• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate |OT2| "OT" means Official Thread!

ramyeon

Yo GAF! I made a room in the usual place with the usual password if anybody wants to join. I'd like to hunt g rank zin to upgrade, but I finally have my hr7 urgent :)

Really need a break from studying for finals.
Word, I'm down. Wouldn't mind trying the urgent again either, I've been avoiding hunting Miralis again since the first time haha.

Fewr

I've always had more fun in MonHun games with people, but I lean towards coop in all games if it's available. I'm just a coop kinda guy, and generally find games more fun with friends.
I hate online multiplayer unless it's coop. I've found MH is very enjoyable online because everyone brings their own stuff and knows what to do. I've only had one person begging for honey so far.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hate online multiplayer unless it's coop. I've found MH is very enjoyable online because everyone brings their own stuff and knows what to do. I've only had one person begging for honey so far.

I love multiplayer, but coop has my heart. If I can do all the quests in coop, I might see if I can find a buddy to play with me. It's a little lonely otherwise. ;_;

But kudos to those that play MonHun alone. I'm only doing it right now to get chops back, so I can get online again and play with peeps.

About to dive into MH3U for the first time! I thought it was fitting the first thing I see when loading up my Wii U was this popping up :)

zlCfzQ906LMRgl0CVk

credit to Naesyroc
Let me know if you want to play early quests together. I'm always looking for new players to adventure and murder wildlife with. :)

Satch

Banned
damnit i KNOW theres a way to change the names of your registered equipment sets, but i cant find the option

ive even changed the names of them before, but dont remember how

D:

taybul

damnit i KNOW theres a way to change the names of your registered equipment sets, but i cant find the option

ive even changed the names of them before, but dont remember how

D:

You usually hit y when you're viewing the sets but you can't do it if you're playing with others for some reason.

Korosenai

I just started 6 star quests and now im getting my ass kicked. This is gonna be fun lol.

After beating the P. Ludroth I noticed there are now S and U armor double the defense of what I have now. How many different ranks of armor are there? I guess I should really work on an S set.

Mupod

I just started 6 star quests and now im getting my ass kicked. This is gonna be fun lol.

After beating the P. Ludroth I noticed there are now S and U armor double the defense of what I have now. How many different ranks of armor are there? I guess I should really work on an S set.

S set is high rank, U is high rank subspecies.

G rank is a whole other tier above that, with X and Z respectively.

Some sets say fuck the police and disregard the letter designation, mainly monsters that don't have low or high rank equivalents like Deviljho or Dire Miralis.

taybul

In my hundreds of hours over multiple MHs I've only ever been a blademaster but the bows look really fun in this game. Did I read somewhere that people typically make a separate character for blademaster and gunner?

Fewr

In my hundreds of hours over multiple MHs I've only ever been a blademaster but the bows look really fun in this game. Did I read somewhere that people typically make a separate character for blademaster and gunner?
I want to do try them too. I'm thinking about getting a good armor when I reach high rank to start, or just waiting until MH4 arrives. I'm definitely giving them a go in the future.

Ultratech

Abyssal Lagi won't give me a damn Dynamo. ;_;

But did some Dire Miralis earlier and finally got a damn gem. Just gotta figure out what to do with it.
Thought about making the SA, but I'm not sure.

Also played around with making an Awaken Status set with Gigginox X.
Ended up setting it up like this:
-Awaken
-Status Atk +2
-Razor Sharp
-Evasion +1
-Critical Eye +1
-Element Atk Down

But I may play around with some more skills or something. I got lots of materials to play with.

rugioh

Banned
I haven't been following this thread but now that I'm G-Rank I want to start doing more gaf rooms.. whats the password that everyone uses?

JKTrix

Thanks to Mileena, Hattori, Mupod and earvcunanan. Before tonight I was at a point where I probably would have put the game down in a week or so, but I saw and learned a lot of things that have caught my interest again. Good games!

So where is the best place for Malachite? Also all the charm talk is just confusing! I already put 50ish hours in I would hate to have to restart. :(

Finally got my Lagia Sapphire after more than 10 Ivory Lagia and upgraded my Thunder Hammer!

Time to move on to HR....since I've already upgraded all my weapons to max of VQ materials!

Still going at it solo!

RobbieNick

So I've been so hooked on MHU3 that I ended up buying MHFU for my Vita. I've owned it before, but only briefly and I only remember not having a very good time with it.

I remember why now. Even with the ability to put the camera on the right analog stick now, this game REALLY kicks you ass at the beginning. I mean you're practically naked with that horrible armor you start out with on your first quests. So much so that even one of the more timid animals can kick your ass. A slight scrape of a Giaprey can take off 35% damage.

