• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

w00zey

You can always run out of the area to heal but if you can't, his triple projectile attack is a reliable opening to heal up.

Holy shit I did it!!

I know this sounds dumb but leaving the area was some good damn advice. I always worried they would be healing in that time.

How/when do you use flash bombs? I tried that and I never seemed to be able to knock them out of the air...

The bomb needs to explode in front of their face (unlike something like Gypceros, whose flash gets you even if you're looking away). It takes a bit of practice to get used to the distance, but the game is pretty generous about what qualifies as "in front of their face".

Also I forget that I've been SUPER spoiled by playing SNS for most of the game. Forget a 'bit' of practice, it will take a LOT of practice to know when to throw a flash bomb, sheathe your weapon, get in position, and throw a flash bomb at the right time and place.

Sometimes I sheathe my weapon and run around waiting for the 'right time' and waste soooo much time waiting that it's not worth it.

but yeah imagine a monster has a cone of vision in front of it like Metal Gear solid and have the flash bomb explode inside that cone. (it's more like almost a full 180 degrees, as long as it's in front of their face and not too far away)

first you can just learn how to throw it so they get blinded, even on the ground it makes most monsters easier to deal with and predictable. then you can learn how to time it so it knocks them out of the air.

still one of my favorite things to do in this game is to sonic bomb diablos when he digs underground, beat on him, and throw a flash bomb as he flies up out of the sonic bomb, and beat on him some more. (then mount him, then lay a pitfall at his feet, then flash him as he flies out the pitfall >_>)

OmegaZero

On a related note to the bombing talk, I've just gotten into Stylish Bombing and it is pretty damn fun. Who needs to flash bomb Los when you can explode him out of the air?

EDIT:
Holy shit I did it!!

I know this sounds dumb but leaving the area was some good damn advice. I always worried they would be healing in that time.

Monsters only heal up when they fall asleep (though certain monsters can heal themselves with certain moves). But yeah, getting out of there is always a valid option, allowing you to take a breather, sharpen, and prepare to counter attack.
If you're close enough, running back to camp and taking a nap on the bed will heal you up to full (and remove status ailments IIRC).

Oh wow so going to the next area and me slowly getting there doesn't do it? I really need ot understand patience it seems.
Monsters change maps for a variety of reasons. You should take your time to heal up and sharpen weapons as well as any other prep before following them to the next area. The only time it feels worth it to rush after them is if they left to eat something. If they're exhausted (drooling) they suck at are easier to fight, but if they go to another area to eat something, they're regain stamina from eating and won't be exhausted anymore.
Thanks. Another newb question but you had mentioned using traps mid fight. Is this pretty common to use a trap just to slow the fight? I am only really using them when they are asleep to try and trap them.
It is a perfectly valid tactic. Just the time to lay down a trap you could get hurt, and the time to lure them into a trap you could just be fighting them, and the cost of the trap are all annoyances as to why some choose not to do it. But traps just to attack a monster is a fine strategy.

I use it when I really want to lay some barrel bombs down and get good damage in (and blow up something on their head). Others use it to keep the monster in place to cut off their tail or bash their horn/head.

OmegaZero

at evasion +2 I still can't roll correctly out of the barrel explosion (but still worth it)

My set uses Evasion +1, it's really about waiting half a second before rolling. Don't roll immediately and you should be fine. I still mess up during tense moments since the tempation to dodge is so strong. >_>

EDIT:
Thanks. Another newb question but you had mentioned using traps mid fight. Is this pretty common to use a trap just to slow the fight? I am only really using them when they are asleep to try and trap them.

Using traps mid-fight helps you lock down a monster when you otherwise might have a more difficult time dealing with it. An example mentioned that works with Rathalos and Rathian is using a Pitfall Trap, wailing on them, then turning around and using a flash bomb to knock them out of the air for another free attack chance. Some monsters are immune or resistant to certain traps, while others are more vulnerable to said traps. When a monster is tired (you can see it drooling), they get stuck in traps for longer periods of time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
If the monster is limping and going to see, it's always worth it to let it go to sleep so that your attack upon awake up will do massive damage. Don't rush into the area, just take a moment and relax.

