• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerity

if you want to practice your guard points, that 5* caravan tigrex is a good place to do it. Doesn't hurt too much, has pitiful hp and charges everywhere. Got a pretty good handle on my sword -> axe GP that way.

Pila

Khezu, I really hate you.

Ahah you're right it's such a pain. ^^

Quick question: I hired a Palico from the wild and it's a support one, I saw it tells me when monsters are ready for the capture. Does it tell me every time? Can I count on it?

Is there a Wycoon upgrade that lets you trade ores? All those rusted and worn weapons take truckloads of earth crystals to upgrade and farming them is such a chore.

Fistwell

Quick question: I hired a Palico from the wild and it's a support one, I saw it tells me when monsters are ready for the capture. Does it tell me every time? Can I count on it?
You mean you actually read what your cat tells you!?! O_O'
I haven't been paying close attention myself, but I wouldn't count on it too much. My support cat has been plenty helpful, spotting monsters on the map, letting me know the paint is coming off, calling out capture readiness, setting up traps, etc. But it's never been very consistent. Sometimes they call it out, sometimes they dont, sometimes they set up a trap, sometimes they don't... They kind of do what they want. Or maybe that's just my green kitty Polka and yours is better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVRC9mv-e0w

fuck me, I've been playing charge blade wrong this entire time

I thought I knew what I was doing. I know nothing. Those guard points! Guard into super bitch slap!

I tend to spam the charge attack in sword mode (with an X between each one) till I have a red shield and 5 rounds in the chamber, then go into axe mode and either do super bitch slap or alternate between X and A attacks so I don't loose the charge.

Can anyone link to a table showing the relative power of the different CB moves? The super bitch slap feels like it should be one of the most powerful attacks in the game but I don't know if its worth the cost of loosing all the charge.

Also, I've been running with 20pts in the artillery skill for most of the game as it improves the impact phial CBs (plus "artillery god" sounds cool) but I don't know how much difference it makes compared with the attack skill or KO skill.

I thought I knew what I was doing. I know nothing. Those guard points! Guard into super bitch slap!

I tend to spam the charge attack in sword mode (with an X between each one) till I have a red shield and 5 rounds in the chamber, then go into axe mode and either do super bitch slap or alternate between X and A attacks so I don't loose the charge.

Can anyone link to a table showing the relative power of the different CB moves? The super bitch slap feels like it should be one of the most powerful attacks in the game but I don't know if its worth the cost of loosing all the charge.

Also, I've been running with 20pts in the artillery skill for most of the game as it improves the impact phial CBs (plus "artillery god" sounds cool) but I don't know how much difference it makes compared with the attack skill or KO skill.

May want to read this: http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/74002794822/mh4-artillery-master-and-charge-axe

Reposting!

Just mine. Starting at Frozen Seaway low rank, you can start getting Armor Sphere+s. High rank and onward for spheres beyond sphere+. Later on you can combine armor stones plus different colored ores to make different kinds, but armor stones aren't exactly common either.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh okay... After I had guild quests explained to me, they did not work as explained, and I thought maybe I didn't really know how they worked. Then I noticed Gaijin Hunter did a tutorial on them...

VodqO7t.jpg
So I was just fucked by that 10% RNG... twice. Nice.

Also the monster earned is not necessarily the one fought, hence why my pool earlier had 5 velocidrome in it. Okay,

It is ridiculous how newcomer unfriendly this game is, yet how friendly it could be if it just explained shit properly. GH is doing the lord's work here.

Tanis

Charge Blade users, I highly recommend this Gaijin Hunter video. It's not the charge blade tutorial. It's a follow up focusing specifically on guard points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPc90az3HC0

Does gaijinhunter work for Capcom or something? If not they should pay him, his promotion of the game is outstanding.

I just heard on the bombcast that he is a guest on the latest 8-4 Play. I haven't listened to them in a while but I'll have to catch this one.

Kinsei

Banned
Charge Blade users, I highly recommend this Gaijin Hunter video. It's not the charge blade tutorial. It's a follow up focusing specifically on guard points:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPc90az3HC0

Just one thing to add to that. The special attack button on the touch screen will do the sword > axe transformation with the guard point. Use that if you don;t have time to do an attack first and you aren't confident enough in your skills to do X+R from a neutral position.

ilium

Does gaijinhunter work for Capcom or something? If not they should pay him, his promotion of the game is outstanding.

I just heard on the bombcast that he is a guest on the latest 8-4 Play. I haven't listened to them in a while but I'll have to catch this one.

he works for disney japan and worked on kingdom hearts and several other games.
there is a poogie costume named avenko (his name is adam avenko)
or it's a default name for palicos, i can't quite remember.

Faiz

Nope. He works for Disney Interactive right now I believe.

Just one thing to add to that. The special attack button on the touch screen will do the sword > axe transformation with the guard point. Use that if you don;t have time to do an attack first and you aren't confident enough in your skills to do X+R from a neutral position.

Another thing to add to that. Setting the Start button to be Kick will make the start button do the same thing, for people who prefer physical buttons.

Isn't just blocking as useful as a guard point a lot of the time? Unless your in axe mode and there's no time to change to sword then block. It's not like a lance counter where you get a hit in as well as blocking, or am I missing something?

Isn't just blocking as useful as a guard point a lot of the time? Unless your in axe mode and there's no time to change to sword then block. It's not like a lance counter where you get a hit in as well as blocking, or am I missing something?

Guard pointing with shield boost gives you a free phial burst at the time of impact, so you deal damage every time you guard point. Guard point guard is also stronger than regular guard, even with guard boost. Finally, guard point can combo directly into what you call super bitch slap, whereas normal guard cannot.

