• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shengar

After dozens of retry because of my inexperienced use of hammer, I managed to get the bug working. Mining invisible nodes ahoy!
And damn, hitting monster head with hammer is so satisfying.
I believe I got one from a G-Rank expedition.
No, that is great elder bug or something something, different feom elder butterfly beetle.

1. Guild quests.

Could you elaborate a little bit? I know almost nothing about expedition quests. For example, I don't know what the level thresholds are for the monsters (when does something become high rank or G-Rank) or what kind of charms/armor spheres I can get from mining in those areas.

So, Deviljho can appear as the main monster or do I have to eat Game Changer? Also, I was under the impression Savage Deviljho won't be available until DLC later on?

What is it about the Seregios LBG that you like?
I only ask because, while the gimmick is kind of neat, its practicality isn't very large. The clip sizes for the shots it Rapid Fires are really small, so while you're dodging it's OK, while you're just laying it on the monster (which happens a lot), it's really frustrating to have to reload or sidestep and ruin your shot against the weak spots. There are other LBGs that do what Seregios one does, but have much larger clip sizes.

I'm open to suggestions! :) There are some enemies (e.g., Khezu) that I just want to gun down, and I was wondering if there was an LBG that I could rely on for most quests. If this is like 3U, then I'll eventually want a bow for each elemental type but, for now, I need something that'll help me farm for those weapons.

VICI0US

Wow, this is great advice, thanks! I never would have thought about Mosswine, but that makes perfect sense.

I've been wanting to get the Plum Hermitaur armor, and I've done a boat load of quests (including regular crab), but his quest to fight him still isn't unlocked! It gives Guts, which prevents those tricksy 1-shot moves.

I've been getting a lot better at dodging and evasion invulnerability and stuff. So far it hasn't been too bad. That darn 2x Cephadrome quest is kicking my butt for some reason though... I never had a problem with him in High Rank, but I keep dying and have no clue what's killing me.

in G rank you unlock half the group of quests initially and then the second half after completing the first several key quests.

you should be able to unlock the plum hermitaur (and the other half of G1 quests) by completing:

Sculptural Seltas
Seeing Spots
Berserker Rage
Line in the Sand
Fashion Victim

Mupod

Can someone give me some advice around skills? It seems like a lot of micromanaging required to go through every piece of equipment which can be forged or bought to make sure stats add up to 10.

I've been playing 37 hrs in without bothering but feel now is the time.

Until you know what you're doing it's quite fine to just stick with full sets. If you're ever curious there's lots of people here with good ideas for recommendations.

For specific mixed sets people often use tools like Athena's Armor Set Search. It's more of an endgame tool, and not that necessary in low rank.

I'm old fashioned and I start building my sets by just glancing at the skills on armor pieces. Kiranico makes it easier. I look at pieces to try and pick out which ones would be good in mixed sets and then go from there. For example if a helmet has +4 in a useful skill (say, Evasion) and 3 slots I start thinking about how to build an armor set around it.

Shengar

Can someone give me some advice around skills? It seems like a lot of micromanaging required to go through every piece of equipment which can be forged or bought to make sure stats add up to 10.

It doesn't really requires micromanaging if you use a complete set of armor since they'll give you a certain of activated skills. Tetsucabra armor for example, wearing the fullset will grant you Defense Up (s) and Health +50 IIRC. ThOse mixmatching, adding point from every piece of equipment is end game stuff to gain godly skills.

So I ended up making the lava armor and gemmed in destroyer + artillery nub and I like it so far. Though I'm personally hoping to get a guard charm that has artillery and more than 1 slot xD

Juraash

Would anybody be interested in helping to level one of my guild quests for Divine Armor Spheres?

I have that are closest to the needed level:

- Lv. 98 Yian Garuga, S. Axe/C.Blade/L.Glaive, Tri Series C (Chest)
- Lv. 98 Gore Magala, Great Sword/Long Sword, Tri Series E (Waist)
- Lv. 118 Chamelios, Great Sword/Long Sword, Freedom Series B (Arms)

I was given some other cool monsters but they are much lower level.

EDIT: NEvermind. I'll just do some keys with randoms.

I'm at work now, but would you be willing to share the Gore quest at some point in the near future? I'd like one with a bias that's useful to me.

Leezard

Haven't fought Furious yet, but another option for breaking parts is a LBG with rapid fire Crag shots. If I ever need a part broken, those are always the ones to do it.
Yeah, crag should work fine as well, and you won't have to have an as specialized armor /weapon.
Could you elaborate a little bit? I know almost nothing about expedition quests. For example, I don't know what the level thresholds are for the monsters (when does something become high rank or G-Rank) or what kind of charms/armor spheres I can get from mining in those areas.

