• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Bought the game on Amazon Warehouse, should get it in a few days once I get my 3DS. So, for someone who knows very little about the series, what are some required articles/videos to help speed up the learning curve?
Projared has a few guides on his channel that helped me alot when I first started out. It's the beginner's guide to monster hunter iirc. And gaijin hunter has really good weapon tutorials/advice-y stuff on his channel as well.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Bought the game on Amazon Warehouse, should get it in a few days once I get my 3DS. So, for someone who knows very little about the series, what are some required articles/videos to help speed up the learning curve?
You can practice this :
Gaijinhunter has a number of useful videos.

Here are tutorials for the different weapons, and some more info.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT84SVapAfSSD_iMfpKbFbA
On the demo. The Tetsucabra should be good practice.

I'd say try to get the feel for the Great Sword at first so you understand how the basis of how game works. Or try the first weapons that seems fun to you.

ACE 1991

Projared has a few guides on his channel that helped me alot when I first started out. It's the beginner's guide to monster hunter iirc. And gaijin hunter has really good weapon tutorials/advice-y stuff on his channel as well.

Thanks! Any general tips that will save me some frustration once I start a fresh character? I understand that I should experiment with all the weapons and commit to one initially, yes? According to the above poster, I guess I am correct :p

Projared has a few guides on his channel that helped me alot when I first started out. It's the beginner's guide to monster hunter iirc.

Definitely go look up these ones. Though they kind of span two games, they're the bare bonesest guide you can get to the very basics of the game, and were real helpful for me.

Thanks! Any general tips that will save me some frustration once I start a fresh character? I understand that I should experiment with all the weapons and commit to one initially, yes?

If you want! Nothing says you have to.

A big thing to keep in mind is that armor is more a system for buffing than it is for boosting your defense. A mistake I made in the very start was to smack together different pieces to try and get the most defense possible, when I really should have been going for basic sets that would activate skills, which are usually more useful than your defense rating.

not to say that defense isn't important, but it entirely the focus of armor.

deim0s

Gaijin Hunter is your friend:

Also, immediately available after a few story setup/intro... there are 1-star quests at the guildmarm. Each quest is set up for you to try a weapon out against the same (weak) monster. So do some (or all of them) and get a feel for each weapon.

ACE 1991

Gaijin Hunter is your friend:

Also, immediately available after a few story setup/intro... there are 1-star quests at the guildmarm. Each quest is set up for you to try a weapon out against a weak monster. So do some (or all of them) and get a feel for each weapon.

Great, thanks! So this game runs differently on new 3ds, right? This is the model I just bought. Is there better framerate?

Tom_Cody

Ditto what everyone else has said. The ProJared videos do a great job of explaining the pace and the flow of the games, so I'd start there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6iYOHaGGKk

Thanks! Any general tips that will save me some frustration once I start a fresh character? I understand that I should experiment with all the weapons and commit to one initially, yes? According to the above poster, I guess I am correct :p
Exactly.

Here is where the Gaijin Hunter videos come in. He does a great job of explaining how to use the weapons but, more than that, he explains why each of them is uniquely appealing. All are viable, but they lend themselves to different playstyles. Some are more offensive than defense (and vise versa), some require a lot of specialized pairings for specific monsters (and thus more crafting) while others are more all-in-one, etc, etc.

Renoir

Ive been doing expeditions. Getting abrasives and other items.I've been getting relics armor and weapons.thing is these items especially the armors,even when rare 9 are pretty crappy. Is any of it worth polishing?

I did find a LS 825 DMG 340 drgn. Do armors ever get this good?

Wolfe

Does Guard +2 actually improves Guard Points in any way?

Definitely, to the full extent of which I'm not quite sure but it at the very least it reduces knockback during GP and allows for quicker recovery or retaliation. I've also heard it increases the damage dealt when GPing but I don't know for certain.

