• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

tuffy

HR with the powderstones are a pain.
Luckily, none of those are key quests. I did them solo by killing off the big monster then relying on healing Palicos and Dash Juices to get the Powderstones back to base. The hardest one to complete solo turned out to be that lowly "Deliver 10 Coals" quest! If the RNG wasn't in my favor, it wasn't worth sitting around waiting for nodes to respawn so I'd have to abandon and retry. So infuriating when I'd have 8 or 9 coals but no way to mine any more. I'm glad one's optional too.

Tom_Cody

High five! I also made G2 during the weekend. And also sporting a Regios X set. Such originality, many diverse skills. Yay :p

And after 150 hours of Charge Blade, I want to mix up things a bit so I'm crafting the Seregios Gunlance. Wish me luck.
I played bow up through the end of high rank and I'm now loving Switch Axe. Good luck with Gunlance. That was one of the finalists when I took on SA. I'm still probably going to play around with it as soon as I build up enough extra parts to craft a Seltas X set:
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/seltas-helm-x

I love the female design:
v9fG6pR.png
(Pictured is Seltas Z, but they are the same except for the color)

Sounds good, last night we mainly stuck to 3 people, so probably have a spot open whenever you get around. If it's full when you join let me know and I'll "accidentally" boot out Keoni.

I really like using Long Sword on Brachy, it's not one of my better weapons, but it just feels like a boxing match. Short jab pokes, bouncing around with fade slashes. Dual Blades (once I get a reactor...) will be fun to try as well. They have a similar feel to me.

Too bad I carry you often. :p

Nuke brachy tonight again.

Tom_Cody

I finally unlocked High Rank quests! These are great, but I am in desperate need of new armour.
I'd really like to go after the new Nerscylla armour, but man do I hate fighting those guys, the tetsucabra is so much easier to kill.
Nice work!

Tetsu X is definitely a solid starter HR set. Easy to craft and it will give you the defensive boost you're after. I actually used it into G-2 when I switched to Switch Axe from Bow.

What weapon do you use? We might be able to offer you more specific armor advice.

Nuke brachy with tail chopped off = 3% chance...

Body carve = 2%

So cutting off the tail and carving the body are two almost equal chances of getting a reactor?

Kater

Banned
Grabbed another hammer since I found some Worn Hammer. Was excited when I saw the extreme amount of Dragon Damage on the Meteoric Core so I decided to go down that path.

tumblr_niwm8d8cQD1u5whmlo1_400.png

Stomped HR Gore in 4 minutes, I think. Broke everything on him, jesus. Now I feel bad for abandoning that weapon type for so long.

Chuckpebble

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest. Though since you probably have a lot of high rank gear already, it wouldn't take much to get through the 5 low rank HR3 key quests and the Dah'ren Mohran urgent in order to unlock expeditions outright. I bet you could tackle them solo at this point if need be if you're all the way to Caravan 10.

Yeah, that's looking like the easy part compared to the actual grinding for fragments bit. Guess I need to build a pack of treasure kitties from the looks of it, too.

I don't know if anybody saw on Reddit but a guy made that armor program useable on mac without needing to boot into windows. Although in my case I tried using it and it does work but on my current Macbook it's very system intensive.

tuffy

I don't know if anybody saw on Reddit but a guy made that armor program useable on mac without needing to boot into windows. Although in my case I tried using it and it does work but on my current Macbook it's very system intensive.
I hadn't seen that, though I assume it's using a Wine wrapper of some sort. Link?

It's pretty resource-intensive in general since the algorithm is basically: "take everything with positive points in the requested skills, try all the combinations, and list whatever activates those skills."

I hadn't seen that, though I assume it's using a Wine wrapper of some sort. Link?

It's pretty resource-intensive in general since the algorithm is basically: "take everything with positive points in the requested skills, try all the combinations, and list whatever activates those skills."

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/38c5gb/athenas_armour_set_search_106b_for_mac/
And yeah its exactly as you say. Wine wrapper, and I had no idea how it worked so now it makes sense.

Greddleok

Nice work!

Tetsu X is definitely a solid starter HR set. Easy to craft and it will give you the defensive boost you're after. I actually used it into G-2 when I switched to Switch Axe from Bow.

What weapon do you use? We might be able to offer you more specific armor advice.

Ok cool, I'll work on the Tetsu X for now. Thanks!

I am using the Stealth Glaive+ I really love the glaives.
I really like the twin blades and the long sword too, but I don't have the option to craft any high level ones so I've just been upgrading my glaive.

So after 100 hours I might be done with this game.

Just got to 10* caravan after easily beating the last 9* quests and, wow, what a step up.

