• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

The first set is cookie cutter high DPS template but the second gets points for speed gathering so probably the second.

You're basing your judgment on speed gathering? I have it there since it's a simple 5 slot skill, and although helpful, isn't completely mandatory (even against Fatalis or Mohran).

-Alternis

bobohoro

Against Rathian and Rathalos, it'd be a good idea to get used to using them. They're not mega-important in Low Rank, but if you get good with them it'll really help you in High Rank. You'll be fighting harder members of the Rath family, and Flash Bombing becomes almost a necessity.

But please, learn how to use them correctly and don't blindly spam. Just had a room of randoms making a fuckin' light show out of a Gold Rath fight, my eyes still hurt. Of course everyone got hit every 5 seconds because nobody could see a damn thing. Funny enough, they only threw one out of 25 while she was in the air.

Prototype

You're basing your judgment on speed gathering? I have it there since it's a simple 5 slot skill, and although helpful, isn't completely mandatory (even against Fatalis or Mohran).

-Alternis
Why not another 5 slot skill, like trap master? Something to directly help with the hunt itself?

jorgejjvr

Why not another 5 slot skill, like trap master? Something to directly help with the hunt itself?

If you're referring to the second set, I do have another, which is speed sharpening. If you're referring to the first, there's just simply no room for any other skills.

-Alternis

Waikis

Question to bow users,
I got a 300 raw / 320 water dmg / +5 fury (wrath awoken) / +20 armour bow from a GQ expeditions.

Is the stats good?Is it worth building an armour set for it?

Tom_Cody

Question:

Can anyone explain to me how elemental damage is calculated? What is the trade-off between raw and elemental? What thought process should I use to choose which weapon to use on a given monster (with an elemental weakness) if one weapon has greater raw and another has an elemental value?
(I'm an archer).

On a related note, what is 'true attack' (or whatever)?

Juraash

Question to bow users,
I got a 300 raw / 320 water dmg / +5 fury (wrath awoken) / +20 armour bow from a GQ expeditions.

Seems pretty decent but what kind of charges does it get? Water is good against some really large monsters so having piercing on it might make it even more attractive.

Valus

Question:

Can anyone explain to me how elemental damage is calculated? What is the trade-off between raw and elemental? What thought process should I use to choose which weapon to use on a given monster (with an elemental weakness) if one weapon has greater raw and another has an elemental value?
(I'm an archer).

I believe you can take 10% of whatever the elemental value is and apply that to the true attack. To keep it simple - fast hitting weapons benefit more from elemental damage than slow hitting weapons. S&S, Dual Blades, Insect Glaive...they benefit pretty strongly from elemental damage. GS, Hammer, Lance...not so much.

True attack is how much damage the weapon does after calculating their motion value. Slow hitting weapons like the GS have a high motion value in their strikes.

It's kind of complicated. You can research Gaijin Hunter's blog if you want the nitty gritty details, but basically yeah, fast weapons benefit from elemental damage while slow weapons don't.

Waikis

Seems pretty decent but what kind of charges does it get? Water is good against some really large monsters so having piercing on it might make it even more attractive.

From what I recall it has lvl 1 piercing, level 2 spread, level 3 piercing ,lv 4 piercing. It also takes p coating and 4/5 other coatings.
Oh it's also a blast type.

I'm a horn / GS player, so I don't know much about bows. :x

Leezard

Question:

(I'm an archer).

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/56142405516/understanding-effective-weapon-power

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/73946102476/mh4-how-damage-calculation-works-simplified

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/92814625497/mh4-understanding-motion-values

These three posts should give you a good understanding.

VICI0US

anyone know offhand what items work with wide range +1?

my +evade dist charm also has +9 wide range. I can use 1 slot to gem for wide range +1 (but take -10 health) or just use the slot for a vitality gem to have normal HP with no wide range.

co1onel

Question to bow users,

depends on the charge types and focus shot. The raw is meh but it would be okay against anything weak to water.

From what I recall it has lvl 1 piercing, level 2 spread, level 3 piercing ,lv 4 piercing. It also takes p coating and 4/5 other coatings.
Oh it's also a blast type.

I'm a horn / GS player, so I don't know much about bows. :x

Pierce is the most situational bow, as its really only useful against large monsters. It's really not worth making a set for if you aren't looking to use bows a lot. Also blast will blow up all your teammates online :p

Tom_Cody

I believe you can take 10% of whatever the elemental value is and apply that to the true attack. To keep it simple - fast hitting weapons benefit more from elemental damage than slow hitting weapons. S&S, Dual Blades, Insect Glaive...they benefit pretty strongly from elemental damage. GS, Hammer, Lance...not so much.

True attack is how much damage the weapon does after calculating their motion value. Slow hitting weapons like the GS have a high motion value in their strikes.

It's kind of complicated. You can research Gaijin Hunter's blog if you want the nitty gritty details, but basically yeah, fast weapons benefit from elemental damage while slow weapons don't.
Thanks

Perfect. I'll read these on the train home tonight.

Waikis

depends on the charge types and focus shot. The raw is meh but it would be okay against anything weak to water.

Pierce is the most situational bow, as its really only useful against large monsters. It's really not worth making a set for if you aren't looking to use bows a lot. Also blast will blow up all your teammates online :p

Ah well thats a shame, back to horn it is then.

Thanks for the insights.

Ken

anyone know offhand what items work with wide range +1?

my +evade dist charm also has +9 wide range. I can use 1 slot to gem for wide range +1 (but take -10 health) or just use the slot for a vitality gem to have normal HP with no wide range.

It's like potions, nullberry, antidotes

jorgejjvr

Oh, gathering just comes with it? I thought you were gemming it in.

Ah, sorry for the obscurity. The set has a little over ten slots. I use two to get in Tremor res and weakness exploit, and use the rest to gem in speed sharpening and speed gathering (which is useful when carving tails or bodies in multi monster hunts).

-Alternis

Demoli

So I just made my new set, what do you guys think?

Honed Blade (Sharpness +1 and AuL)
Challenger +2
Razor Sharp
Elemental attack up

I think it's a pretty great set for only four skills, but would it be better than my Uka Uka U set which has:

Mind's eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit
Tremor res
Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering

Which set should I use/is better?

-Alternis

First one is straight up better DPS in any situation, but the second has better utility.

Damage is the best utility tho, I'd use the first one.

HeeHo

Man oh man. A RL friend just admitted to me he has been hacking his charms. He had an Auto-Guard + 10 and Guard Boost + 8 charm that I had really been yearning for that I thought was legit... Shoulda known just by autoguard having an accompanying skill.

Has anyone encountered any hacking? Is he just trolling me? I seriously don't feel like playing with him now...Poop. Or should I say, Dung.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Man oh man. A RL friend just admitted to me he has been hacking his charms. He had an Auto-Guard + 10 and Guard Boost + 8 charm that I had really been yearning for that I thought was legit... Shoulda known just by autoguard having an accompanying skill.

Has anyone encountered any hacking? Is he just trolling me? I seriously don't feel like playing with him now...Poop. Or should I say, Dung.
Just tell him to take it off and git gud when playing with him. Already seen a few hackers online with ridiculous charms.

Ken

Wait till you see his Auto-Guard +30 charm for Auto-Guard God.

I don't think it's a huge deal, especially not enough to stop playing with a RL friend IMO. It's also kind of cute he hacked a charm for Auto-Guard lol.

So I just made my new set, what do you guys think?

Honed Blade (Sharpness +1 and AuL)
Challenger +2
Razor Sharp
Elemental attack up

I think it's a pretty great set for only four skills, but would it be better than my Uka Uka U set which has:

Mind's eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit
Tremor res
Critical eye +1
Speed sharpening
Speed gathering

Which set should I use/is better?

-Alternis
second set (tremor resist) against Rajang, first set against EVERYTHING ELSE (lol)

Thanks

Perfect. I'll read these on the train home tonight.

Yeah those Gaijin Hunter posts made it all clear... unfortunately there's still a ton of math involved and a good understanding of monster elemental weaknesses and location hit damage (arm=20%, leg=15%, head=55%, etc) that you would need to factor in to determine if a particular weapon's elemental is worth the tradeoff for raw.

In very very general terms, elemental attacks do not use motion values (each weapon's attacks/combos have different motion values), and their modifier (just a fixed constant per weapon) is /10 across the board. Weapon raw damage modifiers vary from /1.4 to /5.4 to determine "true attack". Dual blades has a modifier of /1.4, with motion values being anywhere from 7% up to about 25% per hit, depending on the combo you are using. So with DB:

So, say on some monster's leg with a cut of 35% and an elemental of 20%, it might look like this:

Raw/1.4*motion*cut location=damage per hit

196/1.4*.07*.35=3.43 damage for that weak-ass 7% motion hit.

Elemental/10*elemental location=damage per hit

350/10*.20=7 damage tacked on for that same weak ass hit.

That can change drastically if you use stronger, slower attacks and if the monster is weaker to your element (same weapon here).

196/1.4*.12*.35=5.88 damage per hit
350/10*.05=1.75 tacked on

Beats

I see a few people here and there with ridiculous charms, but I wouldn't really stop playing with a friend if they had stuff like that. If they had a Greatsword or whatever with like 99,999 attack then I probably would (i'm not even sure if you could actually do that with powersaves though).

Beats

Is the online down for everyone at the moment? I get an error message saying that there's maintenance going on when trying to go online.

HeeHo

Wait till you see his Auto-Guard +30 charm for Auto-Guard God.

I don't think it's a huge deal, especially not enough to stop playing with a RL friend IMO. It's also kind of cute he hacked a charm for Auto-Guard lol.

It's not like I'm mad at him IRL or anything and we play other games online still but I have absolutely 0 interest in playing with people who haven't earned their gear or charms. He said he did it with some materials too.

This whole time I had been competing with him to get ahead in certain areas and I had to listen to him boast about his accomplishments too, lol. Kinda sucks, but I'm not gonna change my stance and I've told him if he doesn't wear the hacked stuff we can play, but he has this +10 wellness charm he loves. I think it has +10 mounting too :p. To me, it's like cheating through proxy.

Ken

It's not like I'm mad at him IRL or anything and we play other games online still but I have absolutely 0 interest in playing with people who haven't earned their gear or charms. He said he did it with some materials too.

This whole time I had been competing with him to get ahead in certain areas and I had to listen to him boast about his accomplishments too, lol. Kinda sucks, but I'm not gonna change my stance and I've told him if he doesn't wear the hacked stuff we can play, but he has this +10 wellness charm he loves. I think it has +10 mounting too :p. To me, it's like cheating through proxy.

Eh. There's worse things than hacking a +10 mounting lol.

I have a legit +8 mounting ooo slotted with 3x1 rodeo charms that would look hacked by anyone examining probably?

Top Bottom