!?!? What the HELL do I do against this guy? I haven't gotten slapped around that hard since MHFU days. Not only is his rage mode total BS but I have to keep my health topped off at all times in case he decides he wants to
start EATING ON ME

Any suggestions for a GS user besides the obvious "don't let him hit you"? I mean - holy crap they take off the kid gloves with this guy and it totally took me by surprise. I even had my Shakala's setup for support and everything.

8-0

Dung bombs interrupt his pin attack. Make sure you're eating food that gives dragon resist if you insist on wearing azure los armor - iirc it has MASSIVE negative dragon. You shouldn't be getting hit by his breath but shit happens.

As was already mentioned, bring paralyze/sleep meat. As a GS user, sleep meat in particular will be a huge benefit. It'll most likely only work once though.

The fight will still be tough, so go in prepared. Max potions and the like. Pitfall him when he drools, etc.

chrono01

I've been having weird disconnect issues with Monster Hunter since the Wii U update. Nothing has changed at all with my connection, it's exactly the same as prior.

Before I would be able to play hours on-end with no problems, but after the update, I get disconnected regularly, often-times during a quest [which is painful]. I've also notice "lag" such as when accepting quests from the hunting board in the Marina. -_-

Has this been happening to anyone else?

Korosenai

I am so sad right now. After I repelled Ceadeus for the first time, I figured id go again to get some more items from it. With 10 minutes left, his beard destroyed, and almost done, I used a farcaster instead of a mini oxy supply. It takes me 7 minutes to swim back and I destroy his horn as time goes out.

So basically, never carry farcasters. Ever.

ohlawd

still using the default lance, just recently unlocked Flooded Forest lol.

when can I make a new good lance srsly.

Mupod

I am so sad right now. After I repelled Ceadeus for the first time, I figured id go again to get some more items from it. With 10 minutes left, his beard destroyed, and almost done, I used a farcaster instead of a mini oxy supply. It takes me 7 minutes to swim back and I destroy his horn as time goes out.

Farcasters are the best thing that nobody but me ever uses. Especially on quests in places like the arena or tower. Even on regular missions I tend to get dropped so far from the monster that it's frequently faster to teleport back to camp and take a shortcut.

False Felyne + Bombardier + Rage

ibckZwsxTa3a6c.gif

At the base camp, there is a boulder blocking a jump point closer to the wall. When you reach the final area, that boulder disappears and you can jump right outside of the final area.

Bring Meat. Drugged, Poisoned, Tinged. The one fight in the game where those are really useful, imo. He's always hungry and he'll always go for it eventually. Also bring max potions if you know it's going to be tough, brings your health bar back to 150 after fainting (and is good for completely healing you in a pinch).

As for the actual fight, I'm not a GS user, so I don't have any specific tips for you. I stay below his feet with my GL and Guard+2 and just block everything. :D

Dung bombs interrupt his pin attack. Make sure you're eating food that gives dragon resist if you insist on wearing azure los armor - iirc it has MASSIVE negative dragon. You shouldn't be getting hit by his breath but shit happens.

As was already mentioned, bring paralyze/sleep meat. As a GS user, sleep meat in particular will be a huge benefit. It'll most likely only work once though.

The fight will still be tough, so go in prepared. Max potions and the like. Pitfall him when he drools, etc.

Thanks guys. I *thought* he used Dragon element damage in his rage mode but wasn't sure. I only got hit by his rage-mode Dragon sparks only once but it wasn't bad. Generally I run around or leave the area to heal if he's in full on rage mode anyway. I mainly use the Rath Soul set so I can get (with gems and talisman) HG Earplugs and Critical Eye +3 so combined with my 30% affinity on my GS I think that means I have a 50% or 60% critical rate so my plan was to do as much damage as quickly as possible before he could cart me three times. I got him close on my first run. His tail was chopped off and the textures on the monster model look all scarred and damaged. I'm surprised I didn't finish him off before he did me in.

I'll try this again soon and let you know! Maybe all I need was to get some extra hits on him while trapped/sleeping - might give me enough of an edge...