So, Deviljho can appear as the main monster or do I have to eat Game Changer? Also, I was under the impression Savage Deviljho won't be available until DLC later on?

I'm open to suggestions! :) There are some enemies (e.g., Khezu) that I just want to gun down, and I was wondering if there was an LBG that I could rely on for most quests. If this is like 3U, then I'll eventually want a bow for each elemental type but, for now, I need something that'll help me farm for those weapons.
Deviljho can appear as the main monster.

If you just want a general weapon then hbg might be more useful. Khezu is weak to fire though, so a fire lbg makes him easy.

taybul

Generally it's safe to stick with an armor set and not worry about counting points. Even with a full set there may not be enough points to activate a certain skill but that's where decorations and talismans come in. If you want to target a specific set of skills then you could use the Athena tool or kiranico but it's a lot harder to achieve early on. You might also want to take advantage of items that give Torso Up skill. I think you first start seeing them in leg pieces.

in G rank you unlock half the group of quests initially and then the second half after completing the first several key quests.

you should be able to unlock the plum hermitaur (and the other half of G1 quests) by completing:

Sculptural Seltas
Seeing Spots
Berserker Rage
Line in the Sand
Fashion Victim

Oh sweet, all I need then is Line in the Sand. I looked everywhere and couldn't figure out why it wasn't showing up.

I'd recommend the Rathling Gun line. It doesn't have Slicing shot, but it has good damage and rapid fires Normal 2 (awesome), Crag (very awesome, and Flaming, which is a weakness to some tough guys (and Kehzu!)
Another recommendation would be the Blue Shooter line. Its rapid fire of Normal 2s shoots 4 shots instead of 3 - it holds you in place a little longer, but one shell will give you 2.8x damage if you land them all. It also has Pierce and Exhaust, which are useful.

I don't want to say Seregios gun is terrible or anything, but if you're playing online, you'll be really missing the ability to just lay it on the enemy without dodging around (assuming you get that opportunity).

I had a good night last night just jumping rooms. Did the Seregios and Los quest and carved 2 lens' from Seregios. Then in another room I carved a Skyemerald an received another one in the rewards along with 2 Jaspers in the same rewards screen. It was a good night.

Trapping and bombing is the best/easiest way to get feelers. My first goal once I reached him was to farm for his bow, and I needed two feelers for that, so I know exactly what you are experiencing right now.

After getting the bow, I decided to go for his full armor and the most difficult part for me to get by far was his Plate. I had to kill him ~12 times to get one plate. By that time I had plenty of everything else, feelers included. Well, it was also kind of hard for me to get his tail as an archer, but I was able to cut his tail on the one attempt where I went for it.

How does bombing work for those? Do I use it like a paintball and just throw it at him when he is trapped?

TheGrue

I had been reading online about expeditions and supposedly from the strategy guide if you kill 2 monsters or get 6 drops, you have a 100% chance of getting a guild quest. I just ran an HR expedition and I killed 3 monsters and had 6 drops. I got no guild quests. What gives? Is the strategy guide wrong?

tuffy

How does bombing work for those? Do I use it like a paintball and just throw it at him when he is trapped?
Lay the bomb right in the middle of a pitfall trap. When a monster gets stuck in it, shoot the bomb to set it off and trigger a nice explosion all over its face.

60 hours in, all offline in the caravan. Finally hit my first wall at the Pink Rathian. So I figured it's time to upgrade my gore/ceanataur mixed armor set... except that all of the mats for better armor come AFTER Pink Rathian, or are locked in Caravan 6* quests that require HR4+ online. I am still finding it very strange that they lock offline high rank monsters behind online HR requirements.

Anyway, I got online for a couple hours last night and made it to about the middle of HR2. I feel totally overpowered, fighting these HR1 and HR2 monsters online. I suppose I am carrying the randoms I'm playing with, helping them get their key quests done. It's strange to see randoms getting carted to these HR1 monsters. When I get hit I barely take any damage. My armor is in the high 200's, I can't seem to farm for Hard Armor Spheres yet.

At least it looks like it will go quickly so I can get to high rank online to unlock the quests I need to farm for high rank armor and weapons.

60 hours in, all offline in the caravan. Finally hit my first wall at the Pink Rathian. So I figured it's time to upgrade my gore/ceanataur mixed armor set... except that all of the mats for better armor come AFTER Pink Rathian, or are locked in Caravan 6* quests that require HR4+ online. I am still finding it very strange that they lock offline high rank monsters behind online HR requirements.

