• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Wolfe

The Black Belt helm is pretty easy. Color code is the hardest one, but you get HGE on the GS set so once you separate the raths it becomes kinda cake

I've got half the coins for it so far but each time I try to do arena my net starts crappin out for whatever reason lol.

Speaking of which did that room drop or did my net finally give up on me (Zet, Sheng)?

Edit: prolly me, can't even connect to see if the room's still up :p

Doopliss

Im this close to giving up on the Felyne Hairband X and the G.Knight Boots. Took me 47 minutes to do the Triple Tigrexes. It doesnt help that i'm inexperienced with all the weapons available to me in that arena. Went with the hammer and i figure with me throwing myself at the wall long enough, i'll eventually get it down to a respectable 30 minutes. Ima have the same problem with the Diablos one, but i know the basic of the LBG and DBs
The tigrex quest isn't necessary for the Hairband. You can get Legend Coin Gs from the apex deviljho quest which is much easier.

andthebeatgoeson

Got a few hours under my belt in MH4U now. Doing the first Kecha Wacha hunt...it runs off to rest. Then I accidentally hit my power button on my N3DSXL with my pinky.

Why the fuck did they place it there? Why isn't there a confirmation of closing the game? Why doesn't it have a timer on push? WHY?

I'm turbomad.

As long as you aren't one of those guys who doesn't save after every hunt, u should be good. And don't worry, the game will make you redo every mission available. In a way.

As long as you aren't one of those guys who doesn't save after every hunt, u should be good. And don't worry, the game will make you redo every mission available. In a way.

He's talking about mid-mission. No way to save his progress in that hunt.

But I gotta wonder how you're gripping that 3DS, I've never had an issue with the power button once. It's pretty hard to push in too.

Tom_Cody

I spent most of my play time this weekend farming Ancient Shards... and still not a single Worn Switch Axe. What a soul crushing experience.

I had been lead to believe by this thread that the results were purely random, but I searched around a bit last night and I found a lot of online speculation that AS results are tied into your charm table. Meaning there are specific odds that dictate what weapons you will get, and they reset whenever you load your save file. My anecdotal evidence says that this is true. I didn't reload my game for most of the weekend (I just opened/closed the lid) and during this time I continued to get the same few worn weapons (plus the other rarity 4 weapons that can result). As soon as I tried quitting out and re-loading, the variety of worn weapons immediately changed. It is good to now know that, instead of perpetually grinding, I should re-load my save after ever 3-4 runs.

Still, even after learning this, I didn't get a Worn Switch Axe in the next 6-8 runs. Just more variety of the other weapons. Ugh. I really don't want to keep doing this.

At least I now have literally millions of Z in extra materials I can sell. And all of the Rathalos parts I could ever need, lol.

ACE 1991

Does anyone know of any good deals for this game? Recently ordered a New 3DS XL and thinking about getting this game after GAF managed to convince me.

tuffy

Unlike 3 Ultimate, which seemed to go on sale for $20 every other week, I haven't seen any huge deals on 4 Ultimate yet. Like Glitch says, the $30 Amazon sells it for is one of the cheapest options.

spiritfox

I spent most of my play time this weekend farming Ancient Shards... and still not a single Worn Switch Axe. What a soul crushing experience.

I had been lead to believe by this thread that the results were purely random, but I searched around a bit last night and I found a lot of online speculation that AS results are tied into your charm table. Meaning there are specific odds that dictate what weapons you will get, and they reset whenever you load your save file. My anecdotal evidence says that this is true. I didn't reload my game for most of the weekend (I just opened/closed the lid) and during this time I continued to get the same few worn weapons (plus the other rarity 4 weapons that can result). As soon as I tried quitting out and re-loading, the variety of worn weapons immediately changed. It is good to now know that, instead of perpetually grinding, I should re-load my save after ever 3-4 runs.

Still, even after learning this, I didn't get a Worn Switch Axe in the next 6-8 runs. Just more variety of the other weapons. Ugh. I really don't want to keep doing this.

At least I now have literally millions of Z in extra materials I can sell. And all of the Rathalos parts I could ever need, lol.

Meanwhile, I have 3. =P

Also, fuck that stupid Konchu who woke up the Jho while I was sleep bombing it. Luckily I still managed to kill it in the end.

tuffy

Ok, got it. I'll check out the demo first. These games seem kind of overwhelming, but at the same time right up my alley as well.
That's not a bad idea. Just keep in mind it's more of a move/counter-move game instead of one where you just go hacking away nonstop. And all the weapons play quite differently from one another, so the demo's perfect for trying them out to find a style you enjoy.

tm24

The tigrex quest isn't necessary for the Hairband. You can get Legend Coin Gs from the apex deviljho quest which is much easier.
Yeah, but Legend coins are only a 35% drop off Jho. Still, i have 2 legend coins, might as well keep doing jho and see if luck is on my side

Tom_Cody

Meanwhile, I have 3. =P

Also, fuck that stupid Konchu who woke up the Jho while I was sleep bombing it. Luckily I still managed to kill it in the end.
Eh, I'm not even specifically jealous. I'm just happy to have cracked the code (so to speak) so I won't have to waste my effort going forward like I did this weekend.

I'm using Charge Blade. My armor skills are: -

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Guard +2

Would it be better if it was: -

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Challenger +2

Essentially, replacing Guard +2 with Challenger +2? I use Guard Points more in SP than MP (except for some fights in MP). I feel I should go Challenger +2 when playing MP and go Guard +2 when playing SP.

