• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Anura

Question for you pros. For someone who's just entered G-Rank I want to gun. I love the aspect of range and feel safer doing it than melee (man I'm going to miss my IG though, it's an amazing weapon). I am not interested in HBG, only the Bow and LBG. I've made both Seregios weapons and have them both at the second upgrade, Rare 7 I believe. I often hear people saying Vayu Sedition is trash, learn2lbg using ele, etc. but I've seen videos such as the one below where guys destroy monsters with this LBG just fine. Now it's obviously not the fastest but this is impressive none the less. Why is raw LBG so down played/disregarded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6cIEn9pdA

It's mostly because raw HBG is better in every conceivable way. LBG is better at ele shots and HBG is raw. Raw LBGs mid game should be fine but they're just far from optimal.

HBG is pretty much my main at this point but I don't use a lot of LBG and bow so I won't be the best to give advice there.

tuffy

Question for you pros. For someone who's just entered G-Rank I want to gun. I love the aspect of range and feel safer doing it than melee (man I'm going to miss my IG though, it's an amazing weapon). I am not interested in HBG, only the Bow and LBG. I've made both Seregios weapons and have them both at the second upgrade, Rare 7 I believe. I often hear people saying Vayu Sedition is trash, learn2lbg using ele, etc. but I've seen videos such as the one below where guys destroy monsters with this LBG just fine. Now it's obviously not the fastest but this is impressive none the less. Why is raw LBG so down played/disregarded?
At 390 attack power, +20% affinity, and a couple of slots, the Vayu Sedition is a good LBG no matter how you look at it. There's nothing wrong with using LBGs for raw shots. But the reason it's downplayed is because rapid-fire is the LBG's main feature, and rapid-fire is incredibly ammo-efficient. And since the amount of elemental ammo one can carry/combine is relatively limited, exploiting an elemental weakness plays to the LBG's strengths. In an extreme case, you wind up with crazy speedruns like these.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I6cIEn9pdA

If you have a host of elemental weapons you can take advantage of a monster's weaknesses and deal even more damage.

At 390 attack power, +20% affinity, and a couple of slots, the Vayu Sedition is a good LBG no matter how you look at it. There's nothing wrong with using LBGs for raw shots. But the reason it's downplayed is because rapid-fire is the LBG's main feature, and rapid-fire is incredibly ammo-efficient. And since the amount of elemental ammo one can carry/combine is relatively limited, exploiting an elemental weakness plays to the LBG's strengths. In an extreme case, you wind up with crazy speedruns like these.

This basically.

Understood, thanks for all the replies regarding the LBG. I've just fallen in love with the mechanic of the Steve LBG and will build up an ele arsenal soon enough.

And lol @ that video, that's insane.

I have a quick question about Charge Blade v.s. Rajang (apex/frenzy/regular):

Will Guard+1 or 2 help me punish things after a guard point?

I just finished my Challenger+2, Razor Sharp, Honed Blade set and have been using that on Rajang GQ's the last few days, and I have a good sense of how to GP a lot of his attacks, but usually if I try to retaliate with a super after a GP, he leaps back and it misses.

Would having some amount of guard lower the time it takes for the super to come out, and cause them to hit him? Is it worth dropping Challenger for guard (since spirit gems have minus guard)?

I'm going through Rajang's attacks in my head and I can't think of one where there's enough lag afterward where if you guard point it, you have GUARANTEED time to land a super (even with Guard+2) EXCEPT for lightning blast and only if you guard point it from the beginning.

Considering how often Rajang is angry, I'd hold onto Challenger+2 instead.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The best part of the Steve LBG is it can actually cut tails quickly and easily. Not to mention seven rounds of rapid Slice (anywhere on the body) will knock a monster out of Apex. It allows you to be very mobile as well. It's also very cheap to use, as you're not having to craft stuff like Crag 2, Sleep 2 and Para 2 like you do for God's Archipelago.