Mupod

What is G rank? Or even high rank.. :X Do I have a rank? I'm doing the 5 star village quests

Think of them like difficulties in a Diablo game. Low is normal, high is nightmare, G is hell. Except it's not quite the same and each difficulty expands on the content available.

The original release of MH4 (and other mainline MH games) included low rank and high rank. Once you clear low rank you get into high rank which has stronger versions of the older monsters, as well as many new monsters and subspecies. Some monsters gain new moves, most are faster and hit harder. The materials you get in high rank are used for all new armor sets, weapons, and upgrades for low rank weapons.

G rank was added to this game, which is a standalone expansion of MH4. It's another difficulty level above high rank, with even more new monsters and subspecies. Monsters gain more new moves, and of course the equipment is much more powerful and varied.

The Caravan story progresses through low rank, then you beat the 'final boss' and the vanilla MH4 singleplayer content ends. From there you move on to the high rank content which has its own story and end boss. The story stuff stops there but you unlock some more G level quests by doing the online 'guildhall' missions.

Guildhall stuff is separate and is where your hunter rank (different from low, high and G ranks) comes into play. You raise that rank by doing guildhall quests and it determines which quests you can do. It's roughly equivalent to the caravan star ratings, at least until G rank where it serves a different purpose. Worry about that later though.

Highwind

zlCfzTJdVVsbRq9hXM

zlCfzTJdW84nG1fhw3

Finally completed a version of this set that as sharpness +1 (but lacks evasion +1 ;-;).

The other version had Attack UP XL and Evasion +1.

To make it you'll need a Handicraft +5 OOO charm.

Demoli

So, how do you get G rank apex quests? I only have the Seregios and the Rajang and apparently scrolls don't give you anymore.

do they unlock once you do other quests or what?

w00zey

Using traps mid-fight helps you lock down a monster when you otherwise might have a more difficult time dealing with it. An example mentioned that works with Rathalos and Rathian is using a Pitfall Trap, wailing on them, then turning around and using a flash bomb to knock them out of the air for another free attack chance. Some monsters are immune or resistant to certain traps, while others are more vulnerable to said traps. When a monster is tired (you can see it drooling), they get stuck in traps for longer periods of time.

Should I start using flash bombs a lot more often? To this point I haven't really used them at all.

Been seriously going back and forth debating whether Lagia armor is better versus Rath Soul.

I think with a GS, the DPS increase (as a friend told me) would be gemming CritDraw in, hit and run, rinse and repeat.

Iryx

So, how do you get G rank apex quests? I only have the Seregios and the Rajang and apparently scrolls don't give you anymore.

do they unlock once you do other quests or what?

I think they unlock by hunting enough of the monster, I believe need like 10 Diablos for that quest and 30ish Zinogre/ Najarala kills for their Apex quests.

Should I start using flash bombs a lot more often? To this point I haven't really used them at all.

Against Rathian and Rathalos, it'd be a good idea to get used to using them. They're not mega-important in Low Rank, but if you get good with them it'll really help you in High Rank. You'll be fighting harder members of the Rath family, and Flash Bombing becomes almost a necessity.

zlCfzTJdVVsbRq9hXM

zlCfzTJdW84nG1fhw3

Finally completed a version of this set that as sharpness +1 (but lacks evasion +1 ;-;).

To make it you'll need a Handicraft +5 OOO charm.

That's my current armor set but with attack up M and critical eye +3 and no sharpness +1. I don't have any handicraft charms :(. In fact, my best charm is still a timeworn charm with expert +8 and 1 slot.

I'm assuming you don't farm wycoon multiply materials enough to have lots and lots of flash bombs. So I'd say to be conservative and save them for (any color) rathlos fight, and rathian fights you expect to be difficult

Highwind

That's my current armor set but with attack up M and critical eye +3 and no sharpness +1. I don't have any handicraft charms :(. In fact, my best charm is still a timeworn charm with expert +8 and 1 slot.

D: Only that? While it's better than having no decent charms but if that was still my best I'd probably dedicate an entire day to charm farming/high level (130+) guild quests. Gotten quite a few gems from doing those.