The silver rathalos is kicking my arse something terrible. It's ridiculous and not fun. He just locks in on me and combos me to oblivion. I've tried flashbombs and my usual trick (trap, pill, go ham) but it's not working. The other 10* I've unlocked (sergios + zingore) isn't much better either.

I'm not sure I have it in me to go farming again to be honest.

Any help?

For what it's worth I have the tetsu s armor with 354 def and the aslat charge blade, attack 669. It has some white sharpness.

For what it's worth I have the tetsu s armor with 354 def and the aslat charge blade, attack 669. It has some white sharpness.

That armor is way, way too low. You're entering G-rank, you should start having armors with base 500 defense, minimum. Tetsu X, not S, for example. Your weapon also isn't leveled up at all, and that might be causing some problems. Do you know how to supercharge your shield? That can help if you're not able to play online and get G-rank materials with friends.

Just got to 10* caravan after easily beating the last 9* quests and, wow, what a step up.

The silver rathalos is kicking my arse something terrible. It's ridiculous and not fun. He just locks in on me and combos me to oblivion. I've tried flashbombs and my usual trick (trap, pill, go ham) but it's not working. The other 10* I've unlocked (sergios + zingore) isn't much better either.

Any help?

He was a huge wake up call for me as well. It took me a good 6 attempts before killing. All I can advise is that when he goes high up into the sky you need to prepare to dive jump to avoid that tail poison. Flash bombs absolutely help. What armor skills are you using?

Tom_Cody

Any help?

I assume you haven't been playing much online?

I didn't start playing online until I reached Caravan 10 after hitting a similar wall to the one you're facing. If I'm correct in my assumption, I strongly suggest that you check it out. I personally strongly tend towards single-play experiences, but the online is fantastic and there are no downsides. Everyone gets their own rewards and monsters simply die faster.

Regarding Silver Rath, beyond upgrading your equipment, I would just say that you need to be sure to get the hang of its dive bomb attacks. Make sure your camera is focused on it whenever it is in there air. It's not actually that hard to evade its air attacks once you get used to the timing. That said, it is a step up in difficulty for sure.

Beats

The Silver Rathalos is High Rank in 10* though. That armor and weapon should be fine. You mostly want to be hitting the legs or wings if you can since they take the most cut damage besides the back.

That armor is way, way too low. You're entering G-rank, you should start having armors with base 500 defense, minimum. Tetsu X, not S, for example. Your weapon also isn't leveled up at all, and that might be causing some problems. Do you know how to supercharge your shield? That can help if you're not able to play online and get G-rank materials.

Hey thanks. So I'm under levelled again. I blasted through level 9 killing in 20 minutes so thought my blade was at least decent (I've only just got it). I know how to charge it, thanks. I don't use that much except for the charge it adds to the axe for attacking.

Not sure I even have a quest to farm for tetsu x at the moment? It's a bit stupid to dump you into g rank without giving you the chance to level up.

I'm only hr4 online as play mostly on my commute. At home I tend to play my Wii u (Splatoon's awesome)

Tom_Cody

Ok cool, I'll work on the Tetsu X for now. Thanks!

I am using the Stealth Glaive+ I really love the glaives.
I really like the twin blades and the long sword too, but I don't have the option to craft any high level ones so I've just been upgrading my glaive.
The Tetsu armor is probably a good choice then since you haven't zeroed in on one specifc weapon/play-style.

Also, I made an error. You will be going for the Tetsu S set.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/chest/tetsucabra-mail-s

And be sure to fully upgrade the armor with stones once you craft it. You will continue to get better armor stones as you continue to progress through the game.

Hey thanks. So I'm under levelled again. I blasted through level 9 killing in 20 minutes so thought my blade was at least decent (I've only just got it). I know how to charge it, thanks. I don't use that much except for the charge it adds to the axe for attacking.

Not sure I even have a quest to farm for tetsu x at the moment? It's a bit stupid to dump you into g rank without giving you the chance to level up.

I'm only hr4 online as play mostly on my commute. At home I tend to play my Wii u (Splatoon's awesome)

Splatoon is awesome.

I don't think there's a Testsu G rank in caravan, but if you're willing to, you can play all the Guild Quests solo as well. The shield charge also boosts your shield's blocking ability up to that of a Lance, AKA to the highest power possible, which is why I asked.

Tom_Cody

Hey thanks. So I'm under leveled again. I blasted through level 9 killing in 20 minutes so thought my blade was at least decent (I've only just got it). I know how to charge it, thanks. I don't use that much except for the charge it adds to the axe for attacking.

G-Rank is 99% online, and you won't unlock any of it offline unless you catch up in online first.

If you aren't going to play online, you are essentially at the end of the offline mode. There are still a handful of quests for you though, and more equipment to craft.

Regarding your Charge Blade, it is Rarity 6, which means that it is craftable in HR-6 guildhall quests. Silver Rath is an HR-7 monster, so you should be looking for aiming for a rarity 7 weapon at the moment, which is the peak for high rank (this is all very general advice by the way).
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/chargeblade

To put it another way, your weapon is appropriate for Silver Rath, but you should be able to go a notch higher for the level of progress you are at in the game.

Wiseblade

Looking at the selection of Charge Blades, I feel like Capcom did the weapon a disservice. Element Blades almost universally have lower Raw damage and worse sharpness bars than their impact counterparts. The Element damage on these weapons isn't enough to compensate, either.

Thanks for all the help guys! The monhun community sure is one of the best. Sorry for brief replies, I'm on my phone.

I have Tetsu S already so maybe I don't need to increase my defence? I eat for def up too and have +def and speed charge as my skills.

Maybe I'll keep trying with what I've got for a bit. Tried about 5 times so far, maybe more.

Edit - I see the testsu s comment above wasn't aimed at me.

Looking at the selection of Charge Blades, I feel like Capcom did the weapon a disservice. Element Blades almost universally have lower Raw damage and worse sharpness bars than their impact counterparts. The Element damage on these weapons isn't enough to compensate, either.

The Element phials can do assloads more damage if used on the elemental weakpoints of monsters. It's just that Impact phials are easier to use for general purpose monster hunter.

Wiseblade

The Element phials can do assloads more damage if used on the elemental weakpoints of monsters. It's just that Impact phials are easier to use for general purpose monster hunter.
I know that, but it doesn't compete with being able to dizzy a monster in the majority of cases, especially in multiplayer. If Element Blades had better sharpness, they'd be on more equal footing.

Yrael

Phew...did the episodic quest Bonus: Code White solo with just over a minute to spare. Wasn't sure that I could make it in the time limit (15 mins) - so annoying when Ukanlos started swimming, because it was just a massive time waste. I guess Ukanlos had reduced health?

tuffy

Phew...did the episodic quest Bonus: Code White solo with just over a minute to spare. Wasn't sure that I could make it in the time limit (15 mins) - so annoying when Ukanlos started swimming, because it was just a massive time waste. I guess Ukanlos had reduced health?
I think his health is still balanced for multiplayer, but he's just a high rank monster so it balances out. I've soloed that quest a few times practicing better Ukanlos tactics in case somebody needs help with the G rank ones, but it's always a little scary when the 10 minute warning message comes up so soon into the fight.

tuffy

Anyone have a HR Teostra GQ? I need to get two tails and I'm having trouble getting the Advanced quest to show up.
Are you checking Caravan's low rank "Urgent Quests" box? He should show up there eventually and would be the easiest one to do. Though I think I do have some Teostra quests, it'll be a few hours before I'm back at my 3DS.

Are you checking Caravan's low rank "Urgent Quests" box? He should show up there eventually and would be the easiest one to do. Though I think I do have some Teostra quests, it'll be a few hours before I'm back at my 3DS.

Yeah, there's also the Guild 7 advanced that just isn't showing up.

Wolfe

Boy I cannot figure out how to get this Basarios glitch to work. The alternative is getting about 3 Earth Crystals per run and I'm not too thrilled with that concept.

I can try helping out sometime, I've only attempted the bug once but I got it to work and got my crystals and bounced but I could use a few more.

Well technically you get three body carve rolls, so double the chance of a tail carve.

Well technically not double cause that would be a 6% carve, just three 2% carves vs one 3% carve. Lol sorry I'm being dumb :p

Whats going on around here... its been a while since i posted around here.. let alone hunt with you guys.

I always seem to get play time when this thread is rather dead (late at night for me).

Guys, what is the best way to farm Rathalos plates? Kirinico has Silver Rath tail carve at 12% from the high rank quest in the tower. I've been doing that but I'm wondering if there's another quest to take to get this done quicker. I simply need one man, fml! It's also stupid I need a high rank rathalos part to make a G-rank item!

I can try helping out sometime, I've only attempted the bug once but I got it to work and got my crystals and bounced but I could use a few more.

Whenever you're available I'll try it. I'd really like to get some of the Teostra weapons.

Guys, what is the best way to farm Rathalos plates? Kirinico has Silver Rath tail carve at 12% from the high rank quest in the tower. I've been doing that but I'm wondering if there's another quest to take to get this done quicker. I simply need one man, fml!

Trading VE Silver Tickets on the Anc. Steppe to the Veggie Elder.

Does bad gameplay start to affect you? Doing Shaggy with randoms and the same guy was carting multiple times then the rest of us started to cart too.

edit: all done till tonight but man, that stupid thing just refuses to drop the better armor style.

Top Bottom