Battalion Strafer is my stable for Water weak monsters like Zinogre though. Honing defense on to its already included 45 defense helps a gunner take a hit a lot better, plus shooting rapid para / poison is lovely.

Samus' Arm Cannon was useful for me through G as well. It shots a good variety of shots. Fire, Para 2 (although disgusting single load at a time), Rapid Ice, Thunder, Crag. Plus it has some natural defense and three slots. If only it could be honed..

Sorry, mostly just rambling a bit when I saw the LBG talk. Carry on..

Rafavert

Guys, anyone care to give me some help with HBG?

I find myself burning hrough 99 Normal lv2 to kill most stuff. If I have a second monster to kill, I'm down to lv1. I heard lv3 aren't worth it since the shots no longer have a homing effect that directs them to weak spots.

Is anyone able to shed some light on this?

I find myself burning hrough 99 Normal lv2 to kill most stuff. If I have a second monster to kill, I'm down to lv1. I heard lv3 aren't worth it since the shots no longer have a homing effect that directs them to weak spots.

Madness, lv. 3 normal are very much worth using. Lv. 1 shots are the ones that are worthless.

Ultrabum

I think lvl 3 is good vs. really big things, I'm fairly sure it will be better than normal lvl 1 most of the time.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I still use rapid Crag and Cluster online. I will ONLY use Cluster if there are no blades near the monster, but I will use Crags on head for KOs. I have a shoutout for Crags, to warn people. I tend to warn before we head out on a quest too that I'll be Crag'ing during Para, or whenever. Much easier to organize during our hunt meetups than online, of course.

Wolfe

Easily the best poogie costume

d7c6f1e4c2.jpeg

I've had my PoogieJho rocking that costume since I found it a while back, definitely agree on that point.

I have a quick question about Charge Blade v.s. Rajang (apex/frenzy/regular):

Will Guard+1 or 2 help me punish things after a guard point?

I just finished my Challenger+2, Razor Sharp, Honed Blade set and have been using that on Rajang GQ's the last few days, and I have a good sense of how to GP a lot of his attacks, but usually if I try to retaliate with a super after a GP, he leaps back and it misses.

Would having some amount of guard lower the time it takes for the super to come out, and cause them to hit him? Is it worth dropping Challenger for guard (since spirit gems have minus guard)?

I'm aware in general guard is good for some monsters to maximize GP punish windows, but I don't know if Rajang is one of those monsters (ex: guard is amazing on Tigrex family/-blos family).

I'm going through Rajang's attacks in my head and I can't think of one where there's enough lag afterward where if you guard point it, you have GUARANTEED time to land a super (even with Guard+2) EXCEPT for lightning blast and only if you guard point it from the beginning.

Considering how often Rajang is angry, I'd hold onto Challenger+2 instead.

Pretty much what Amethyst said.

Beats

got g-rank dahren mohran down to around 10 minutes. Took me 13 before but I made a new set with:
Trajectory
Attack Up (L)
Recoil Down+1
Pierce Up
Palico Rally (this was basically free from my Pierce up charm)

Only bomb Palicos. I start with a might seed and then I basically go through Pierce 3,2,1 and then Normal Shots afterwards. When it jumps over the boat I use blast to trigger 1 explosion and some crag shots since it's usually to far away to get the critical distance with the other stuff even with Trajectory. Final showdown is just using the dragonator and a few shots. Not sure if I can get the time down any lower. Maybe if I bring stuff to combine more pierce shots...

got g-rank dahren mohran down to around 10 minutes. Took me 13 before but I made a new set with:
Trajectory
Attack Up (L)
Recoil Down+1
Pierce Up
Palico Rally (this was basically free from my Pierce up charm)

Only bomb Palicos. I start with a might seed and then I basically go through Pierce 3,2,1 and then Normal Shots afterwards. When it jumps over the boat I use blast to trigger 1 explosion and some crag shots since it's usually to far away to get the critical distance with the other stuff even with Trajectory. Final showdown is just using the dragonator and a few shots. Not sure if I can get the time down any lower. Maybe if I bring stuff to combine more pierce shots...

