• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 |OT| Slay 'em, Skin 'em, Wear 'em

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Is there any way to play JP games in English? (Asking about Animal Crossing etc..don't need MH in English)

Unfortunately no and seeing how the MH series has been in the past the chances of english options would be slim to none.

Hmm other games that I own dont seem to have english options. Animal crossing didnt from what I remember. Had the DL version. Generally for the most part Japanese titles dont include english in it. There are some which might, but a lot of the major ones do not.

panda21

that beetle thing he was fighting just now was awesome

is that a 'big' monster or just a jaggi type monster that hangs around?

Sarcasm

ugh

A) Have MH but nothing else

or

B) No MH4 but hope there is a west release but have the other games I want too!

FFFFFFFFFFF

MH doesn't need to be in English but AC does lol

chronosic

I can't tell if you're genuinely upset over the loss of the water battles, or if you're trolling. I hope it's not the latter since trolls will be hunted and turned into boots.

Man, I love the under water battles, and removing them from the game only serves to dampen the amount of gameplay options. I dont understand the babys who complain about it being too hard, it honestly takes one battle to get used to it, and for team crybaby, they could have refined the under water mechanics for this release. The game isn't as good as it could be because of the lack of underwater battles.

Parakeetman

Man, I love the under water battles, and removing them from the game only serves to dampen the amount of gameplay options. I dont understand the babys who complain about it being too hard, it honestly takes one battle to get used to it, and for team crybaby, they could have refined the under water mechanics for this release. The game isn't as good as it could be because of the lack of underwater battles.

The mechanics have been changed up a lot with the introduction of real uneven terrain and all the extra climbing / jumping etc. Once thats been stabilized am guessing they might consider looking at underwater again.

Though personally just because you like it, doesnt mean the rest of the fan base did. Since apparently the outcry was enough for them to not have considered it with this title.

All underwater battles turned into anyways was basically grab a lance if you are going diving. Since you could block and most attacks went directly to the front allowing for precision attacks which is important considering how shit your mobility becomes.

Zornica

Banned
I need to get a Japan Unit to play this correctly?

Which means I lose out on other games since I really don't read JP.

(Don't really need to read it to play MH heh)

you could gain a lot by learning katakana though... the good thing is, you wouldn't even have to learn vocabulary in most cases. with some imagination, you could figure the most things out.

yeah me too... I really liked those, never understood why people hated them.

do we know if there's going to be a midnight eshop launch? (or any eshop launch time?)

chronosic

The mechanics have been changed up a lot with the introduction of real uneven terrain and all the extra climbing / jumping etc. Once thats been stabilized am guessing they might consider looking at underwater again.

Though personally just because you like it, doesnt mean the rest of the fan base did. Since apparently the outcry was enough for them to not have considered it with this title.

All underwater battles turned into anyways was basically grab a lance if you are going diving. Since you could block and most attacks went directly to the front allowing for precision attacks which is important considering how shit your mobility becomes.

The lance was amazing for ceadeus, but every other weapon type is just as viable under water. I like how it made you learn new movesets for underwater battles, it keeps you on your toes and keeps the game fresh, which is awesome in a game you're going to put 999 hours into lol.

Sarcasm

you could gain a lot by learning katakana though... the good thing is, you wouldn't even have to learn vocabulary in most cases. with some imagination, you could figure the most things out.

At the moment, learning Chinese is my priority. =S

Parakeetman

The lance was amazing for ceadeus, but every other weapon type is just as viable under water. I like how it made you learn new movesets for underwater battles, it keeps you on your toes and keeps the game fresh, which is awesome in a game you're going to put 999 hours into lol.

For the most part while it was amusing personally it was more of a slog to deal with the underwater elements. Though for that particular title it added something different to do within the same formula which is what made it unique.

This time around there are a bunch of new mechanics to be learned similar to what went on with the underwater battles. So will just have to see it as a movement in a different direction.

Perhaps after this title is over and feedback is gathered, they will reevaluate the decision to have removed underwater combat. Similar to how they brought the cats back due to the massive outcry for them. As it was a huge selling point for MHP2G. And seeing how they have injected steroids into that aspect of the game in 4, Id say they do take the feedback given by the majority seriously.

With that being said better pray there are others who like to turn blue underwater along side you make enough noise to see a potential comeback in a future version.

NewGame

Banned
Oh, isn't that annoying as hell? Why isn't it just one big open world? Limitations of the 3DS?

The game plays sort of like a fighting game, the regions are separated by loads for several reasons (it's been like that for every game in the series) and you will love them when you have 2 HP and have to dive out of the room to heal up. :)

Parakeetman

A cool dude in Japan who works at Disney and plays pretty much only Monster Hunter. Solo. Forever.

Dude knows his MH shit, and has played 4 at a ton of the events in Tokyo. Probably all of them. lol

Thats cool didnt know that at all. Time to get my Google-Fu on! Thanks for the reply man!

