• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Pila

These days I'm just soloing old high rank quests in the gathering hall, hopefully I'll be able to play some online G rank in the next days. Tuesday is national holiday, can't wait to act like an adult and spend all the day playing videogames.

Not if I steal it first!

Edit: I'm j/k of course, I'm a horrible person but I'm not mean.

Honestly it'd probably be smarter if I let you have it. I'm literally working right now. I've played and worked at the same time before (duoing with Shengar; ask him) and I just set an alarm to go off every 3 minutes with this site: http://www.online-stopwatch.com/loop-countdown/

Every 3 minutes, I quickly do a work task, even if it means I end up getting hit.

co1onel

Easily the best poogie costume

d7c6f1e4c2.jpeg

Tom_Cody

I am so annoyed.

I woke up 20 minutes before my alarm so I decided to squeeze in one hunt before work. I hopped into an elder hall with the TS Zamtrios G1 key selected, which happens to be the last key that I need before I can do the Seregios urgent.

The hunt itself was mostly unobjectionable, but one of the people in the group had carted en-route to getting the TSZ pretty beaten up. I think literally everything was broken. Then someone carted out of the blue. With two carts, the pressure was on to finish things.

As luck would have it, right after this he showed his limp and exited the area. I dropped an "I'll set a trap" and moved followed it into the next room.

I set the trap, but then was out of position when he fell into it. No one else traqed it! I impotently tried to throw a traq at it, but I was hopelessly out of range.

It break the trap... And someone dies immediately. Quest failed. Ugh!

I was more mad than I would like to admit. And, TBH, that anger was mostly directed at myself because I still haven't figured out how to implement group healing into my play style.

tuffy

Thanks to tm24's gracious hosting, I've finally arrived at a normal shot set that I'm completely happy with.
A nice mix of damage skills along with Evade Extender. A blademaster helm for added defense. I could swap Weakness Exploit for Trajectory just by adjusting decorations. And though I may have no sense of aesthetics, I think it looks pretty good for a mixed set with a few careful pigment choices.

Rawk Hawk

Once you cheat, there's no turning back. You'll always cheat in future, depend on it, and eventually kill the whole fun of your game.

I assume you will be happy to know I read this in a yoda-like voice ala the "Fear leads to anger" quote. Cheating is the path to the dark side!

tuffy

I've been on the lookout for the fabled Devilpoogie for ages without success. But I'm going to keep going on expeditions until I track him down.

Tom_Cody

To follow up on my earlier post, what items and methods do you all use for group healing?

My standard item load-out is pretty cramped, but I think I'm going to start bringing Dust of Life, and also map it to one of my touch screen commands. That way I can at least have it handy if one or two carts happen and it starts to look like the hunt is in jeopardy.

To follow up on my earlier post, what items and methods do you all use for group healing?

My standard item load-out is pretty cramped, but I think I'm going to start bringing Dust of Life, and also map it to one of my touch screen commands. That way I can at least have it handy if one or two carts happen and it starts to look like the hunt is in jeopardy.

I always have 3 life powders and 2 dusts. That's really all you can be expected to do unless you're actually using wide area.

---

Great session, Sheng, up, and whoever Excel and Seele were. Hours of work just flew by.

tuffy

Lifepowders are in my standard item set, though I'll make room for Dusts of Life if the target hits especially hard. I've had pretty good success getting them out in time when I've got a LBG equipped. With HBG there's been occasions where I just couldn't get to my Lifepowders in time because it sheathes too slowly, which is really frustrating.

Lifepowders are in my standard item set, though I'll make room for Dusts of Life if the target hits especially hard. I've had pretty good success getting them out in time when I've got a LBG equipped. With HBG there's been occasions where I just couldn't get to my Lifepowders in time because it sheathes too slowly, which is really frustrating.

Sort of makes me glad I play a GS as it'll allow me to play the waiting game for a bit, and heal people as necessary.

upandaway

Great session, Sheng, up, and whoever Excel and Seele were. Hours of work just flew by.
Yeah it was fun. I FINALLY got a not-terrible lance set.

Evasion +3
Constitution +1
Sharpness +1

but no lances to use with it. I need one freaking slime for brach lance and one garuga lash for esmeralda's tide

Not playing lance for so long was giving me withdrawals. I never would've imagined I'd be the group gunner for a half a day session. By the end I was just going into siege, emptying half my ammo, rolling once and going into siege again for the rest.

