• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT| I Mounted It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I practice charge blade guard point (and fail every attempt) I just come to realize watching videos I'm supposed to press R+X at the same time not hold R first then press X as that apparently don't have any guard point at all. Another method is during mid combo doing R+X. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this sooner.

Yep. You can't be in a guard. That would be cheating a bit

Shiina

As I practice charge blade guard point (and fail every attempt) I just come to realize watching videos I'm supposed to press R+X at the same time not hold R first then press X as that apparently don't have any guard point at all. Another method is during mid combo doing R+X. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this sooner.

You either press them at the same time or press X shortly before R, never the other way around. You can also set your start button to kick in the options and then pressing start while using the CB will act like R+X with your 1h+shield out and like R with your axe out.

Pila

still nobody to help me doing some HR5 quests?

I'm HR5 but my spare time is pretty limited, my next online session will be next monday I guess :/ I wish I had more time to play.

Open a room and post here when you have time, people will probably help you out. We have some friendly hunters here on GAF I tell you!

taybul

I used to do that too which is why I now delay my combos if I know an enemy is about to hit me. While my char is suspended in the combo animation I'll quickly hit R+X on the attack. I've also just gotten used to using a regular block when I know I don't have time to morph to get a phial off; it's a lot better than getting hit.

I'm HR5 but my spare time is pretty limited, my next online session will be next monday I guess :/ I wish I had more time to play.

Open a room and post here when you have time, people will probably help you out. We have some friendly hunters here on GAF I tell you!

well, I played with randoms. And they were good! 2 black gravios down!
Now I must stop for the moment, I'll be back in around 4 or 5 hours.

I understand what you feel. This game is crack.

ilium

finally got a seregios lens. (2 actually as usual ._.)
conquerer's seal are from apex monsters right? what do i need to do to get apex quests in the guild hall? clearing all regular G3 quests i assume?

DooD1234

You either press them at the same time or press X shortly before R, never the other way around. You can also set your start button to kick in the options and then pressing start while using the CB will act like R+X with your 1h+shield out and like R with your axe out.
Changing start to kick to do R+X sounds useful. Less likely for me to mess up the timing on R+X. Rarely open up menus during a hunt anyways.

Shengar

finally got a seregios lens. (2 actually as usual ._.)
conquerer's seal are from apex monsters right? what do i need to do to get apex quests in the guild hall? clearing all regular G3 quests i assume?

Get G Rank special permit by defeating Gogmazios I think.

This is some sort of revelation and I think you've changed my life lol. I don't play charge blade as one of my mains but I'm dying to try this out.

Mupod

The only one that I've done that I'd say would need to be toned down if they made it solo only is Dalamadur. That fight relies on you knowing what to do if you want to solo it in a decent amount of time..

I stubbornly got it into my head to try and solo Dalamadur. I actually got pretty damn close before I gave up, and probably could have done it as a blademaster. But the fight is absolutely something designed around multiplayer, like Jhen used to be (binder/gong guy had to be on the ball or the boat was fucked).

I could have saved myself almost 2 hours and a lot of trouble if I'd watched a video instead of throwing myself at him but that's how I roll in MH. Yamatsukami, Ukanlos, Alatreon, Dire Miralis I all had close calls that ended in last minute victories. I came super close on Dalamadur but I was out of ammo and healing stuff by his last phase.

Kinsei

Banned
I stubbornly got it into my head to try and solo Dalamadur. I actually got pretty damn close before I gave up, and probably could have done it as a blademaster. But the fight is absolutely something designed around multiplayer, like Jhen used to be (binder/gong guy had to be on the ball or the boat was fucked).

I could have saved myself almost 2 hours and a lot of trouble if I'd watched a video instead of throwing myself at him but that's how I roll in MH. Yamatsukami, Ukanlos, Alatreon, Dire Miralis I all had close calls that ended in last minute victories. I came super close on Dalamadur but I was out of ammo and healing stuff by his last phase.

I wouldn't say Dalamadur is designed arounf multiplayer (I've done it solo in 25 minutes with rank appropriate gear and getting every break but its chest.). The fight is just so different from everything else in the entire series that it would be straight up unfair if they forced you to solo it.

Shiina

This is some sort of revelation and I think you've changed my life lol. I don't play charge blade as one of my mains but I'm dying to try this out.

I wish you could rebind ZL and ZR to whatever you want. I would love to have my start button there so I'd be able to GP with those keys because the start (and select) keys are positioned too far away to be able to press consistently while fighting.