Anyway, I got online for a couple hours last night and made it to about the middle of HR2. I feel totally overpowered, fighting these HR1 and HR2 monsters online. I suppose I am carrying the randoms I'm playing with, helping them get their key quests done. It's strange to see randoms getting carted to these HR1 monsters. When I get hit I barely take any damage. My armor is in the high 200's, I can't seem to farm for Hard Armor Spheres yet.

At least it looks like it will go quickly so I can get to high rank online to unlock the quests I need to farm for high rank armor and weapons.
Monsters do the same amount of damage to you in offline and online. What changes is how much damage you do to them. It's less and they have more hit points.

If you get negate poison skill and use flash bombs effectively, you can probably get over the pink rathian wall

Valus

Finally finished up my first G rank armor set yesterday.

Right now I'm in limbo as for what skills I want, so atm I have:

Mind's Eye
Tremor Res
Sharpness +1
Tenderizer
Critical Eye +3
Attack Up (S)

I have almost 700 defense, which feels good. Still get hit like a truck in some cases...so I am considering going super defense mode and get the 3 divine blessings combo. They stack, right?

I decided I needed to do some charm farming, so I made the Hawk X set and gemmed it so I have Gathering +2 and Charmer God. Plus looking like the Caravaneer is awesome. It is a good stepping stone set until I get that felyne bandana thing, in which case I will have both Gathering God and Charmer God.

Depending on what charms I get this week, my set will probably change.

Monsters do the same amount of damage to you in offline and online. What changes is how much damage you do to them. It's less and they have more hit points.

If you get negate poison skill and use flash bombs effectively, you can probably get over the pink rathian wall

How/when do you use flash bombs? I tried that and I never seemed to be able to knock them out of the air...

Lay the bomb right in the middle of a pitfall trap. When a monster gets stuck in it, shoot the bomb to set it off and trigger a nice explosion all over its face.

So I haven't really used anything other than longsword...is there a way to do it with a longsword?

Mupod

So I haven't really used anything other than longsword...is there a way to do it with a longsword?

I always use paintballs. Stones work but it's not like I carry those around.

Can also drop a small barrel bomb, they self-detonate after a couple seconds.

How/when do you use flash bombs? I tried that and I never seemed to be able to knock them out of the air...

The bomb needs to explode in front of their face (unlike something like Gypceros, whose flash gets you even if you're looking away). It takes a bit of practice to get used to the distance, but the game is pretty generous about what qualifies as "in front of their face".

Venfayth

I've maxed out a set of Velociprey armor as much as Armor Sphere +'s will take it, I think level 5. I've got a Wyvern Blade "Fall" longsword and I want to go for a Dios Katana next. I'm about half way through the 5 star village quests.

Do I need to make new armor? Will the attack skills on my armor ever get higher? I've put all Psychic decorations in my armor and I have a +6 Psychic talisman, so I've got Autotracker which is super nice.

I did a rare expedition for a Gore Magala and it ran away. I was fighting it the whole time, got knocked out once, fought some more, and it just took off in the middle of the battle and the game said it got away. How do I prevent that? Just kill it faster?

My weapon does fire damage. Is it worth making a second Longsword that has a different element?

Sorry for all the questions. If anyone takes the time to answer, thanks :)

Mzo

I've maxed out a set of Velociprey armor as much as Armor Sphere +'s will take it, I think level 5. I've got a Wyvern Blade "Fall" longsword and I want to go for a Dios Katana next. I'm about half way through the 5 star village quests.

Do I need to make new armor? Will the attack skills on my armor ever get higher? I've put all Psychic decorations in my armor and I have a +6 Psychic talisman, so I've got Autotracker which is super nice.

I did a rare expedition for a Gore Magala and it ran away. I was fighting it the whole time, got knocked out once, fought some more, and it just took off in the middle of the battle and the game said it got away. How do I prevent that? Just kill it faster?

My weapon does fire damage. Is it worth making a second Longsword that has a different element?

IMO armor doesn't matter until G rank. If I feel like I'm taking too much damage, I make whatever the highest defense parts I can with what's at hand from previous hunts. The crappiest bhanabra G rank set has way more defense than some of the best high rank armors.

The skills I really care about as a GS user are hard to come by until G rank anyway.

Weapons definitely matter, though. Look up weapon trees online and keep them updated. You will absolutely need other elements (or at least a high damage sword) when fighting monsters.

Play online as well. Monsters die so much faster in a group when they only look at you 1/4 of the time and when 4 people get to DPS them after they get mounted.

Yeah, you'd have to kill the monsters faster in an expedition to get them to stay.

Mupod

I think the most important armor skill in low rank is autotracker, lol. Saves so much time finding monsters at the start of quests, obviously not useful once you know the game more but I'm not gonna carry around a sheet that shows me where monsters spawn and flee to.