Yeah it was fun. I FINALLY got a not-terrible lance set.

Evasion +3
Constitution +1
Sharpness +1

but no lances to use with it. I need one freaking slime for brach lance and one garuga lash for esmeralda's tide

Not playing lance for so long was giving me withdrawals. I never would've imagined I'd be the group gunner for a half a day session. By the end I was just going into siege, emptying half my ammo, rolling once and going into siege again for the rest.

I dunno if I get anything good that entire time. Wasn't paying attention, lol. Any time I wasn't actively fighting, I was working, so I was just spamming A for carves, grabbing everything in rewards, and storing everything without really looking.

Tom_Cody

I always have 3 life powders and 2 dusts. That's really all you can be expected to do unless you're actually using wide area.
Ok. Thanks.

Also, I had no idea wide area existed. I might have to make a full support set once I get to the end-game.

Sort of makes me glad I play a GS as it'll allow me to play the waiting game for a bit, and heal people as necessary.
That's my main issue. I use Bow and Switch Axe, so it never feels natural for me to heal the group.

I guess I just to think about it more, especially if a cart or two have already occurred.

Ok. Thanks.

Also, I had no idea wide area existed. I might have to make a full support set once I get to the end-game.

That's my main issue. I use Bow and Switch Axe, so it never feels natural for me to heal the group.

I guess I just to think about it more, especially if a cart or two have already occurred.

If you're interested in going full support later, you should check out sword and shield. It doesn't have to sheathe to use items. Only weapon that can do that.

Ok. Thanks.

I don't think you really need to make a full support set as most responsible hunters should be able to take care of themselves.

I realize the above statement does not compute. :D

Anyway, most of the GAF hunters and lurkers here are very good at bringing their own healing items and assisting people if they are low on health. I'm all for fellow hunters to run around as needed to take the time to apply a whetstone, heal, etc. Carts tend to happen often especially in random games due to people playing with a very aggressive mindset of DPS, DPS, more DPS!

tuffy

If you're using Bow and Switch Axe, I don't think anybody can expect you to use group healing items any more than you probably are now. They both sheathe on the slow side and put you in pretty close. Sometimes my best option is to just keep pounding away at the monster and hope it'll target the one doing the most damage (me) rather than somebody else who's pulled away to heal.

I seriously do not want to watch the dismissal of a palico. I'll hire and dismiss from the regular screen without the actual cutscene.

Dem feels yo. T_T

Tom_Cody

If you're interested in going full support later, you should check out sword and shield. It doesn't have to sheathe to use items. Only weapon that can do that.
Good thought. I had Hunting Horn in mind, but that makes sense. As it is I want to try out Sword & Shield eventually, specifically once I can craft Teostra's Emblem. I love blast.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/sword/teostras-emblem

I don't think you really need to make a full support set as most responsible hunters should be able to take care of themselves.

I realize the above statement does not compute. :D

Anyway, most of the GAF hunters and lurkers here are very good at bringing their own healing items and assisting people if they are low on health. I'm all for fellow hunters to run around as needed to take the time to apply a whetstone, heal, etc. Carts tend to happen often especially in random games due to people playing with a very aggressive mindset of DPS, DPS, more DPS!
I'm not thinking about it as a main, more just something for fun.

If you're using Bow and Switch Axe, I don't think anybody can expect you to use group healing items any more than you probably are now. They both sheathe on the slow side and put you in pretty close. Sometimes my best option is to just keep pounding away at the monster and hope it'll target the one doing the most damage (me) rather than somebody else who's pulled away to heal.
I would hope so. It's more that I want to my improve my sessions with randoms by reducing carts.

tuffy

I seriously do not want to watch the dismissal of a palico. I'll hire and dismiss from the regular screen without the actual cutscene.

Dem feels yo. T_T
GaijinHunter deemed the dismissal cutscene "hilarious" before recommending dismissing them from the menu because it's so much faster. The same menu comes up when you fill up on Palicos and want to hire a new one, so that's what I've been doing.

Tom_Cody

Dem feels yo. T_T
I now have 5 of each type (plus additional healers for special move variation). I am very glad that I will never have to dismiss a palico again.

So I have enough materials for the Hellruin IG. I have very little experience in using the IG, but I'll try and learn it slowly.

