• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate |OT2| I'm Felyne Eggs-tatic!

So two questions...

Just got G rank on Friday, what's a good place to start in terms of what I should be initially working on (weapons, resources, items...?)

Second, do custom holographic colors still exist like they did in MHFU? I miss having custom rainbow glowing gear

So two questions...

Just got G rank on Friday, what's a good place to start in terms of what I should be initially working on (weapons, resources, items...?)

Second, do custom holographic colors still exist like they did in MHFU? I miss having custom rainbow glowing gear

Can't go wrong with Tetsucabra armor, or Seregios armor starting out.

And yeah, you have to beat every LR Caravan quest for it.

ChrisD

I'm going to start up playing again in the next few weeks and wouldn't mind getting together a group of like minded people who want to slowly play through ALL of the multiplayer quests.

I'd love to join this. I'm still in High Rank gear, though. Have always wanted to say I completed a Monster Hunter.
I'll never complete a Monster Hunter

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'd love to join this. I'm still in High Rank gear, though. Have always wanted to say I completed a Monster Hunter.

You can join in! Ideally we'll get 5-6 people so we can spread the love of completionism.

I only really got into MH3u at the very end of 2013 and it took me until weeks before 4U came out to get everything I wanted out of the game...except finding people to finish all of those quests. I was just barely good enough to do some of the easier Advanced quests solo but I figure there has got to be some brave men and women out there who want to get it all done this time around.

Like I said though, I got hella distracted in February and am only 8 or 9 hours into the singleplayer! I'm starting from nothing!

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
It is possible to beat it. Its just that then people move to more complicated MMOs afterwards.
Or Bloodborne and the witcher.

ChrisD

It is possible to beat it. Its just that then people move to more complicated MMOs afterwards.
Or Bloodborne and the witcher.

I know much too well the woes of online games and slow communities.

Still miss Dungeon Defenders. :(

I just reached HR6. The punch in the face with the quests on offer was not expected. That's a lot of painful monsters in one batch.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If anyone needs the HR7 Urgent Quest, Speartip Menace, I'm sitting down to do it right now.

EDIT: Thank you so much guys, can't believe I'm finally done with HR!

brau

well.. everyone dropped... any other rooms? or should i make a new one? i am up for helping or just hunting for fun.

helping in this room

69-8105-0303-9887

Tom_Cody

Any weapon honing recommendations? I have some gems built up but I have been afraid to go the wrong route. How useful does health end up being?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

My weapons can't go any higher without hitting the G1 quests, unless you mean what kind of weapon I use: that's switch-axe. I'm thinking the EX Los armor or Akantor armor. Leaning towards the latter honestly because of sharpness +1 and I don't loose my earplugs. I would go down to only normal ear plugs though.

upandaway

I imagine when I get there that I'll actually go life on Great Swords, the heal from a charge 2/3 is NO JOKE.
Eh dunno, if I'm at less than 1/2 health I'm not gonna be trying to charge risking a death, I'll drink a potion ASAP.

Or rather if I was playing with gaffers I'd be healed back up with lifepowders before I even pull out my sword

Changing Fatalis to being a mostly grounded fight happened. I hated melee against psp Fatalis so that was the only fight I gunned.

Pretty much any melee weapon is 100% safe if you just hang out behind his hind legs. Works on Crimson too, but you gotta hug tighter because meteor blast radius can still hit you if you're even just a foot or two too far.

Amethyst went full rainbow.

Indeed!

In high rank you will have much better options, including the mixed Gore set (head, arms and legs from high rank, chest and pants from low rank) which helps a ton with sharpness +1 (

So, I just reached high rank caravan and I'm nowhere near high rank on the gathering hall. Been looking at some better armors now since I'm getting whipped around a bit more. Think the mixed Gore will be cool for a IG-guy like myself? Not really looking forward to having to fight that guy so much though ;) Been using Velci armor all through low rank and I could use the visual change.,

I'm also glancing at the charge blade and HBG/BOW a bit but I'll probably not go there just yet.