Couldn't tell ya if it's worth sacrificing other skills over though.

tuffy

I've been hacking away through the low rank quests with the Charge Blade on a second file, and so far it's been fun. The weapon has a nice flow to its morphs, straightforward gauge management, handy side-hops and satisfying burst attacks. My runs against early game stuff on my second file go faster than I was expecting, but test hunts on my main file are still far slower than my bowgun times. So enjoyable as it is, I'll definitely need a lot more practice before bringing Charge Blades to a real fight.

tm24

It's complete!
8NsqzHI.jpg

JJeU2ub.jpg

feTgrEo.jpg

Nice work^^^^^

If anyone is willing to help me get out of G3, my urgent is up. Made a room.

11-4891-4117-8553

One random at the moment. Just joined.

Room full!

Edit: complete! Thank you!

I've been hacking away through the low rank quests with the Charge Blade on a second file, and so far it's been fun. The weapon has a nice flow to its morphs, straightforward gauge management, handy side-hops and satisfying burst attacks. My runs against early game stuff on my second file go faster than I was expecting, but test hunts on my main file are still far slower than my bowgun times. So enjoyable as it is, I'll definitely need a lot more practice before bringing Charge Blades to a real fight.

Some tips from a CB user: -

Remember to use X+A for shield thrust in your SNS mode. It's fast and does decent damage for its speed. Shield thrust on the head counts for a KO. You can transition into directly Super burst by pressing X+A again.

After a sidestep, X will do a spin slash that covers some distance. You can use this to move closer / reposition yourself.

Try not to do Ultra Burst. It's not worth it most of the time. It's best to keep your shield charged. Make sure you master the Ultra cancel into Super Burst.

The X upward and downward axe swing is great for hitting in-air mobs. With enough damage threshold, you can pull them out of the air.

If a mob is downed/disabled and you're in the right position, you can press A,A for the 2 round axe swings, X for the upsward swing, then A, A, A for the round swings into super burst. I find this is one of the most efficient damage dealer to the downed mob, especially if you have access to the head.

You can Guard Point most roars and counterattack directly into Super Burst with X+A.

**Super = AED.

Tom_Cody

Finally got my first Worn Switch Axe after days of farming! And I can be confident that I'll get the next two that I want now that I know that Worn drops are tied to be your relic table.

Now I just need to clear out the dozens (an understatement) of talismans that are clogging up my inventory.

Question:
I now have over a hundred talismans that I need to clear out, so I am wondering if they have a melding use or if I should just sell them? I'm speaking of lower level talismans. Is it even worth bringing them to the melding pot? What do you guys do with extra talismans?

tuffy

Some tips from a CB user:
<snip!>
Good stuff to know, thanks! I certainly need to shield thrust more, and the best sort of burst to use on downed monsters was a bit of a mystery. There's no substitute for lots of weapon practice to really get a feel for these things.
Question:
I now have over a hundred talismans that I need to clear out, so I am wondering if they have a melding use or if I should just sell them? I'm speaking of lower level talismans. Is it even worth bringing them to the melding pot? What do you guys do with extra talismans?
I just sell them outright. Melding lots of lower level talismans will just yield a bunch of other lower level talismans, I can only offload a few at a time and it'll take several game days before I can meld some more. When I want to do a pass through my list cleaning out talismans I really like to get rid of a bunch of junky/obsolete ones at once.

*does a wicked jump into the thread with the insect glaive*

So I picked up the game a few weeks ago and I've been working my way up casually with a bit of low rank guild quests and the caravan stuff, I just whipped Gore.

Anyway, How ya'll doin and do you have any cool insect glaive tips for an IG beginner like myself? I played the third game pretty extensively but rolled with the easy-mode switch axe there and wanted to go for something quicker this time. (IG is pretty easy mode aswell but it's fun to jump around).