What are your preferences in upgrading the kinsect?

tariniel

I have a quick question about Charge Blade v.s. Rajang (apex/frenzy/regular):

Will Guard+1 or 2 help me punish things after a guard point?

I just finished my Challenger+2, Razor Sharp, Honed Blade set and have been using that on Rajang GQ's the last few days, and I have a good sense of how to GP a lot of his attacks, but usually if I try to retaliate with a super after a GP, he leaps back and it misses.

Would having some amount of guard lower the time it takes for the super to come out, and cause them to hit him? Is it worth dropping Challenger for guard (since spirit gems have minus guard)?

I'm aware in general guard is good for some monsters to maximize GP punish windows, but I don't know if Rajang is one of those monsters (ex: guard is amazing on Tigrex family/-blos family).

So I have enough materials for the Hellruin IG. I have very little experience in using the IG, but I'll try and learn it slowly.

What are your preferences in upgrading the kinsect?

In my experience nothing beats the effect extender kinsect. Double length on all of the buffs is just too good in my opinion, and the insect will also have max speed/good power. Check out this video for the recipe, you have to be fairly precise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQdXcphlhmc

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
God this solo Advance G rank Dheran Mohran is a pain. I dont even know how you are suppose survive for 30 minutes, let alone kill it. The only way to do consistent damage is to get on it and hits its sweetspot. Yet that only happens three times.

In my experience nothing beats the effect extender kinsect. Double length on all of the buffs is just too good in my opinion, and the insect will also have max speed/good power. Check out this video for the recipe, you have to be fairly precise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQdXcphlhmc

Oooh, thanks! I'll be looking at this and figuring it out later. I definitely agree on the extended steroid buffs.

Ha! I'm not the only one anymore!

And Glitch spreads the power of bad connections around!

tuffy

God this solo Advance G rank Dheran Mohran is a pain. I dont even know how you are suppose survive for 30 minutes, let alone kill it. The only way to do consistent damage is to get on it and hits its sweetspot. Yet that only happens three times.
For this fight, I grabbed the Gravios Gigacannon and crouch-fired a bunch of pierce 2 shot up his back or along his arms in the first phase, combining more shots as needed. I'd get to the second phase with a few pierce 2 shots left over and always before using the front-facing Dragonator. In the second phase I'd push him back with the side-facing Dragonator and finish him off with pierce 3 shots crouch-fired down his mouth. I never needed to combine more pierce 3 shots. The whole hunt was about 12 minutes consistently.

Not sure if other weapons have it easier, but I'd imagine something with a lot of burst-damage potential would be best.

I used my greatsword build, Cera or Stygian. He usually comes close enough to get on top of after you break his arms. Also, if you're daring, you can actually climb on the front of his nose when he comes in for the charge attack from the ship's sides. Remember that the front crown can be broken, allowing you access to the rest of the front end of the body and a mining spot. You can also get access to the front if you hit him with the dragonator, and during the Showdown when his nose dips below the ship's geometry while he's idle.

So basically if you hop up on the front, you can break his crown, blowhole, and nose without hopping off.

Question for you pros. For someone who's just entered G-Rank I want to gun. I love the aspect of range and feel safer doing it than melee (man I'm going to miss my IG though, it's an amazing weapon). I am not interested in HBG, only the Bow and LBG. I've made both Seregios weapons and have them both at the second upgrade, Rare 7 I believe. I often hear people saying Vayu Sedition is trash, learn2lbg using ele, etc. but I've seen videos such as the one below where guys destroy monsters with this LBG just fine. Now it's obviously not the fastest but this is impressive none the less. Why is raw LBG so down played/disregarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6cIEn9pdA

Rawk Hawk

I bring my switch axe, and Regios X gear with artillery god charmed in and I eat for bombardier, focus first on his arms to break them to allow mounting and cannon fire after they break when I can't get on his back. The gong and binder are nice when he starts his animations for his attacks to slow him down. Dragonator when possible for it's amazing damage. I kill him between 14-17 minutes fairly consistently. I do run out and drop the given bombs on him during the final stage, but then it's basically back to the ship for ballista and cannon fire.

Biggest pain was figuring out when the gong is best used, certainly when he lines up at a 45 degree angle, but outside of that I have a hard time telling when to use it. I like bringing switch axe to break down his pillars he drops so I can get back to using the ballista quickly.

Top Bottom