Tom_Cody

My weapons can't go any higher without hitting the G1 quests, unless you mean what kind of weapon I use: that's switch-axe. I'm thinking the EX Los armor or Akantor armor. Leaning towards the latter honestly because of sharpness +1 and I don't loose my earplugs. I would go down to only normal ear plugs though.
Yeah, I just meant what type.

I was a bow main up through the end of high rank but then I migrated over to Switch Axe. I picked up the weapon (and thus crafted equipment) as I straddled HR7/G1, so I was in your exact position.

As you probably know, defense is tiered to Low-rank, High-rank, and then G-rank. So, while you might see some nice skills with HR7/Rarity-7 equipment, you are almost certainly better off waiting a slight bit and crafting a G-rank set.

To answer your question more directly, I personally went straight from High-rank Tetsucabra (the mule I learned the weapon on) to Regios X to Nargacuga X. Seregios is the G1→G2 Urgent, so you will fight him a million times if you're playing online with randoms in G1 rooms, which makes it super easy to craft. It is a great utility set, especially when paired with the Seregios SA. The specific downside to it is that everyone uses it at that point in the game.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/regios-helm-x

IMO the best skills for Switch Axe are Evade Dist, Evasion +, and Handicraft (as will all Blademaster weapons), making the Nargacuga X set virtually ideal.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor/head/nargacuga-helm-x

And from there you can mix in Kushala parts and get a bit more gem freedom.
Narga X Mix: Evade +3, Evade Extender, Sharpness +1 Nargacuga Helm X (O), Kushala Cista X (1x Evade Jewel [2]), Nargacuga Braces X (1x Jumping Jewel [2]), Kushala Cocoon X (1x Artisan Jewel [3]), Nargacuga Greaves X

Tom_Cody

I dunno. Life Honing comes in handy sometimes.

In my experience, it's mostly useful to avoid being chip-damaged to death. But I tend to prefer Attack with duplicate weapons honed for Defense to avoid being one-shotted in high level Guild Quests.

I usually go attack on great sword and defense on everything else.

I imagine when I get there that I'll actually go life on Great Swords, the heal from a charge 2/3 is NO JOKE.
Thanks guys.

I think I'm just going to wait until if/when I actually move on to guild quests. As of right now I'm pretty comfortable with what I have for the G3 post-game content.

Eh dunno, if I'm at less than 1/2 health I'm not gonna be trying to charge risking a death, I'll drink a potion ASAP.

Or rather if I was playing with gaffers I'd be healed back up with lifepowders before I even pull out my sword
This is my main issue. On one hand it seems appealing, but one the other hand I don't think I would want to sit around waiting for a heal to happen in a pressure situation. In a fight like that I would just want more defense.

upandaway

I don't understand why they made S+1 so important. It's basically a requirement. It does nothing to the skill system or the depth of the gameplay and it's not fun. I'm so mad.

I'd understand if more weapons had natural purple sharpness, or if you had other ways to get purple sharpness like honing for sharpness or another upgrade on top of the final one or something, I don't know. As it is it's really just here to be annoying. It's the worst skill.

I'm mad.

Wiseblade

I'm a HUGE fan of the Charge Blade. It just does so much, it's hard to tear myself away at times. Once you get comfortable with guard Point counters it kind of makes the lance redundant.

Tom_Cody

I don't understand why they made S+1 so important. It's basically a requirement. It does nothing to the skill system or the depth of the gameplay and it's not fun. I'm so mad.

I'd understand if more weapons had natural purple sharpness, or if you had other ways to get purple sharpness like honing for sharpness or another upgrade on top of the final one or something, I don't know. As it is it's really just here to be annoying. It's the worst skill.

I'm mad.
I've spent a lot of time thinking about this topic. I personally use Sharpness +1 on all of my blademaster sets except for Regios/Regios, but there are times when it isn't optimal.