Any thoughts on this expert hunters?

Renoir

Got my crown. :)
Been doing some expedition to get some abrasive. But I'm looking for the meteor kind. Where do I find that?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Guard +2

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Challenger +2

Essentially, replacing Guard +2 with Challenger +2? I use Guard Points more in SP than MP (except for some fights in MP). I feel I should go Challenger +2 when playing MP and go Guard +2 when playing SP.

No need for Guard +2, Challenger all the way. I toyed with Guard myself but the damage output from Challenger and Attack Up is too good to pass up especially with a Charge Blade.

deim0s

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Guard +2

Honed Blade
Razor Sharp
Artillery Novice
Challenger +2

Get Challenger +2 and eat for Black Belt.

Pila

Yo dawgs, I wanna come back to the good old greatsword, it's been too much time. I guess I'm not playing it since low rank, that's no bueno.

I'm G2 now, only full sets for me (yeah I know, it's obsessive ^^). What's the best armor available in G1/G2 for the GS? In 3U I rocked that nice Diablos set, is it still a good option? Fastcharge would be really nice so I'm looking at that Lagia set as well.

In order to revive my greatsword love I also need... new greatswords I guess ^^ I started the Magala line but it was ages ago, I think my current one is Rare4 lol... toss me some tips plz, and stay safe while hunting those poor creatures. :)

Tom_Cody

Yo dawgs, I wanna come back to the good old greatsword, it's been too much time. I guess I'm not playing it since low rank, that's no bueno.

I'm G2 now, only full sets for me (yeah I know, it's obsessive ^^). What's the best armor available in G1/G2 for the GS? In 3U I rocked that nice Diablos set, is it still a good option? Fastcharge would be really nice so I'm looking at that Lagia set as well.

In order to revive my greatsword love I also need... new greatswords I guess ^^ I started the Magala line but it was ages ago, I think my current one is Rare4 lol... toss me some tips plz, and stay safe while hunting those poor creatures. :)
This is a good place to start. I know you said you prefer full sets, but there are recommendations there for good mixed sets as well.
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/30stkm/mh4u_greatsword_gs_megathread/
"A good progression is going for the Regios armor (good for most Blademasters) and then for Diablos X for your first dedicated GS set. You get Crit Draw, Quick Sheathe and Tremor Res, and can easily gem in Sharpness +1 or Focus. Don't forget your Cera Cymmetry while farming those Diablos!!!
The next step should be a Teostra mixed set, featuring Kaiser X torso, gloves and waist, and any Torso Up helm and boots (I'm currently using Skull Mask and Velociprey X boots). This gives you Sheathe Control and Sharpness +1, and can gem in whatever you want with that 3 slotted x3 chest (a +3 Crit Draw gem turns into +9, a +4 Focus turns into a +12, you get the idea). Throw in any decent Crit Draw/Focus charm and you get pretty much the perfect GS set."

I don't use Great Sword, but my general advice for blade master weapons is to keep in mind what endgame weapon(s) you want and work backwards from that to whatever rarity level you're at. Cera Cymmetry (Diablos) is widely considered the best/favorite in the game, and you can make it now in G2. If I were you I'd just grind the Diablos for the armor and sword.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/weapon/greatsword/cera-cymmetry
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/diablos-helm-x

deim0s

Used Diablos armor with a Vangis head for some Anti-Rajang GS love.

Oh yeah, Rogue Sedition is a must have, see Leezards post below.

Leezard

Cera symmetry is good, but you should also consider Rogue Sedition. It does not require sharpness+1, so you can make some more interesting armor sets when you do not need sharpness+1.

Used Diablos armor with a Vangis head for some Anti-Rajang GS love.

Uh, what?

The vangis helm adds some bits into attack and eating, but neither nearly enough to really add anything to the set. Instead you lose any ability to make it to Sharpness+1 neatly (which normally would take either a handicraft+3 talisman or a three slot talisman for the gem), and you deactivate most of your other abilities, whereas a full Diablos set comes with Crit Draw, Quick Sheath, and Tremor res built in for free.

Diablos set is great, Lagia set also kicks ass and was what I mostly used as a GS until I got into G-crown, although you'll get less mileage out of it if you aren't using a GS that needs Awaken.

Pila

Thanks guys, you're great as always :) I'm going to get a Diablos set first, maybe I'll forge a Lagia one later for some awaken fun.

deim0s

Uh, what?

The vangis helm adds some bits into attack and eating, but neither nearly enough to really add anything to the set. Instead you lose any ability to make it to Sharpness+1 neatly (which normally would take either a handicraft+3 talisman or a three slot talisman for the gem), and you deactivate most of your other abilities, whereas a full Diablos set comes with Crit Draw, Quick Sheath, and Tremor res built in for free.

Diablos set is great, Lagia set also kicks ass and was what I mostly used as a GS until I got into G-crown, although you'll get less mileage out of it if you aren't using a GS that needs Awaken.

I should've clarified I was using X version of the armor plus a Handicraft +5 talisman:

1GK4KA8.jpg

Wiseblade

So after more attempts than I care to mention, I have finally slain the village G-Rank Furious Rajang! I'd mainly attemptied it with Dual Blades, but before long I'd get caught by a glancing hit followed by a light sneeze and die. I tried switching to the Tigerstripe Zamtrios and finally found success.

NEVER AGAIN

ACE 1991

Bought the game on Amazon Warehouse, should get it in a few days once I get my 3DS. So, for someone who knows very little about the series, what are some required articles/videos to help speed up the learning curve?

Top Bottom