• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

jorgejjvr

Anyone up for a 126+ GQ and G rank turns room? Honwstly I'd prefer to focus on GQ since I need divine spheres but I'm down for whatever. Anyone interested?

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

Some 6 star quests are high rank.
Yes but, AFAIK, you still get LR parts and gathering items unless you are actually on 7-star or above (the separate HR menu screen). This isn't that big of an issue, but it's kind of annoying that my forward progress is not split between the more advanced monsters in 6-star and the better gear in 7-star.

There's quite a few quests that pop up in lower star/rankings as you progress, it's just that you keep hitting the prerequisites for them as you keep doing the 6-star quests! The game thinks you want more 6* so is serving them up on a large Felyne street-food platter. :)
;(

Brachydios and fun in one same sentence
I just....I can't
I'm new to the series, does he have a reputation that I'm not aware of?

I just mean that I found his attack patterns to be novel and enjoyable. And the concept of his explosive slime is just sort of stupidly fun in the context of the attempts-to-be-plausible Monster Hunter universe.

Also, I brought a bow that happened to to have a Blast type arc-shot and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to detonate his slime with it.

Good times.

Shengar

I'm starting to get a headache so I'm going to force myself to sleep, even if I now have to wake up in 4-4.5 hours.
Once, I have 4 hour sleep that give me more freshness and energy that any 8 hours sleep ever did.
I really need to learn quick sleep technique that any hunter had.
Anyone up for a 126+ GQ and G rank turns room? Honwstly I'd prefer to focus on GQ since I need divine spheres but I'm down for whatever. Anyone interested?

-Alternis
I'm down for a hunt or two as long as my internet can keep up.

No, I just have many bad experiences against Brachydios. Fuckers always put a backstep on me, hit me with its left fist, jumped back, then used it slamming fist down attack while my hunter just finished getting up.

jorgejjvr

Yes but, AFAIK, you still get LR parts and gathering items unless you are actually on 7-star or above (the separate HR menu screen). This isn't that big of an issue, but it's kind of annoying that my forward progress is not split between the more advanced monsters in 6-star and the better gear in 7-star.

;(

I just mean that I found his attack patterns to be novel and enjoyable. And the concept of his explosive slime is just sort of stupidly fun in the context of the attempts-to-be-plausible Monster Hunter universe.

Also, I brought a bow that happened to to have a Blast type arc-shot and I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to detonate his slime with it.

Good times.

Actually, those low rank 6 star quests do indeed at least give you high rank materials from the Monster you hunt. As evidenced by the "Crazy Stupid Love" 6 star caravan quest to hunt a Gore Magala. Once you complete it, even though it's in the low rank section, you'll obtain high rank Gore Magala parts.

-Alternis

Edit: I wouldn't say Brachydios has a bad reputation, but rather, blastblight in general does. It can take away so much health.

tuffy

Good times.
If you're fighting Brachy with a bow, you're going to have a fun time. When I fight him with bowguns, I have a fun time as long as I have Evade Extender to roll under his long-range explosive jumps. Folks fighting him with other weapons may have a harder time because of all the explosive slime when trying to get in close.

But I do think he's very dynamic and interesting to tangle with.

I can finally hone my first weapon! Woo!
What's the community's opinion on Life? It seems like it would work for weapons like S&S, Dual Blade and Long Sword where you're doing a flurry of attacks. I'd say it'd be great for a Rapid Fire bowgun, but to be honest, things are one-shotting you so "lifesteal" wouldn't be much of use.

Shengar

What's the community's opinion on Life? It seems like it would work for weapons like S&S, Dual Blade and Long Sword where you're doing a flurry of attacks. I'd say it'd be great for a Rapid Fire bowgun, but to be honest, things are one-shotting you so "lifesteal" wouldn't be much of use.

If you watch GH's tutorial on honed weapon, weapon attack speed doesn't affect the rate of the heal. I don't think Life is useless though. There is just too many times when I got hit by big attack, then right after that the monster got downed by other team mates. In situation like this, should I chug megapot and miss the opportunity for attack or risk it all and join in the assault? With Life honed weapon, the risk is smaller since you have the chance to heal back your health in the assault.