To break it down, S+1 gives a combination of increased attack, increased durability, and increased sharpness for most weapons. But some weapons are better served by minds eye or sharpness, or the variety of offensive skills that the game offers. Even knowing this, I personally can't get over that second sharpness bar on Kiranico's weapon profile pages. I can't not use S+1 knowing that it exists, but I can also be rational and say that there are other effective skill combinations.

To respond to your direct, I don't think it's broken in terms of actual effectiveness, but it does say something that such a high percentage of people use it on their end-game sets.

Wiseblade

I'm mad.
You're right though. The problem is that Honing for sharpness would completely outclass all the other categories, especially Attack. At least personally, I know that I would pick a hypothetical Handicraft /Loading hone on almost all of my DB/CB/Bows.

I'm mad.

I'm with you on this.

Doesn't change the way I play, personally (I don't have it on any of my sets), but it'd be nice if things were more balanced.

Edit: Oh wait, I do have it on one configuration of my Chameleos set. Still, I don't aim for it as a be all end all requirement. Maybe if I had a godlike handicraft charm I'd try harder. Friggin Shengar.

Ulthwe

What's the point of 1% drops? I was looking to build the Zinogre S armor set, but It requires a couple of Zinogre Jaspers, which are basically impossible to get...

I'm not going to grind for it at all, It basically makes me stop caring about the set. If I'm lucky and get one, I might build a weapon out of it.

tuffy

What's the point of 1% drops? I was looking to build the Zinogre S armor set, but It requires a couple of Zinogre Jaspers, which are basically impossible to get...

I'm not going to grind for it at all, It basically makes me stop caring about the set. If I'm lucky and get one, I might build a weapon out of it.
The quest reward odds aren't great until G rank. But with 3 carves at a 3% chance each, you've got about a 10% chance of carving at least 1 Jasper per high rank Zinogre. So you could do the 8 star Caravan Zinogre hunt-a-thon until one turns up.

jorgejjvr

Anybody up to hunt?

Regarding the sharpness +1, like I've said before, I never look for it specifically or make it a requirement, but since most end tier armor either already has it, has some points in it, or makes it easy to acquire, why not have it? Most of the time I have the skill due to it just being there or maybe putting a talisman and/or a jewel (like with Star Knight), but I can do without it.

-Alternis

Tom_Cody

First off, it's not 1%. Because you have multiple chances to get the drop (each carve, quest rewards, etc) it adds up. If you do the Caravan 6 quest "See the Lightning" (and break its head and pick up one shiny) you have an 18.07% chance of getting one.
http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/item/zinogre-jasper
http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/2dtv05/shadys_drop_rate_calculator/

Given that you will probably need to fight it 5-10 times anyway to get the other parts you need, you are more likely than not to get it during those runs.

Also, do you play online? You can either start or search for a Zinogre specific room and grind "Topple the Monarch" (Guild 5-star). You should be able to bang out a run every 5-7 minutes (plus or minus depending on the skill/equipment of your group).

Regarding "What's the point of 1% drops?" it indirectly tiers certain equipment to only those people who specifically go for it. The game is set up so you will only craft a handful of armor sets before the end-game (and which time you might only craft an additional handful) so this makes it actually mean something to craft a set. By the time you have built up enough materials to craft a set, you will probably have gotten pretty great at fighting that monster.

spiritfox

What frustrates me more is when you need a tail and you carve a gem. It's like you lost a good roll for something you don't need, and you need to get another tail again.

What frustrates me more is when you need a tail and you carve a gem. It's like you lost a good roll for something you don't need, and you need to get another tail again.

Yeah, apart from Seregios Lenses (took 30+, breaking faces and carving tails, to get a single one) and Shagaru/Gore mats in general, I have more problems getting more common mats like tails.

Had to kill so many Stygians because the bastard kept giving me Skymeralds instead of tails.

Top Bottom