• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

I assume hitting HR 100 will take forever? A part of me wants to complete every high rank quest before moving onto G-rank. That seems unrealistic though.

I've had a break and been going hard the past few days I went from like 60-something to 79 in a bunch of three hour sessions grinding on Chameleos mainly. You'll get to 100 relatively quickly if you just play regularly.

I've had a break and been going hard the past few days I went from like 60-something to 79 in a bunch of three hour sessions grinding on Chameleos mainly. You'll get to 100 relatively quickly if you just play regularly.

There also seems to be a higher rank point reward for killing tougher monster, like the Elder Dragons.

Someone should open a room.

tuffy

So the only other mission I have left in SP is Bad Hair Rajang. How did you guys tackle this solo?
I practiced on high rank Caravan Rajang until I got his moves down, then used a lot of hit-and-run tactics. Rajang's a glass cannon style of monster who hits hard but his whole body is one big weak point. So I'd take a couple of shots, roll to safety, take a few more and so on.

Though with enough attack power, it's possible to stunlock Caravan Rajang to death because his defense is so low (traumatizing video warning).

tuffy

I'd like a tuffy top 5 a lot more though for HBG
Though I don't think GaijinHunter guns very much, his list was mostly spot-on. In no particular order, I use:
  • Livid Griscannon - Excellent for normal shots. Hits very hard when positive affinity is factored in, and its low recoil means it can also deliver a lot of crag shots in a hurry.
  • Destiny's Arm - Excellent for non-crouched pierce shots. Big clip sizes, fast reload speed, and even a lot of handy secondary shots.
  • Gravios Gigacannon - The best for crouched pierce shots. Its glacial reload speed and small pierce clip sizes aren't much use for general-purpose hunting. But if your target isn't moving around, this gun's huge attack power will obliterate it 20 pierce shots at a time.
  • Furia Sedition - A useful situational gun for both normal and pierce shots. About the same attack power as the Destiny's Arm and ~4.5% less attack power than the Livid Griscannon. But its auto-reload feature really shines whenever something forces a lot of dodging and offers few chances to reload safely. I bring this for Yian Garuga, Kirin, Shagaru Magala (thanks to his energy geysers) and other stuff that keeps me on my toes.
It's hard to think of a fifth one though, except maybe the Daora gun as a precursor to the Fatalis one (Daora's HBGs do look and sound pretty cool). The Ukanlos gun's random left/right deviation and below average reload speed make it hard to recommend over the Griscannon, the Agna Scorpion's attack power is a little on the low side and its reload speed is slow, and I don't use pellet for anything. The other Fatalis HBG looks like a great option comparable to the Griscannon on paper, but who knows when that'll arrive.

Kater

Banned
Furia Sedition - A useful situational gun for both normal and pierce shots. About the same attack power as the Destiny's Arm and ~4.5% less attack power than the Livid Griscannon. But its auto-reload feature really shines whenever something forces a lot of dodging and offers few chances to reload safely. I bring this for Yian Garuga, Kirin, Shagaru Magala (thanks to his energy geysers) and other stuff that keeps me on my toes.

True, yeah. I still haven't upgraded it (haven't encountered Molten Tiggy yet T_T) so I only use it in HR at the moment but it's quite fun to use.

javadoze

Oh my god. Last night I was hunting with some randoms and I unintentionally canceled two mount attempts on a Brachy (one with an ultra burst and another with a flash bomb).

(With that out of the way, at what point in G-Rank should I start to seriously consider a mixed armor set?)

(With that out of the way, at what point in G-Rank should I start to seriously consider a mixed armor set?)

Whenever you feel comfortable doing so. There's some interesting mixed sets out there, but if you're happy with what you've got and can't see a reason to switch out, there's no big need to!

Wiseblade

On the topic of armour sets, I have two questions:

Is there a general use blademaster full set better than Seregios X set? The number of slot gives it an insane amount of versatility, but I'd love something comparable with a thunder resist.

Secondly, I recently pick up bows, but all the gunner armours seem to just have bow gun skills. Am I better off making something with generic skills, or are there any sets with good skills for bows?

upandaway

Any chance anyone here got a low rank Yian Garuga?