Mupod

wait wut? Last night weren't you still in G1?

I haven't even honed anything yet. I've had rare 9 weapons since G1, but only just last night I managed to get 3 large zenith gems. And now I've got so many weapons I use that I can't decide which one to hone, let alone what to put on it.

My instinct is always to go full offense, but I did some research and the other options seem attractive too. I think defense honing is a smart choice for gunner unless you're absolutely 100% certain you won't be hit. 60 defense and divine blessing is huge. The life steal goes off the power of your attack and the proc has a cooldown, so I don't see it being useful for gunner. Maybe nice for topping yourself off when using Peak Performance but I'd rather have defense or attack.

Last night before bed I finally managed to make my Rajang hunting horn but I don't really have an armor set to support it yet, so I don't think I'll hone it. I don't know what to use on HH anyways. Cera Cymmetry is as powerful as I hoped - I make that weapon in ever Monster Hunter game (although it used to be called King Attilart). But it's only rare 9 and uses regular zenith gems (which I don't have either).

Also on the subject of zenith gems, it's incredible how hard it is to find an apex room with people that have drive wystones. Why would you even ATTEMPT apex rajang without one? The crazy thing is I've seen HR 150+ people with level 1 or none at all.

Shengar

Also on the subject of zenith gems, it's incredible how hard it is to find an apex room with people that have drive wystones. Why would you even ATTEMPT apex rajang without one? The crazy thing is I've seen HR 150+ people with level 1 or none at all.

This is what happened when people ignoring the Caravan which makes you a hunter in the first place and not listening to what the beautiful ladies say.

jorgejjvr

I haven't even honed anything yet. I've had rare 9 weapons since G1, but only just last night I managed to get 3 large zenith gems. And now I've got so many weapons I use that I can't decide which one to hone, let alone what to put on it.

My instinct is always to go full offense, but I did some research and the other options seem attractive too. I think defense honing is a smart choice for gunner unless you're absolutely 100% certain you won't be hit. 60 defense and divine blessing is huge. The life steal goes off the power of your attack and the proc has a cooldown, so I don't see it being useful for gunner. Maybe nice for topping yourself off when using Peak Performance but I'd rather have defense or attack.

Last night before bed I finally managed to make my Rajang hunting horn but I don't really have an armor set to support it yet, so I don't think I'll hone it. I don't know what to use on HH anyways. Cera Cymmetry is as powerful as I hoped - I make that weapon in ever Monster Hunter game (although it used to be called King Attilart). But it's only rare 9 and uses regular zenith gems (which I don't have either).

The solution is simple: Hone them all! It's what I did, especially since I use many weapons frequently because of elements.

Anyways, honestly I think defense is the best choice. I find that attack doesn't increase damagw TOO much (especially if your weapon is already near the max for that weapon tier) whereas 60 bonus defense points is huge! Plus, since the divine blessing from honing isn't a skill, you can gem in divine blessing for (around) a 44% chance of the effect, and an even higher chance if you eat for Defender (Hi).

-Alternis

Ohhhh the Life has a cooldown. That would make sense then to use it for a big weapon like a Great Sword. I got that wrong.
Defense sounds like a great idea for a light bowgun, but I'd probably go full ham and do attack for a heavy bowgun if I decide to start playing it more.

Also, I am still G1, but I was able to make the "Deadly Poison" Sword & Shield, which was fairly easy. Comes from Veloci and Ioprey parts, which I've been able to find through G Rank expeditions, Harvest Tours, and 10* Caravan stuff. Nice sword too... lots of white sharpness, 3 slots, and great attack for where I'm at.

Leezard

I think honing for life on lbg can be useful. When I was fighting crimson fatalis I was left with less than 5 health after getting hit with a moderate attack. Later i could take chip damage from minor attacks, which only dealt around 10 health. I was forced to use a potion since I would get killed if I got hit by any moderate attack. Honing for life would avoid the need to use a potion for minor chip damage.