HAVING A HARD DIFFICULTY FROM THE START IS NOT HOW YOU BRING IN NEW PLAYERS! I can only imagine how hard it was just with the D-Pad alone. Luckily, because of my experience with 3U I was able to quickly craft much better armor and get a strong long sword. This game makes 3U look like a cakewalk.

Neki

What are some good mask combinations for your minions? I'm thinking about using Ultimate Mask + either Pitfall Mask or Fluffy Mask

blackflag

Uragaan finally gave up dat pallium. Got my grongigas hammer. Now I gotta pair it with my free element +7 charm and come up with a good set.

Are the Mark of the Hero monsters stronger than normal or something? I had no problem with Ivory Lagi in the normal quest, but it just carted me twice on Mark of the Hero.

ramyeon

I was considering Rathalos but nothing annoys me more than getting hit out of a charged level 3 GS attack by a stray fireball or barrel bomb from my minion.
Oh yeah, I can't use the Felyne mask for that reason, although it's not that much of a problem since I don't need to do charge attacks. Never had that problem with Rathalos, although I'm sure it's there.

*Finally* forged Agnak S for my fire DS. I need to forge the decorations and find a better charm than a slotless Stamina+5 so I can get:
- Fire Atk+2
- Constitution+2
- Razor Sharp
- Marathon Runner
- Flame Aura

I suppose I can settle with Constitution+1 so I can go with Marathon Runner. Damn Constitution gems having Stamina-1.

blackflag

Best mask combo IMO is

artillery with blood brothers and attack boost
Lamp mask with attack boost, seven lives, fast recovery

It's pretty sick. They regularly break stuff and do a ton of damage.

Teknoman

So the Wroggi Sword has a chance to poison enemies, and does the wroggi set up that chance? Or is it just poison defense?

Just did Mark Of A Hero for the first time, 15min left, not bad!

My tips:

Always have your health at max when fighting Lagi, his shock attack is very unpredictable.

Try to make Los and Brachy hit each other and focus your attacks on Los (easier to kill, or capture).

Don't fight Brachy if he is in rage mode, he WILL bitch slap you and finish with a combo, slime prevents you from blocking. He killed me two times because of this, one of the few monsters that really chase you down, there's no escaping, he runs really fast.

And of course, make good use of traps and flashes!

Tomorrow is Alatreon time!

Just did Mark Of A Hero for the first time, 15min left, not bad!

My tips:

Always have your health at max when fighting Lagi, his shock attack is very unpredictable.

Try to make Los and Brachy hit each other and focus your attacks on Los (easier to kill, or capture).

Don't fight Brachy if he is in rage mode, he WILL bitch slap you and finish with a combo, slime prevents you from blocking. He killed me two times because of this, one of the few monsters that really chase you down, there's no escaping, he runs really fast.

And of course, make good use of traps and flashes!

Tomorrow is Alatreon time!

UGGGHHHH. Its like writing a fucking paper in high school. I DONT WANT TO START, but in know i have to do it eventually.

Thanks for the tips.

the worst monster in the game is the Bullfango

If I had a blessed scroll of genocide from Nethack, Bullfangos would be the first to go.

Followed by Plesioth(s). Fuck that fish, its tailwhip that shouldn't hit that low and the forward charge that grabs me from anywhere around its feet. Plesioth + Gobul in F.Forest area 5... yeah, toss the laundry in and get out. (Murphy's Laws of Monster Hunter: Dung bombs only take effect when the other monster also decides to leave the zone)

Tiggy is a nun compared to that asshole Rajang(the SSJ always golden one). I remember he kicked me and my friend's asses so bad that we stopped playing the game for 2 weeks.

LOL. Tigrex might be a nun in MHP3...but it's still a damn iconic and formidable mob. It was also one of the major walls for newbies in MH. I miss the Tigrex in MH3U.

But Rajang...damn that Saiyan Gorilla. I played like hundreds of hours of MH...and I met Rajang....and I felt like a noob again. Another major wall.

Followed by Plesioth(s). Fuck that fish, its tailwhip that shouldn't hit that low and the forward charge that grabs me from anywhere around its feet.

Hip check hitbox from MHFU...that's where the fun is at! LOL

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Lol WTF at this Plesy + Lagi quest. Only thing worse would be a double Plesy one, haha.

IIRC, there was a Plessie + Green Plessie quest in MHFU. Not sure if it's still in MH3U.

...and yeah..my Pierce Lvl 4 thunder bow came in damn handy in that quest.

Top Bottom