• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

Mupod

Ok experts,

I'm now up to 7* quests offline and HR4 online and I feel I'm ready to branch out a little in terms of how I tackle the quests.

I'm mainly using charge blade and don't really have to employ any tactics or items to get the job done. I just hack until charged and then power the shield and unload with the axe when I get an opening. Sure, I dodge and block and have to run away to gulp a mega or antidote but that's about it.

I'm looking at the long list of items wondering if I'm missing out on using any that could be both helpful and fun to use. I mean, I never use bombs, drugged meat, dung bombs, tranq knifes etc, or any of that stuff.

What say you?

They're situational really. I'm in the habit of planning my inventory out meticulously - I don't always use all this crap, but I like having some of it around. Item sets make it easy!

Barrel Bombs - useful for breaking parts. If you're having trouble breaking something like a Diablos horn or whatever, give them a try. Their damage bypasses defenses.

Flashbombs - good for knocking flyers out of the sky or getting a quick breather to sharpen, set a trap, or carve a tail.

Sonic bombs - bring these to Diablos/Monoblos and throw them as it burrows - time it as the tail disappears under the sand. You'll get a nice big opening, even longer if it's tired. They're immune while raging though. Also works on Cephadrome.

Drugged meat - only really useful on Deviljho and Congalala who go after that shit like it's candy. Can speed up the fights a lot, try sleepy meat then using that super move thing that CB has on a weak point.

Dung bombs - you should be carrying these at all times. They get you out of pin attacks and cause monsters to flee areas - good for separating two in dual monster missions.

Poison/tranq knives - don't get used to these, it's rare they show up in the box and you can't make your own. But they are very powerful and it only takes a few hits to apply the status. The Kushala Daora caravan mission gives you tons of poison knives and some basic throwing knives - I brought extra toadstools and was able to keep him poisoned most of the fight. Which you pretty much need to do or else he's a pain in the ass.

Demondrug/armorskin - it's the same buff as the food skills and doesn't stack. But when I eat for attack up, I bring an armorskin along and vice versa. It lasts until you die so why not? Mega Demondrug is the same as Attack Up (L), and the regular one is equivalent to medium. But unless you're willing to farm khezu for weeks be careful what you bring those to, I stick to the regular ones.

Might/adamant seeds - give you a nice attack/defense boost and last for 5 minutes. When I'm 'serious' I bring these.

Might pills - give you a pretty huge attack boost for 20 seconds. This is what I use to murder the fuck out of Rajang while it's in a trap, I don't think anything else is threatening enough to bother.

Mosswine Jerky - secret best item. Buy tons of it from the guildhall vendor during a sale. It recovers all red health and cures Seregios-induced bleeding. In g-rank it's a free mega pot or more.

Combo books can be helpful to bring too. On 'serious' fights I bring an extra book and a 10 stack of honey - 10 more mega pots.

Shiina

Demondrug/armorskin - it's the same buff as the food skills and doesn't stack. But when I eat for attack up, I bring an armorskin along and vice versa. It lasts until you die so why not? Mega Demondrug is the same as Attack Up (L), and the regular one is equivalent to medium. But unless you're willing to farm khezu for weeks be careful what you bring those to, I stick to the regular ones.

You can meld the extracts at the juju guy, only needs some frenzy crystals.

They're situational really. I'm in the habit of planning my inventory out meticulously - I don't always use all this crap, but I like having some of it around. Item sets make it easy!

Barrel Bombs - useful for breaking parts. If you're having trouble breaking something like a Diablos horn or whatever, give them a try. Their damage bypasses defenses.

Flashbombs - good for knocking flyers out of the sky or getting a quick breather to sharpen, set a trap, or carve a tail.

Sonic bombs - bring these to Diablos/Monoblos and throw them as it burrows - time it as the tail disappears under the sand. You'll get a nice big opening, even longer if it's tired. They're immune while raging though. Also works on Cephadrome.

Drugged meat - only really useful on Deviljho and Congalala who go after that shit like it's candy. Can speed up the fights a lot, try sleepy meat then using that super move thing that CB has on a weak point.

Dung bombs - you should be carrying these at all times. They get you out of pin attacks and cause monsters to flee areas - good for separating two in dual monster missions.

Poison/tranq knives - don't get used to these, it's rare they show up in the box and you can't make your own. But they are very powerful and it only takes a few hits to apply the status. The Kushala Daora caravan mission gives you tons of poison knives and some basic throwing knives - I brought extra toadstools and was able to keep him poisoned most of the fight. Which you pretty much need to do or else he's a pain in the ass.

Might/adamant seeds - give you a nice attack/defense boost and last for 5 minutes. When I'm 'serious' I bring these.

Might pills - give you a pretty huge attack boost for 20 seconds. This is what I use to murder the fuck out of Rajang while it's in a trap, I don't think anything else is threatening enough to bother.