Read the first sentence and went "WHAT THE FUCK, HAX."

Then I remembered you're a gunner. Totally jelly. Nice job.

Bit late here, but are you bringing 99 Huskberries and Needleberries to combine for more Normal 2 shots mid-hunt? Are you shooting from critical distance (you'll see a larger yellow flash and the screen will shake slightly if you are)?

The more you play, the more you'll figure out how to reliably get the Normal 3 ricochets. Your best bet is shooting into their "armpit", so to speak, so it ricochets up into the wing, or shooting the legs so it ricochets up into the belly.

Shengar

Those who said Regios LBG being trash is must be the ones who lack appropriate hardware to take advantage of the auto loading gimmick, or the skill.

No I'm just wake up, open Gaf while still half-asleep and I can't let myself see Vayu Sedition being trashed by some LBG elitist out there. I'm not supposed to post here >__>

Oh, so you'll be gone. Well, gonna let you know now then. I'm going on vacation for about 1-2 weeks starting around 2 weeks from now. So basically, right when you get back, I'll be gone.

People trash the Sedition now partially because of hype backlash and partially because everyone wants to hame and the Sedition can't do that at all.

I don't like the Sedition either.

Wolfe

People trash the Sedition now partially because of hype backlash and partially because everyone wants to hame and the Sedition can't do that at all.

People get too caught up in going "the best" route, for example on Gfaqs ask about CB gear and by peoples responses if you're not rocking a mixed set with honed blade and challenger +2 you're garbage. Or the GX Hunter thread I saw where the guy was asking about good GS loadouts with this set and the general consensus was GX mixed was ideal. Sure I get that, but then the response to "So mixed set is the best?" was "Yes, no one uses full GX Hunter unless they're bad".

Unfortunately a lot of people end up adopting these viewpoints for whatever reason and you see the same opinion parrotted over and over. I mean it's fine wanting to do the most damage you can and all that or whatever but don't dismiss someone elses playstyle simply because it doesn't meet the same strict standards. The problem imo comes when you're looking for advice and run into those same "particular mold" answers.

Which is one of the reasons I enjoy seeking info in this thread since you're much more likely to get a better informed response.

I'm trying to beat Gogmazios (yes, I fully upgraded the wyceum). I made the full Grand Mizuha armor (G rank Chameleos), gave it Sharpness+1 and HGE, and made the Hazy Caster (fully upgraded Chameleos insect glaive) with the Bilbotrix kinsect, but I couldn't beat Gomazios. It took me almost 35 minutes to get it down to 50% health. Would it be better to hone my weapon for attack (requiring me to fight Apex Rajang through felyne gamechanger) or upgrade my Shagaru Magala dual blades to their final upgrade (requiring me to get its Guild Quest somehow)? Is it hard to unlock G rank S. Magala? I haven't killed many monsters in the Everwood.

I'm trying to beat Gogmazios (yes, I fully upgraded the wyceum). I made the full Grand Mizuha armor (G rank Chameleos), gave it Sharpness+1 and HGE, and made the Hazy Caster (fully upgraded Chameleos insect glaive) with the Bilbotrix kinsect, but I couldn't beat Gomazios. It took me almost 35 minutes to get it down to 50% health. Would it be better to hone my weapon for attack (requiring me to fight Apex Rajang through felyne gamechanger) or upgrade my Shagaru Magala dual blades to their final upgrade (requiring me to get its Guild Quest somehow)? Is it hard to unlock G rank S. Magala? I haven't killed many monsters in the Everwood.

Would you like some help later? I'd be happy to assist. I'll be online in about an hour as of this post.

Shengar

God this solo Advance G rank Dheran Mohran is a pain. I dont even know how you are suppose survive for 30 minutes, let alone kill it. The only way to do consistent damage is to get on it and hits its sweetspot. Yet that only happens three times.
Good thunder or dragon weapon will do the trick.