I do have peak performance as well, but that is less important than surviving. Honing for defense can definitely be good as well.

redcrayon

If you're fighting Brachy with a bow, you're going to have a fun time. When I fight him with bowguns, I have a fun time as long as I have Evade Extender to roll under his long-range explosive jumps. Folks fighting him with other weapons may have a harder time because of all the explosive slime when trying to get in close.

Frenzied Brachy in 9* caravan with a melee weapon is an exercise in playing hop-scotch while fighting a monster :D

Shengar

The solution is simple: Hone them all! It's what I did, especially since I use many weapons frequently because of elements.

Anyways, honestly I think defense is the best choice. I find that attack doesn't increase damagw TOO much (especially if your weapon is already near the max for that weapon tier) whereas 60 bonus defense points is huge! Plus, since the divine blessing from honing isn't a skill, you can gem in divine blessing for (around) a 44% chance of the effect, and an even higher chance if you eat for Defender (Hi).

-Alternis

The question is how the hell do you suppose to farm Apex monster lol

Mupod

-Alternis

Well either way it'll have to wait since I'm switching gears to Bloodborne for a little bit. I'll be playing MH on the easter weekend when I'm visiting family though. And I'll definitely be back...it'll be a while until the next MH game.

My logic for choosing attack is simple - I very rarely get hit. I've had many hunts as gunner where I didn't get hit at all. Not saying I never cart, but if I die it's 99% of the time due to being straight-up one shotted. So I'd rather have something that's always providing a benefit than something I don't necessarily use. I'd only be interested in defense honing if that meant it'd save me from one shots, which it might. I've noticed that I can just barely survive a punch from furious rajang if I'm using adamant seeds.

Ohhhh the Life has a cooldown. That would make sense then to use it for a big weapon like a Great Sword. I got that wrong.
Defense sounds like a great idea for a light bowgun, but I'd probably go full ham and do attack for a heavy bowgun if I decide to start playing it more.

Also, I am still G1, but I was able to make the "Deadly Poison" Sword & Shield, which was fairly easy. Comes from Veloci and Ioprey parts, which I've been able to find through G Rank expeditions, Harvest Tours, and 10* Caravan stuff. Nice sword too... lots of white sharpness, 3 slots, and great attack for where I'm at.

Huh, does SnS only need one zenith gem? I need 3 to hone my Najarala gun, so I could never do it as you can only get those from Apex monsters. And I only got one gem from the Caravan apex monster, which you only get to fight once.

But yeah Gaijin Hunter's video made life honing look very attractive for GS. I've noticed that as a blademaster I can play very sloppily compared to gunner, last night against hermitaur I ate damage just to get more L3 charges off. Getting healed for half my bar from those suicide charges would be hilarious.

Leezard

It's not that bad. If you want an easy fight just pick apex gravios and use a couple of gunners. He's easier than normal gravios since you get a free stun when you break them out of apex.

Tom_Cody

If you watch GH's tutorial on honed weapon, weapon attack speed doesn't affect the rate of the heal. I don't think Life is useless though. There is just too many times when I got hit by big attack, then right after that the monster got downed by other team mates. In situation like this, should I chug megapot and miss the opportunity for attack or risk it all and join in the assault? With Life honed weapon, the risk is smaller since you have the chance to heal back your health in the assault.
I am 100 hours away from having to make these decisions but I can totally relate to your Life hone comment. This is why I always have all 5 of my first-string Palicos set to heal.

I never want to have to put away my bow, so the benefit of passive healing by far trumps everything else.

Shengar

Huh, does SnS only need one zenith gem? I need 3 to hone my Najarala gun, so I could never do it as you can only get those from Apex monsters. And I only got one gem from the Caravan apex monster, which you only get to fight once.
No, I think it's depend on rarity
8 rarity=1 zenith gem
9 rarity= 3 zenith gems
10 rarity= 3 L zenith gems
It's not that bad. If you want an easy fight just pick apex gravios and use a couple of gunners. He's easier than normal gravios since you get a free stun when you break them out of apex.
I forgot that Apex Gravios exist lol

Mupod

The idea of not having to put away my HBG is pretty attractive I'll admit. Pretty sure it's the slowest sheathing weapon by far. But the thing is, when I get hit I get hit HARD. I'm not going to run around trying to slowly heal up from 20%, I'm going to heal to full immediately.