Mupod

Thanks guys. I *thought* he used Dragon element damage in his rage mode but wasn't sure. I only got hit by his rage-mode Dragon sparks only once but it wasn't bad. Generally I run around or leave the area to heal if he's in full on rage mode anyway. I mainly use the Rath Soul set so I can get (with gems and talisman) HG Earplugs and Critical Eye +3 so combined with my 30% affinity on my GS I think that means I have a 50% or 60% critical rate so my plan was to do as much damage as quickly as possible before he could cart me three times. I got him close on my first run. His tail was chopped off and the textures on the monster model look all scarred and damaged. I'm surprised I didn't finish him off before he did me in.

I'll try this again soon and let you know! Maybe all I need was to get some extra hits on him while trapped/sleeping - might give me enough of an edge...

The thing about Deviljho is he actually becomes more vulnerable when he's enraged, so get in there and nail him in the chest.

Fewr

I was helping out in a low rank room a few days ago, and we did that quest. The three of them wanted me to gear up and kill Rathian for them while they killed Rathalos. I've found that it's a good way to keep the monsters away from each other so that they're easier to manage.

The part I like the best is when the two parties see each other in a map, each focusing on their own monster.

L Thammy

Finally managed to get together with some friends for some ad-hoc! We played the hell out of it. I started at HR1, they were at HR2, we all ended at HR3.

When we all got to HR3, they decided to do Colorful Beasts event to see the new monsters. One of them (6*, HR3) was screaming when we were fighting Nargacuga. The other (4*, HR3) was screaming when he fought a Brachydios along the way. I (9*, HR3) was laughing like a madman.

We lost the quest. Both of them fainted, but after that I was able to get the Nargacuga's tail off and get him limping. Didn't see who took the last fall after that, it was probably to Brachydios.

We all agreed that it was pretty damn fun.

Beats

Hmm, I'm struggling with soloing Alatreon. I completed the Mark of a Hero without much of a problem, but this thing is giving me some trouble. It barely flinches, doesn't get tired, and often counterattacks whenever I'm hitting it during the small openings I find. Any tips? Should I use a different weapon (I'm using a hunting horn)? I can dodge its attacks, but I don't feel like I'm doing enough damage to it. I failed my first attempt since I ran out of time. lol

jersoc

hi guys, I have a noob question. I bought some items from the captain or whatever to increase boat levels. How do I use them? Or is it just an event that happens as I progress? I'm not that far, only to the quest to kill lagi.

CPCunha

Ok, so... Armor Spheres... do i use them on "halfway" armor? should i be storing them forever? i just took a Duramboros set all the way to lvl8..... now i feel dirty.

Exhumed

Ok, so... Armor Spheres... do i use them on "halfway" armor? should i be storing them forever? i just took a Duramboros set all the way to lvl8..... now i feel dirty.

You will get so many armor spheres you wont know what to do with them. As long as you are using the armor set upgrade as far as possible. It wont be a problem till G-rank when you need to farm the final spheres.

Mupod

Hmm, I'm struggling with soloing Alatreon. I completed the Mark of a Hero without much of a problem, but this thing is giving me some trouble. It barely flinches, doesn't get tired, and often counterattacks whenever I'm hitting it during the small openings I find. Any tips? Should I use a different weapon (I'm using a hunting horn)? I can dodge its attacks, but I don't feel like I'm doing enough damage to it. I failed my first attempt since I ran out of time. lol

Hammer worked for me. You can get a lot of openings when he turns, taunts, roars, gets his horns stuck in a wall, or when you flashbomb/binder him out of the air. Farcasters and materials to make more help a lot since you can rest in the bed to recover hp/status and revive your helpers.

hi guys, I have a noob question. I bought some items from the captain or whatever to increase boat levels. How do I use them? Or is it just an event that happens as I progress? I'm not that far, only to the quest to kill lagi.

If you got the item, they're now upgraded. You'll notice that boat can now go to an additional destination.

L Thammy

It's automatic. Just get them and they're upgraded forever. Shakalaka masks and Poogi costumes are similar; you can't even sell them.

jersoc

Hammer worked for me. You can get a lot of openings when he turns, taunts, roars, gets his horns stuck in a wall, or when you flashbomb/binder him out of the air. Farcasters and materials to make more help a lot since you can rest in the bed to recover hp/status and revive your helpers.

If you got the item, they're now upgraded. You'll notice that boat can now go to an additional destination.

indeed. thanks

Having Tremor Res is amazing on Jho too. When he stomps or jumps it gives you a ton of extra time for hits.

Good idea!

The thing about Deviljho is he actually becomes more vulnerable when he's enraged, so get in there and nail him in the chest.