I also dabble a bit in bowgunning from time to time but I'll probably do more of that at higher tiers

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Remember to use X+A for shield thrust in your SNS mode. It's fast and does decent damage for its speed. Shield thrust on the head counts for a KO. You can transition into directly Super burst by pressing X+A again.
I think it only does KO damage if you have the shield charged. And even then it does the same type of damage than the CB's Phial, so it's either KO or elemental.

Also I think that move does 2 or 3 hits (EDIT : It's 2) when it connects so it's especially useful with a status CB since there's a high chance you'll do some damage toward paralysis/sleep/poison/slime.

EDIT : Also, that moves only comes out in a combo. Can't do it from neutral position.

Charge Blade is love. Charge Blade is life.

Been a great community and thanks for all the hunts! I'm officially retiring from MH for now, as Guild Wars 2 had a big update, and I need to get rid of some games on that Steam backlog from the recent sale.

See you when MHX hits later on. :)

Wiseblade

Shield thrusts only do 12 KO damage compared to a standard blasts's 30. It's nice, but the move's true strength list in being a fast 2-hit move, good for exploiting elemental weakpoints.

jorgejjvr

*does a wicked jump into the thread with the insect glaive*

So I picked up the game a few weeks ago and I've been working my way up casually with a bit of low rank guild quests and the caravan stuff, I just whipped Gore.

Anyway, How ya'll doin and do you have any cool insect glaive tips for an IG beginner like myself? I played the third game pretty extensively but rolled with the easy-mode switch axe there and wanted to go for something quicker this time. (IG is pretty easy mode aswell but it's fun to jump around).

I also dabble a bit in bowgunning from time to time but I'll probably do more of that at higher tiers

I suggest watching Gaijin hunter's tutorial and consider perhaps upgrading your Kinsects to get effect extender and extract efficacy (the boosts last twice or three times as long and the boosts in general buff you up more, respectively). A video on how to acquire that Kinsect is also on Gaijin hunter's channel.

If you need any help online, just ask.

-Alternis

Kater

Banned
I would recommend watching GH tutorial on how to get the most balanced, powerful Kinsect as someone who has never fully upgraded their Insect Glaive.

He also has a weapon demonstration video and a guide video on the weapon, as Alternis mentioned.

I love this weapon as I can be very offensive in my playstyle and at the same time I can help out with mounting and toppling monsters a lot (look up the Mounting skill, it's very useful for that, there's also an armour set that will come out probably soon I think which gives you Rodeo God) so that my fellow hunters can get more hits on the creature.

Tom_Cody

I just sell them outright. Melding lots of lower level talismans will just yield a bunch of other lower level talismans, I can only offload a few at a time and it'll take several game days before I can meld some more. When I want to do a pass through my list cleaning out talismans I really like to get rid of a bunch of junky/obsolete ones at once.
Cool.

I already started trimming down my talismans without too much difficulty. A fair portion of them are purely bad and/or overlap with better talismans in my inventory. After trimming for redundancy, I am going to take another pass in which I will focus on weeding out purely useless skills.

Also, since talismans sort to the end of the inventory box, it actually isn't a problem if I have a lot of them.

Wiseblade

If you're drowning in frenzy shards, juju melding will give you at least 2 high grade charms no matter what you put in. It's pretty much a waste of shards though.

tuffy

Lbg or hbg?
LBG gives you mobility, fast sheathe/unsheathe speeds, and a rapid-fire mechanic that's very ammo-efficient. Especially good for elemental shots. But rapid-fire leaves you stuck in place until all the shots are fired (and sometimes features a fixed recoil delay after the shots are fired), so it can also be risky to use. I'd compare it to a ranged version of Dual Blades.

HBG is slow to sheathe/unsheathe, slow to move while unsheathed (which is why Evade Extender is so valuable), but its shots hit very hard. Features a crouching-fire mechanic that anchors you in place in exchange for big clips of full-strength shots. Also good for squeezing individual shots into pretty small openings to attack. I'd compare it to a ranged Great Sword.
Best hbg?
For normal shots, the Livid Griscannon (from Molten Tigrex). For pierce shots where you don't get a lot of safe chances to crouch-fire, the Destiny's Arm (from Crimson Fatalis). For pierce shots where you do get a lot of safe chances to crouch-fire (like against Mohran), the Gravios Gigacannon. For times where you don't get a lot of safe chances to reload at all, the Furia Sedition.

I would recommend watching GH tutorial on how to get the most balanced, powerful Kinsect as someone who has never fully upgraded their Insect Glaive.

He also has a weapon demonstration video and a guide video on the weapon, as Alternis mentioned.

I love this weapon as I can be very offensive in my playstyle and at the same time I can help out with mounting and toppling monsters a lot (look up the Mounting skill, it's very useful for that, there's also an armour set that will come out probably soon I think which gives you Rodeo God) so that my fellow hunters can get more hits on the creature.

I suggest watching Gaijin hunter's tutorial and consider perhaps upgrading your Kinsects to get effect extender and extract efficacy (the boosts last twice or three times as long and the boosts in general buff you up more, respectively). A video on how to acquire that Kinsect is also on Gaijin hunter's channel.

If you need any help online, just ask.

-Alternis

Nice. Thanks! I'll be watching through these and start saving up for the nectars, shouldn't be to bad if I just hoard them I hope. I hope I can work my way up quick enough to do some cool hunts with you :)

andthebeatgoeson

LBG gives you mobility, fast sheathe/unsheathe speeds, and a rapid-fire mechanic that's very ammo-efficient. Especially good for elemental shots. But rapid-fire leaves you stuck in place until all the shots are fired (and sometimes features a fixed recoil delay after the shots are fired), so it can also be risky to use. I'd compare it to a ranged version of Dual Blades.

HBG is slow to sheathe/unsheathe, slow to move while unsheathed (which is why Evade Extender is so valuable), but its shots hit very hard. Features a crouching-fire mechanic that anchors you in place in exchange for big clips of full-strength shots. Also good for squeezing individual shots into pretty small openings to attack. I'd compare it to a ranged Great Sword.

For normal shots, the Livid Griscannon (from Molten Tigrex). For pierce shots where you don't get a lot of safe chances to crouch-fire, the Destiny's Arm (from Crimson Fatalis). For pierce shots where you do get a lot of safe chances to crouch-fire (like against Mohran), the Gravios Gigacannon. For times where you don't get a lot of safe chances to reload at all, the Furia Sedition.
Thank you. I'm at g crown and I'm going thru some guild quests. I'm maining gs so I'm naturally interested in biggest damage (size doesn't matter? Haha).

But jeez, that's a lot to think about. I guess I need evade extender and pierce up.

tuffy

Thank you. I'm at g crown and I'm going thru some guild quests. I'm maining gs so I'm naturally interested in biggest damage (size doesn't matter? Haha).

But jeez, that's a lot to think about. I guess I need evade extender and pierce up.
Oh, and for HBG with pierce shots you're going to need to get the weapon's recoil level down to "some" to fire them without recoil. For the Destiny's Arm and Gigacannon that means Recoil Down +1, and +2 to use the Furia Sedition as a pierce gun.

So my pierce shot sets have three skills I want upfront (Evade Extender, Pierce Up, Recoil Down) which doesn't leave me a lot of options for other things! It's hard to make a set that doesn't mix in Grand Mutsu/Amagi parts somewhere.

Kater

Banned
Nice. Thanks! I'll be watching through these and start saving up for the nectars, shouldn't be to bad if I just hoard them I hope. I hope I can work my way up quick enough to do some cool hunts with you :)
For the normal Speed+, Stamina+ and Power+ you can use the Wycoon (his inventory always changes so reset it by doing quests) and the Speed++, Stamina++ and Power++ will only become relevant for you at G-Rank (but even then there is the second method GH mentions where you only need the normal + Nectars to fully upgrade the Kinsect).

And no problem. Happy to help. :)

Top Bottom