Proven

Underwater battles were primarily a problem due to mobility, right? Considering they're adding more land mobility I pray they actually go back to the drawing board with under water fights.

I didn't have too much of a problem in Tri, but I also used SnS. Once Tri G came out I just stuck to ranged weapons.

Peru

Kilzane streamer also to the cheeky monkey. They seem to have sped up / chucked more big monsters into the opening hours of this one.

Peru

is that a new monster killzone is fighting now? looks awesome

Tetsukabura? Yep

Tetsukabura_Render.png

Parakeetman

Tetsukabura? Yep

Tetsukabura_Render.png

You know I noticed that things tail turns like to stone or something in the streaming vid. Then goes back to normal. Was I just seeing things or did you guys notice that too? Like it hardens its skin.

Bulbasaur

Banned
While I'm hyped to play this, I am not so hyped about having to buy and then use a circle pad pro XL. Don't tell me you can do without it either, MH3U without it is clunky and outright painfull.

Proven

While I'm hyped to play this, I am not so hyped about having to buy and then use a circle pad pro XL. Don't tell me you can do without it either, MH3U without it is clunky and outright painfull.

You have the name of my favorite pokemon, a terrible avatar, and the opposite experience I had with Tri G on an XL without a CPPro

panda21

oh cool, Tetsukabura looks fun. killzone is getting killzowned

You know I noticed that things tail turns like to stone or something in the streaming vid. Then goes back to normal. Was I just seeing things or did you guys notice that too? Like it hardens its skin.

yeah it was definitely doing that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Oh, isn't that annoying as hell? Why isn't it just one big open world? Limitations of the 3DS?

No, it's a fucking life saver. The loading screens are part of the flow of gameplay.

panda21

how come no one is playing with the bug stick thing? can you not get it til later?

@sprskskp said:
Fought the first new large monster. Fuck. Yes. The lance run+jump attack is SO BADASS. #thisgame

oh god i can't wait for the 8-4 podcast tomorrow. assuming they get away from the game long enough to record one

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
how come no one is playing with the bug stick thing? can you not get it til later?

oh god i can't wait for the 8-4 podcast tomorrow. assuming they get away from the game long enough to record one

We talk a little about it but unfortunately it was before that tweet.

SO GOOD!

NewGame

Banned
Is that circle pad thign required? realized my wife's cousin in Taipei has a JP unit.

It's not a requirement but some people can't seem to play without a dedicated secondary stick to control the camera.

The game has a 'recenter' feature that works like a soft lock-on.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I have a frankenstick so I have a dedicated camera stick. I played so much MH3U on Wii U that I can't live without it anymore.

panda21

We talk a little about it but unfortunately it was before that tweet.

SO GOOD!

ah ok. when do you think we will get some kind of MoHoFo cast? I vaguely remember something about TGS and MoHoFo casts being mentioned on the last podcast but i forget what.

kollapse

Neo Member
Hearing sprsk's positive impressions has me profoundly hyped for the next 5 or so 8-4 Play episodes.

What's the consensus on Play-Asia shipping this for arrivals on Friday? I imagine very slim at this point (mine is still "Preparing" and has been for days), but I remember when MHP3rd released it arrived here (Canada) the day of release for me.

Mondriaan

Underwater battles were primarily a problem due to mobility, right? Considering they're adding more land mobility I pray they actually go back to the drawing board with under water fights.

I didn't have too much of a problem in Tri, but I also used SnS. Once Tri G came out I just stuck to ranged weapons.

The problem is probably that collision detection is a lot more complicated underwater, and in Tri and Tri Ultimate it's probably as bad as collision detection was pre-Tri. Also, many people hate swimming and water levels in games because water environments are almost always boring, slo-mo fests.

max_505

Ah, yes. Post some insect staff vids if you guys find one. I've been more interested in that than the charge axe.

Parakeetman

Where can you buy these?

Yeah the chances of you being able to find one in the wild for standard price are next to none. The preorders vanished so fast once it went available.

As the other dude said only will be the scalpers looking to make a quick buck for inflated prices.

Sarcasm

Yeah the chances of you being able to find one in the wild for standard price are next to none. The preorders vanished so fast once it went available.

As the other dude said only will be the scalpers looking to make a quick buck for inflated prices.

Well I do live in Taiwan..maybe I an get lucky ^.^

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The guy streaming earlier used it. Looks very interesting, but he was not precise with it at all, may have some learning curve.

The insect stick is the weapon with the highest learning curve IMO. Other weapons like the Great Sword, etc. kind of offset their learning curve with raw power, but the insect stick is super tricky and requires a lot of micromanagement. You need to be constantly extracting essences from specific parts of monsters to really excel with the weapon.

Meesh

I'm with you, underwater battles added more depth to the game, hope it comes back for later installments.

Top Bottom