I think Regios LBG will have a lot more use if there's more multiple monster hunts in end game.

I'm scared to click on the tuffy video

tuffy videos are traumatizing 100% of the time
It's a good speedrun video with awful music.
Understood, thanks for all the replies regarding the LBG. I've just fallen in love with the mechanic of the Steve LBG and will build up an ele arsenal soon enough.

And lol @ that video, that's insane.
If you really like Regios LBG, I said go for it. Of course it'll be much better if you do both since Elemental LBG and Regios LBG is quite different in playstyle. I used LBG 300 times before I could realized it and I'm kinda "I've used LBG that many?" when I see my guild card.

Oh, so you'll be gone. Well, gonna let you know now then. I'm going on vacation for about 1-2 weeks starting around 2 weeks from now. So basically, right when you get back, I'll be gone.
Don't worry, it seems my hiatus will be shorter than expected.
We can get a hunt or two before you go.

I don't know if there was any hype with the Sedition at all. It can't do hame for whatever the reason though the damage stream is pretty much continous due to how it works. Also it does tail cutting duty much better than blademasters with short-reach if you're know the exact tail movement of the monster you hunt.
Again, if you're not using this bad boy right here, I can understand the frustration of having to recalibrate your crosshair everytime you do sidestep for reloading.
Yes I'm really love that piece of accessory.
;____________; I'm garbage!?

Then I'm an ultra garbage for refusing to mix any blademaster set ever.

People get too caught up in going "the best" route, for example on Gfaqs ask about CB gear and by peoples responses if you're not rocking a mixed set with honed blade and challenger +2 you're garbage. Or the GX Hunter thread I saw where the guy was asking about good GS loadouts with this set and the general consensus was GX mixed was ideal. Sure I get that, but then the response to "So mixed set is the best?" was "Yes, no one uses full GX Hunter unless they're bad".

Personally it's kinda boring to see people wearing the same mixed set online in random rooms. I'm not against people wearing mixed set, since I do it too for gunner (but it's kinda moot since Sororal Set with Esurient Z coat still looks like a full set), but I don't like being told of what really "best" to play either. Yeah you got numbers, formula, yada yada to prove that, but there's a reason why everyone not go with 3 HBG and 1 LBG support setup to kill monsters. Part of the best fun that I got from MH4U right now is mix-matching a full set with the charm I have to get the best result. I always wondering myself what could I do with this set if I mixed it with this charm when I'm idly browsing through armor list in Ping's Dex. I think the same could be said to gunners who mix-match armor pieces to get the best result like tuffy did.

I mean yeah, the endgame monsters already pretty much limited to Elder Dragons+Deviljho and Rajang, there's no need to further limiting yourself in different playstyle further if that stripped off the fun from you.
Read the first sentence and went "WHAT THE FUCK, HAX."

Then I remembered you're a gunner. Totally jelly. Nice job.

My Rath Soul Z set with Emperor Boltbrute+Elemental Attack Up can do it around 11-13. I don't think it'll ever surpassed gunners though unless I can get my hands on Elemental+5 Handicraft+7 charm.

I don't know if there was any hype with the Sedition at all. It can't do hame for whatever the reason though the damage stream is pretty much continous due to how it works. Also it does tail cutting duty much better than blademasters with short-reach if you're know the exact tail movement of the monster you hunt.
Again, if you're not using this bad boy right here, I can understand the frustration of having to recalibrate your crosshair everytime you do sidestep for reloading.
Yes I'm really love that piece of accessory.

The reason that the Sedition can't really hame well is because even with the reloading gimmick, it can't put out the constant stream of damage that a siege-mode HBG can.

I feel like we're on the same page here, other than our disagreement over the Sedition. I'm not telling anyone not to use the Sedition, if they like it, I'm just saying that I don't use it and trying to give some insight into why other people might be down on it.