As for Apex farming, even Rajang was not bad with a competent gaf group. But it took me 4 tries last night to find an apex rajang room that had drive wystones, and even that one had a single guy trying to get carried. Had to spend most of the fight dealing with it in apex form and it was not pleasant, a lot of butt clenching happened.

No, I think it's depend on rarity
8 rarity=1 zenith gem
9 rarity= 3 zenith gems
10 rarity= 3 L zenith gems

Oh, I didn't know there were rare 8 weapons that qualified for honing.

tuffy

I figure by the time the endgame rolls around there'll be hunts that I need to worry about being one-shotted in my squishy gunner armor and hunts that I don't. If I need to take one of those big hits and not cart, I'll grab a weapon honed for defense, eat for Felyne Defender and hope I can chug a Max Potion before the next hit. Otherwise, I'll take a weapon honed for attack and work on finishing it off faster.

I expect I'll have duplicates of the same weapon, each honed in a different way, by the time I'm through.

Tom_Cody

No, I just have many bad experiences against Brachydios. Fuckers always put a backstep on me, hit me with its left fist, jumped back, then used it slamming fist down attack while my hunter just finished getting up.

I wouldn't say Brachydios has a bad reputation, but rather, blastblight in general does. It can take away so much health.
That makes sense.

Being my first fight with him, I didn't even know that blastblight was a thing. I spontaneously exploded once during the fight (ironically while trying to bomb his head), so I will assume that this is because I had been slimed and didn't realize it. I think I partially just got lucky with avoiding his slime without realizing the trouble it could have caused me.

Actually, those low rank 6 star quests do indeed at least give you high rank materials from the Monster you hunt. As evidenced by the "Crazy Stupid Love" 6 star caravan quest to hunt a Gore Magala. Once you complete it, even though it's in the low rank section, you'll obtain high rank Gore Magala parts.

-Alternis
Nice! It looks like I'll be getting my next Gore bow upgrade much sooner than I had thought. I guess I should consider 6-star and 7-star to be essentially the same pool of quests at this point.

jorgejjvr

What I did was just go lobby shopping. I'd pick a lobby with no quest posted and quickly post the Monster they wanted, but apex. I would post Seregios for Zenith and Rajang for Zenith L. They're not too hard or bad, they just take a while. Just remember your wystones! All apex monsters have an area that can be cut through, even without drive.

-Alternis

Mupod

as a bow and HBG main, the ledge sheath is amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUquIxvirKg

granted you can't always make use of it if there are no ledges near where you're fighting, but it's a godsend for folding weapons when you can.

mind blown.

I think I've actually done this accidentally a few times but didn't think much of it. I've always done similar things with reloading and sheathing when I know a roar is coming.

jorgejjvr

My understanding is that, as long as it can't be upgraded anymore and isn't a Relic weapon, it can be honed. The Deadly Poison SnS is an 8* weapon and is the last in its line.

Lies.

Though what you stated was indeed true, there is another thing you do not know about. The weapon MUST be rare 8 or higher to be honed.

-Alternis

Shengar

Lies.

Though what you stated was indeed true, there is another thing you do not know about. The weapon MUST be rare 8 or higher to be honed.

-Alternis
Isn't that what he exactly said? I mean beside the rarity 8 and above, but it's already implied with his SnS rarity level.

jorgejjvr

Isn't that what he exactly said? I mean beside the rarity 8 and above, but it's already implied with his SnS rarity level.

I suppose, but something tells me he did not know about the rarity aspect of it, but everything else was accurate. I didn't wish for him to be misinformed somehow.

-Alternis

Quadraxis

So Gaf, i got a question. After having a really hard time against the Frenzied Brachydios in the 9 star village quests ( i main cb), i thought " Lets try to good ol' Hammer that i used in 3U ( my first mh). So i made the seltas hammer, tried it on the Tetsucabra and damm, the poundin' you give with the hammer is still so damm satisfying, especially that new charged jump attack into home run slam. So, after wrecking the T etsucabra and the Brachydios with relative ease, i want to make more hammers. Any advice on which hammers to make? (I'm hr4 online and just started 10* village)

tuffy

There are a few weapons that can't be upgraded anymore but aren't rarity 8 or above (like the Demon's Island) so they wouldn't be able to be honed, but that seems to be an unusual case.