B-b-but.... he's so....*gulp* SCARY when he's enraged... 8(

That's actually nice to know. I assumed he would be just as tough when enraged as normal mode.

Good stuff - thanks guys! I'll give this another go tonight probably. As wierd as it sounds for a video game about hunting and killing make-believe dinosaurs and dragons I usually feel a little guilty about killing certain monsters but Jho has ruined several of my quests before so that bastard is goin' down!!!

Ultratech

On the belly/chest? Yeah.

Everywhere else hardens up a bit though except the tail.

B-b-but.... he's so....*gulp* SCARY when he's enraged... 8(

That's actually nice to know. I assumed he would be just as tough when enraged as normal mode.

Good stuff - thanks guys! I'll give this another go tonight probably. As wierd as it sounds for a video game about hunting and killing make-believe dinosaurs and dragons I usually feel a little guilty about killing certain monsters but Jho has ruined several of my quests before so that bastard is goin' down!!!

Jho isn't THAT bad. And he does feel a bit toned down from Tri, where he was just a beast.
I typically try and stay on his ass whenever possible.

As mentioned, the different meats will help a bit (Poisoned, Tinged, Drugged, etc.) and Jho himself is pretty vulnerable to Poison.

May also wanna bring Adamant Seeds to get your Defense back up if he hits you while drooling.

Mupod

It seems that the pose you pick for your guild card affects your NPC hunter when someone meets them in the offline tavern. So I instantly know who is cool or not by seeing who is or isn't prancing, the finest of gestures.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Serious question? No. It's not even the end of the village quests, there's a few more after the ending. And the village content is barely even a drop in the bucket.

And even still, the village content is massive. Especially compared to Tri. It's basically doubled, and it took me what felt like forever to get through Tri (I didn't even beat Ceadeus before Ultimate came out.)

First one after killing
Ceadeus
. The second "end game" one after killing
Ivory Lagiacrus

I see, thanks. Looking forward to the latter. I've gotten pretty good at his normal form.

Alright, finally gonna drop the Soul Sacrifice demo now :p

I'll be hopping online in a bit if anyone wants to help or needs help with anything. I'll probably be live streaming too.

JKTrix

I'd like to play with some gaffers if people are going to be on soon. If someone who is barely HR4 with low rank armour is good enough.

Exhumed

Woohoo, hit HR6! Goldbeard was easier than I expected, but then I brought an extra 10 UW Ballistas. Im kinda mad though, Cha-cha got the kill with a slime explosion. I was really hoping for a nice golfswing with my Despot's Crackle :(

Mileena

Banned
I'd like to play with some gaffers if people are going to be on soon. If someone who is barely HR4 with low rank armour is good enough.

I can help you out. I just picked up bowgun so I could use some practice against high rank monsters. G rank Brachy wasn't having any of it earlier :(

JKTrix

I can help you out. I just picked up bowgun so I could use some practice against high rank monsters. G rank Brachy wasn't having any of it earlier :(
Cool. I made a room called GAF HR4+ on 03 Free C > Lobby9, with the password. I'm a gunner too

Riposte

I suck at breaking beaks for strange beak. want my maestro decs

edit: 95% combo rate, fail 3 times in a row.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Am I broken because I don't like playing by myself? MonHun isn't MonHun without other people for me.

Follow up question: anyone wanna play with me on early quests once I defeat Great Jaggi? I just miss playing with people, and playing alone is just okay. :(

Fewr

Am I broken because I don't like playing by myself? MonHun isn't MonHun without other people for me.

I have fun on both single and multi, so yes you're wrong.
(I do admit the game shines in a different light when on multi though).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have fun on both single and multi, so yes you're wrong.
(I do admit the game shines in a different light when on multi though).

I've always had more fun in MonHun games with people, but I lean towards coop in all games if it's available. I'm just a coop kinda guy, and generally find games more fun with friends.

Stoof

About to dive into MH3U for the first time! I thought it was fitting the first thing I see when loading up my Wii U was this popping up :)

zlCfzQ906LMRgl0CVk

credit to Naesyroc

JoeFu

Banned
Yo GAF! I made a room in the usual place with the usual password if anybody wants to join. I'd like to hunt g rank zin to upgrade, but I finally have my hr7 urgent :)

Really need a break from studying for finals.

Top Bottom