• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Shiina

I'm really torn over Apex. The fact you can customize your Wystones and have it give Attack, Defense, and how long it lasts or other degrees of bonuses is cool, and it makes battles have more of an ebb and flow with pressure to apply and use the Wystone at the right moment, but making you bounce off the monster without it is really really punishing, I think all they have to do is make it so that hits without the Wystone on just do very very little damage, but still hit.

Sure is fun having your bug bounce off when you don't have drive active, making you essentially useless if it's on cooldown and the monster hasn't been knocked out of apex. Luckily you can still get red from Rajang.

Sure is fun having your bug bounce off when you don't have drive active, making you essentially useless if it's on cooldown and the monster hasn't been knocked out of apex. Luckily you can still get red from Rajang.
I think they could even have it wreck sharpness super hard if you hit in apex without drive, but bouncing off is so fucking bad.

Mupod

Fatalis Iregard probably but you need access to Crimson Fatalis. Huge raw, huge purple, no rare materials and some fire damage thrown on top.

well, if I manage to kill that thing anytime soon, its parts are going into an HBG first.

Does seem like crimson fatalis weapons are ridiculously good across the board though. It's a recurring problem with MH that we get all this equipment variety but a handful are just objectively better than others.

jorgejjvr

I think they could even have it wreck sharpness super hard if you hit in apex without drive, but bouncing off is so fucking bad.

Why is everyone complaining about bouncing off? Besides the insect glaive, every other weapon can still do tons of damage without drive. Every single monster has a weak spot you can cut through, even when they're apex. For example, you can always cut through Rajang's butt/hind legs, Seregios' legs, Deviljho' legs, Tigrex's head, etc.

-Alternis

Why is everyone complaining about bouncing off? Besides the insect glaive, every other weapon can still do tons of damage without drive. Every single monster has a weak spot you can cut through, even when they're apex. For example, you can always cut through Rajang's butt/hind legs, Seregios' legs, Deviljho' legs, Tigrex' head, etc.

-Alternis
I'm just not a huge fan of the way it works, personally. I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about it though. The weak spots are ok, but I still think it's a bit too much. It's just my opinion though, I like the idea of Apex being top tier G rank, I just want to like it more.

jorgejjvr

I'm just not a huge fan of the way it works, personally. I'm sure I'm not the first to complain about it though. The weak spots are ok, but I still think it's a bit too much. It's just my opinion though, I like the idea of Apex being top tier G rank, I just want to like it more.

I personally don't have much of an issue with it. I use drive and hurt the Monster as much as I can, then use my second Wystone (element) and focus on the weak spots (especially when they fall). It simple.

-Alternis

Mupod

I didn't have any problems bouncing off Apex Rajang with my GS. Happened maybe once, I never bounced when I went for the face or tail. Maybe the back legs bounce sometimes, or maybe I accidentally hit something else.

My issue with his apex form is how few openings he has. Even Furious Rajang lets me snipe his horns and roll away to the left safely. Feels like Apex starts that punch combo a hair faster.

I did notice that he doesn't turn around when he hauls that giant ass rock out of the ground, he throws it in the direction he's facing. Normally you can't safely go in on Rajang when he's holding a piece of the scenery since he can aim it, but the big one he's wide open until it's thrown. I wasn't sure about it though so I hesitated to go after his tail when he was throwing it - it's a long animation and I could get an L3 charge.

wiibomb

Why is everyone complaining about bouncing off? Besides the insect glaive, every other weapon can still do tons of damage without drive. Every single monster has a weak spot you can cut through, even when they're apex. For example, you can always cut through Rajang's butt/hind legs, Seregios' legs, Deviljho' legs, Tigrex's head, etc.

-Alternis

may be they need sets with the Mind's Eye skill... but I haven't fought them though

Man it sucks sometimes seeing my purple sharpness seregios gunlance bounce on white monoblos and my more reliable poison gunlance is stuck behind dlc of all things (gold rathian). So I wonder, would I be better off using it anyway since poison does a lot to those monsters or should I stick to seregios since it's more reliable at this point.

Shengar

Just changed my palicoes to Stealing forte and my main Palico already giving a Gore Magala Mantle.
Now you palicoes, officially surpasses Chacha and Kayamba in my eyes.

PrankT

I missed the honing discussion from earlier. After trying them all I think Attack and Defense are both great, but Life was terrible. I was set on using Life on the hunting horn since I figured you can just play without ever putting the weapon away. However, the healing is not often enough, and if you are playing against an apex or hard hitting monster then you won't want to try to fight them to get your life back after you get hit once or twice...you need to run off and get a guaranteed heal since you will die in one more hit.

Attack is awesome since damage is always useful for knocking out of frenzy, apex, etc.

Defense is awesome for divine blessing (life saver!) and extra defense.

Right now I'm using Attack on great sword since you don't get hit as often, and Defense for horn/hammer since I tend to get slapped a lot with the slower animations and general dumb gameplay I use with those weapons.

Shengar

may be they need sets with the Mind's Eye skill... but I haven't fought them though
Even with mind's eye and steady hand, your attack will still bounce.
I agree though that it's only IG who receives the very short end ofbthe stick when fighting Apex monster. This is the moment that makes me wish rhenoplos, ioprey, or alataroth being around more often.

Mupod

Just changed my palicoes to Stealing forte and my main Palico already giving a Gore Magala Mantle.
Now you palicoes, officially surpasses Chacha and Kayamba in my eyes.

see I started using stealing cats and they never got me anything. But I never tried it with all 1st stringers set to stealing.

I've really warmed up to bomb cats. They actually serve a similar function in that their relentless bombing gets me lots of extra breaks and therefore loot. I'm playing melee again though so maybe I should change them back...funny, I forgot about it while fighting Furious Rajang and they never knocked me back with bombs once. Probably because they were KO'd the whole time, lol.

Man it sucks sometimes seeing my purple sharpness seregios gunlance bounce on white monoblos and my more reliable poison gunlance is stuck behind dlc of all things (gold rathian). So I wonder, would I be better off using it anyway since poison does a lot to those monsters or should I stick to seregios since it's more reliable at this point.

what's it bouncing off of? The head? I mean, you're using a gunlance. Blow the horn off with shelling then ignore the hard parts and poke him in the nuts.

Shengar

Sadly the Deviljho hammer is kind of mediocre in 4u.
I'm sad that Jho LS is heavily nerfed in MH4U. Reaver Calamity is the shit. It's a HR LS that you could easily farm with 793 raw and white sharpness. Now Reaver Calamity barely got blue sharpness.

see I started using stealing cats and they never got me anything. But I never tried it with all 1st stringers set to stealing.

I've really warmed up to bomb cats. They actually serve a similar function in that their relentless bombing gets me lots of extra breaks and therefore loot. I'm playing melee again though so maybe I should change them back...funny, I forgot about it while fighting Furious Rajang and they never knocked me back with bombs once. Probably because they were KO'd the whole time, lol.

what's it bouncing off of? The head? I mean, you're using a gunlance. Blow the horn off with shelling then ignore the hard parts and poke him in the nuts.

Nah It's when I get him on the ground and he's wiggling sometimes his wing like to get in my way then I bounce. And i'm using partbreaker so the horn is gone super fast.

wiibomb

Even with mind's eye and steady hand, your attack will still bounce.
I agree though that it's only IG who receives the very short end ofbthe stick when fighting Apex monster. This is the moment that makes me wish rhenoplos, ioprey, or alataroth being around more often.

Apex monsters seem to bounce stuff that will normally ignore sharpness. For example the sword mode of Switch Axe that goes through anything will bounce.

Mind's eye doesn't prevent you from bouncing off Apex monsters. You always will bounce regardless.

-Alternis

goddamn!! that's insane, I guess without those famous stones it's pretty much imposible.. I mean, a single bounce would put you in a very vulnerable state because of that animation

Shengar

I'm expecting that at some point, they gonna give me a mantle but not that fast :p

Those bomber palicoes, I've read their skill descriptioN. Honestly I can wait to get bimbed left ans right while trying to mow down the monster lol

I just use Treasure cats and get fun stuff all the time. Great for getting more Ores and Earth Crystals and stuff. I think my first stringers are all Treasure and Support.

Mupod

I'm expecting that at some point, they gonna give me a mantle but not that fast :p

Those bomber palicoes, I've read their skill descriptioN. Honestly I can wait to get bimbed left ans right while trying to mow down the monster lol

I have a suspicion that their AI has been improved since past games. Meaning I'm not getting blown up more than the monster.

I've also noticed other subtle things - if you poison bomb a banannarama or altaroth, they put their weapons away and stop attacking instead of just killing them and wasting your bombs.

jorgejjvr

God I am in love with the Grand Divine Ire armor. It looks insanely good and I got:

Latent Power +2 (when fighting things that don't get very angry often, the affinity is epic)

Challenger +2

Speed sharpening

Elemental attack up

Speed gathering

Divine protection

Pretty great, plus it's only weak to ice!

-Alternis

Nohar

Hi GAF,

I need some help to complete some quests which grant new materials upon success, namely Rival Clash (G2 - Seregios + Rathalos). Anyone interested to give an hand? I'm free to help afterward for whatever you want to try.

ID room: 04-4024-2266-1613
Password: 1289.

Hi GAF,

I need some help to complete some quests which grant new materials upon success, namely Rival Clash (G2 - Seregios + Rathalos). Anyone interested to give an hand? I'm free to help afterward for whatever you want to try.

Let me beat up this blos first and i'll go help. Unless the room fills up quick then nvm me.

jorgejjvr

Hi GAF,

Would you be up for some guild quests to farm some divine spheres once you finish doing what you need?

-Alternis

Beats

Do any of you have an Awakening set? I'd love some suggestions for a good Blademaster set to go for, now that I'm G1.

I use the Chaos/Nephilim set for one of my fire SnS weapons (Serevento) since I can't upgrade the rathalos one at the moment. My set has:

Attack Up (XL)
Part Breaker
Awaken
Evasion+1

The G-Rank Seregios set is pretty popular as a general set for Blademasters in early and even late G-Rank. It has a lot of slots too, so you have a good amount of room for customization tailored to your weapon of choice.

Juraash

So I hit G3 on Sunday and haven't really made any progress forward online since. Is there anyone not playing Bloodborne tonight that might want to do some G3 after like...6ish PST?

Just kinda putting feelers out.

tuffy

So I hit G3 on Sunday and haven't really made any progress forward online since. Is there anyone not playing Bloodborne tonight that might want to do some G3 after like...6ish PST?
I should be able to be around then. I've finally tracked down a decent pierce gun and could do keys (I think Chameleos is all I have left), farm Molten Tigrexes for Blasthearts, or whatever.

Parshias7

Walking into the next zone and Rajang at the entrance attacking...

It hurts. It still hurts. ;_;

I remember one time back in 3U I was doing the double Brachydios quest online. We were fighting both of them in the same area (bad idea) and I was really low on health, so I switched zones to heal up and get rid of blastblight. I use one Mega Potion and then *dun!* one of the Brachys shows up directly behind me. Scared me shitless. Managed to make it out alive, though.

Juraash

I should be able to be around then. I've finally tracked down a decent pierce gun and could do keys (I think Chameleos is all I have left), farm Molten Tigrexes for Blasthearts, or whatever.

Right on. I'm not sure how bad G3 is, but I've handled everything progression related on my own this far. So I'm fairly sure we could make short work of a few keys. Kushala is the one I think would be the biggest pain in the ass solo as a GS user.

I'm not totally sure what it takes to get crowned but I'd like to hit that this week and get my GS to lvl 10. So any progress we make would be awesome.

I remember one time back in 3U I was doing the double Brachydios quest online. We were fighting both of them in the same area (bad idea) and I was really low on health, so I switched zones to heal up and get rid of blastblight. I use one Mega Potion and then *dun!* one of the Brachys shows up directly behind me. Scared me shitless. Managed to make it out alive, though.

3U Brachy has got nothing on Rajang. The game provides these huge open fields to fight in and it stillf eels like being traped in a cage with a furious lion.

tuffy

Right on. I'm not sure how bad G3 is, but I've handled everything progression related on my own this far. So I'm fairly sure we could make short work of a few keys. Kushala is the one I think would be the biggest pain in the ass solo as a GS user.
I just turned Daora bits into a weapon yesterday, so I'm least worried about that one (barring any more surprise tornadoes). I've got a set with plenty of flame resistance for Teostra. And I've got plenty of pierce shot for Ukanlos, who's mostly an exercise in running (either towards or away from). Still need to tackle Caravan Chameleos for practice though, schedule permitting.
I'm not totally sure what it takes to get crowned but I'd like to hit that this week and get my GS to lvl 10. So any progress we make would be awesome.
From what I can tell, the 10 star keys are just a repeat of the high rank elder dragon run all over again. Only now everything's G rank.

Kyzon

So I just started the Caravaneer's Challenge.

Do I just run between monsters and let them duke it out, or is it preferable to try and take shots when I can?

I'm going HBG right now, lol

tuffy

Do I just run between monsters and let them duke it out, or is it preferable to try and take shots when I can?

I think it's generally preferable to play it cautiously and let the Rajang clobber Zinogre before finishing him off and moving on to Shagaru Magala.

Or if all else fails, trade your power barrel for a shield.

My good sir, how do you unlock that challenge?

-Alternis

You have to be HR7, then do every Low Rank quest.

Kyzon said:

If it's anything like the one in MH3U, throwing down a smoke bomb will help. They won't notice you much for a while.

Kyzon

I think it's generally preferable to play it cautiously and let the Rajang clobber Zinogre before finishing him off and moving on to Shagaru Magala.

Or if all else fails, trade your power barrel for a shield.

Carving is not happening I take it, right? lol

If I fail this first time Imma go blademaster though most likely.
Zinogre just went Frenzy and this is not looking good, lol

Juraash

I just turned Daora bits into a weapon yesterday, so I'm least worried about that one (barring any more surprise tornadoes). I've got a set with plenty of flame resistance for Teostra. And I've got plenty of pierce shot for Ukanlos, who's mostly an exercise in running (either towards or away from). Still need to tackle Caravan Chameleos for practice though, schedule permitting.

From what I can tell, the 10 star keys are just a repeat of the high rank elder dragon run all over again. Only now everything's G rank.

Nice, Teostra has been the least problematic so far. Ukanlos hasn't been a big deal either. Though I'm not sure how much nastier they get in G-Rank. I too need/want to practice Chameleons since I haven't fought him since MHFU.

That high rank elder dragon run was probably my least favorite stretch so far. I'll be glad to open G3 up a bit more.

Mupod

If it's anything like the one in MH3U, throwing down a smoke bomb will help. They won't notice you much for a while.

You can, but you have to throw it IMMEDIATELY. If you can do enough damage during the bomb to knock Zinogre out of his powered up mode then you're in good shape. Rajang will kill him surprisingly fast and both have very low hp.

Kyzon

You can, but you have to throw it IMMEDIATELY. If you can do enough damage during the bomb to knock Zinogre out of his powered up mode then you're in good shape. Rajang will kill him surprisingly fast and both have very low hp.

That's probably what I'll have to do if I fail this time.

jackal27

Banned
So I just hit high rank. A friend told me I really need to start focusing on finding armors that go well with my weapon now. Is that true? I've been doing just fine so far just crafting armor sets I think look cool or whatever.

I've been using charge blade and it's definitely
My favorite weapon out of all the Monster Hunter games I've played in the past btw.

Ok experts,

I'm now up to 7* quests offline and HR4 online and I feel I'm ready to branch out a little in terms of how I tackle the quests.

I'm mainly using charge blade and don't really have to employ any tactics or items to get the job done. I just hack until charged and then power the shield and unload with the axe when I get an opening. Sure, I dodge and block and have to run away to gulp a mega or antidote but that's about it.

I'm looking at the long list of items wondering if I'm missing out on using any that could be both helpful and fun to use. I mean, I never use bombs, drugged meat, dung bombs, tranq knifes etc, or any of that stuff.

What say you?

tuffy

I'm looking at the long list of items wondering if I'm missing out on using any that could be both helpful and fun to use. I mean, I never use bombs, drugged meat, dung bombs, tranq knifes etc, or any of that stuff.

What say you?
A lot of that stuff like drugged meats and throwing knives are situational, but you'll always want to bring a full set of dung bombs with you. Has the monster pounced on you? Use a dung bomb to get away instantly. Two monsters rampaging around the same room? Use a dung bomb on one to chase it into another area. Is the monster in some room you just don't like to fight in? Use a dung bomb to drive it into a better room.

They're a smelly necessity.

Nohar

Thank you very much for your help with my quests! I'll be back a little later if anyone need help (Xafina still needs to beat Gogmazios).

Top Bottom