I suppose, but something tells me he did not know about the rarity aspect of it, but everything else was accurate. I didn't wish for him to be misinformed somehow.

-Alternis

I think there are a couple of weapon lines that end at 7*, so that is important info that I left out. The ones that come to mind are the EX weapons and the Demon's Island.

wiibomb

I just managed to finish that HR8+ Akantor.. it hits like a fucking truck... 2 hits and I'm dead..

but I was questioning that quest... why do that quest over the HR7 one? there is nothing special in that one, right?

Shiina

So Gaf, i got a question. After having a really hard time against the Frenzied Brachydios in the 9 star village quests ( i main cb), i thought " Lets try to good ol' Hammer that i used in 3U ( my first mh). So i made the seltas hammer, tried it on the Tetsucabra and damm, the poundin' you give with the hammer is still so damm satisfying, especially that new charged jump attack into home run slam. So, after wrecking the T etsucabra and the Brachydios with relative ease, i want to make more hammers. Any advice on which hammers to make? (I'm hr4 online and just started 10* village)

You have access to Seregios so you could farm its hammer. The self-sharpening gimmick should go fairly well with hammers.

Beats

I just managed to finish that HR8+ Akantor.. it hits like a fucking truck... 2 hits and I'm dead..

but I was questioning that quest... why do that quest over the HR7 one? there is nothing special in that one, right?

That quest lets you trade more parts at the Wyporium when you complete it.

Faiz

After a little break to deal with real life I finally started playing again and unlocked Molten Tigrex.

Yeah, ok, Molten is for real. I'm probably a little rusty but he's proving a real challenge. It's been all I can do so far to break the claw and end by subquest. Ironically that's (slowly) giving me the parts needed to upgrade to Aslat Charger+ but obviously that's not good enough.

jorgejjvr

Its all about the challenge, friend. There are a few quest that give different rewards though. Like the HR8 furious Rajang.

-Alternis

Mupod

Is the sharpness gimmick worth it over extra elemental damage? The raw damage seems good though.

elemental damage isn't insignificant on hammers but it's not that important either. Go for the biggest raw and sharpness you can find.

I'm in the market for a G rank hammer, I'm thinking Molten Tigrex. That one looks amazing and I have a few extra blasthearts. But I'm curious what the generally accepted 'best' hammer is.

jorgejjvr

elemental damage isn't insignificant on hammers but it's not that important either. Go for the biggest raw and sharpness you can find.

I'm in the market for a G rank hammer, I'm thinking Molten Tigrex. That one looks amazing and I have a few extra blasthearts. But I'm curious what the generally accepted 'best' hammer is.

I was always lead to believe that deviljho weapons tend to have the most damage out of that weapon class. At least, that's how it was in 3U.

-Alternis

wiibomb

Its all about the challenge, friend. There are a few quest that give different rewards though. Like the HR8 furious Rajang.

-Alternis

oh, of course, but one time challenge... for farming methods, that quest is just too impractical, so I guess I'll stick with the HR7 akantor

when it comes to the furious Rajang, yeah, that quest is worth even with the ridiculous damages, but I think that's it.... oh and may be the Savage Jho

Shiina

Fatalis Iregard probably but you need access to Crimson Fatalis. Huge raw, huge purple, no rare materials and some fire damage thrown on top.

jorgejjvr

I was always lead to believe that deviljho weapons always had the top raw damage out of any weapon class. That's how it was in Tri and 3U.

-Alternis

I'm really torn over Apex. The fact you can customize your Wystones and have it give Attack, Defense, and how long it lasts or other degrees of bonuses is cool, and it makes battles have more of an ebb and flow with pressure to apply and use the Wystone at the right moment, but making you bounce off the monster without it is really really punishing, I think all they have to do is make it so that hits without the Wystone on just do very very little damage, but still hit.

Top Bottom