JimPanzer

Guard pointing with shield boost gives you a free phial burst at the time of impact, so you deal damage every time you guard point. Guard point guard is also stronger than regular guard, even with guard boost. Finally, guard point can combo directly into what you call super bitch slap, whereas normal guard cannot.

pretty sure I saw a burst explosion with normal guard too with red shield, maybe I accidentally hit the guard point hm

Oh I see. I thought the normal guard gave some of those benefits too. Thank you!

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
What's some good late village HR armor for a charge blade? I can't decide, so many choices!

lol Charge Blade looks so broken. Does it have any downsides?

i say this primarily as a lance player

When the CB user next to you pulls off the super attack a fraction of a second before you do, so you end up launching into the air instead of pulling off the move you've been building up to. I'm looking at you HerbAlpert lol.

I'd say that out of all the blademaster weapons, it has the most demanding resource management. What I mean is that you can't choose not to do anything with your charge. If you've got full charge and you don't do anything with it, every sword attack bounces off until you do. Sure, it's easy to just reload, but if you've got red shield, and full phials already, you can't help but feel like you're wasting something if you just reload again.

I guess that's not a huge issue, but it's all I can really think of.

ilium

can't help but feel that Bow got the short stick in this game regarding armor skills.
dozens of armor sets with usefull skills for bowguns, but not even a handful for bow. and those that have skills i want also always have tons of bowgun skills that do absolutely nothing for bows.

pellet up for example, which is kind of important if you want to use scatter shot type bows because it increases damage by 30%. awesome!
let's see which armor has that skill... Ex Ingot. ok, so far so good.. the other skills on it? artillery and recoil.
yea, thanks but no thanks.

i know, i know, mix & match. but it's still super frustrating that every useful bow set comes with at least 1 totally useless bowgun skill, while there are so many useful bowgun sets.

the armor skill system by far the weakest part of the franchise imo. :(

bobohoro

I did nothing but Caravan quests until I finished them.

Speaking of which, does anyone want to do the HR1 quests? All of them, not just the key quests.

If you're doing the same for HR2/3 I'd be in. The completionist in me wants to do them all, but some gathering/fishing quests can get pretty tedious alone. :D

Another thing to add to that. Setting the Start button to be Kick will make the start button do the same thing, for people who prefer physical buttons.

This is awesome, thanks! I have been getting better with my R+X lately, but especially online I never dare doing it because I don't want to jeopardize the whole hunting group. This makes things easier.

Just a shame that you cannot use different options for Start/Select.

Faiz

It takes quite a bit to get going and keep in peak condition with regards to energy. It takes some effort to manage well and it can be very easy for the less than nimble-fingered (me) to misfire on a move and completely kill the momentum.

NewGame

Banned
can't help but feel that Bow got the short stick in this game regarding armor skills.
dozens of armor sets with usefull skills for bowguns, but not even a handful for bow. and those that have skills i want also always have tons of bowgun skills that do absolutely nothing for bows.

pellet up for example, which is kind of important if you want to use scatter shot type bows because it increases damage by 30%. awesome!
let's see which armor has that skill... Ex Ingot. ok, so far so good.. the other skills on it? artillery and recoil.
yea, thanks but no thanks.

i know, i know, mix & match. but it's still super frustrating that every useful bow set comes with at least 1 totally useless bowgun skill, while there are so many useful bowgun sets.

I feel the same way but with evade dist+ for HBG. I've got a Normalup+10 Recoil+5 tali rare 10 so I assume theres a Pelletup+10 <skill> +5 floating around for your sake.

Range weapons in monster hunter have always had a large maintainace degree with difficult skills to manage. I sort of wish they would simplify them down a bit or at least make a no-nonsense alternative for ranged. Like a boomerang or something.

ooteeni

Is anybody else getting disconnected all the time, i sometimes make a whole hunt before i get the dreaded error 003-4099. but usually happens half way through.

I have tried two different routers and two different 3DS handhelds and it still happens.

I have setup static IPand DNS with port forwarding setup that nintendo recommends.

But still no luck. Anybody have any ideas or a fix.

Is anybody else getting disconnected all the time, i sometimes make a whole hunt before i get the dreaded error 003-4099. but usually happens half way through.

I have tried two different routers and two different 3DS handhelds and it still happens.

I have setup static IPand DNS with port forwarding setup that nintendo recommends.

Do you know what NAT type you are?

ilium

I feel the same way but with evade dist+ for HBG. I've got a Normalup+10 Recoil+5 tali rare 10 so I assume theres a Pelletup+10 <skill> +5 floating around for your sake.

Range weapons in monster hunter have always had a large maintainace degree with difficult skills to manage. I sort of wish they would simplify them down a bit or at least make a no-nonsense alternative for ranged. Like a boomerang or something.

well, the highest rarity set with pellet up is Seltas Z which comes with:

Crag S+ +15
Pellet Up +10
Destroyer +10
Sheathing +6
Artillery +5
Precision -12

crag s+. totally useless.
destroyer. totally useless, because if i'm using scatter bows i am not trying to break parts ffs!
sheathing. kind of useless, because bow is mobile and you don't really sheath that often.
artillery. useless.

the whole armor system is just a big clusterfuck of nonsense.

I get DC quite often. No error message though, it just says everyone else has left the gathering hall at the same time. At first I was like "was it something I said?".

When the CB user next to you pulls off the super attack a fraction of a second before you do, so you end up launching into the air instead of pulling off the move you've been building up to. I'm looking at you HerbAlpert lol.

hey it happened to me too!
sorry man :(

I have a lot to practice with CB, I still don't master GP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom