• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

OmegaZero

Agreed with the above for sure. Crit Draw does complement both solo and team builds but there are times where you'll noticeably benefit from other skills.
Personally I prefer a combination of Crit Draw, Focus, and whatever skills best complement my current GS for a flexible set that lets me pump out the damage in many different instances (read: too lazy to build separate specialized sets).

PKrockin

So when being the one with the Hunting Horn and giving out boosts, does the hunting horn boost icon only appear next to my name on my end? I kind of felt like I wasn't giving boosts to the others cause I didn't see them getting the icons heh.

I continuing to like the weapon, through I not sure if I would use it a lot solo. Feeling pretty comfortable with the Hunting Horn/Charge Blade setup now, so time to move forward.
Self Improvement, denoted by the music note icon, only affects the one who plays it. Other than that, songs apply to everyone in the area at the moment they're recited. The buff icons will also appear next to their names. Some icons are shared with other things though, like the attack up food effect and demondrug use the same icon as the attack up horn song. Some buffs might not have icons either, like Psychic I think.

I'm stuck looking for a good gunner set and I can't think of anything right now. I wonder if I should just keep on focusing on blademaster then worry about gunning later?

I'm stuck looking for a good gunner set and I can't think of anything right now. I wonder if I should just keep on focusing on blademaster then worry about gunning later?
Light/Heavy Bowgun or Bow? Also low rank, high-rank, etc?

I went with a HR Artian set for my LBG build. Bonus shot is very nice as is Recoil +1. I gemmed/tali'd to Wide Area +2 for some extra Multiplayer benefits.

Otherwise, something with Evade Up, Evade +1, Loading, or [Element} Attack (matched to the weapon you're using) would be ideal.

Light/Heavy Bowgun or Bow? Also low rank, high-rank, etc?

I went with a HR Artian set for my LBG build. Bonus shot is very nice as is Recoil +1. I gemmed/tali'd to Wide Area +2 for some extra Multiplayer benefits.

Otherwise, something with Evade Up, Evade +1, Loading, or [Element} Attack (matched to the weapon you're using) would be ideal.
I'm G2 right now so most things are open to me, it's just a matter of money and rare drops now. >:
Oh and I do mostly lbg since I haven't invested in any hbg's yet.

Tom_Cody

Yeah those Gaijin Hunter posts made it all clear... unfortunately there's still a ton of math involved and a good understanding of monster elemental weaknesses and location hit damage (arm=20%, leg=15%, head=55%, etc) that you would need to factor in to determine if a particular weapon's elemental is worth the tradeoff for raw.

In very very general terms, elemental attacks do not use motion values (each weapon's attacks/combos have different motion values), and their modifier (just a fixed constant per weapon) is /10 across the board. Weapon raw damage modifiers vary from /1.4 to /5.4 to determine "true attack". Dual blades has a modifier of /1.4, with motion values being anywhere from 7% up to about 25% per hit, depending on the combo you are using. So with DB:

So, say on some monster's leg with a cut of 35% and an elemental of 20%, it might look like this:

Raw/1.4*motion*cut location=damage per hit

196/1.4*.07*.35=3.43 damage for that weak-ass 7% motion hit.

Elemental/10*elemental location=damage per hit

350/10*.20=7 damage tacked on for that same weak ass hit.

That can change drastically if you use stronger, slower attacks and if the monster is weaker to your element (same weapon here).

196/1.4*.12*.35=5.88 damage per hit
350/10*.05=1.75 tacked on
So I read through the Gaijin Hunter posts and your post and... Wow. This is so complicated. I get it in essence, but I think I will need to read this all over at least once more before I will be able to apply it practically when it comes to my weapon selection.

Shengar

That's all you. I use ONE dung bomb, if any at all per Jho <3.
I want to asked you to farm G rank Savage Jho with then I realize the fucker is expedition exclusives.
Fuck Capcom, forced me to solo a tyrannosaurus with smelly mouth, bad attitude, and hyper active behavior.

I'm G2 right now so most things are open to me, it's just a matter of money and rare drops now. >:
Oh and I do mostly lbg since I haven't invested in any hbg's yet.
Nice on the G2 rank! You thinking of a Solo set or Multiplayer?