Should count myself lucky I got quite a few good charms for these sets (still want a better handicraft charm though :p).

Mupod

They're good to have. I keep 5 in my main item sets just in case. Their primary use is getting flying monsters to fall out of the air.

I like to use them for getting monsters off my back when I want to carve a tail or heal or something. Some monsters when flashed just spin in place or spam taunts, so it's easy damage. But some monsters go completely ape shit when you use one so it's not always a good idea. Don't flash bomb Rajang.

OmegaZero

Early on, don't worry about it too much (except for the aforementioned Rathalos maybe). Just make sure to use your Wycoon to keep making more materials (e.g. Flashbugs for flash bombs, Honey for Mega Potions) so that you'll have a nice stack or two to use when you really need them.

Later on when monsters hit harder, Flash bombs will become more useful for stunning them so you can take a breather or interrupt an attack (e.g. Zinogre gathering thunder energy can be stopped with flash bombs, Tigrex becomes much less mobile when blinded, ect). Rathalos and his various subspecies in particular will fly around for a good chunk of the fight, making flash bombs almost necessary for blademasters who don't want to waste time.

EDIT: ^^^ Also as Mupod points out, flashbombing certain monsters makes them more unpredictable, so don't spam them. Save them for instances that you can take advantage of.

Got a question:

I've been doing the G2 Key Quests on and off lately and I have

Course Correction, The Azure King and the Tyrant, Beast Not Quite Busted, and How To Zap Your Zinogre done but the only other Key quests that I can join are Temper Tantrum. Pestering Pest and Brute Force aren't appearing for whatever reason. Anyone know why that is? Kiranico doesn't show that they have any prereqs...

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
They're good to have. I keep 5 in my main item sets just in case. Their primary use is getting flying monsters to fall out of the air.

I like to use them for getting monsters off my back when I want to carve a tail or heal or something. Some monsters when flashed just spin in place or spam taunts, so it's easy damage. But some monsters go completely ape shit when you use one so it's not always a good idea. Don't flash bomb Rajang.

Rajang seems to have uncanny knack for knowing exactly where hunters are while he's blinded and moves at like twice the speed. I don't know how he does it, but it fucking sucks.

Pierate

Just crafted my first (early) high rank set:

Jaggi S helm, faulds and greaves. Velociprey S mail and braces.
2x grinder gems and 2x attack gems, this gives me attack up medium, speed sharpen, halve stun and 2 free slots. Havent found anything better then the auto guard talisman so im using that for now.
Hopefully this should last me a bit into high rank.

Prototype

No matter what set I make I keep going back to Lagiacrus X. For both its skills and looks. It's pretty much the perfect set for GS imo.

The 1 thing it's missing is HG ears tho. And that is a skill I hate not having.

I have a few variations of it but my general purpose set is
Crit draw
Focus
Quick sheathe
Weakness Exploit
Awaken (for paralyze or fire)
Divine Blessing.

The problem is getting HG ears on it and still having room for another skill.

What's the highest hearing charm? Is there like a 6 ooo?

Ken

https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzTJdVVsbRq9hX

[img]https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/zlCfzTJdW84nG1

To make it you'll need a Handicraft +5 OOO charm.[/QUOTE]

Should just make a Honed Blade set. Outside of fashion hunter, 30 points into the same thing is bleh.

Edit: that was weird. I posted and my internet ate my post so it looked like my posts didn't go through.

D: Only that? While it's better than having no decent charms but if that was still my best I'd probably dedicate an entire day to charm farming/high level (130+) guild quests. Gotten quite a few gems from doing those.

Should count myself lucky I got quite a few good charms for these sets (still want a better handicraft charm though :p).

But charm farming is boring :p. I just mine during hunts and hope for the best.

Ken

No matter what set I make I keep going back to Lagiacrus X. For both its skills and looks. It's pretty much the perfect set for GS imo.

The 1 thing it's missing is HG ears tho. And that is a skill I hate not having.

I have a few variations of it but my general purpose set is
Crit draw
Focus
Quick sheathe
Weakness Exploit
Awaken (for part or fire)
Divine Blessing.

The problem is getting HG ears on it and still having room for another skill.