Mosswine Jerky - secret best item. Buy tons of it from the guildhall vendor during a sale. It recovers all red health and cures Seregios-induced bleeding. In g-rank it's a free mega pot or more.

Combo books can be helpful to bring too. On 'serious' fights I bring an extra book and a 10 stack of honey - 10 more mega pots.

Awesome thanks! (And thanks to the first replier)

That's really helpful, I'll try that stuff out.

Can I detonate a barrel bomb l with a boomerang? I have a boomerang and don't really see much else use for it.

I thought monsters were attracted to dung bombs? I don't get how you would use one to get a monster to change room?

Lastly, how do you manage to quickly select the right item without panicking? There's no way I could cycle to dung bombs whilst being pinned. I'd probably cart whilst flipping through my stuff lol.

Mupod

Awesome thanks! (And thanks to the first replier)

That's really helpful, I'll try that stuff out.

Can I detonate a barrel bomb l with a boomerang? I have a boomerang and don't really see much else use for it.

I thought monsters were attracted to dung bombs? I don't get how you would use one to get a monster to change room?

Lastly, how do you manage to quickly select the right item without panicking? There's no way I could cycle to dung bombs whilst being pinned. I'd probably cart whilst flipping through my stuff lol.

I use paintballs to detonate bombs. Boomerang would work I guess but who has inventory space for that? You can also detonate large bombs with small bombs - the small ones are timed.

Monsters don't like poop being thrown in their face - not even the ones you'd expect to enjoy it.

I put dung bombs, paintballs, and mega pots on my bottom screen quick item bar thing.

tuffy

Not sure if it'll detonate bombs, but boomerangs are a handy source of slicing damage for when you need a tail cut off and don't have a bladed weapon.
Monsters don't like dung bombs. Though not 100% effective, they'll usually leave the area shortly after being hit by one. This happens even if you use one to escape being pinned.
There's typically some sort of canned monster pinning animation where the camera will pan out before bringing up the "mash buttons to escape" bar when the monster starts taking bites. Use that time to cycle through your items for the only usable one (the dung bombs) and let him have it. Done quickly and you'll get away with only minimal damage.

Prototype

Use small bombs to blow up big bombs. I used to use stones or boomerangs, but throwing items can be hard to aim right sometimes and you may find yourself messing up good opportunities.

Small barrel bombs have a short fuse and work perfectly everytime.

I bombed a lot in 3U with my GS play style. And this was the most consistent way to do it.

Mupod

Anyone up G rank quests?

Or is everyone playing bloodborne now.. ; ;

worse, stuck at work.

I'm the only one here so I had a little devil on my shoulder telling me to go home early. Good thing I didn't 'cause the boss showed up 5 minutes ago and stuck his head in here.

But yeah it'll be bloodborne for a week or two. Although tonight is a WoW raid night, I don't know how I let my friends talk me into this shit again.

Leezard

Crimson Fatalis is weak to ice, right? Kiranico/Pings dex/etc says nothing, but his armor is weak to ice...

Anyone up G rank quests?

Or is everyone playing bloodborne now.. ; ;

Sure, I'm up for it!

How do you unlock the G rank Furious rajang quest? I don't see it on any guides, it's not even a scroll quest.

You have to kill 80 G-rank fanged beasts. You spam the kecha wacha hunt-a-thon until you unlock it.

Beats

I tend to bring bounce bombs against flying enemies. I've knocked Rathalos a few times out of the air when it was trying to leave the area. And Shagaru Magala too when it goes up in the air to roar.

How do you unlock the G rank Furious rajang quest? I don't see it on any guides, it's not even a scroll quest.

You have to kill 80 Fanged Beasts.

When a monster is sleeping, it takes 3x damage for the hit it woke it up, right?
I use to lay two Large Bombs (usually near the part I want to break) and then throw a Paintball or Boomerang to detonate them. But, if the boomerang or the paintball goes through the bombs, will it deal triple damage instead of the bombs?

jorgejjvr

When a monster is sleeping, it takes 3x damage for the hit it woke it up, right?
I use to lay two Large Bombs (usually near the part I want to break) and then throw a Paintball or Boomerang to detonate them. But, if the boomerang or the paintball goes through the bombs, will it deal triple damage instead of the bombs?

Exactly. Never throw paintballs and such at the Monster, because it will hit the Monster first, wake it up, and be useless. Throw it in such a way that what you throw doesn't hit the Monster. Same with small barrel bombs, they should be far enough away to detonate the large bombs, but not too close so that it's not the first hit.

-Alternis

tm24

Man, Silver Rathalos takes forever. Not as annoying as Azure, but goddamn that fight took seemingly forever. Whatever, got a Ruby out of it, so yay!

Mupod

Man, Silver Rathalos takes forever. Not as annoying as Azure, but goddamn that fight took seemingly forever. Whatever, got a Ruby out of it, so yay!

his weak points are different from a regular rathalos, if you were hitting the head that would explain why. I go for the legs, wings, and back.