Rapid Fire/Bonus shot is (imo) pretty valuable as a LBG-er as it'll get your DPS a bit closer to that of a HBG-er. This is especially true if you plan to Paralyze/Sleep/Poison/Etc with your LBG and your particular gun has those shots in Rapid Fire. I'd search for something with Rapid Fire.

Guts (protects against 1-hit KO if your health is above 60-something) and Protection (25% chance of taking half damage; stacks with Feline Defense Lo/Hi) are nice insurances against getting killed, since your Def is much lower.

The Evade skills are especially good especially for HBG.

Not sure about specific armors but those are the skills I like.

Mupod

wow, I finally finished my GS set and tried it out on Furious Rajang. That was surprisingly fast and easy. As long as you realize that you'll rarely get L3 charges and just snipe his legs it's no problem.

Granted the set is pretty much made to beat him:

Crit Draw
Focus
Quick Sheath
Sharpness+1
Tremor Resistance
Evasion+1

It looks great and was made out of random crap I had lying around. Can't go wrong there.

Just need to work on a set with HG earplugs, I guess. But the whole reason I'm fighting Rajang is to make his hunting horn...I got 2 hearts and a gold gorer that last run so I'm just short one tail.

Nice on the G2 rank! You thinking of a Solo set or Multiplayer?

Rapid Fire/Bonus shot is (imo) pretty valuable as a LBG-er as it'll get your DPS a bit closer to that of a HBG-er. This is especially true if you plan to Paralyze/Sleep/Poison/Etc with your LBG and your particular gun has those shots in Rapid Fire. I'd search for something with Rapid Fire.

Guts (protects against 1-hit KO if your health is above 60-something) and Protection (25% chance of taking half damage; stacks with Feline Defense Lo/Hi) are nice insurances against getting killed, since your Def is much lower.

The Evade skills are especially good especially for HBG.

Not sure about specific armors but those are the skills I like.
I know in 3U I used alatreon gunner and it worked for me. I need to do my research into it but yeah i do need rapid fire and evade extender.

Shingro

So, I've gotten to G-Special Permit, but it's bronze and I don't really have a clear idea how to take the next steps to get to silver or gold crowns. Also I've seen absolutely 0 Apex monsters in multiplayer, where is it all?

deim0s

So, I've gotten to G-Special Permit, but it's bronze and I don't really have a clear idea how to take the next steps to get to silver or gold crowns. Also I've seen absolutely 0 Apex monsters in multiplayer, where is it all?

You'll be given a text to decipher by the giant. At the end of each successful quest you'll decipher some letters to unlock further quests to let you rank up much higher.

So basically, keep playing. :p

Anyone for some g2 stuff? Need black grav, the diabloses and chaotic

Also, what's a good gem setup for regios x? I thought protection + hg earplugs

Shengar

One more spot for apex raj 69-6000-2599-5240

Edit: full

My perfomance really bad, have too much stuff going on currently
Also it seems the game server still isn't on its best shape yet. Rajang fail to synchronize, standing around while other players hitting thing air for me.
EDIT: and I got disconnected :/

PrankT

My perfomance really bad, have too much stuff going on currently
Also it seems the game server still isn't on its best shape yet. Rajang fail to synchronize, standing around while other players hitting thing air for me.
He was glitching on my screen too. Very weird. At least we got him.

Valus

Well I finished my first charm farm today. Got a bunch of bad to mediocre stuff all around. Zero handicraft charms. The only charm that was decent imo was this +7 Evade Distance with 2 slots charm. So I popped that in and re-gemmed my set, and now have:

Mind's Eye
Sharpness +1
Weakness Exploit
Tremor Res
Evade Extender
Evasion +2

Gonna try out this mythical evasion buff everyone raves about. I could knock down the Evasion buff to +1 and gem in Attack Up (S) instead, but I guess we will see...

For the Charge Blade, how do I do the Super (third A axe attack) by itself, from unsheathed position? (or the fastest way possible).

I need to unleash this on a sleeping creature.

Top Bottom