Juraash

Spent a few moments looking over what I'll be fighting in G2. The keys don't seem...that bad. Of course they put both Gravios in, but otherwise it seems mostly manageable.

The Brachydios/Stygian seems like it could be rough. That being said, I feel like I'll be spending a healthy amount of time in G2 farming upgrades. Probably A.Rath and Diablos at least for armor and Steve for my GS.

Ugh why is there no guild hall white monoblos? Now I have to farm him (and bounce on his horn till it breaks) solo again like I had to do for HR monoblos...

Shengar

Ugh why is there no guild hall white monoblos? Now I have to farm him (and bounce on his horn till it breaks) solo again like I had to do for HR monoblos...

Isn't White Monoblos available for guild quest? If so, you might want to grind for the quest so we can bounce our weapon together.

JudgeN

Is it just me or is there no way to change equipment in the online guild hall? Seems like an odd omission. I hate having to run back to my room to switch me hammers.

w00zey

Once the monster becomes aware of you, you can set it as your lock target.

Is it not available for every monster? For instance I am on a kelbi quiest. but I even tried it once whatever the giant stinger things are started to attack. (sorry If I'm being dense).

Kinsei

Banned
Is it not available for every monster? For instance I am on a kelbi quiest. but I even tried it once whatever the giant stinger things are started to attack. (sorry If I'm being dense).

It only works on bosses, since everything else dies in like 3-4 hits.

Mupod

What's the status LBG of choice in this game? Is Kettleblower back? I loved that thing because it made monsters' lives miserable while annoying my teammates with incessant cat noises.

PrankT

Spent a few moments looking over what I'll be fighting in G2. The keys don't seem...that bad. Of course they put both Gravios in, but otherwise it seems mostly manageable.

The Brachydios/Stygian seems like it could be rough. That being said, I feel like I'll be spending a healthy amount of time in G2 farming upgrades. Probably A.Rath and Diablos at least for armor and Steve for my GS.
Black Gravios is pretty annoying. The fight can be going very well, and then random laser blasts will cart everyone. Brute Tigrex hits like a truck in his quest.

I've mainly been using the regios hunting horn and armor, but will try to make the Diablos armor for a great sword. Looks like the armor skills mesh well with that weapon.

Anyone hone a weapon yet? Initially I thought power is the obvious choice, but defense looks like it can be very useful, and the healing may be great on the hunting horn.

PKrockin

Diablos.... good? Diablos has always and most likely will always be shit.

Honestly I like some of the older monsters more than the their third gen counterparts. Kut-Ku is a nice tutorial without a stupid monster summoning gimmick. Gravios is better than Uragann because you don't have to sit and wait for a stupid spindash to end. Gigginox spent way too much time on the ceiling to be any fun to fight melee. Dire Miralis was somehow even more boring to fight that gen 1 & 2 Fatalis. Barioth was just a crappier Nargacuga. I could keep going on.
I like it when monsters have gimmicks. Things that make them unique and memorable. Qurupeco can call for a monsters, or attempt heals/buffs. You can break his beak to make them backfire or throw a sonic bomb to interrupt it. It has a different tail spin. It spits mucus. It produces fire by clapping together two flints on its wings rather than Yian Kut-Ku spitting fireballs because we need to reuse as much of Rathian's moveset as we can.

It's nice fighting third-generation monsters because each monster feels different. Cephadrome has all the same moves and animations as Plesioth on land except one. Gravios and Monoblos share a bunch of them too. At some point I feel like I'm fighting bite tailspin hipcheck beam monster #3. I don't feel this way fighting Leviathans in 3U. Agnaktor slams the ground with its beak, burrows, and wears armor whereas Lagiacrus focuses on AoE lightning. Lagombi slides around gracefully, rolls snowballs and throws ice, whereas Volvidon bounces and rolls around, slams the ground, has a tongue attack, paralysis breath, and fart gas. Et cetera, et cetera.

I'll take waiting a boring 5-10 seconds for Uragaan to stop spindashing (which by the way is a new move! It's not Gravios's/Monoblos's charge again!) over the 15 boring minutes of fighting Gravios or Khezu. The poor things can hardly even fight back with attacks telegraphed so far in advance. They're lucky they're in a video game, that way the player can get so bored and complacent that they actually get hit a few times.