I just got to HR7 and fought both Akantor and Rajang. As a GS user (this is my first MH game to really push forward), I'm wondering if MH-GAF can offer their opinions.

I have a Rath Soul set with FastCharge due to a neat talisman I picked up, but seeing Lagiacruz Armor...hmm...

Akantor armor looks so badass, but the whole set requires everything to synergize and I was wondering if that will be good enough to squash through HR7 on the way to G rank...?

Mupod

I just got to HR7 and fought both Akantor and Rajang. As a GS user (this is my first MH game to really push forward), I'm wondering if MH-GAF can offer their opinions.

I have a Rath Soul set with FastCharge due to a neat talisman I picked up, but seeing Lagiacruz Armor...hmm...

Akantor armor looks so badass, but the whole set requires everything to synergize and I was wondering if that will be good enough to squash through HR7 on the way to G rank...?

You're practically done with high rank, but if you really want to get it, no reason to rush. I dicked around for a long time and made a Dahren Mohran/Silver Rathalos set for fun. Rath Soul is more than enough for what you need to do though.

OmegaZero

You'll probably want to make a new set of armor for High Rank but your current set will do for a good amount of quests. Velociprey S and Tetsucabra S are common choices. Armor skills are always static, upgrades only affect defense.

Yep, gotta kill it faster. Gore Magala is weak against fire, but mainly when you're hitting parts of his body weak to that element. If you don't want to worry about researching all of that, just go for a longsword with high raw. I recommend the Tetsucabra line, just be aware that they have low sharpness at first.

If you want to maximize your damage, you'll want a longsword of each element but anything with high raw will get you through Low Rank and even High Rank.

No problem, hopefully I addressed everything.

w00zey

Yeah he can be really difficult. I received some advice in terms of standing at his hind legs whenever possible.

I saw this and just attempted it. I think I button mash way too much and need to just hit once or twice and get ready to roll. One problem I seem to have is using any item be it the nullberry or first aid just seems to take so long that I have trouble recouping.

Tom_Cody

As Tuffy said, they are set on the ground, not thrown.

I personally always use the following sequence: trap (or put it to sleep) → run up to the monster's head → lay 1 Barrel Bomb L+, 1 Barrel Bomb L, and 1 Barrel Bomb S+ → run away and watch the explosion. Barrel Bomb S and Barrel Bomb S+ have fuses, so either type is capable of detonating the stack.

I carry 2 each of the bombs with me in my primary item set so I can do two full bombing runs in a single hunt (only used when necessary). I have the items arranged in my pouch in sequence so I can cycle through them as quickly as possible once the monster is trapped/sleeping.

OmegaZero

I saw this and just attempted it. I think I button mash way too much and need to just hit once or twice and get ready to roll. One problem I seem to have is using any item be it the nullberry or first aid just seems to take so long that I have trouble recouping.

You can always run out of the area to heal but if you can't, his triple projectile attack is a reliable opening to heal up.

Tom_Cody

Gore Magala caravan quest is absolutely murdering me in the quest to kill it :(

I'm new to the series and Gore was my first wall as well. A few basic tips:

-As Warrior_Keoni said, in general try to stay behind his hind legs. Also be aware that Gore is 'blind' so there are lots of moments when you can attack it without really being threatened. The key to the fight is figuring out these moments and taking advantage of them. Know when to attack and when to evade.

-Be aware of the difference between his rage mode (or whatever) when his purple horns are out versus his default behavior. This should be pretty obvious but I didn't understand this at first. His aggressiveness is totally different. It feels like two separate fights.

-The easiest method to get him out of his rage mode is to trap him and to bomb his head. Look for other posts about this on this page.

-Regarding the general issue of using items, this is something you will have to learn in order to advance further in the game. In general you are made vulnerable when using items. You will have to get used to the rhythm of 1) finding a safe moment/position 2) putting your weapon away 3) finding another safe moment 4) using the item/items. Or at least this is what I have to do as a bow user. As I said above relating to attacking, Gore gives you lots of safe moments, you just need to get used to his movements/timing.

Leezard

What is G rank? Or even high rank.. :X Do I have a rank? I'm doing the 5 star village quests

You get to high rank in 7 star village quests, which includes new monsters and stronger versions of monsters you have faced before in low rank. G rank is essentially the same but with respect to high rank.

jorgejjvr

What is G rank? Or even high rank.. :X Do I have a rank? I'm doing the 5 star village quests

When old monsters have more HP and damage and you're introduced to even more new monsters and subspecies. For example, in high rank you'll be introduced to the pink rathian. High rank begins at 7 star caravan and HR4, while G rank is only a few 9 and 10 star caravan quests and after the Ukanlos urgent (after HR8).

-Alternis

Top Bottom