Though I don't think GaijinHunter guns very much, his list was mostly spot-on. In no particular order, I use:
  • Livid Griscannon - Excellent for normal shots. Hits very hard when positive affinity is factored in, and its low recoil means it can also deliver a lot of crag shots in a hurry.
  • Destiny's Arm - Excellent for non-crouched pierce shots. Big clip sizes, fast reload speed, and even a lot of handy secondary shots.
  • Gravios Gigacannon - The best for crouched pierce shots. Its glacial reload speed and small pierce clip sizes aren't much use for general-purpose hunting. But if your target isn't moving around, this gun's huge attack power will obliterate it 20 pierce shots at a time.
  • Furia Sedition - A useful situational gun for both normal and pierce shots. About the same attack power as the Destiny's Arm and ~4.5% less attack power than the Livid Griscannon. But its auto-reload feature really shines whenever something forces a lot of dodging and offers few chances to reload safely. I bring this for Yian Garuga, Kirin, Shagaru Magala (thanks to his energy geysers) and other stuff that keeps me on my toes.
It's hard to think of a fifth one though, except maybe the Daora gun as a precursor to the Fatalis one (Daora's HBGs do look and sound pretty cool). The Ukanlos gun's random left/right deviation and below average reload speed make it hard to recommend over the Griscannon, the Agna Scorpion's attack power is a little on the low side and its reload speed is slow, and I don't use pellet for anything. The other Fatalis HBG looks like a great option comparable to the Griscannon on paper, but who knows when that'll arrive.
I'm gonna need Destiny's Arm and the Griscannon sometime soon, loving the regios HBG for pierce but I wanna try something with better clips.

I also have to try and learn how to stabilize my DPS better. Sometimes monsters just die and on the other hand I just did HR Garuga (caravan) and it took 12 minutes - completely insane considering how overleveled my set is. It was also painfully evident how important Evade Dist is for solo.

Secondly, I recently pick up bows, but all the gunner armours seem to just have bow gun skills. Am I better off making something with generic skills, or are there any sets with good skills for bows?
For bow, Lagi X looks good. Also really easy to make.

Apex Rajang is out of the question. It's one thing to have to fight what is arguably the toughest monster in the game. It's another to have to wait 4 minutes into the mission doing nothing until it shows up and then deal with a Desert Seltas that's practically conjoined to the Rajang. What's the easiest way to unlock a G rank Shagaru Magala? I'm killing G rank expedition monsters and all I'm getting are Basarios Guild Quests. Ruby Basarios, Basarios, Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Basarios, and to mix things up, Stygian Zinogre + Basarios dual hunt. Why is this thing obsessed with Basarios?

Apex Rajang is out of the question. It's one thing to have to fight what is arguably the toughest monster in the game. It's another to have to wait 4 minutes into the mission doing nothing until it shows up and then deal with a Desert Seltas that's practically conjoined to the Rajang. What's the easiest way to unlock a G rank Shagaru Magala? I'm killing G rank expedition monsters and all I'm getting are Basarios Guild Quests. Ruby Basarios, Basarios, Basarios, Ruby Basarios, Basarios, and to mix things up, Stygian Zinogre + Basarios dual hunt. Why is this thing obsessed with Basarios?

I respectfully disagree that Apex Rajang is that difficult (unless you're playing solo and that I can understand). Most GQ monsters at level 140 are such a pain in the ass, and S. Magala is really a handful with those damn explosions underneath your character.

*mutters something about combos and instant-cart*

I respectfully disagree that Apex Rajang is that difficult (unless you're playing solo and that I can understand). Most GQ monsters at level 140 are such a pain in the ass, and S. Magala is really a handful with those damn explosions underneath your character.

*mutters something about combos and instant-cart*
I was trying to solo it, yes. I wanted to hone my Hazy Caster for extra attack to fight Gogmazios, and I can't play online where I am right now. I tried to solo Apex Rajang but as soon as I thought I was getting better, I suddenly couldn't last more than 2 minutes before my first cart and I'm tired of waiting 4 full minutes for it to show up in that Desert Seltas quest. Now I want to try to unlock a G Rank Shagaru Magala to fully upgrade the S. Magala dual blades. Is there no G Rank Shagaru Magala easier than that level 140 ultra-G Rank one?

Wolfe

Though with enough attack power, it's possible to stunlock Caravan Rajang to death because his defense is so low (traumatizing video warning).