Isn't White Monoblos available for guild quest? If so, you might want to grind for the quest so we can bounce our weapon together.
I don't know. Fought him in an expedition yesterday but got a black diablos quest out of it. Anyone has a white monoblos they can share with me?

Beats

What's the status LBG of choice in this game? Is Kettleblower back? I loved that thing because it made monsters' lives miserable while annoying my teammates with incessant cat noises.

The Seregios on a boat DLC/Secret Stash event quest lets you make that one. It looks pretty funny lol.

tuffy

Looks like the Kettleblower Deluxe replaces the old Master Kettleblower. Rapid-fires poison 1, para 1 and sleep 1. It surely makes all the same cat yowling noises as before which is half the fun.

So I was farming Purple Gypceros last night with a gaffer (thanks btw), and I'm really getting annoyed with the "fake death" thing. Yes, it's a free carve and hits, but dammit, it unlocks them. That throws me off like crazy!

Airan

I wish more SnS followed Natch Knife design. Big and meaty cleaver with a visible steel edge. Or even a Tetsucabra weapon, the GS and LS ones look cool.

ilium

It seems White Monoblos is solo only for some reason, so we can't bounce our weapon together D:

RH9iFRz.gif

sorry, couldn't resist.

edit: according to this chart white monoblos is a rare monster at certain expeditions.

My brother was playing Tri yesterday (because he doesn't have a 3DS nor PSP) and I realized how much I miss 3rd Gen monsters.

I like Khezu, but Gigginox is infinitely better and way more exciting to fight. Khezu feels like a punchbag you have to be careful every once in a while in order to not get caught in its lightning attack. Gigginox, in the other hand, is way more mobile and has interesting and fun gimmicks.

As much as I like Kut-Ku and the memories of being triple carted by it in MH1, Qurupeco is way, way, way better. Besides being a completely different monster with unique animations and attacks (unlike Kut-ku being a watered-down Rathian), Qurupeco brings more monsters into the mix and it feels great to kill the monster it called!

Some monsters could have benefited from the new mobility enhancements and the new terrain design (Nargacuga, Barioth), and others could have been in the game without been modified at all (Nibelsnarf, Volvidon, Arzuros, Akantor). Hell, Royal Ludroth was in P3rd, and there wasn't underwater fighting in there!

I know it may be a controversial opinion, but I really, really hope they bring back underwater hunts in MH5. Maybe they would need to refine the controls a little bit more (I never had a problem underwater, but it's a common complaint), but imagine fighting vertically, horizontally AND underwater! Imagine the potential of a new, "all-terrain" flagship Elder Dragon!

Mupod

My brother was playing Tri yesterday (because he doesn't have a 3DS nor PSP) and I realized how much I miss 3rd Gen monsters.

I like Khezu, but Gigginox is infinitely better and way more exciting to fight. Khezu feels like a punchbag you have to be careful every once in a while in order to not get caught in its lightning attack. Gigginox, in the other hand, is way more mobile and has interesting and fun gimmicks.

As much as I like Kut-Ku and the memories of being triple carted by it in MH1, Qurupeco is way, way, way better. Besides being a completely different monster with unique animations and attacks (unlike Kut-ku being a watered-down Rathian), Qurupeco brings more monsters into the mix and it feels great to kill the monster it called!

Some monsters could have benefited from the new mobility enhancements and the new terrain design (Nargacuga, Barioth), and others could have been in the game without been modified at all (Nibelsnarf, Volvidon, Arzuros, Akantor). Hell, Royal Ludroth was in P3rd, and there wasn't underwater fighting in there!

I know it may be a controversial opinion, but I really, really hope they bring back underwater hunts in MH5. Maybe they would need to refine the controls a little bit more (I never had a problem underwater, but it's a common complaint), but imagine fighting vertically, horizontally AND underwater! Imagine the potential of a new, "all-terrain" flagship Elder Dragon!

Well I have some good news for you at least

That won't be a problem anymore now that I've discovered the wonders of a hunting horn that gives wind resist :3

Does that work? Played with another Gaf member from here that tried that I think, and I still got pushed back from Kusha's wind (was a Rusted one IIRC). I could be remembering it wrong though.

Leezard

Does that work? Played with another Gaf member from here that tried that I think, and I still got pushed back from Kusha's wind (was a Rusted one IIRC). I could be remembering it wrong though.

It might work against some winds on Kusha (maybe the white ones?), but not all of Kusha's wind. The black ones did push me back despite that hunting horn wind resist, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom