• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Riposte

Going to be doing high rank event quests, probably doing them all at least once (mostly on the second page). If anyone wants to join in, ideally HR8 and using HR or early G gear:

29-2574-1650-9950

Beats

Going to be doing high rank event quests, probably doing them all at least once (mostly on the second page). If anyone wants to join in, ideally HR8 and using HR or early G gear:

29-2574-1650-9950

I joined. I remade my late high rank/early g-rank set since I took them out of my equipment sets a little while ago.

deim0s

29-2574-1650-9950

Nice to finish the session with a Fatalis. Intense shit, he's crawling around the place.

PKrockin

O0qndka.jpg

Yrael

This is really frustrating. According to GameFAQs, you do have to beat Gogmazios before unlocking G3 Shagaru Magala. I was really hoping to get the final Shagaru Magala dual blades in order to beat Gogmazios. Has anyone here soloed Gog, and if so, what weapon did you use? I can't play online due to poor connection where I am.

I recommend taking the super ballista ammo and dense marcoal with you, which can be bought at the Wyceum once you've upgraded. The former is useful for knocking the Dragonator off Gog's back, the latter is fuel for the Destroyer. As far as dragon weapons go, the Stygian Zinogre switch axe can be fully upgraded before Gog.

Ulthwe

Out of curiosity I watched the original MH4 TGS 2011 reveal trailer yesterday and boy it looks formidably rough!

xdoTmgl.png

Compared to the game we're playing today (three and a half years later!) I found some bits interesting:
  • The Tigrex part in the intro video of MH4U and this reveal trailer look quite similar.
  • You didn't hit the monster to mount it, simply jumped on it.
  • You could mount a flying Rathian.
  • There was even more verticality, walls seem higher.
  • The tilting terrain was already in place.

Do you see any other details / differences?

co1onel

Out of curiosity I watched the original MH4 TGS 2011 reveal trailer yesterday and boy it looks formidably rough!

xdoTmgl.png

Compared to the game we're playing today (three and a half years later!) I found some bits interesting:
  • The Tigrex part in the intro video of MH4U and this reveal trailer look quite similar.

IIRC, the original concept didn't have separated areas, which was laster scrapped. Whether for technical reasons or for gameplay reasons I'm not sure.

tuffy

I'm surprised by how much of the original concept made it into the final game. The reveal trailer's obviously a bunch of pre-made animations, possibly put together before the actual game mechanics had been finalized. But breakable pillars, quick climbing and long vertical climbs are all there right from the start.

I expect Monster Hunter X will have some tweaks of its own before the final game arrives.

I recommend taking the super ballista ammo and dense marcoal with you, which can be bought at the Wyceum once you've upgraded. The former is useful for knocking the Dragonator off Gog's back, the latter is fuel for the Destroyer. As far as dragon weapons go, the Stygian Zinogre switch axe can be fully upgraded before Gog.
I already unlocked those, and it still took me around 35 minutes to get Gog into the air with the Hazy Caster and Inferno/Paradis. I was really hoping to avoid having to fight Stygian Zinogre, but if it can't be avoided, would the switch axe or the sword and shield be better? I have just one S. Zin Skymerald.

Yrael

I already unlocked those, and it still took me around 35 minutes to get Gog into the air with the Hazy Caster and Inferno/Paradis. I was really hoping to avoid having to fight Stygian Zinogre, but if it can't be avoided, would the switch axe or the sword and shield be better? I have just one S. Zin Skymerald.

Not really sure which of those would get you a faster time, to be honest - it also depends on what you're most comfortable with. For the sake of being able to move quickly, perhaps the sword and shield or dual blades would be better (even though I personally am more comfortable with the SA). Most solo attempts online seem to use the dual blades.

More tips:

- Blast is also a very good type to use
- Bring cleansers to quickly get rid of the tar
- Pick up the shiny drops - these are restraints, which you can use to hold Gog in place
- Might pills are good in a pinch if you think you'll be short on time

Not really sure which of those would get you a faster time, to be honest - it also depends on what you're most comfortable with. For the sake of being able to move quickly, perhaps the sword and shield or dual blades would be better (even though I personally am more comfortable with the SA). Most solo attempts online seem to use the dual blades.

More tips:

- Blast is also a very good type to use
- Bring cleansers to quickly get rid of the tar
- Pick up the shiny drops - these are restraints, which you can use to hold Gog in place
- Might pills are good in a pinch if you think you'll be short on time
I think I'll go SnS, then, since Gog is so weak to Dragon and fast-hitting weapons are better for inflicting elemental damage.

I would use DBs (DBs and Insect Glaives are my main weapons), but the game won't let me fight a G Rank S. Magala yet and the only alternative I can think of is Twinbane Twighlight (Crimson Fatalis), which sounds like an ordeal all on its own. Chaos Gore didn't work for me.

Yeah baby, G2!

Time for some Seregios farming! I need to work on both BM and Gunner armor and 3 weapons as well. Hopefully there will be some rooms up after work when I get home. 201 hours......lord!

Yrael

I think I'll go SnS, then, since Gog is so weak to Dragon and fast-hitting weapons are better for inflicting elemental damage.

I would use DBs (DBs and Insect Glaives are my main weapons), but the game won't let me fight a G Rank S. Magala yet and the only alternative I can think of is Twinbane Twighlight (Crimson Fatalis), which sounds like an ordeal all on its own. Chaos Gore didn't work for me.

The good thing about Crimson Fatalis is that all of its parts drop pretty easily once the monster is down - the rare things, like Teostra Gem and Large Elder Dragon Gem, are acquired from other monsters.

There is also a dragon Dual Blade formed from Lao Shen parts - you get those by trading parts at the Wycoon.

Tom_Cody

Yeah baby, G2!

Time for some Seregios farming! I need to work on both BM and Gunner armor and 3 weapons as well. Hopefully there will be some rooms up after work when I get home. 201 hours......lord!
Nice work! I just got to G2 a few days ago.

I actually had my full Seregios kit (Armor and Axe) done before getting to G2 as practically everyone in G1 rooms is either farming it or doing their urgents. I had 3 lenses by the time my urgent came up.

tuffy

Gaijin just put up his top 5 bows and LBG. So I think that leaves just the Gunlances?
His LBG list is pretty good too, though I actually prefer the Battalion Strafer slightly over the Plesioth Drencher. A bit more attack power, a little bit more defense, and rapid-fire poison lv. 1 instead of sleep lv. 2. Plus it looks cooler. It's also worth noting that the Rathalos LBG rapid-fires 4 normal lv. 2 shots instead of the Seregios LBG's 3, which is another power/danger trade-off.

And he's done the Gunlances already. I remember grabbing some off his video when making a weapon crafting to-do list for the awards.

I'm not familiar with Guild Quests too much because I don't play them often. If I load them up during a multiplayer session, does it increase in level each time we successfully eliminate the monster?

For example, Tuffy sent me a level 120 Orochi Kirin. Just wondering if it'll level on my end.

Rawk Hawk

I believe I'm actually contemplating a full armor set, the nuke Brachy set. I think I can make a cool Horn set from it, HH being my next weapon to learn and master. Really only dislike adrenaline +2, but if I hone for life for example, it could serve as a good buffer if my health does get low, I wouldn't need to sheath and heal. Don't want to put away the horn if I don't need too. Charming in razor sharp would make both seregios and gog horns both good options. Maestro and part breaker are what I think I would jewel in.

I know motion values effect hone for life, but not sure if damage boosts do, so it could even work twice as good in that aspect.

Anyone else using this set for horns? Maybe I'm just not familiar enough with the weapon, but on paper it seems like it would be nice: Brawn, Challenger +2, Adrenaline +2, Razor Sharp, Horn Maestro, Part Breaker (if I can squeeze it in).

I'm not familiar with Guild Quests too much because I don't play them often. If I load them up during a multiplayer session, does it increase in level each time we successfully eliminate the monster?

For example, Tuffy sent me a level 120 Orochi Kirin. Just wondering if it'll level on my end.

It should increase, just as if you found it yourself. I believe though if you send it to someone else, you always send them at the level you found it, so lv120. Even if you get it to 140, and sent it to me, I would get a lv120 version of it.

Edit: Wow, great minds EvilMario, haha.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.

Yes. It'll level up for you, but if you send it to another person it'll be level 120 for them.

The good thing about Crimson Fatalis is that all of its parts drop pretty easily once the monster is down - the rare things, like Teostra Gem and Large Elder Dragon Gem, are acquired from other monsters.

There is also a dragon Dual Blade formed from Lao Shen parts - you get those by trading parts at the Wycoon.
What worries me is fighting Crimson Fatalis. I haven't done it in this game yet. In Freedom Unite, I used the Akantor bow, but I've read that the Fatalis trio has been revamped.

Is there a G Rank Crimson Fatalis available before the "Super Crimson Fatalis" in the final scroll quest? I really want those Dragon/Blast dual blades.

Yrael

What worries me is fighting Crimson Fatalis. I haven't done it in this game yet. In Freedom Unite, I used the Akantor bow, but I've read that the Fatalis trio has been revamped.

Is there a G Rank Crimson Fatalis available before the "Super Crimson Fatalis" in the final scroll quest? I really want those Dragon/Blast dual blades.

Ah, that's a good point...there's a Crimson Fatalis quest available in solo mode (Advanced: Red Dragon's Dawn), but this gives High Rank materials, not G rank, so no, unfortunately you wouldn't be able to upgrade all the way to the highest level without taking out Gog first. :(

I have fought Crimson Fatalis in G rank, and didn't find it as bad as expected, although it does hit really hard. The key for me was to stay around its hind legs, and also to jump on it from a ledge wherever possible to get a mounted attack.

Ah, that's a good point...there's a Crimson Fatalis quest available in solo mode (Advanced: Red Dragon's Dawn), but this gives High Rank materials, not G rank, so no, unfortunately you wouldn't be able to upgrade all the way to the highest level without taking out Gog first. :(

I have fought Crimson Fatalis in G rank, and didn't find it as bad as expected, although it does hit really hard. The key for me was to stay around its hind legs, and also to jump on it from a ledge wherever possible to get a mounted attack.

Yeah, as melee staying at the hind legs makes black Fatalis and crimson Fatalis both braindead fights.

xdoTmgl.png

That pillar area where the Tigrex is knocking them down as the hunter jumps across them is in the game. Unfortunately it's only in expeditions and you never fight a large monster in there anyways.

Ulthwe

Yep, it's a really cool, nice looking area im the expeditions, even fighting a meager Seltas in there would be nice.

Renewed

Doing some G rank hunts for material trading. We'll be taking turns. I'll remove password about 15 minutes after this post if no one's around.

42-8466-9317-4675 Pass: 1234

Edit: 1 spot open if you're interested!

javadoze

Doing some G rank hunts for material trading. We'll be taking turns. I'll remove password about 15 minutes after this post if no one's around.

42-8466-9317-4675 Pass: 1234

Sure, I'll join.

EDIT: Good hunts.

There should be a spot open if anyone else wants to join.

Renewed

Beats, Java, and Seele! Thanks for the hunts, finally got my annoying stuff out of the way. Now I can focus on getting materials and getting ready for Apex.

Wolfe

That pillar area where the Tigrex is knocking them down as the hunter jumps across them is in the game. Unfortunately it's only in expeditions and you never fight a large monster in there anyways.

That bugs me every time I do my 140 Cham GQ as it only has 3 areas and the middle area is that one with the pillars. Such a cool room to fight some of the smaller to medium monsters in yet all it ends up being is a connecting room that you run through just to get to the next area.

By far the coolest room available in the Everwood imo.

I'm going to attempt to host a room. I need 4 Seltas Queen Moonlashes, so break the tail on the giant bug as soon as possible.

19-3317-4723-9248

We'll do Mean and Green as it appears, otherwise it's gotta be the capture mission Strutting the Royal Runway.

Renoir

so.. with the new game announced i could not help but to think..
Is my stuff going to get carried over ? Im just now reaching "leet" status
Do you usually get a bonus or something from playing prior games?

No, but you probably have a good year until the game comes worldwide, at least. The date announced was only for JP release.

tuffy

Nothing carried over going from 3 Ultimate to 4 Ultimate other than the basic knowledge of how Monster Hunter works and how some of the older monsters behaved (which is quite helpful, actually). I'm not expecting anything to carry over to Monster Hunter X either, but I don't think anybody knows for sure.

Top Bottom