Lol I inadvertently ended up doing this to the Rajang in Caravaneers Challenge the other day.

After telling people it was faster to just smoke bomb then kill Zinogre and Rajang seperately I figured I should go double check since I hadn't done the quest in a while. After the Zinogre went down I began attacking the Rajang and I already had a fully charged/phialed shield so the first time he went down I hit him with a super right as he was standing up... Which proceeded to knock him back down, que another super as he's getting up and repeat.

Ended up killing him by the 4th super, shit cracked me up and reminded me of that GS video :p

Ended up finishing the fight below 10 minutes, granted I'm decked in G gear but I still think killing Zin and Raj separate is the way to go.

Quadraxis

So i just got out to most tense MH battle i ever had. i started doing my gogma urgent with some randoms and all went well until my connection thought: "Lets make this a bit harder". So there i was, about 10 minutes into the quest with gog just entering the second phase. Ir went well for about about 5 minutes, until i carted to his sweeping oil beam. Damm. Luckily i took max potions with me, so the fight continues. 30 minutes later, 5 dragonator usages, used about 10 whetstones and a lot of my potions and the beast finally fell. IT FELT SO DAMM GOOD :D. And the desire sensor even granted me a wartorn dragonsphire ^^

God i love monster hunter. Soloing chaos gore first time was fun, but this was something else ^^

Ultrabum

So i just got out to most tense MH battle i ever had. i started doing my gogma urgent with some randoms and all went well until my connection thought: "Lets make this a bit harder". So there i was, about 10 minutes into the quest with gog just entering the second phase. Ir went well for about about 5 minutes, until i carted to his sweeping oil beam. Damm. Luckily i took max potions with me, so the fight continues. 30 minutes later, 5 dragonator usages, used about 10 whetstones and a lot of my potions and the beast finally fell. IT FELT SO DAMM GOOD :D. And the desire sensor even granted me a wartorn dragonsphire ^^

God i love monster hunter. Soloing chaos gore first time was fun, but this was something else ^^

These are the best moments in monster hunter, overcoming great adversity!

Highwind

One of my greatest hunts was having to take down a Apex Rajang with a Bow user after the other 2 hunters disconnected.

Neither of us carted but man we had some real close calls. Honestly I find Apex Deviljho harder than Rajang.

Riposte

I'm that kind of guy too and I still have a ton of HR6/7 quests to do, and I'm G2. It's just impossible to do it before progressing onwards.

I'd be down to clear some of them with you next weekend if you have any left by then

I did the majority of high rank quests, but I think skipped over more low rank stuff if anything. Offline is pretty much completely done until I open up g rank.

I really should move on to a different game, so I might take a break. However, when it comes to teaming up with GAF online, I'm perfectly okay with that, although I don't like being overgeared or teaming up with overgeared people.

I did the majority of high rank quests, but I think skipped over more low rank stuff if anything. Offline is pretty much completely done until I open up g rank.

I really should move on to a different game, so I might take a break. However, when it comes to teaming up with GAF online, I'm perfectly okay with that, although I don't like being overgeared or teaming up with overgeared people.

You might have a difficult time partnering up with some of the regular players on GAF though because most of them at end-game.

Wolfe

I have plenty of non G gear to use, no one ever says anything though so I don't bother wearing it while doing L/HR stuff.

If you ever play with me though feel free to bring it up and I'll gladly throw on some rank appropriate gear.

Beats

ya, I still have some low/high rank/early g-rank gear so I can put together and use some rank appropriate sets if we ever play together.

co1onel

You might have a difficult time partnering up with some of the regular players on GAF though because most of them at end-game.
I never sell any of my armor or weapons, so I still have plenty of things to use at lower ranks. In fact I would like it if I got more opportunities to use some of my high rank sets that I never got to use while I was in high rank.

Yrael

People do that in MH? ._.

Sheesh

AvsUJQL.jpg

Yrael

You always answer yes to see how far the creep will go.

When they start asking for nudes, you know you've hit a desperate fuck. Ask them for their email and sign them up for every spam site you can think of. c:

Thankfully I haven't been in a situation like this in MH yet (someone else shared the encounter on reddit a couple of days ago). If it happened though your suggestion certainly sounds like an amusing way to go about things! xD

Top Bottom