Nohar

Available if Xafina (KittenMaster here I believe? Not sure) needs help for his Gogmazios. Send me a PM and/or post here and create a room, I'll join shortly.

w00zey

So I am progressing along and have a set now with attack up and health up and was smart enough to gem -1 in that stamina one that is bad. Looking at the sets at the moment I really have exactly what I want and that feels good.

What I was hoping for clarification on is feeding my insect grieve. On a base level I get that I give it the necter I want to boost the stats of but what I don't understand is if it follows the +10 rule or if it increments differently.

Exactly. Never throw paintballs and such at the Monster, because it will hit the Monster first, wake it up, and be useless. Throw it in such a way that what you throw doesn't hit the Monster. Same with small barrel bombs, they should be far enough away to detonate the large bombs, but not too close so that it's not the first hit.

-Alternis

I see, thank you.

Shiina said:
I just go in and detonate the thing myself

Guess I've got to do that.

Another question. I've been toying with sleep bombing and has been really effective against early-G (this is the first time I reach Rank G), specially with the Iodrome armor with Status Atk+2, I can sleep them about five or six times a fight with the Bloodslaughter. But, that's solo. Do you think a Paralysis Sword (Co Dolgan) would be more effective in Multi (and even Solo) hunts?

What about poison? Would that be more effective in racking up damage than Sleep Bombing solo?

No kidding, that guy's a freaking tank. He has 1700 more HP than High Rank Azure Rath and his resistances are way lower (meaning he takes less damage) than HR Azure.

Nohar

What about poison? Would that be more effective in racking up damage than Sleep Bombing solo?

Honestly, I think the Slime/Blast element is more powerful that poison most of the time (very low tolerance which increases slowly, deals high damage and destroy monsters parts very easily), though I could be mistaken. It is supposed to be nerfed compared to MH3U, but if the charts I saw were correct, then it's still incredibly powerful.

I see, thank you.

Guess I've got to do that.

Another question. I've been toying with sleep bombing and has been really effective against early-G (this is the first time I reach Rank G), specially with the Iodrome armor with Status Atk+2, I can sleep them about five or six times a fight with the Bloodslaughter. But, that's solo. Do you think a Paralysis Sword (Co Dolgan) would be more effective in Multi (and even Solo) hunts?

All monsters have different resistances to each status effect, as well as their potency, so it's kind of subjective. For some, they get paralyzed longer, some get poisoned longer/take more damage, etc. If you really like using status weapons, you'll want to get a good one of each status, and use whichever one would be best for the target monster.

All monsters have different resistances to each status effect, as well as their potency, so it's kind of subjective. For some, they get paralyzed longer, some get poisoned longer/take more damage, etc. If you really like using status weapons, you'll want to get a good one of each status, and use whichever one would be best for the target monster.

I see. Well, it seems I have to amass a good collection of Swords then.
Thanks a lot.

I see. Well, it seems I have to amass a good collection of Swords then.
Thanks a lot.

I will say, though, if you're playing online, it's hard to beat a good Paralyze weapon. You'll do the most damage with it, since you'll be potentially giving 4 people free reign to just wail on a monster for a few seconds.

Pierate

Well, I used to hate Rathalos and it's homing poison claws, but I just fought Cephadrome and now I'm not sure how i feel anymore.

Leezard

I think he's most weak to Dragon, according to the spreadsheet.

Nice spreadsheet!

He's really weak to dragon, yeah, but it can be very difficult to hit him in his face with Dragon S, since his face is what is really weak to dragon.

I've brought my Dragon S set for him the time I have fought him, but it would be much simpler to aim for his head with Ice S, and not as punishing to miss.

Nice spreadsheet!

He's really weak to dragon, yeah, but it can be very difficult to hit him in his face with Dragon S, since his face is what is really weak to dragon.

I've brought my Dragon S set for him the time I have fought him, but it would be much simpler to aim for his head with Ice S, and not as punishing to miss.

How is Dragon S? I've honestly never ever used it. Is it like any other element shot?

Leezard

How is Dragon S? I've honestly never ever used it. Is it like any other element shot?

It's way different; It works like piercing shot but without any critical distance. You can also only carry 3 shots (13 with max combine materials). It deals tons of damage if you can get the right angle, but against things like Fatalis head it is such a bother unless he is paralyzed, and even then you can probably only get off one shot (rapid fire) before he is un-paralyzed.

Wanting to get the gog urgent out of the way. Already beat it once (though I only know how to fight it melee, I am not skilled with the artillery)

52-9613-2294-8639

pass: 8525

Not entirely sure if this is the right place to but this, but I got the wrong item in an ebay auction (was trying to get a Zamtrios figure). Can anyone help me figure out how this is supposed to be assembled? I can't seem to find pictures of this online.

fW2lle0vEtRyCMmX34hy1sVpKu0bqNX8ywIMTOzV0I4LAYspN

Top Bottom