What's the highest hearing charm? Is there like a 6 ooo?

Graven charms have a max of 8 hearing and the ooo. Enduring has a max of 6.

OmegaZero

Been seriously going back and forth debating whether Lagia armor is better versus Rath Soul.

I think with a GS, the DPS increase (as a friend told me) would be gemming CritDraw in, hit and run, rinse and repeat.

Yes, Crit Draw is one of the best end-game GS skills. With end-game high-raw swords, the damage you can do with Crit Draw will outdo Attack Up XL.

Highwind

Should just make a Honed Blade set. Outside of fashion hunter, 30 points into the same thing is bleh.

Edit: that was weird. I posted and my internet ate my post so it looked like my posts didn't go through.

Already have some honed blade sets but I like the look of this so I wanted sharpness +1 on it. :p

Prototype

Yes, Crit Draw is one of the best end-game GS skills. With end-game high-raw swords, the damage you can do with Crit Draw will outdo Attack Up XL.
This is true. And Crit Draw is amazing. There is no arguing that.

But.....

Many times, on end game hunts you may find yourself in prolonged lock down situations, where the monster is immobile for long periods of time. If you know you'll be going into a hunt like this it's not a terrible idea to have a secondary set made for these circumstances. With your weapon drawn for long periods time skills like focus, critical eye, Attack up, and potentially weakness exploit (among others) will allow your charged hits and final smashes to do more damage and maybe even crit themselves.

Just food for thought.

In my recent 140GQ grinding sessions, I've been using sets without crit draw and replacing it with skills above to pretty good effect. Again, this depends on the crew you have and if the chain trap, status abuse, ect for maximum damage, so ymmv.

jorgejjvr

So I just made my new set, what do you guys think?

Honed Blade (Sharpness +1 and AuL)
Challenger +2
Razor Sharp
Elemental attack up

I think it's a pretty great set for only four skills, but would it be better than my Uka Uka U set which has:

Mind's eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit
Tremor res
Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering

Which set should I use/is better?

-Alternis

thefil

Can anyone recommend a 3DS XL (original, not New) grip? After seeing the posts here about them it seems like an obvious buy since I only use mine at home.

Ken

So I just made my new set, what do you guys think?

Honed Blade (Sharpness +1 and AuL)
Challenger +2
Razor Sharp
Elemental attack up

I think it's a pretty great set for only four skills, but would it be better than my Uka Uka U set which has:

Mind's eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit
Tremor res
Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering

Which set should I use/is better?

-Alternis

The first set is cookie cutter high DPS template but the second gets points for speed gathering so probably the second.

Ultrabum

Fashion Huntersssss.

I really want to use Gogma set for the looks but the lack of any synergy in the skills is annoying.

I have the gogma set. The synergy with the schwartschild (sp?) charge blade is crazy good.

Awaken para souped up. Impact with artillery. It's so good.

Ken

I have the gogma set. The synergy with the schwartschild (sp?) charge blade is crazy good.

Awaken para souped up. Impact with artillery. It's so good.

I don't use CBs!

But I guess I'll have to as an excuse to wear Gogma.

From March 28th through August 10th, the popular Goliath “hypercoaster” at Six Flags Magic Mountain will be transformed into a Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate ride. For the opening weekend festivities, the national Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate Caravan Tour will also be at Six Flags Magic Mountain for special event days this Saturday and Sunday.

“With the Six Flags partnership, the game will come to life with one dedicated passenger train of the Goliath coaster custom-skinned to resemble the game’s flagship Gore Magala monster. The Goliath “coaster giant” is a metal monster with a staggering 255 foot drop taken at 85 mph, making this one of the longest and fastest drops in the world. Once riders conquer the thrilling high-speed banked turns, camelback hills, huge spiral curves and “zero gravity” drops of the Gore Magala themed Goliath coaster, they will have a chance to tackle the ferocious Gore Magala in game form as they test out the Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate demo at kiosks inside the Cyber Cafe. Special Monster Hunter merchandise will also be for sale in the park to commemorate this ultimate vertical adventure.”

One of you guys ride this and yell "je sui monte!"

Top Bottom