And I just use my built-in C-stick to nudge the crosshair over after a sidestep, thank you very much.

spiritfox

The Sedition is good for hunts where you have monsters with different elemental weaknesses. It's one of the highest damaging non-ele LBGs, especially with rapid fire Slicing.

So the only other mission I have left in SP is Bad Hair Rajang. How did you guys tackle this solo?

To go back to that hacking discussion, I think the fun of this game is absolutely dissolved when you've been hunting the same monster twenty, thirty, etc times and the rare drop still doesn't happen. Instead of feeling triumphant when it comes in, all you can say is "fucking finally." I'd have no problems with a person who decided that grinding the monster over and over was becoming tedious and sucking the fun out of the game.

Wolfe

;____________; I'm garbage!?

Well I have no mixed sets with honed blade and challenger +2 and I use full GX Hunter, so I must be ultra garbage :p

Then I'm an ultra garbage for refusing to mix any blademaster set ever.

Personally it's kinda boring to see people wearing the same mixed set online in random rooms. I'm not against people wearing mixed set, since I do it too for gunner (but it's kinda moot since Sororal Set with Esurient Z coat still looks like a full set), but I don't like being told of what really "best" to play either. Yeah you got numbers, formula, yada yada to prove that, but there's a reason why everyone not go with 3 HBG and 1 LBG support setup to kill monsters. Part of the best fun that I got from MH4U right now is mix-matching a full set with the charm I have to get the best result. I always wondering myself what could I do with this set if I mixed it with this charm when I'm idly browsing through armor list in Ping's Dex. I think the same could be said to gunners who mix-match armor pieces to get the best result like tuffy did.

LOL at the bolded, I totally quote replied to Amethyst before I saw your reply to my post. Ultra garbage thinks alike I guess haha.

Completely agree on the second part.

Wolfe

The fashion hunter in me abhors mix sets. Most of them look like ass.

That's one reason I stopped using the honed blade mixed set based off Rajang belt due to how awful that piece of gear looks outside of it's intended set.

You'd prolly get a kick out of my most recent mixed set:

Rebellion Helm (Relic, the knight helm with the spikes that sort of form a crown, not the open face one)
Rebellion Mail X
Ace Vambraces
Hawkcoil X
Ace Greaves

Gives me Honed Blade, Razor Sharp and... Outdoorsman. That's it. It's balls but it looks cool imo. Definitely just a fashion set I use on non serious hunts at times. I was trying to make something else using the helm, chest and charm as a base but was having trouble finding anything I wanted to make.

Rafavert

Bit late here, but are you bringing 99 Huskberries and Needleberries to combine for more Normal 2 shots mid-hunt? Are you shooting from critical distance (you'll see a larger yellow flash and the screen will shake slightly if you are)?

The more you play, the more you'll figure out how to reliably get the Normal 3 ricochets. Your best bet is shooting into their "armpit", so to speak, so it ricochets up into the wing, or shooting the legs so it ricochets up into the belly.

I started doing that, yes =)

I already knew about the critical distance since I also use the bow.

Thanks for the armit tip, though!

Riposte

Dalamadur was a bewildering fight. Took me two tries just to figure out how to get on his head. Did it solo and finished it with only 5 minutes to spare lol. Now I'm ranked 58.

I assume hitting HR 100 will take forever? A part of me wants to complete every high rank quest before moving onto G-rank. That seems unrealistic though.

upandaway

Dalamadur was a bewildering fight. Took me two tries just to figure out how to get on his head. Did it solo and finished it with only 5 minutes to spare lol. Now I'm ranked 58.

I assume hitting HR 100 will take forever? A part of me wants to complete every high rank quest before moving onto G-rank. That seems unrealistic though.
I'm that kind of guy too and I still have a ton of HR6/7 quests to do, and I'm G2. It's just impossible to do it before progressing onwards.

I'd be down to clear some of them with you next weekend if you have any left by then

Top Bottom